z

Young Writers Society

Oceanside Academy for the... Eccentric

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:50 pm
NicoleBri says...

Arena Potter- Gym class

"Hey." I walked up to a group of guys, Kaito, Stetson and someone I hadn't met yet.

"Hey." Stetson replied, his hand rubbed the back of his neck like someone had said something embarrassing but he kept a smile.

"Hey there." Kaito replied, his giggle led me to think something was just said about myself but I wasn't going to ask, obviously it wasn't my business.

"You guys going to be able to keep up this period?" I asked, gym was a good class for me and I was pretty good at lifting weights up to 210 lbs. In school gym class I did a lot of bench lifting so it made me stronger, a lot stronger than I thought I'd ever be.

"The question is.. can you keep up munchkin?" a guy behind them asked.

I laughed.

"I'm more than capable of caring my weight."

There were plenty of chuckles.

"Do you wanna test that theory?" Stetson asked, his smug grin only made me more eager.

"Most definitely."

The group of guys, myself, and two other girls all walked over to the bench press.

"We will start you off at 90 lbs. since you are a girl and all." one of them had said, I chuckled to myself, they didn't know what they were getting themselves into.

"Do 10 of these." he said and got behind the bench press to hold it up and give it to me.

"Only 10? Who are you kidding?" I asked and started the work out.

Stetson and Kaito stood there watching, I couldn't tell what either of them were thinking and as for everyone else, they were all quite and just watching. They most likely do not think I am capable; but ill prove it to all of them.

I finished the first set and they moved me up 15 more lbs. I was tired on the inside after they had gotten to 130 but I wasn't going to give up until I maxed out.

Spoiler! :
@Savvy, @soundofmind, I hope this was okay for yalls character and @Gravity your character wasn't really mentioned but he was part of the group and I hope this post is okay in general. :)
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:36 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Eliza Murphy- Lunch

The beginning of the year has always been my least favorite part of school. Even before I came to Oceanside. Everyone has got that hopeful "I cant wait for my life to start" attitude. Don't get me wrong, there are times I wish I could be that kid. The easy-going likable one with all the pretty features inside and out. However, time has taught me that I'm not going to be that person any time soon.

This year is harder than the others. Most of my friends graduated last year, and I'm back to where I was when I first arrived at Oceanside a few years ago. Only now I don't have a bunch of cool upperclassmen to pick me up, and deal with me. Making those friends was hard enough, and I'm not exactly the best people person. I guess I consider myself a nice person, but its when I have to create those close relationships that I mess up. Pleasing people is easy, but its when people want to get to know me that it freaks me out. You never know anyone's true intentions.

The bell rings for lunch, and everyone almost jumps out of their seats. It's typical. The first day everyone is trying to figure out where they belong, and who they belong with. I sit quietly in my classroom waiting for the last student to exit. Once I notice all the energies have disappeared I sigh, and stand feeling my way towards the door slowly. I stop a moment to take notice of the teachers energy. Its low, and sad. Something mustn't be right, but its not my place to ask. I keep walking exiting the classroom.

The hallway is mostly empty now so I take out my earphones, and place them in turning the volume on high. I'm on a genre mixing fix at the moment. Currently I am listening to a beautiful mix of classical, and techno. Its amazing what you discover when your not looking. Its the perfect mix of a haunting violin, and an angry dub step. Lindsey Sterling. Gotta give the girl props.

When I reach the lunch room my head begins to spin. So many energies in a room can make my brain feel like its going haywire. So many different emotions, levels, body language...I may be blind, but I still see a lot. After a few minutes of feeling my way towards an empty table I finally sit down. I grab a bag of pretzels from my backpack, and start nibbling on them as I drown out the world around me with music. Suddenly I'm jolted out of my own little world by the tug of my earphones. The energy of the person was familiar. and slow. And I knew who it was before he even sits down. I don't have to see to know he had a cocky smile plastered across his lips.

Aaron Van Amsberg. How did I not feel him coming? Weird.

"You know that was rude right? Or did your little pass out spell take away your judgement for manners?"

"Sorry Elle. You were the first "friendly" face I saw, and I thought I should come say hi. Besides I didn't think you were the type for social events like lunch. I can see my notions were right considering you're alone." He says his voice slurred. My nose scrunches up at the smell of alcohol on his breath.

"First. Who the hell gave you the idea that you could call me that? We aren't exactly friends. Second I do have friends, but they graduated. Sorry that I'm not as "likable" and "charismatic" as you. We all can't make best friends in the first few days. And third could you please not breathe all over me. I'm not gonna make assumptions about your drinking problem, but I do know there are better ways to spend your time." For a moment it seemed like I almost struck a nerve, but he was good. The flash of anger was gone as fast as it had come. I could feel the cocky smile return.

