Young Writers Society

Lincoln Wood College Prep: Senior Year

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Adrian

"Hey, Rupert," I took him aside and whispered into his ear, "I wanna hijack your party."

I drove to the zoo, making my way to the gardens. Lots of people reserved them, especially for weddings. I had to book my reservation weeks in advance.

How fitting, I mused.

The workers were hanging lights in the trees and setting up food, I let my fingers pat the small, blue, velvet box in my pocket once more. It was amazing how something so small could give me so much assurance.

She's going to say yes, I thought, she has to say yes.

I paused, "Are these...?"

"Euphorbia's, sir," one of the grounds keepers said.

"Also known as..." I paused, "Put the lights up here," I instructed them, "But don't turn them on until the right moment."

"Yes sir," he said.

They set up white tents with more food and refreshments and speakers and such. By 7, the botanical garden was really coming together and I watched appreciatively.

I dialed Jessie's phone, "Hi darling," I said, "Do you want to bring Isaac to the zoo really quickly?"

"I'm kinda at Rupert's party," she said, "Though a lot of people are leaving already, strangely. I don't want to leave him hanging and I wanted to keep an eye on Colette for you."

"Okay, well, I already go tickets, so will you head over here in, say, an hour or so?" I asked, watching with satisfaction as people began to trickle in. From Rupert's party.

"Of course, I love you," she said.

"Love you too, give Isaac kisses for me." I hung up, grinning to myself as the workers made the finishing touches and people went for the food and booze.

Please let her say yes.

An hour later, the manager of the park brought she and Isaac through the garden. She was wearing a loose sundress and flats and Isaac was wearing adorable khaki shorts and a collared shirt.

"Hey. It's kinda rude to show up Rupert's party, isn't it?"

Rupert appeared behind her, with Cole. "He's been planning this for a while, trust me, I don't mind."

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked, looking around at everything, "Did it slip your mind or...? It's not my birthday," she ticked things off her fingers, "It's not our anniversary, it's not Isaac's birthday," Michael Gates appeared next to her.

"Hi Dad," she said, kissing his cheek, "It's not his birthday, either," she giggled, "so what is all this?"

Everybody's eyes were on us and she was a mixture of nervous and confused. I brought her over to the Euphorbia flowers.

"Baby, these are Euphorbia flowers," I pointed to the clump of bushes with small yellow flowers, "And these are Alyssa flowers," I said, holding up a bouquet.

"Okay? They're pretty."

"Euphorbia flowers are often called 'Jessie's'," I spouted, "And Alyssa is the closest I could get to Alysia."

She smiled, "I'm still confused, honey," she bounced Isaac on her knee. Everyone was staring and I was fumbling with my words.

La Mer began to play, and recognition lit her features. This was the lullaby we both sang to Isaac, the only thing that ever calmed him down when he got fussy. The English version also happened to be the credit song of Finding Nemo.

La mer
Qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs
A des reflets d'argent
La mer
Des reflets changeants
Sous la pluie

"Jessie," as I said her name, the lights flickered on and someone handed me a microphone. She gasped, looking around at the now magical garden. The beautiful flowers and fountains were now accented by glittering lights and white tents, delicate pink paper lanterns hung from the trees.

Spoiler! :
This is the closest I could get to the venue.

I got down on my knee, pulling out the blue velvet box and flicking it open to reveal the ring inside. It was delicate white gold, with vines twisting around the beautiful diamond that sat in the middle.

Spoiler! :

"You are the most amazing girl, no-" I paused, "-woman, that I have ever met. I met you almost a year ago outside a Hotel in Paris, and my life will never be the same. You are more beautiful and delicate than a flower, and more fiery than the sun." I paused, "You are my sun, my world. And I am asking you now to do me the honor of becoming my wife. Will you marry me?"

Spoiler! :
@GuyFieri
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 am
View Likes
Ciblio says...

Jessie Soon-to-be-Beaumont

"A moment of happiness,
you and I sitting on the verandah,
apparently two, but one in soul, you and I.
We feel the flowing water of life here,
you and I, with the garden's beauty
and the birds singing.
The stars will be watching us,
and we will show them
what it is to be a thin crescent moon.
You and I unselfed, will be together,
indifferent to idle speculation, you and I.
The parrots of heaven will be cracking sugar
as we laugh together, you and I.
In one form upon this earth,
and in another form in a timeless sweet land."

(m.j.r.)

After everything I'd been through. After everyone that'd left me. After everything I couldn't do, this guy didn't care. This guy wanted to marry my imperfections. This guy wanted to look past all of the shit I'd had to endure and promise to be with me forever.

"Dammit, how'd I score this one?" was all that ran through my mind.

I blinked, and realized all the eyes were on me, and the guy that I could never stop loving was still in the same spot.

His knee trembled slightly, and his lips quivered slightly and I knew that this was the man I'd love for the rest of my life.

People stared at us, tears falling and lips parting into a smile, and I knew that these were the people I could love for the rest of my life.

My son was cooing, his blue eyes wide and tiny hands grasping at the air, desperately trying to reach the giraffe and the monkey with the circles attached to them, and I knew I would never stop loving him for the rest of my life.

And then there was me. My heart beating against my chest, my hands shaking, my dress blowing with the light breeze, the lights from the decorations shining off of the ring in the box in front of me, and I knew that I would love myself for this moment for the rest of my life.

I took a breath as tears built around my eyes, threatening to spill out at any moment. I couldn't speak. I knew my answer. I could say it a million times. But I was so overwhelmed with joy that the words weren't coming to my mouth and I felt like a baby; I felt like I didn't even know how to speak.

I nodded my head furiously, and finally spewed out an, "Yes. Yes, oh my god, Adrian Noah Beaumont, I will marry you," and his eyes brightened and his mouth spread into the biggest and happiest smile I'd even seen on him and this was it. This was the moment that I would always see when I closed my eyes. Just this.

Adrian took the ring from the box and slid it onto my finger on the left hand, and it fit perfectly.

I wrapped my arms around him, and I told myself to never let go. I told myself to never release him or take this for granted or be ungrateful for anything and god, I was so happy, and my cheeks were wet with tears and people were clapping and cheering and I was overwhelmed with joy.

"Oh my god," I cried against his shoulder, "Oh my god. Oh my god."

He laughed at this, his voice shaky, then said, "I love you so much."

And more tears fell when those words slipped from his lips, and he drew me forward and kissed me like it was the first time he'd been allowed to and the cheering got louder, and for some reason I was worrying if it was too loud for Isaac, and Adrian lifted me up enough to twirl me around once before setting me back down towards the crowd and hugging me again.

I stared at the crowd over his shoulders, all of the people I'd seen not even 30 minutes ago, laughing and drinking at Ruperts place; all of the people that, most of them, I'd known for years; people that were here for me; people that were witnessing one of the most amazing things ever.

I untangled myself from Adrian-- though, slid my fingers through his, the ring on my finger pushing against my skin-- and stepped up to the microphone that was conveniently placed beside us.

Tapping it once, I cleared my throat and, through tears and an unsteady voice, I said, "I love you guys."

Glittering teeth shone throughout the crowd, and I wasn't done.

"Thank you all so much for leaving Rupert's party, for this," I laughed a bit, another tear sailing down my cheek, leaving a trail behind as it went, "God, this is...I just didn't expect this. I can't wait to call this guy my husband-- and I can't wait for all of you to be there when I do."

And almost like a mic-drop, I turned and caught the boys lips with my own, throwing in all of the sorrow and joy and fulfillment that he brought to me into the kiss.

I was engaged. I was a fiancée. I was happier than I'd ever been before.

Spoiler! :
Hi! Sorry this is kinda short. And it's kinda late. Idk. I've been working a lot, plus with school it's hard to get in a post. But anyways, hopefully this is okay! I'M SO PUMPED ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING OMG.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:03 pm
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

~Merrick~

Pulling onto the curb at Rupert's house, I killed the engine and made my way towards the sound of music playing. It seemed the party was out back as I made my way through the house, the flicker of lights catching my eye. Everyone's back was to me as I walked up, their eyes glued to whatever they were watching. I scanned the crowd looking for a familiar face, but so far, nothing. Spotting Rupert, I nudged him with my elbow as I came up.

"About time you got here man," he said. "Adrian is proposing to Jesse."

I followed the direction he pointed in, and sure enough, there was Adrian on his knee in front of Jesse with Isaac in her lap.

"You are the most amazing girl, no-" he began, "-woman, that I have ever met. I met you almost a year ago outside a Hotel in Paris, and my life will never be the same. You are more beautiful and delicate than a flower, and more fiery than the sun." he halted for a moment. "You are my sun, my world. And I am asking you now to do me the honor of becoming my wife. Will you marry me?"

Jesse stood there, the utter shock and astonishment, her eyes so wide the tears couldn't have had an easier time falling out.

I couldn't tell if she was about to pass out or jump for joy as nodded her head furiously and finally said, "Yes. Yes, oh my god, Adrian Noah Beaumont, I will marry you!"

Adrian's eyes lit up like the fourth of July, and enormous smile spreading across his face that would put an LED light to shame as he put the ring on her finger. The thundering applause that followed afterward was deafening as Jesse and Adrian embraced one another.

As they parted, Jesse stepped to the microphone just beside them with a shaky voice and teary eyes and spoke. "I love you guys. Thank you all so much for leaving Rupert's party, for this," she paused, more tears sliding down her cheeks. "God, this is...I just didn't expect this. I can't wait to call this guy my husband-- and I can't wait for all of you to be there when I do."

She turned to Adrian, kissing him like it was the first time. Everyone moved up to congratulate them as Jesse picked Isaac up, both her and Adrian showering him with kisses. One by one, people lined, and hugging and kissing ensued. When my turn came, I pulled Jesse into a tight hug and kissed Isaac on the head. Next came Rupert and Cole. After that, the party started up again, but with a more lively tone, the air seeming to buzz with positive energy.

"What night this has been." Rupert came up beside me.

I nodded in agreement.

"And you almost missed out on the fun." he shook his head with a resigned sigh. "What am I going to do with you?"

I raised an eyebrow at him, and he patted me on the shoulder. "Let's go find Cole, shall we?"

I motioned for him to lead the way, and we were off.

Spoiler! :
@Nike @GuyFieri @Caterpickle. Sorry the post is so short you guys. I kinda suck right now xD
Last edited by AlmondEyes on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:33 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Brooke Kestner

“Here we are. Home sweet home.” I turn to look from Steph to Pedra. Both of them stare at me in silence. “What? Do I have something on my face.” I slightly laugh. Pedra laughs as well, and Steph slightly shakes his head.

“Uh, thanks for...well everything.” He slightly smiles as we both reach for our door handles. Pedra jumps out of the car, and runs up to the front door unlocking the door. I watch as Steph stumbles against the car trying to walk up to his door.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa hey there buddy.” I run to him wrapping his arm over my shoulders. “Let me help you get to a couch.” His face twists, but he doesn’t say anything. Pedra yells from the doorway.

“Steph are you okay?” She asks concerned.

“He’s okay Pedra. Just a little dizzy.” I say assuringly. It takes a moment, but we finally make it inside their house. I place him gently on the couch where he sighs. “Hopefully, you’ll feel better in a few days. Rest, drink water, avoid loud noises, and take notice if pain worsens.”

“You seem to know your stuff.” He says rubbing his eyes.

“I’ve had four concussions in the past 6 years. It happens when you’re not paying attention in a pool.” I say. “Anyways, now that you both are settled I should probably go. I have to be at work in 15 minutes. Please text me if you need anything...I mean it.” I point at Steph, and he smiles. I smile back, and head for the door. Out of the corner of my eye I see Pedra punch Steph in the arm, and point at me.

“Uh Brooke, wait!” I smile, and turn back to face them. “Whenever you’re free next, Pedra and I would love to take you to lunch or something for helping us.” Pedra nods excitedly.

“I couldn’t.” I say.

“We insist.” Pedra says standing up, and walking to me. “Pleeeeeeeeese Brooke?” I can’t help but smile.

“Uh sure thing. Just have your big bro over there text me when you guys are ready.” She turns to her brother and smiles.

“He will.”

“Alright. Now I really have to go. Try to rest up guys. I guess...I’ll see you later?”

“Yup.” Pedra smiles, and runs to jump onto the couch next to her brother.

“Yeah…” Steph slightly smiles.

“Bye.” I say. Both of them nod, and I walk outside. I look at my phone. “10 minutes…” Luckily Steph and Pedra’s house is close to where I work, and I set off down the road. With one minute to spare I rush into one of Seattle’s many Starbucks’. My boss Darla looks at me disapprovingly.

“Cutting it close Brooke...again.” I grab my uniform from my bag, as I place my bag in my specific area. I wrap my apron around my waist and place my hat on my head.

“Sorry Darla. There was a car crash.” Her eyes widen.

“Why the hell are you here then?” She asks.

“I’m fine. I promise. It was just a delay.” Darla eyes me curiously.

“Well, alright. But if you start feeling bad, let me know.” I smile, and give her a thumbs up. She rolls her eyes jokingly as I take my place by the cash register.

My shift goes pretty well. Decent acting customers, not a lot of complicated names, and nice tips. When the clock reaches 7:30, I head to the back to retrieve my stuff. On my way towards the door I hear a voice call out to me. I turn to see the girl I had just helped previously a few minutes ago.

"Excuse me!" She called out, motioning me to her. "I know you from somewhere. Don't we go to the same gym?" I had thought I recognized her earlier, but now it all made sense.

“Oh yeah! I remember seeing you a few times. I think we might also go to the same school too.

“You were new last year. Brooke right? I heard about you from friends.”

“Yeah thats me..” I brush some of my hair out of my face, and look at my phone. The collectors store closes in an hour. “Crap. I have to be somewhere soon, but next time you see me at the gym dont be afraid to say hi. Maybe we could do mountain climbers together.” I joke.

“Yeah.” She smiles. I look down at her cup.

“See ya Hawthorne.” I smile, and continue towards the door.

“Just Thorne.” She says. I turn to her.

“See ya..just Thorne.” I smile and slightly laugh.

“Bye.” She sips at her drink, and I step out into the cool summer night air. I sigh. I’ll just have to stop by the collector’s shop tomorrow. Hopefully I won't miss anything good in the new stock.

I am not gonna miss those signed Bob Fellar baseball cards.

Spoiler! :
@Savvy @AlmondEyes Let me know if I should change anything :)
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:13 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

--Carina--

Saturday evening came faster than I would've liked it to. Thus far, I'd played the game smart and subtle with the Ladder Guy, but deep beneath my self-confidence, I felt butterflies flapping their wings inside my stomach. The thought of talking to him again and slipping behind another painfully sarcastic commentary was nearly conducive to an anxiety attack.

I'd have to start calling him Riley--his real name instead of some label I'd thrown onto him. Secondly, I'd have to start being nice. Which was harder than it seemed, given my tendency to lash out at people.

"Y'know, we should really get a new skillet," Jennifer was saying as she walked into the bedroom, straightening her Yale sweatshirt. Show off, I thought, but didn't say. "The one we have burns everything I try to cook."

"Or maybe you just like to burn things," I mumble, struggling to reach my arms around to my back. I zipped up my dress. It was a dark magenta, strapless dress that fit closely to my body. I walked over to look in the mirror.

Jennifer's premeditative snort was replaced by surprise as she saw my outfit. "Going on a date?" she asked me.

"Kind of, if you could call it that," I said, unscrewing the cap on my lipgloss and applying it to my lips. I fought an oncoming smile.

Jen raised an eyebrow at me, and gave me a smile. "Well have fun, Juliet. I don't have to go all big-brother on you, do I?"

I was brushing my hair now. Afterwards, I put it in a tortoiseshell clip. Then I showered myself in hairspray. "Nope," I said to Jen.