"Hm. Fiesty. I like it. I think I'm gonna stick with Elle. Or maybe Ellie would be better?" I felt my face turn warm. I pinched my leg trying to stop it. No way I would let this guy creep under my skin.

He just wont let up. I think I finally met my match, and there is no way I am going down without a fight.

Spoiler! :
@Gravity Let me know what I should change. Left it open for you to finish the conversation. :)
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:03 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Aaron Van Amsberg

I dragged myself out of bed at around 12:30 pm, smoking a cigarette as I dressed. I did a few shots of vodka, then headed out the door.

I didn't eat anything for lunch, drinking on an empty stomach got me drunk faster and kept me there longer, but I pushed that out of my head. I just focused on walking straight. Antagonizing Eliza was fun, I could see that I really got under her skin.

The periods after lunch were power development courses and I scoffed, I knew they would be easy.

Everybody filed into the gigantic classroom, it was located in the arts/electives building on the top floor. It was like a giant library, with books lining the walls. I assumed they were on different powers, but I didn't really care. There were tables everywhere with dividers that could either be dropped down underneath the table, separating legs and knees instead, or pulled up to offer some privacy. Along the back wall there was a door, I had no idea where it led.

The edges of my vision were pleasantly warm and fuzzy and I sat down, sticking a piece of mint gum in my mouth. There were maybe a hundred kids in the room and everyone just chose a table and sat down.

"Welcome," the man in the front of the room had an earpiece and his voice echoed in a couple of speakers. The room quieted down after a lot of hushing and he spoke some more.

"My name is Mr. O'Malley and I will be your power development teacher," he paused, his voice didn't sound artificial, it just sounded like he had a loud voice and it wasn't really that weird.

"Power development is not just about discovering your physical power, but it's about harnessing your mental power as well, your will to control and strengthen the physical ability that lies inside of you." I smirked. it sounded like Dumbledore voodoo shit.

"The way this class works, is you will be separated into groups, you will be divided based on similar abilities. These small groups will be led by leaders who have graduated from Oceanside and have a similar power to those in the group. These are people who were exemplary students, offered a position by the school to either help them pay their dues in the adult world, or to further their careers as professors here at Oceanside. these people are wiser and more experienced than you are, you must listen to them. I am the overall supervisor, so if your small group instructor has a question or is unsure about how to proceed in a certain situation, they come to me.

Now," he paused, "You may be asking, 'who is this guy? what right does he have to lead this course?' Well," he paused for a moment and furrowed his brow, concentrating, before he vanished into thin air. "This is my power," he reappeared once more and then lifted a student in a chair effortlessly.

"I have the ability to conform to and adapt any power in the world." he set the student down, "I know the struggles each and every one of you go through with your power," he looked at me for a moment, "And I also know how to help you handle this. Your grade in this class depends entirely upon you. This is the only class you will ever take that is impossible to cheat in, to copy somebody else in or to take credit for a grade you didn't deserve in things as frivolous as group projects. You might have to work harder than others to better yourself, but you will better yourself."

Everybody's eyes were fixed on O'Malley but I wasn't buying it. A class I couldn't cheat in? That didn't exist. And even if it were possible, I didn't want it to exist.

I spit my gum into the wrapper and took out a new piece, sighing as the fresh flavor exploded in my mouth.

I handed out sheets of paper that organized our groups.

"These are the groups you are in, many of you are in a group that may be both independent and group work, some of you will remain independent but will work a few times a week with another student, some of you are in pairs. It just depends on your power and how well you have managed your power in the past. These groups are not negotiable. Each of you are using your groups to help you, not your grade. Your grade depends on your level of improvement. If, in the past, you have shown to have an extremely difficult power to manage, the little baby steps can be quite difficult for you to achieve. Therefore, you get a higher grade for those things than for somebody else who maybe doesn't have as much difficulty. This class is going to be graded on effort."

I looked at my paper as he handed it to me, searching the long lists of names for mine.

Coraline Brennan. Cool, maybe she'll be hot.

Mr. O'Malley started to sort kids into their groups, putting cards with numbers around the room and telling them to assemble and push desks together to make their own tables. I was in Group 2, but I didn't see my number.

O'Malley approached me, then.

"Aaron Van Amsberg?" He said.

"Yup."

"You and Ms. Brennan will be working together, however, due to the nature of her power she needs to be isolated from the rest of the class, as do you. I've read your file and can't quite understand your power, do you need to stay drunk to control it?"

"Well you see," I said, "I didn't know any of this power mojo existed until a few days ago, I just knew that my emotions were out of control and I didn't want to see a shrink. Drinking, smoking," I chuckled, "Drugs, all that keeps it in control."