"Don't scare him off," Jen joked.

"Hey," I said, "It's not my fault people don't like me." I tried to continue out the door, just before Jen took two a few shuffling steps and pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back.

"I'll make up something to tell Mom if you're out late, okay?" Jen pulled back, looking at me.

"Thanks," I said, brushing a strand of hair out of my face. I managed a smile.

Suddenly, I was reminded of something I was supposed to do days ago; text Riley my address. I raced upstairs in my dress, my feet bare, and grabbed my phone off my bed. Then, after pausing and glancing around, I rushed to my purse. I rummaged inside of it, pushing aside lip balm, keys, and my debit card. Then I found it; the slip of paper he'd handed me. I typed the number into my phone quickly, and shot him a text with my address and a half-assed apology. A 'shit, sorry'. I thought for a moment that he wouldn't pick me up. Then a text appeared on my lock screen.

No worries. I'll b there in ten

Relieved, I grabbed my heels from the closet and put them on. I almost fell when I tried to walk in them; that's how long it'd been since I'd worn them last. Well, this'll be an interesting night, I thought, my cheeks flushed by the time I got downstairs. I glanced out the window just then, seeing a truck's headlights shining through the darkness. Here we go, I thought, exhaling and then attempting to jog out to the car.

Luckily, I didn't stumble. By the time I got there, Riley had gotten out of his car. "I was gonna go to the door," he said, blinking at me. He was staring at me, and I anxiously played with my necklace.

"Oh," I said, words cutting through the night. I hadn't known I was supposed to wait for him, but I tried to play it cool. "Well I was late, so I figured I'd come to you."

"Good deal, then," he said, smiling. He walked to me, his arm hovering around the general area of my shoulders, like he thought I might need help walking at some point. He opened the door for me, and I got in, mumbling a quick 'thank you'.

He walked around to the drivers side and got in, turning his keys in the ignition and backing out of the driveway. He was wearing dark-wash jeans that looked perfect on his long legs, and a white button-up rolled up to the elbow. The muscles in his forearms were visible whenever he turned the steering wheel.

I cleared my throat to break the awkward silence. "So," I said, "what kind of party is this? Where is it?"

"Bash Trapani's father's yacht," Riley said, glancing at me. His voice was deep, and whenever he looked over at me, his dark eyelashes blinked. "It's for upcoming seniors," he said.

"How'd you know about it, then?"

"Merrick Vail reminded me. I always knew it was a thing, but never thought to go." Then he looked at me again, reminding me of the butterflies in my stomach. "D'you go to a lot of parties?"

I shrugged and nodded. "I've been to a few." I didn't mention that this was the first time I'd ever had a date to go along with.

He kind of laughed, looking back at the road. "I knew it. You seem like you've been to a lot of parties."

Furrowing my brow, I frowned. "Why's that?"

"Pretty girl like you," Riley said, "I don't know who wouldn't want to ask you to a party." It made my heart beat faster, the way he said it. Just then, he was parking on the dock. I saw the yacht, tied to the shore, ablaze with lights and the ground vibrating to the beat of the loud music. Cars littered the dock. "Plus," Riley was saying, turning the car off, "You're an awfully good pitcher."

It took me a second to remember was he was talking about.

"You're an okay catcher yourself," I said. He reached over and put his hand on mine, sending goosebumps up my arm.

"I bet you could throw a good strikeout," he said, leaning forward slightly. My lips parted. I thought he was about to kiss me, just as there was a furious tapping on the passenger side window. Instead of kissing me, Riley bent and grabbed his phone from the console.

I looked to see who it was that had been hitting the window. I saw a pair of wide eyes, sparkly lipgloss, and dark bangs. Jasmine. Pursing my lips, I threw open the door, almost hitting her. "Oh my God, Carrie," she squealed. She took me by the shoulders and bent to look at me like my mother would. "I cannot believe you're here. What the hell, why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know," I said. I didn't think I had to inform you of all of my plans.

Just then, Pete Wagner walked up behind Jasmine, putting his hands on her hips. Pete was some nondescript scrap of muscle, who may have played on the lacrosse team. Jasmine put a hand on his chest, shrugging him away. "Not now," she told him, like he was her butler who'd been trying to offer her breakfast.

Instead, Jasmine linked her arm with mine. Riley came around the front of the truck just then, thumbs in his belt loops. He looked confused. Jasmine made a show of cupping her hands around my ear and loud-whispering, "Oh my God, is that your date? He is so fucking hot."

"Yeah," I said to her through gritted teeth, looking at Riley. "And you're ruining it."

"What's this?" Riley asked as he strided up to us.

"Riley," I introduced, "This is Jasmine. Jasmine, this is, um, Riley."

Riley's eyes lingered on Jasmine's little black cocktail-party dress as he said, "Nice to meet you."

Jasmine gave him a flirtatious smile. "The pleasure's mine." Then she stepped forward with her arm still linked with mine, taking Riley's arm with her other hand. "Now c'mon," she said. "Let's show you two around, shall we?"
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:32 pm
View Likes
Sevro says...

Riley Trahan

As the days slipped by, I couldn't stop checking my phone. By the time Saturday rolled around, Carrie still hadn't texted. Had she changed her mind? Was she just humoring me the whole time? Even though the sun was fading from the sky, I got dressed for the party. I was gonna go whether she was by my side or not. Whether I would be going to have fun with a pretty girl, or to drown my disappointment in beer remained a mystery. And just as I slipped my phone into my back pocket, it buzzed. I yanked it out, and sighed with relief when I saw the preview of the text. It was her. She said she was sorry that she hadn't texted before the night of the party, but I wasn't mad. I was still smiling from the initial shock of seeing her name on my screen. I replied that I would be right over. I stood there, grinning at my phone, happy that this was working out.

"Are you watching porn?" I heard from my room door. I pulled my gaze up in surprise. It was Danny, who had his hand on my doorframe. I had no idea how long he'd been standing there. My face heated up.

"No! Why would I—I mean—you—ugh," I stammered. I glared at him, and shoved my phone back into my pocket. Danny smirked at me.

"Wow, you actually have a clean pair of jeans? A white shirt with no paint on it?" He knew he was on a roll, and my grimace just fueled his fire. I walked over, slipping past his thin frame, and smacked him on the back of his head.

"Isn't it my job to make fun of you? I gotta get going. Don't burn down the house, yeah?" I turned the rest if the way around and strutted down the hall. I had told him about the party. And about Carrie. I remembered then how nice it was to have a brother that I could be myself around, and talk to. I jogged out the door, not wanting to keep Carrie waiting.

And she seemed just about as eager as I was. When I pulled up to her place, I saw her speed-walking out of the house before I even turned my truck off. I got out. While we talked briefly, I couldn't stop looking at her. Her dress was beautiful, a deep maroon color and her dark hair was clipped back with...well, a clip of sorts. We joked and made some small talk on the way to the party, and I felt underdressed in my jeans and button-up. Maybe I should've left the sleeves rolled down. No, I told myself. Im supposed to be comfortable at a party, and I wouldn't have any fun if my sleeves restricted me from moving my arms. It was a pet peeve of mine, having sleeves itching at my hands, chaffing my elbows. And, I knew, that any judgers would soon be too drunk to see what I was wearing anyway. I relaxed as we pulled up. I put my hand on Carrie's as I turned off my truck. I hope it looked casual enough. I leaned over and grabbed my phone, starting as someone started smacking the window on her side. I could see it was a hyper-looking girl. I heard Carrie let out a breath, containing frustration, maybe, at the girl's tapping, and, was that disappointment? Uh-oh. I'm already screwing this up, aren't I? Goddamn. As I hopped out of the truck, hooking my thumbs in my belt loops, I heard the excited girl whispering to Carrie about me being so fucking hot.

"What's this?" I asked. I saw a guy behind the girl, obviously watching at her ass as she shifted her weight.