He nodded, "I see. Well then it's a good idea for you to be isolated too." I got angry then.

"Look, I'm not a freak. I don't need to be 'isolated.'" I air quoted around 'isolated'. "I want to drink and I want to chill. Can you do that for me."

He looked me square in the eye, "Mr. Van Amsberg, I hate to break it to you but you're going to be an adult in a few years. Grow up. I expect you to be completely sober when you walk into my classroom tomorrow morning and if you're not, you will suffer the consequences. You will work with Ms. Brennan and you will be kind and have a good attitude, because she doesn't need you fucking things up for her more than they already are. Have I made myself clear?" I was startled by his language, this man meant business. Not only that, but I felt a strange urge to do what he said. UGH, compulsion. Not that I could resist in my drunken state.

"Go through that door," he pointed to the unmarked class I had noticed earlier, "And go to the very last hallway on the left. I placed her as far away from other students as possible. Ms. Brennan has the ability to make one see things, things nobody should ever see. She cannot control it, no matter how hard she tries, and it has left her very unstable as a result. She has vivid hallucinations as well. You must use your power to help her control hers and vice versa. Your instructor will be waiting in that hallway. If you are anything but kind to her, you will suffer the consequences. You have two objectives for this week: be kind and be sober. Go."

The shot of vodka I had done hours ago was beginning to wear off, and I was scared. What could she do to me? What would I feel?

In front of me, there was a lanky boy with brown hair, brown eyes and a large pair of glasses framing his face. He wore jeans and a shirt with spiderman on it. Dork I thought.

I immediately felt, unsure, but that wasn't just my uncertainty. I felt afraid, but it was not my fear. It was his. My heart was racing, my palms were sweating.

"Stop," I commanded, shutting the door behind me and standing against it. In another room I felt... despair. Destruction. Intense fear and self loathing.

"Stop what?" The boy said.

"You have to s-s-stop feeling," I stuttered, the intensity of the feelings in the other room hitting me.

"Sorry," the boy shut his eyes and rubbed his palms, concentrating and slowing his heart rate.

"No," I gasped, clutching my head. There was pain, despair, things I wasn't used to feeling, "Not you, that," I pointed into the next room, the one at the end of the hall.

"One moment," he said, going into the room. The pain intensified as he opened the door, but then seemed to dull.

"You can come in," he called. The pounding in my head was now a dull ache and I entered the room.

"My name is Adam and I am your instructor. I am gifted in compulsion and dream manipulation. I can manipulate feelings like you, and perception like her, but I need to speak to you in order to do it."

As I entered the room, I noticed it was divided like a recording studio, with a wall that was half glass. She was sitting on the very far side of the large room, at least 30 or so feet from me. That, and the barrier seemed to help. Her skin was pale, like she'd never seen the sun. Her eyes were large and blue, and very scared. She was in the corner, her body folded up with her knees to her chest. Her dark hair provided and extreme contrast to her nearly transparent, papery skin. Her eyes darted around the room and her chest rose and fell rapidly, as if she were hyperventilating.

At once, her eyes glazed over and she began to whimper, sliding onto her side in fetal position, her hair splayed on the wooden boards of the room. Then she began to scream, clawing at her face. I couldn't imagine what she was seeing, but suddenly my headache intensified. The distance made it slightly better, but whatever relief that had provided me was now gone.

I sank to the floor clutching my head and Adam got my attention.

"Your name is Aaron," he said, his voice like honey, sweet and smooth,

"My name is Aaron," I whispered, in a daze,

"You will listen to what I say," he said strongly, his honey voice washing over the words,

"Uh....." I whimpered,

"You will feel calm, you do not feel pain," the pain in my head ceased and my heart rate slowed, though I could hear Coraline's muffled screaming in the next room over,

"You will walk in there, and you will touch her head. You will make her feel calm, too. You cannot do it from a distance yet, but you can project by touch."

I staggered to my feet, opening the door and walking over to her, her screams splitting my eardrums. I couldn't feel my body, it was like I was weightless, I didn't exist, but I saw my hand reaching for her dark, curly hair. I rest my hand on her head and felt... something. I don't know how I did it, it was as if Adam's force was driving me to use raw, untrained power. But Coraline stopped whimpering, she stopped convulsing on the floor. Her icy blue eyes flew open, shocking me.

A ghost of a smile was on her lips, a peaceful look in her otherwise tormented eyes. "What is this?" she murmured.

Spoiler! :
@QueenofHearts
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:40 am
mcleo1 says...

Briony Carter

I felt a nudge at my side and opened my eyes to see a mop of strawberry blonde hair sitting down next to me. She leaned closer to me, lowering her voice, "I saw that you were asleep, I thought it was best I wake you instead of Malady." I nodded looking down at my watch again, 12:20. So close, and yet again so far from being out of this class.

"Thanks, I'm Briony." I smiled at her in thanks and she smiled back a bit.

"Trixie," our eyes then followed Mr. Malady as he walked around the class room. I didn't know how much work he could give for this semester but he seemed to have plenty to spare. It was a miracle I didn't wake up with an earful instead.

"Do I hear ... I think Australian?" Trixie looked a little confused but gave a shrug.

"I'm not really entirely sure to be honest."

"Really?"

"Really." It was strange, but it didn't matter much I assumed.

"Class Dismissed, I will see you all another day." announced Mr. Malady as he left hurriedly. I checked my watch once more, 12:27. I heard some whispers here and there in a bit of confusion until some of the others just started to talk.

I stood up, grabbing my things and so did Trixie. "Finally lunch, would you care to sit with me my savior?" I grinned at her.

She chuckled a bit, "Why of course fair lady." She grabbed her own things and we started walking down the hall and out of the building.

"We have to pick someone up along the way though, is that alright?"

"Yeah, it's fine. Who is it?" I was about to answer her when we heard a small chirp, I looked around but saw nothing. But then Trixie pulled a small baby bird out of her hair. "Hey Wren, have a nice nap?"

My eyes narrowed a bit "Is that a bird?"

She looked over at me, "Yeah, this is Wren, Wren this is Briony." I looked down at the small bird, it almost looked like he was analyzing me, but that couldn't be. Could it?

"So, you’re telling me you snuck in a baby bird, and brought it to class?"

"Pretty much."

"I brought Ambrose, my leopard gecko. But I don't think bringing him to class would be a good way to test the teachers."

"Wren is... I just can't leave him. He still needs nurturing." I studied the bird a bit, he was very blue, and still very little. I could see what she meant.

We steered our way towards the Theatre room. Theatre was just being let out since we were out earlier. I saw some familiar faces from my previous class. I even saw a flash of purple hair that looked familiar somehow. The last out of the room was Cora. She seemed a bit surprised to see me, but I hoped she was glad at least. "Hey Cora."

"Hi... who's your friend?" she asked, motioning to Trixie.

"Well, this is Trixie. She's in my art class actually, and Trixie this is my roommate Cora. Oh yeah, the bird is Wren." Cora's eyes went immediately to the bird and she smiled. "We should be getting to lunch, come on." We turned, heading towards the Cafeteria now.

"Is Wren a Blue Bird?" Cora asked, still mystified by the little bird.

"Yeah, he is. He's still a baby actually." Trixie tucked the little bird back under her hair as we walked into the Cafeteria. The setup was pretty similar to how this morning was, just there weren't any breakfast foods and it was a lot more crowded.

It went pretty similar as it did this morning, we got in line to grab our food and then headed towards the table that Cora and I had sat at in the morning. But this time instead of being empty, some boy was sitting there. Cora seemed a little uncomfortable with sitting there, but I just charged straight ahead and sat down across from the boy. Now that I saw him, I realized he had been in my Fitness class. I think his name was Oren or something.

"Hey Oren. How was class?" I asked.

"Did she just say his name is Oreo?" Trixie whispered to Cora who just shrugged in reply.

Oren just glared at them before answering me.

"Yeah. It was okay I suppose. Who are your friends?" he glared once again at Trixie and Cora.

"Ah! I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Trixianna Argyle. Sorry about the Oreo comment. I misheard what Brie had said. You forgive me?" She looked down at her tray sheepishly. Trixie sat down and so did Cora as well. Oren looked at them and sighed.

'It's fine, really. Oren Blackburn, and your Cora right?" he asked as he looked over to Cora. She nodded, not saying anything as she started to eat.

"Is that your bird that I saw in class?" he looked down at Wren in interest, reaching out towards the small bird. Wren pecked at Oren's hand as he pulled it away, "Ouch, guess he doesn't liked to be touched does he?"

"No... Wren doesn't like to be touched really, well except by me." Trixie said as she looked down at the bird on the table. I looked around, no teachers were around, but if any of them saw Wren, I was guessing their reaction wouldn't be good.

I noticed Trixie looking at me with an odd look on her face. "Why are you looking around like that? A few teachers have noticed him already and don’t mind him. He helps me keep in control. Don’t worry about it."

"I just... well pets aren't allowed remember? I mean some teachers might be cool with this, but some don't. That's all." The bird walked around the perimeter of the table, eyeing each and everyone one of us it seemed. Trixie and Cora seemed to just watch him. I looked back over at Oren and down at his book. "What are you reading Oren?" I scanned the page, for a second. "Is that Andromeda? From the myth with Perseus, son of Zeus? I love her constellation."

"Yeah, I decided to reread some myths..."