Carrie cleared her throat. "Riley, this is Jasmine. Jasmine, this is, um, Riley," she said, gesturing to each of us in turn. Jasmine was giving me a seductive smile-hair-twirling combo as I looked at her impossibly tiny dress. While I was wondering how she fit into a child's-sized dress, probably with my mouth open in confusion, she took my and Carrie's arms and promptly led us toward the yacht.

It was filled with throbbing strobe lights, grinding teenagers, and discarded red solo cups. There were different compartments on the large boat, some were loud, others were quiet. A few were filled with food, and there was even an entire cabin stocked with coolers of beer, whiskey, vodka, and God-knows-what-else. And, of course, there were lots of smaller compartments set up as bedrooms. Jasmine said all of this to us, the other guy still trailing behind us. She paused before the last bit and looked me slowly up and down, nudging Carrie suggestively. My face heated up and I looked down. I caught Carrie glaring at Jasmine. Finally, after what seemed like twenty minutes, she left us alone.

"So," I started, looking into Carrie's eyes. "Do you want a drink?" She smiled a small smile.

"Sure," she said. I smiled, saying I'd be right back. I walked off, weaving between dancing people, to the drink room that Jasmine showed us. It was much more difficult coming back, trying to keep the two beer bottles from spilling as I ducked beneath raised arms and whipping hair as everyone turned to the music. I found Carrie after a minute of looking. Everyone looked so similar in the dark. I handed her the drink. We both took a sip. I moved my head to the music and she laughed. I smiled at the sound of it. I took her right hand with my left and spun her. We stepped back to the beat, then I pulled her close and we swayed back and forth with our drinks in hand.

A few beers later, some faster songs came on in succession. I put my hands on Carrie's hips. She didn't push them away, but instead mirrored me, and we danced to the thumping bass. Without a word, we both became still. I looked at her. Her eyes showed a bit of apprehension, but I didn't stop. I leaned in, sort of fast, not letting myself change my mind halfway. My mouth found hers. My hands slid to her lower back as I pulled her closer. She kissed me back, and we stood like that as the party swirled around us, blind to the fact that the beginning of something amazing was happening right front of their eyes.

Spoiler! :
@Savvy It's a little rushed, but omg aren't they just the cutest
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

112 Reviews

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

Steph

I jogged out of my bedroom, lightheaded as I was buttoning my shirt. It was already quarter of seven o'clock, which was when Bash said the party was supposed to start. He'd tan my ass if I was late. Zipping my pants, I rushed down the hallway. Pedra was sitting at the counter, doing homework.

"Steph, I'm stuck," she said. I kind of looked at her like a deer in the headlights. "Right," she said, sighing. "Why would I be asking you."

Ignoring her comment, I told her, "Look, pal, I'm going out for an hour or two, okay?"

Mom and Dad still hadn't yet come home from the business trip, and I hated myself for leaving her. It made me want to slam my own head against a wall. It was selfish of me to want to go to the party just to please Bash and the rest of the team.

"M'kay," Pedra said, lazily drawing on her math paper. At first I thought she was just going to leave it at that. Then she glanced up at me, a grin growing on her face. "Wait, are you going out with Brooooke?" She drew out the O's in Brooke's name.

"No," I said, "I'm going to a party. For lacrosse."

With slight disappointment, she asked, "A lacrosse party?"

"Yeah," I told her. Then I wiped my eyes with my hand, exhaling. "Look, d-don't leave the house or anything, okay? I'll be home in a little while, and th-then we can watch the baseball game."

"Can I come with?" Pedra asked earnestly. I actually contemplated it. It would be worse to leave her home alone than to bring her to the party; at least at the party, she'd be closer to me and she'd have some fun, as long as I stayed completely sober and didn't let her out of my sight. I licked my lips, and then put my hands in my pockets. I sighed. "Please?" Pedra persisted, knowing that she was winning me over.

"Alright, yeah-yeah," I said, knowing I wouldn't be able to do anything at the party with Pedra on my heels. But I felt too awful just leaving her alone. "Go put on something nice, okay? Don't take forever, I'm already late." I told her. She raced up the stairs with child-like excitement. I'd never brought her along to a party before. Bash and the guys wouldn't want to hang out with me if that meant my little sister would be hanging around. But I had no choice.

Minutes later, we were sitting in Mom's car--which was still dented in the front--and heading off to the party. Pedra had put on a short navy-blue skirt that flared out, and a short white blouse. It was the blouse Mom hated, because it was 'inappropriate', but I wasn't Mom and I didn't care what she wore. Pedra's hair was tied back in a ponytail and sprayed, and she had on shoes with lots of straps and too much lipstick.

"I'm excited," Pedra kept saying the whole way there. I didn't say anything to her until we parked on the dock. "Whew," she said when we parked, "At least you didn't crash the car." She actually looked relieved, which made my stomach turn. Though the truth was, I was probably more relieved than she was. I'd been dizzy these past few days because of my concussion, and it was even more difficult than normal to pay anything any attention.

"Listen," I said, grabbing her arm as she was about to jump out of the car. She looked back at me in the car light. "You're gonna stay at my side at all times, okay?" I asked her. "N-n-no running off. I let you c-come here because I trust you. Don't prove me wrong, pal, alright?"

"Okay," she agreed with a smile, shrugging and then hopping out of the car.

We walked onto the yacht. I held Pedra's elbow, leading her through the crowd. My eyes searched the deck for any sign of Luke, or Kyle, or Bash. Pedra and I got a lot of stares. "Nice date, Almy," I heard from inside one of the cabins.

Eventually I saw Bash on the deck, leaning on the railing. He was talking to a girl, but there were other guys around, so I walked over.

"Hey, Bash!" I called. Bash didn't move when he saw me, but rose an eyebrow in our direction.

I recognized Luke and Kyle; they both looked over at us and snickered. "This isn't a birthday party, Steph," Bash said, staring in Pedra's direction. Pedra crossed her arms.

"Even my birthday party's cooler than this," Pedra said smugly.

Oh, God. I put my hand on Pedra's shoulder, as if to silence her. The guys all laughed mockingly, telling Bash that even princess parties are cooler than this. "Hey, enough," the girl talking to Bash piped up. She had dark hair and eyes that seemed black in the darkness. She was wearing a tight gray dress, and tall stiletto heels.

"Yeah," I said stiffly. "Enough." Pedra was still crossing her arms, but her cheeks were pink with embarrassment. I bent down and said to her in a low voice, "Hey-hey, can you just stay here for a minute? I gotta talk to these losers."

"Whatever," Pedra said, her face scrunching up like she was about to cry. She turned away from me.

I stepped closer to the group of guys and the girl, and said in a low voice, "Shut it about my sister, okay?"

"You couldn't have left her at home?" Luke asked.

"No, I couldn't have," I retorted.

"It doesn't matter," Bash broke in, putting his hands up to stop us from arguing. "I mean, c'mon, this is a party. Let us go have some fun. Alright boys?" There was some clapping and whooping.

"I'm gonna go grab myself a drink," Kyle said, and a few other guys had Kyle go get theirs for them.

"This is Isabelle," Bash said, introducing the dark-haired girl to me. "My fair princess," he said, giving Isabelle a smile. At that moment, a guy with brick-red hair and a strong jaw strolled out of the nearby cabin, putting his arm around Isabelle.

"What's going on?" the guy said, clearly drunk already. He looked at me, and asked loudly, "This guy tryin' to steal my girl, huh?" He made a gesture to Bash and then laughed hard. Bash stood there awkwardly, just as Kyle came back with the beers. He handed one to me, and I accepted. Then I turned around to get Pedra.

I looked around frantically, walking down the expanse of the deck and then back.

She was gone.

"Lose something?" Luke was asking. But I ignored him, jogging into the cabin. I was about the call Pedra's name, but my voice was drowned out by the thumping bass. I weaved through the bodies of hundreds of high-school kids as they danced with one another and made out in corners. My heart raced, trying to catch a glimpse of a ten-year-old girl. But it was dark, and there were too many people. Feeling helpless, I made my way to the back of the cabin. Suddenly, a wave of nausea came over me, my head pounding. I almost stumbled into the wall.