"Do you have the one with Orion's Belt?" he nodded, flipping through the pages of the books. Oren and I started to talk more about Greek Mythology and there constellations. Which were our favorite or which ones we didn't really much like.

At the end of lunch we got up, and headed towards the power development class. "I wonder what it's going to be like." Asked Trixie as she put Wren back up on her shoulder.

"It'll probably be pretty boring. Nothing much will probably happened." I nodded at Oren and looked over at Cora. She seemed to have gone eerily quiet.

"Cora, what about you? What do you think the class will be like?"

"I...I don't know...” she went back to twisting, and pulling at her hair. Oren and Trixie tried to ignore her nervous habits, which she seemed to have plenty of.

We got there a little early, but not early enough for the whole room to be empty. It seemed to be huge, I didn't know how many students would be there, but there'd be plenty. I waved goodbye to Oren and Trixie, heading towards an older looking man with Cora. She had told me at lunch that she had been informed a little bit about power development classes. She seemed to get more and more anxious as time went on. "Hello, I'm Briony Carter. This is Coraline Brennan."

The man looked between us for a moment and then back to Cora. "Ah, Coraline. Yes come with me. Go back to your seat Ms. Carter. Class will begin very soon." my eyes followed Cora as she was lead into an unmarked class. I sighed and went back to a seat.

That was the last I saw of Cora for the moment, soon another boy was lead through the same door and we were put into groups. I scanned the paper. It said:

Group 6:
Bela Singh
Briony Carter
Jay Bennett
Chris Keiko

Ours were very separate kinds of powers, but I was guessing no one else had the same power as me. It was natural, some powers were more common than others or were more closely related to one another.

The older gentleman who was Mr. O'Malley walked up to my group. "Well, you all know why you are here. Your powers all have a similarity to them, but all are very unique in their own way. Today we're going to see what each and everyone one of you can do, how well you can do it, and for how long." He then pointed to me, "Let's see what you can do Ms. Carter." The other three looked towards me expectantly and I took a deep breathe.

I stepped away from them and closed my eyes, I feel someone split from me, and then another one. I opened my eyes and looked to Melody (she had pale blue eyes) and Ophelia (a pale green) compared to my natural grey eyes. "What other things can you do Ms. Carter?"

"I... can only split into 3 beings at the moment, we can be about a mile away from each other as well. It works like this as well though, we have this sort of mental connection."

"So that we can finish each other’s-" Melody said as she was cut off by Ophelia.

"Sentences and be in sync." And then I finished it off with,

"But, I don't know what they have experienced until we have come together again."

Mr. O'Malley nodded, "Very good, very good. We'll get back to you in a minute. Jay Bennett, you're next." I sighed in relief that the spotlight was off of me. I was just about to just be me again when he stopped me. "No, stay like that Briony. Let's see how long you can stay like that."

"Alright..." I focused my eyes on Jay as he disappeared.

"My power is invisibility and..." it went like this for the rest of the class.
Spoiler! :
@LordZeus @MariaRowlands @QueenOfHearts @Gravity
I hope this is alright.
Swimming in murky water is one of the more interesting things in life. :mrgreen:

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:33 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

-Cora-

School isn't all that bad.

Really, it's not.

I roll my eyes at my own thoughts and resume drawing lace on my skin with a pen. A knot of nerves grows in my stomach as I watch the door anxiously, wondering exactly who was about to walk through. The sun shines through the large windows behind me, and I huddle in the corner avoiding it's harsh glare. Thing One and Thing Two are still following me, the kitten sulking- why, I had no idea- and the white ooze happily crawling up the wall. A faceless woman in white prowls around me, dripping brown water, and I shiver, swallowing and edging away from her. I pet the kitten for a moment before the door flies open, startling me. Thing One and Thing Two disappear, and I vaguely make out two human shapes coming through the door before all of that disappears and is replaced with a large pool of what looks like acid.

Tiny poisonous snakes spill out from the ducts and slither towards me, and I work on not screaming. The woman wearing the white dress turns toward me, and I shut my eyes, trying not to see- but of course that doesn't work. She wears my mother's face, and I concentrate on not sobbing. One of the snakes wriggles up my sleeve and turns into a thin razor blade, from what I can feel. I scream as incredible pain rushes through me as the rest of the snakes slither at me and turn into little knives or razors. The vat of acid boils, and overflows, and I sob into the ground, hoping desperately that the hallucination would end before I watch my flesh being stripped from my bones.

Suddenly, it all ends. All of it. Thing One and Thing Two appear back, and when I open my eyes, a boy hovers over me, his expression a mix of fear and confusion. "What is this?" The words escape my lips unbidden, and I snap them shut again, afraid of what might come out if I don't think.