"You alright there?" a girl asked.

"Brooke," I mumbled.

"I'm not Brooke," the girl said. My head was spinning. The girl was laughing, stealing my beer from my hand and taking a long swig of it. Her hair was messed up, and she was beyond wasted. "What's your name?" she asked. I could barely hear her over the music. All I wanted was to find Pedra.

"Pedra," I said, and the girl laughed again.

"You must reeeeally be drunk," she said with a lilt to her voice. I stepped past her, but she took my face in her hands, her front against mine. Then she kissed me on the lips, hard and sloppily, her hands moving down to my shirt and gripping the fabric. Her lips were soft, and they tasted like beer. Her tongue filled my mouth. I stepped backwards, but my back hit the wall. Lights flashed around us, the girl melting into me in the darkness, kissing me and kissing me more. Suddenly, I pushed her away, feeling intoxicated, and shouldered my way past her.

I stumbled past her and through the darkness. The girl tried to grab my hand gently and kiss me again, but I shrugged her away. The only thing I could think about was Pedra. I felt drunk, and yet I'd hardly drank a sip. I wondered if it was my concussion. I finally got outside of the cabin, inhaling a huge breath of fresh air. It smelled like cut grass and the sea.

My vision blurred, I ran past Bash and the other guys, ending up on the dock. A shadow dashed past me in the ship lights. I spotted Mom's Corolla at the edge of the dock, and saw someone inside. Relief surging through me, I ran to the car. I opened the door to the backseat, and there was Pedra, her clothes rearranged like she'd gotten dressed in a hurry. She was sobbing, eyes red-rimmed, hunched over in the seat. She was a mess.

"Pedra," I heard myself saying. I was confused. "Why-why are you in the b-back seat?"

She saw me, and cried harder. She gave me a hug, crying into my shoulder.

"Why're you crying?" I asked her. She didn't respond. "Why're you crying?" I repeated, coming to my senses. "What happened?" But she wouldn't talk to me. She let go of me and climbed into the passenger seat. I had to buckle her in. Then I jogged around to the driver seat. I just sat there for a moment until my head was cleared. Pedra stopped crying. Her eyes were glazed over.

"What the hell happened?" I asked her.

"Nothing," she said, her voice cracking. She wiped her nose.

I gave her a look. "Don't give me that. Tell me what happened. Why were you in the car?"

Suddenly, she screamed at me. "Because you left me!" she shrieked, and then began to cry again. "You left me so I ran back to the car, and then--" Her voice cracked again.

"And then what?" I asked. I hated myself for leaving her.

"Nothing," Pedra whispered, looking down at her hands. "Nothing."

I exhaled.

We drove home in silence.

Spoiler! :
@TheForgottenKing @NicoleBri @Nike (the red-haired guy was Philip :b ) Tell me if I need to change things.
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

271 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:57 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Jules

Rupert's party was Friday and Saturday night there was a party on some kids yacht.

"Yes," That's all Jessie could choke out before everyone was applauding and she was kissing Adrian passionately. April and I had given each other a peck on the lips then, as well, people staring at the two girls kissing each other.

The rest of the party was full of dancing and laughing, granted, the party on the yacht the next night was somewhat different.

The next afternoon after ballet was my meeting with James at Starbucks. I hadn't seen him since summer started and I had started officially going out with April. I walked into the parking lot, clad in converse, short shorts, a crop top and a long cardigan. The long cardigan was draped over my arm.

I walked in and just ordered a plain black coffee, I never liked the fancy drinks anyway.

"Hey," he said, greeting me as he walked in. He ordered a tea and we both sat down waiting for our orders.

His dark blue eyes glinted in the sun light that flooded through the windows and warmed the wooden table top. His blonde hair was spiked back, the shape of his face clearly prominent.

"Hi," I said finally, after studying him. "How are you?"

He had slight circles under his eyes which puzzled me. James was usually laid back, always making cocky jokes and making passes at me. But now he seemed... different.

"Good," he replied, showing me just a hint of what was previously a carefree lopsided grin.

"You don't look good," I said, putting my hand over his. He was the only person who had spoken to me when I first came to Lincoln Wood from Spain. I really cared about him and I felt a pang of guilt and hurt when I saw him like this.

"Thanks Jules, but you know, we all know I'm prettier than you." He smiled again, wider, only this time I didn't think it was real.

"James? Jules?" the barista called just then. James was up in a flash and he brought our drinks back to the table.

"I know the end of the school year was kinda rough. I mean, you and I sort of went out and then me and April sort of..." I trailed off.

"You guys are dating now. I know. So does that mean... are you a lesbian?" he asked.

I exhaled, wrapping my hands around my drink. I immediately regretted not getting an iced coffee or something, it was hot outside. Although Seattle always had clouds hovering over it and was usually at least drizzling, it was extremely muggy and hot.

"I don't know," I said, "I know I like guys and I like girls. So maybe I'm bisexual. I'm really not sure," I twirled a lock of hair around my finger, avoiding his eyes.

"I want you to be happy, okay? I just really don't want to lose your friendship.Nobody ever really saw me for anybody other than the football and lacrosse jock except for you and," he paused, taking a deep breath, "I need that."

"Yeah," I bit my lip and he shifted in his seat, the metal squeaking under his weight.

"Don't bite your lip," he reached over and tugged my lower lip from between my teeth with his thumb, "you're too damn pretty for your own good."

"So," he said, somewhat less awkwardly, "Are you going to Bash Trapani's party tonight?

"I wasn't planning on going. I'm a dancer, not a jock or anything. I'm not really friends with anybody who's gonna be there."

"Well, I focus on football but I play lacrosse too and Bash and some of the guys want me to go. You should come and surprise Bash. He'll probably hit on you. Then you can tell him you're dating a girl and show him your sweet hip hop moves," he chuckled, "I'd love to see the look on his face."

"Can April go?" I asked.

"Sure," he agreed, and we left after that, our drinks untouched.

I called April as I got home, saying hi to my host parents and then going to my bedroom.

"Hey April," I shifted through my closet, looking for a party dress.

"Hey babe," she replied, "How was Starbucks with James? Are you coming over? I can pick you up." I couldn't drive anywhere because I was an exchange student, so April helped me get around.

"Yeah, it went okay. A little awkward at first but it was fine," I laid out a dress on the bed and began searching through my shoes. "Hey listen," I switched the phone over to my other ear, grasping it with my hand rather than trying to hold it between my ear and my shoulder, "He invited me to a party tonight, but I don't want to go unless you go. Are you in?"

"Last time I really partied..." she trailed off and I knew what she meant. Last time she really partied she'd gotten in a bad car accident, landing her in the hospital. That's how we'd met, I'd volunteered with my dance class to dance with/for the patients at the hospital and we soon realized we were in the same Spanish class. Things had really taken off from there.

"I know babe," I said, "But James and I are trying to be friends now and it actually sounds fun. It's apparently on some kid's yacht. You don't have to drink if you don't want to and I promise I won't do more than have a few beers." I was not a lightweight by any means, I was accustomed to having 1 or 2 glasses of wine with every meal and several glasses of champagne at special events, that's how things were back in Spain.

"Okay. I'll be there soon," April said, "I love you."

"I love you too, bye." I hung up after that, quickly getting dressed and doing make up. I put on a short, wine colored tight fitting dress with lace cutouts at the hips that really accentuated my figure. The dress was sleeveless and the neckline went to just below my collarbone. With short dresses, the neckline can't be too low or it looks slutty. I added and accent necklace to accentuate my bust, and then added a matching black clutch and black sparkly stiletto heels. The high neckline didn't look too prudish and overall, I thought I looked classy.

Just then, April's car horn beeped and I ran out of the house, texting my host parents that I would be home by midnight. It was around 8 and the sun was setting.

April whistled as I walked out of the house, "You look hot," she said, kissing me long and slow after I sat in the car.

"I can stay overnight at your house, right?" I asked, mischief glinting in my eyes.