I notice his hand hovering over my hair, and I duck out from underneath it. "Don't touch me. It never ends well."

Quickly, I get up, putting as much distance between us as I can. A pounding headache rises in my skull, and I wince, sitting on the window ledge and drawing my knees up to my chest.

The kitten pads over to me, and I lift her into my lap, petting her soft, white fur. "You're Aaron, right?" I feel oddly calm, and when another boy walks through the door, I eye him suspiciously. "Which one of you is doing this to me?"

Aaron nods. "Um... yeah. And you're Coraline?" He winces as he looks at me, and slowly steps further away.

I shrug. "Just Cora." He nods, and I frown at him. "Are you doing this to me?"

"Doing what?"

The other one- which I'd nearly forgotten about- pipes up. "Mr. Van Amsberg is controls emotions, so if you're talking about the way you feel right now, yes, he was the one who made you feel calm."

I narrow my eyes. "And you would be..."

"Adam. Your instructor? I told you this when I brought you here." He frowns, stepping closer, but I lean back, my eyes flicking back to Thing One.

"I don't think I was listening." The kitten purrs in my lap, and I smile at her. Or my hallucination just made me forget the past twenty minutes of my life.

"I'm gifted in compulsion and dream manipulation." He nods briskly.

I snort. "Well, aren't we just perfect for the job." I've been holding my power in tight all day, ever since my teacher wouldn't let me move away from the rest of the class. Anger swells in my chest, and screechy Bach begins to play in my ears.

Aaron eyes me, a little hesitant, and I raise my eyebrows at him before turning my attention back to Adam. "You can manipulate dreams?"

Adam nods, a little confused. "I have to have your attention to do it, though-"

I cut him off. "Great, then you're going to be writing the headmistress a letter about how I can't have a roommate. Then you're going to be telling the rest of my teachers that if I want to sit in the corner, I can sit in the goddamned corner."

The white lady reappears beside me, wrapping a cold hand around my wrist. I jump away from her, surprised. Thankfully, she's faceless again, but the white mist that surrounds her doesn't look at all appealing.

Ignoring her like I normally do with all of my hallucinations, I turn back to Adam. "So, can you do that?"

He nods slowly. "I'll see what I can do."

I let the anger fade, and smile at Thing Two, which squelches happily on the floor and wraps itself around my leg.

Aaron steps toward both of us, and says, "So, are we going to be learning anything, or are we just going to sit around and talk?" He smirks.

Adam leans against the wall, studying us. "Well, what can you do with your powers now? How much control do you think you have?"

The rest of class passes with us analysing our powers, and when the final bell rings, I follow Aaron out the door. "Are you immune to my power?"

He shrugs lazily. "Why would I be?" He raises an eyebrow as I frown.

We're only standing a few feet apart, and I wonder what would happen if I touched him. Still, I can't just ask to touch him, so I shrug, and nod goodbye. Briony smiles at me as I duck around her, wanting to get out of the rush of people pouring out of the main classroom.

Spoiler! :
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:47 am
MariaRowlands says...

Trixianna Argyle

After Briony, Cora and Oren left for their separate groups Trixie had a quick look through the names in her own.

Group One:

- Harris Abner
- Eliza Murphy
- Nyx Blackwell
- Trixianna Argyle
- Lucifer Shi Gohan

Looks as though I might have some fun here after all. She thought when she noticed Nyx was in her group. The girl practically oozed fun and randomness at their first meeting. Or maybe that's just how it seemed to Trixie.

She folded up the piece of paper and looked around at the other groups until she founds group 1. She headed over to there, and she saw a tall blonde, talking to the others in her group. When she saw Trixie join them, she smiled. "You must be Trixianna. Welcome. I'm Jade, your group leader for this year in Power Development class."

"Cool. Are we supposed to have some kind of introduction thing, where we go around the group saying our name and power and a unique part of ourselves? Or does that only happen in therapy groups?" Trixie asked

Jade didn't reply and just looked at her strangely. Well. Now I know not to speak during this. She thought rather forlornly before she walked over to Nyx, the only person in the group she had met.

"So....How was the normal classes for you?" she asked awkwardly and was only met with silence. "Okay...I guess Ill just-"

"It was okay. A bit boring but that's class. This, I'm sure will be fun." Nyx gave her a quick smile.

"So...Ah....Air manipulation is your power too right? I cant do much. Just send little wind in whichever way I point my finger. Kinda like this." She pointed her finger away from the others and at a chair sitting a little to her left and flicked it a little, causing a large gust to send the chair flying.

"Well done. Is that the first time you've done one that big?" Nyx asked.

"Uh....Its that obvious?" Trixie blushed and ducked her head under her hair.

"Yeah. A bit. You had no real control over it."

"There will be no more demonstrations like that from you Miss Argyle." Jade scolded. "That was really irresponsible of you. You could have hurt someone."

Next thing everyone knew, Wren came zooming out of Trixie's hair and zoomed around Jade tweeting and pecking here and there, completely furious that someone hurt his best friend.

"WREN! NO! STOP!" Trixie ran after him, not realising she was running on air until she had grabbed him gently in one hand and fallen to the ground.

"Over protective twit." she flicked his beak softly before passing out, releasing him as she did.

Trixie began to wake and looked up to see Jade looking down at her down at her, "Get up now Miss Argyle. I understand you only recently gained your power but you need to be more careful. You will stand with the rest, quiet, patient, and respectful. You will listen to me, use your powers when I tell you to, and please try and be more careful. Is that understood??"

Trixie got up hurriedly, nodding, "Yes ma'm."

"Good," Jade went back to paying attention to the other students as she questioned them. But all Trixie could feel were there gazes at her, and her cheeks burning up in embarassment. She felt Wren cuddle up next to her on her shoulder, trying to comfort her, and Nyx giving her a look that said everything was going to be alright.

Spoiler! :
@SkyWalker hope it's all good. I was a bit unsure what to put for Nyx. Let me know if I need to change anything.

Spoiler! :
Is this better @Gravity ?
Last edited by MariaRowlands on Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
May The Blood of my Enemies Flow Like Rivers to the Sea

271 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:05 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Bela Singh

I was in a group with 2 girls and one other guy, Mr. O'Malley came to join us.

"Hello," he said, pulling out a chair and sitting down. He was a balding man with gray hair. He was thin, other than a slight belly that was only a little noticeable underneath his blue, button down shirt and black slacks.

"Do we have an instructor?" the redheaded girl asked.

"No. You all have very unique powers, ones that really can't be categorized because of the group you're in. You all will be mainly working with me. Of course, I need to check in on other students so much of your work will also be individual. This means that you're development will be more difficult than some others."

Briony sat back in her chair, chewing on her lip.

"Mr. O'Malley?" I squeaked out, "It says I'll be, uh, working with Kaito Y-yasushi?"

"Yes, you must be Miss Singh. Mr. Yasuhi has the ability to communicate with animals, hence, you both will be working closely together." I nodded, my shoulders collapsing in on themselves.

Jay grinned his usual grin, "Is it strange that I have the same power as the headmistress?" O'Malley seemed to ignore this, turning to the girl with the bright purple hair.

"Chris- er- Christie," O'Malley addressed her, "You are required to share your power. And your group does need to know what you look like in your original, unique form. Other than that, you may stay in this form but you must stay consistent in this form with other students unless you are in this classroom. Okay?" she nodded.

She turned into an African American male with short, black hair. It was strange seeing her/him in girly clothes.

"I'm Chris," her/his voice was deeper and he flashed a bright smile before switching back to his girlie, purple haired form.

"But please, call me Christie. I have the power to shapeshift into people." We all nodded.

Jay grinned, "So is it fun being a girl?"

"If it weren't enjoyable I wouldn't choose this form. So... yeah."

"I think it's impressive," I whispered, "You get to experience the world through so many pairs of eyes." Christie smiled at that, and it was a truly beautiful smile.

Two copies of Briony appeared behind her, "I have the power to multiply myself," she said.

"That's really cool," Christie encouraged. I smiled a little, it was a neat power.

Everybody turned to me.

"What's your power?" Christie asked, in a polite but interested manner. "Based on what O'Malley said," she glanced at him, "it's something to do with animals?"

"Oh, I uh," my cheeks flamed red.

"Bela," O'Malley addressed me by my first name and I blushed further, "I want you to be absolutely comfortable in here. I can read that you are very shy in nature, but you must not let that stop you. You should show them, you should be very proud of your power. It's rare to have the control over it that you do."

I relaxed at his words. Mr. O'Malley was encouraging and his voice soothed me, though I thought maybe that was influence he was drawing from another power in the room.

I took a deep breath and focused, picturing an animal and letting the feeling of warmth wash over me.

Suddenly, all I could see were the legs under the table. I hopped up on the table top, my furry white paws flexing on the wood.

"meow" I said. Everybody at the table melted, I'd transformed into a kitten. Even dog lovers couldn't hate kittens. Particularly kittens that didn't scratch.

Jay reached out to pet me and I clambered back off the table, changing back to my human form.

"That was the most adorable thing I've ever seen," Jay said, laughing. My cheeks turned pink with pride, not embarrassment. They seemed impressed by my power.

I glowed.

Spoiler! :

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kaito

Syllabuses, syllabuses, and even more syllabuses. Kaito didn't even have to guess what would come in the classes awaiting him. He knew it would be a bore, and that he'd probably have to entertain himself in some other way to avoid falling asleep - at least, in his first class.

His eyes drowsily followed Mr. Schultz as he entered the classroom, and he could tell just from the way he held himself that he was going to be a painfully strict teacher. He withheld a sigh and listened as he went on and on about safety procedures and rules during labs, and stuff about assignments, expectations, blah, blah, blah. Schultz's voice began to sound like the adults in those Charlie Brown cartoons, and Kaito began to space out, staring out in no direction in particular... or so he thought.

It could've been several minutes or several seconds, but when he came back to Mr. Earth he realized he had been staring directly at some girl in a wheelchair. In a few split seconds he considered if he would be able to play it off as him staring intentionally, but decided that flirting in the middle of class, even thought it might be fun, might not leave a great first impression on the teacher (who, beyond being strict, was actually pretty intimidating). He blinked a few times, letting out a yawn as he averted his eyes. He had hoped that she hadn't noticed, but luck was not on his side today.

In the brief moment he looked back to make sure she hadn't seen, they locked eyes and she smiled. Ok, back to plan A. He smiled back, giving a small wave of his hand before looking back to the teacher, who actually managed to grab his attention with a sudden change in topic. It seemed that now he was assigning lab partners, and he heard his name...

"...Keigan and Kaito..." he said, pointing to the lab table that the girl was at.

And because life if just FULL of coincidences and his luck seemed to so fortunately tale a turn, he ended up being paired with the girl he'd just waved to. As people were getting up and moving around to their partners, Kaito got up and sat next to Keigan - apparently, that was her name. She seemed happy that she didn't have to move like a few of the other kids did.

"I guess I should've told you guys not to get too comfortable," Mr.Schultz chuckled as a few of the students groaned and reluctantly moved seats. "But the people you're sitting with now will be your partners for a while, so now you can get comfortable."

Kaito smiled as he plopped down into the seat next to Keigan, shrugging. "Keigan, right?"

"That's me!" She said, smiling. Thankfully the shuffling of students opened up a brief minute for introductions.

"I'm Kaito!" He replied as they shook hands.

"NOW! Pay attention, class." Schultz interjected, turning everyone's heads. He began to give instructions for their mini lab, which ended up being rather... boring. I mean, Kaito wasn't expecting something like dissection in a Chemistry class, but he had hoped... he sighed. Oh well.

History was like a distant memory, fitness was a desperately needed relief, and Spanish was next. Honestly, he didn't know why he signed up for Spanish. He already knew English (as his first), Japanese, and a few words in Hebrew (thank you grandparents), and he could ALSO understand animals. Why not go for another language, right? ... Right? Oh, whatever. Spanish was actually pretty enjoyable, and he was happy that Keigan was also in that class with him, and they sat together again. She was also sitting with her roommate, Bela, who he got to briefly meet before Mr. Rosene started class.

I'm almost done with classes today. He began to tell himself. Soon all of the boring lists of rules and procedures would be over, and in a few days they'd start getting to the real stuff in most of their classes. He looked at his schedule again, briefly.

He was right when he guessed about them having classes for their powers. Apparently they were dubbed "Power Development Classes." He laughed to himself. If it didn't sound so much like "Childhood Development" (which he knew to be a class for learning about kids) or something, maybe it wouldn't sound so lame. But because of the nature of the class, and because of some of the freaky powers he'd already witnessed, he figured it'd be the complete opposite. Maybe.

He was a little confused at the details of this class. It said he'd be working closely with that Bela girl, but from what he'd heard from other student, a lot of them were in groups. What, was his power just really weird or something?

"Psh. Independent learning? What does that even mean." He mumbled to himself as he walked to his last class.

"Since you can communicate with animals, you'll be working closely with them, and with Bela Signh, since she can shape-shift into animals." Mr. O'Malley (cat) explained.

Oh god, they really were going to make him work with animals. They were serious about this whole power development thing, weren't they.

And it didn't stop there. O'Malley continued, "You'll be looking at how different animals communicate and think differently. The goal of this class if for you to improve and perfect your skillful use of your power. We want you to improve in your understanding of animals, and that can involve understanding them from farther distances, or if possible, even reading into their thoughts and actions. I want you to be stretched in your power. See how much you can do, find out your limits."

Kaito nodded slowly, trying to withhold the question that was nagging at the back of his mind.

O'Malley tiltled his head slightly and searched Kaito's face. "What, does that bore you?"

"No." He responded, honestly. "I just don't get it. So what, I can communicate with animals? What's the point? Like, I get that I can but what's the point? How's this useful or practical?"

After hearing the words come out of his mouth, he realized just how much he sounded like his father just then. Damn, and he thought that he didn't let his dad get to him...

O'