She bit her lip and grinned, "Of course." April and I had gotten fairly far as far as sex goes the year previously. Before we'd started dating, we'd had a drunk make out session that ended in me half naked and April stopping things out of respect for me. We hadn't tried anything else other than making out since then, but I considered going further, especially tonight.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from her pink minidress, the same one she'd worn on our first date, when the fire had been fueled before I even realize I liked her. I calmed down a little as we walked in the party and I saw James, waving to him.

He beckoned us over and I took April's hand, guiding her through the throng towards him. I laced my fingers through hers and James smiled, he already looked a lot better than he had earlier this afternoon, his skin had more color and he looked like he'd had a nap.

"Jules, April, this is Bash Trapani. Bash, these are my friends, April and Jules." April lifted her hand in greeting and smiled, I held out my left hand for him to shake.

"Hi," I said, grinning, "You're a friend of James?"

"We know each other," he shrugged, smirking, "You guys are close friends?" he gestured to my hand, entwined with April's.

"You could say that," April said, laughing, giving me a peck on the lips. I was still shy about our relationship in public, especially around so many people. That's just how I was raised, but I knew I needed to get adjusted. quickly.

Bash's blue eyes glinted, his hands running through his hair,

"Well, I'll let you lovely ladies enjoy the party, and each other apparently. Have a great time," he said, sauntering off.

"I think he likes you," James murmured in my ear, "He couldn't take his eyes off you." There was a hint of jealousy in his voice, and I thought he was just imagining things.

"It's okay," I said, dismissing his worries, "Nothing I'm not used to. April and I are gonna go dance, want to join us?"

he shook his head as I pulled April closer, "No, you two have fun. I have to go do some more meet and greet for the team."

I nodded and waved goodbye as April drew me into her arms and James' figure was swallowed up by the crowd.

Spoiler! :

271 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:15 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Adrian

"Yes, Yes-" and that's all she had to say before my heart exploded with joy.

I put the ring on her finger and she launched herself in my arms. I quickly stood up and drew her close as the crowd erupted, my heart screaming.

I picked Isaac up out of his carrier and drew him close,

"I'm going to be your new Father," I whispered, after kissing Jessie.

"You always were his father," Jessie said, an Earth shattering smile adorning her face. We danced after that, Isaac grinning and laughing and cooing the entire time.

"I have an early wedding gift for you," I whispered in her ear.

"Adrian, this is so much. How could there possibly be anything else that you could give me?" she asked, her cheeks rosy with excitement and champagne.

"I got Colette to watch the baby tonight. And I never returned the room card from the suite we got last night."

"That's two nights in a row," she said, "Are you sure we can leave Isaac? I don't like spending even one night away from him, let alone two."

"If you don't want to, that's okay. I just thought we could celebrate, maybe have some adult time." I put emphasis on the last two words and watched has she blushed.

"Fine," she said,"But this is the last night!" She kissed me on the lips once more and I swept her and Isaac off her feet, dancing with my new fiancée.

Our bodies never stopped touching in some way during the party, I never left her side. I felt like I was getting a fairytale ending. It was all happening so quickly, after all, Jessie had graduated before me and I was turning 18 next month. But I had no regrets, I felt in my heart that this was right, this was what needed to happen.

"Hey, congratulations," Rupert said, shaking my hand.

"Je t'aime, ma cousine*," Colette said, kissing me and drawing me into a hug.

The night grew darker and the lights twinkled in the moonlight, the flowers still beautiful, even in the night air. But not more beautiful than Jessie. I itched to stroke her blonde hair and I could've gotten lost in her ocean blue eyes. It was as if God had painted her himself, just for me. I never understood those corny sonnets, and I always scoffed at couples who got married the year they turned 18 but I got it now. I understood it. I longed to be one with the best girl-no, woman-that ever walked the planet. And she was mine, all mine.

"What are you looking at," she whispered, as I drew her into my arms for one final slow dance.

"You," I murmured, "Mon petit chou."

"What does that mean?" she asked, glancing over at where Isaac sat with Rupert to make sure he was okay.

"My little cabbage," I translated and she started laughing.

"I'm your little cabbage now, huh?" she said, giggling.

"It's a term of endearment," I said, chuckling, "Like calling someone 'pumpkin'. I thought that was funnier in all honesty."

She sighed, resting her blonde head against my chest, "I love you."

"I love you too," I murmured, "Always."

Spoiler! :
@GuyFieri

*I love you, my cousin.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:24 pm
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Isabelle

Philip was already drunk by the time it was 10pm. Sebastian and I were sitting in a room talking, he and I had become tight friends since the beginning of summer. He was a flirt and it didn't bother me much.

"You're such a flirt." I told him with a smug smile, I slapped his arm jokingly before getting up and going to find Philip.

"See ya later princess." he yelled, I smiled and shook my head, he was definitely crazy.

Walking through the crowd I found Philip reaching in the ice chest for another beer. It really amazed me how much he could drink and still be standing. Ever since my father and I got close again I didn't really drink. Sober Isabelle was the best option. Drunk Iz.. well she is another story that no one wants to see again.

I stood against the wall just lurking and seeing everyone have a fun time. I caught a glimpse of April for the first time in months, she was with Juliette and they were dancing and looked super happy. I smiled, it was great to see her even from a distance. She was happy and deserved it.

"Why are you standing in the corner?" a girl asked me. I sighed but gave a smile.

"Lurking." I simply replied.

She smiled and stood beside me.

"Ya know, I like to lurk too, may I join?" she asked.

I grinned, and nodded.

"Most definitely."

We stood there staring at everyone, I saw Sebastian flirting with some girls and Philip talking to his pals.

"My name is Isabelle." I said as I looked at her.

Spoiler! :
@TheForgottenKing I hope that was okay, @Nike I didn't really add Philip too much, still waiting on you to post for him. And to whoever wants to take on the girl Isabelle is talking to that would be great. :)
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:35 pm
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

April

Jules always looked beautiful no matter what she wore. I couldn't take my eyes off of her as we were dancing and just laughing, this was the best time I ever had sober at a party and it made my weariness fade away.

"Thanks for coming with me," Jules said with a huge grin, "it means a lot."

I smiled, why was she thanking me?

"I'd do anything to make you happy, Jules. You don't have to thank me, it's an honor."

We both giggled, my relationship with Jules was ten times better than any relationship with a guy, it made me wonder what else I had missed. She was the first real girl I had dated and she definitely made me a better person.

"Let's go get a drink." I told her and we ran over to a table full of drinks.

"Do they have any Malibu?" I asked her, I was rumbling through everything but none of my favorite drink. I ended up settling for three shots of vodka and a shot of whiskey.

"Wow, that's a lot of hard liquor." Jules said.

I laughed, I was almost fully drunk, this needed to stop.

"Well, we are at a party so I guess I might as well have some fun, too." I replied.

She nodded and sipped on her drink. This was a start to a fabulous night.

_-_-_-_-_-_

The next morning was a hangover from hell and Jules was still asleep when I woke up. She looked so peaceful, I pulled the blanket off of me and trying to keep her covered, I hopped out of bed. Ibuprofen and a cup of orange juice was a definite need.

Spoiler! :
@Gravity I hope it was okay to go ahead and go to the next morning.. and sorry it is short. <3
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

Reviews: 0
Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:19 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Tried to delete this but it obviously didn't work :/ working on another post.
Last edited by TheForgottenKing on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:20 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Brooke Kestner

It was the last Saturday night with my brother, and as usual we carried out our usual monthly tradition of getting pizza and listening to stupid pop music on the radio in our car. About halfway through our medium cheese pizza and our Meghan Trainor marathon, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I look at the text from mom and sigh. I turn down the radio. Noah continues singing (badly) until he realizes what I've done.

"Hey! That's my jam!" He yells. I laugh, and show him the screen.

"Sorry Mr. Trainor, but mom wants to know when we will be home." I say.

"Tell her we'll be home soonish. We're teenagers. She shouldn't worry."

"You know who you're talking about right?" We both look at each other and laugh.

"Oh whatever." He says smiling. I turn my attention away from Noah, and towards the window. My attention catches on the familiar faces collecting around the docks.

"Is that a bunch of people from our school?" Clearly Noah had noticed the people too. "Must be some kind of party."

"A fancy one at that. God, what kind of teenager has a yacht?" I ask.

"Not one that we would know...Ever crashed a party before B?" Noah pulled over across the street. I quickly turn to Noah wide eyed.

"Noah. No. That is crazy." Noah laughed and clicked off his seat belt. "Noah, we cannot afford to be reckless. Most likely they are drinking, and what if the cops show up?"

"Brooke, all you do is worry. Lighten up. I promise I wont drink...I honestly just kind of want to see the inside." He gets out of the car, and looks at me.

"Noah!" I yell uncomfortable.

"Fine. Don't come." He shrugs his shoulders and starts walking off. I sit a moment waiting for him to turn back. When he doesn't I sigh, and make my way out of the car. I jog to catch up to him.

"You know you suck right." He smiles. "You do realize we aren't dressed for the occasion. Everyone looks pretty nice..." I zip up my red hoodie self consciously.

"Oh my dear little sister, the power of alcohol consumes these mindless teens. They wont even know we exist." He smiles. I roll my eyes.

"You're only older by 5 minutes so don't act like I'm your naive little sister." He laughs, and pats me on the back. From the moment we enter the party I immediately feel out of place. I've been to plenty of parties in my life, but this one was different. It feels completely foreign, and over the top. After an incident last year, I still have problems with rooms full of large groups of people. I keep down the anxious burning in my throat. While staring at all the drunk moving bodies I manage to completely lose my brother. "Dammit Noah." I mumble under my breath.

I push my way through the crowd uncomfortably avoiding eye contact with almost everyone. I almost run right into a drunk guy stumbling over his own feet. He walks off across the room. I turn to look at the guy, and It's only when I look closer that I realize its Steph. I try take a few steps towards him, but my efforts are quickly cut short when I see a pretty brunette push him against the wall in a full out sloppy make out session. My eyes widen, and I step back caught off guard. I shake my head, and walk off ignoring everything.

Suddenly a harsh grip attacks my arm. I turn to see a drunk guy with sunken eyes.

"Hey baby. Wanna take a spin on the dance floor? Or..." He pulls me close to him, and whispers in my ear. "You can show me whats under that hoodie." I pull my arm from his grasp, and punch him hard in the nose. He falls to the floor, and a few people glance at me.

"Don't you fucking touch me!" I look around at the horrified faces. I made a scene, but not big enough to stop the party. I pull my hood up over my head, and rush from the room. "The sooner I get off this damn boat the better." I text Noah, and tell him I'm walking home. I need to breathe.

Flashes of last year fill my head, and suddenly I feel like I can't breathe. I quickly make my escape from the party, and rush down the sidewalk breathing heavy.

I hate parties.

Spoiler! :
@Savvy Let me know if I should change anything!
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

112 Reviews

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:53 am
View Likes
passenger says...

Steph

Pedra stared at her lap during the ride home, twisting her hands together. Her knees were pressed together, and her head was down. She was mostly silent, but whimpered every once in a while, like a puppy. I was frustrated. She was being a drama queen. I knew that if something was actually wrong, she'd tell me.

There wasn't much traffic; we were pretty much the only car on the road. I was glad for that; the less distraction, the better. The street lamps shone through the darkness, and the trees bent slightly in the breeze. It was a calm night.

"You're not gonna sit there and pout," I said to Pedra. It was starting to get under my skin. "You're gonna tell me what's-what's wrong, or I won't ask again. If you want attention, this is the last time you'll get it."

To my surprise, she didn't say anything. Her shoulders were shaking.

"Okay then," I said, looking back out at the road, refusing to admit that I was worried about her.

Just then, I let up on the gas pedal, squinting at a familiar figure walking on the side of the road. She was pulling her red hoodie around her, ducking her head slightly, hands inside her sleeves. It was chilly out. Her dark hair poked out of her hood. Brooke? I wondered what she was doing out here, walking all by herself.

I edged towards the sidewalk and rolled down the window, slowing down next to her. She glanced over at the vehicle. "Brooke. You need a ride?" I asked. I hoped she'd say yes; rejection was a bad thing for me.

I barely heard her voice peek through the dense fog. "No thanks."

Trying hard to ignore my disappointment, I propped my elbow on the door. "Why're you out here all b-b-by yourself?"

She seemed to slow down, as if she might stop walking. She turned her face towards me. It looked like she was about to cry. I felt my heart sink, and I chewed on my lip, looking around. Back at Pedra. In the sideview mirror. Then I looked at Brooke again, trying to keep eye contact. She didn't answer my question.

Rain started sprinkling down on the windshield.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride?" I asked her, smiling. I wished she'd smile back.

She looked past me in the window, seeing Pedra there, with her head ducked. Brooke let her shoulders fall and exhaled, like she was unwinding. Then she nodded a silent okay, jogging towards the car. Without a word, Pedra climbed over the center console and into the backseat.

Something was off. Pedra'd never gone this long without saying something. Especially when Brooke was around; I would've thought she'd be more excited. What the hell happened back at that party?

Brooke opened the door and sat in the passenger seat, buckling up. I began to drive. "Where're you going?" I asked her.

"Home," she said, and then proceeded to tell me the address. It was about ten minutes from here, so I started in that direction.

"What're you doing out here all-all alone?" I asked her.

She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, and offered a polite smile. "I went to a party, and it wasn't for me." I'd been around people long enough to know that a 'polite smile' was the equivalent to none at all.

Then my reaction to her response kicked in.

"The one on the boat?" I asked. I couldn't remember the fancy name for Bash's boat.

"Yeah," she said.

My eyes brightened up. "We were there, too!"

"Yeah," she said, almost involuntarily mirroring my expression. Then she shifted in her seat uncomfortably. "I know." Heart racing, I wondered if she'd seen me. If she'd seen me stumbling around like some drunk, and--God, maybe she'd seen me getting kissed by that crazy girl. I ran a hand through my hair, face getting hot. What if she'd heard me say her name? My stomach twisted. She probably thought I was one of those guys; the ones who all they did was go around to parties hoping to get laid. Showing up with their kid sister, no less. Suddenly, I hated myself. All I could ever do was mess things up. I was no better than Mom and Dad.

At my silence, Brooke glanced into the backseat. "Hey there, Pedra," she said, smiling, giving her a little wave. Pedra sniffed. In the rearview mirror, I saw her give a furtive wave back. Her eyes were pink, and there were tears dried to her cheeks.

Brooke's brow furrowed. "What's wrong, honey?"

Pedra wiped her face with her arm. "Steph left me alone at the party," she whined, her voice thick with tears.

Nausea filled my chest, and my stomach turned. "Oh, God," I murmured, running a hand over my face.

Brooke glanced at me. Her expression hardened slightly. "Left you alone at the party?" she asked Pedra. I could tell she was still staring at me.

"Yeah," Pedra said, sounding like she would break out crying again. "He was talking with his friends, and told me to go away so he didn't have to deal with me."

I didn't say that! I wanted to scream. I shook my head, inhaling sharply. But I couldn't try to defend myself against my little sister. I took another deep breath. My cheeks were burning. I knew that whatever chance I had in getting Brooke to like me was gone. Now she thought I was the kind of guy who left his ten-year-old sister alone at a party.

Instead of scolding me, or addressing me at all, Brooke reached her arm back and gently took Pedra's hand. "Awh," she cooed, "Well you know what? My brother left me alone at the party, too." Pedra had grabbed Brooke's hand and squeezed it tight.

"It wasn't Steph's fault," Pedra suddenly said, still wiping tears away. "I shouldn't have gone back to the car."

Brooke blinked, tilting her head to the side. "The car?"

Pedra nodded, rubbing her eye with the heel of her palm. "Where he saw me."

"Who?" Brooke asked, confused. "Steph?"

In the mirror, I saw Pedra shake her head. "No," she whimpered. "Someone else."

Brooke looked back at me for a moment, and we made eye contact. She looked bewildered, probably as bewildered as I was. But most of all, she looked worried. There was a crease in her forehead as her thoughts circulated. Who the hell is she talking about? I thought. Something about the way she talked about it was unsettling.

"Who else, honey?" Brooke asked her. "What happened?"

Pedra turned her head to the side suddenly, eyes closing. Her breath shook. "Nothing," she whispered. "Nothing."

Brooke leaned closer to me, close enough that I could smell some kind of fragrance. Perfume, or lotion. Something vanilla. "What is she talking about?" she whispered to me.

"I-I don't know," I whispered back, making a concerted effort to keep my eyes on the road. "That's more than she t-told me." She sighed, her eyes narrowing concernedly. Just then, I made a hard left and pulled into her driveway. Brooke had a nice house. In the gloom and the lamp light, it was white, with a grey-blue shingled roof and matching shutters. I parked sloppily, recklessly. Brooke hadn't said anything about my concussion or about the fact that I was driving with said concussion.

I felt a shadow pass over me and that wave of self-loathing was back. I didn't deserve for someone like her to even be around me.

"We're here," I said, in a suppressed mumble.

Casting another glance back at Pedra, and then at me, she let Pedra's hand slip out of hers. Then she pushed open the door. "Thanks," she said, giving another one of those polite smiles.

"N-no problem," I said. Pedra gave another arm-flopping half-wave. At first, I was going to let Brooke go, but as she was about to slam the door shut, I leaned over the center console, almost out of my seat, and pushed it back open. She look back at me, surprised.

"Pizza?" I got out.

"What?" she said, tilting her head to the side. An uncertain smile flinched its way onto her face.

"You wanna go get some?" I stuttered. "Pizza, I mean." I was flustered and fumbling for words. "Uh, tomorrow, at s-s-six o'clock, and I can pick you up." I was still leaning across the console, stretching to hold the door open. Windows, Steph. Cars have windows that you can open.

She hesitated, thinking about it. Then she smiled and said, "Okay. But I'm picking you up, Mr. Head Trauma."

"N-n-no," I said.

"Y-y-yes," she shot back.

The way she said it was endearing, and it made me laugh out loud. It didn't get under my skin, but instead made me want to finish climbing over the console and kiss her. But I didn't, of course.

"Okay," I said, "Good deal."

Brooke suddenly frowned, as if remembering something. Her eyes settled to the pavement. Then she said, "Thanks again," before hurrying off into her house and out of the rain. I didn't even have to time to give her a response. Everything seemed to be slightly off tonight.

Pedra and I survived the rest of the ride home, sitting in complete silence. Finally, we got back to the house, where Pedra stumbled out of the car and then followed in the front door behind me.

That shadow was back over me, and it felt like my stomach was pulling my chest down. I couldn't stop thinking about what I'd done; how I'd just left Pedra alone. How she wouldn't even talk to me. How something happened to her, even if I didn't yet know what. Barely seeing anything, I walked through the doorway and made a beeline for my bedroom. I let the door click shut behind me.

I heard Pedra rifling through cookware downstairs. There was a rustling of papers, the scraping of a kitchen stool against the linoleum. I felt tears heat up behind my eyes, and then I went over to sit on my bed. I felt the mattress sink beneath me. I ducked my head, my hands tangled in my hair, gripping it tight. Then I screamed, loud, barely knowing what I was doing. Suddenly, it was quiet downstairs. All I could hear was the sound of my own labored breathing.

Then feet galloping up the stairs.

"Steph?" I heard Pedra say as she shoved open the door of my room. When she saw me, her brown eyes were surprised, and she nearly receded back behind the door.

I bit my lip, hard. "Sorry," I said, and then again, face in my hands, almost crying, "Sorry. Sorry."

She hesitated. Then she walked over to me, sitting on the bed beside me. She curled up under my arm and laid in my lap as I stroked her hair, holding it together. I took a breath, hoping the shadow would go away. Hoping that Pedra would eventually tell me everything, so I could face what I'd done.

She fell asleep instead, the underneaths of her eyes lined with exhaustion, her cheeks streaked with tears. I carried her into her bedroom and tucked her into bed. I bent down and kissed her on the forehead, something I saw Mom do sometimes, and then I stood in the doorway, peaking in at her as she slept. I wondered when I started doing Mom's job for her.

Then I walked back into my bedroom and slept.

Spoiler! :
@HazelGrace16 I hope this is alright; thanks for your suggestions. If you want me to change anything, I'll be more than happy to!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:16 am
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

~Hawthorne

C'mon. Start.

I rub the dashboard of my car as I twist the key in the ignition. Nothing.

C'mon. Start.

Still nothing.

"C'mon baby." I plead. "Please start."

I try the ignition again. Still nothing. Laying my head on the steering wheel, I sighed, trying not to give into the hopelessness I felt, sitting out on a road where there I hadn't seen a soul in who knows how long. Somewhere along the road, I'd run over or hit something that punctured one of my tires. Since, I had a spare, it wasn't much of a problem to change. The real problem had been when I went to start the car and nothing happened. The battery had somehow died in the short time it took me to pull off and change the tire. I couldn't use my phone because there was no signal, and I had n idea where the next gas station was. Stepping out of the car, I looked up and the the side side road I was currently stuck on for any sign of life. There was nothing and no one.

I ran my hand through my hair, trying to keep from losing my shit. Then I lost my shit.

"Come on dammit!" I yelled as I hit the side of the car. "You son of a bitch!"

The car didn't respond of course, but I wanted it to.

"You're supposed to be the one thing in this world I can count on," my voice wavered as tears began welling in my eyes.

And then I started screaming, hitting and kicking the car like it would help anything. It's not like the alarm was going to go off. It's not like there was anyone around to hear the alarm go off even if it could. It's not like there was anything period. I was alone. Just like i'd always been. I shouldn't have been surprised.

You are nothing, and you are no one.

I crouched down beginning to rock back and forth, trying not to lose what little sanity I had left.

"Get ahold of yourself," I said, fighting through the urge to scream. "losing your mind on the side of the street won't help anything.

And so I sat there, rocking back and forth until I could feel myself grounding. Taking a deep breath, I stood up once more. Still no solution in sight.

"Ugh!" I kicked one of the tires. "Thanks for nothing!"

Just then, I heard the sound of... Galloping? Turning my gaze, I saw a horse, with what looked like a woman on top riding this way. Relief washed over me like cool and refeshing spring being poured over my body. Salvation! As the horse drew nearer, I could make out vivid red hair, but that was about it. I waved at her as she slowed down in front of me. Bright red hair. Emerald green eyes. Fair skin. somewhat delicate like.

"I'm so glad you're here," I sighed as she hopped unmounted from her horse. "My car battery died, so my car won't start."

I didn't realize how small she was until she got down and walked toward me. I was a full head taller than her.

"I'm sorry to hear that." she smiled. "If you'd like, I can take you back to my dad's ranch. I'll grab the truck so that we can jump start your car."

I could weep with joy right now. "Thank you so much!"

"By the way, the name's Natalie." she held out her hand.

"Hawthorne," I smiled back. "but you can call me Thorne."

I turned to the beauty standing behind her patiently, it's tail leisurely swaying from side to side. Moving towards it, I held my hand out so the horse, petting it when the lovely animal licked it.

"And who's this wonderful beast?" I kissed the spot between it eyes and it blew air in my face.

"That's Charger." she answered as I petted his mane atop his head and stroked him lovingly. "Who seems to have taken a liking to you."

"I've always been good with animals." I laughed as Charger licked my cheek.

"Nice." she smiled. "Ready to go?"

"Let's head out." Was my answer as I nodded.

Natalie mounted Charger, turning back to me. "Do you need help getting up? I-"

I mounted Charger before she could finish her sentence.

"Ok then," she nodded. "Let's be on our way."

And we were on our way.

Spoiler! :
@TheForgottenKingI hope this is ok! Let me know if there is something I need to change.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat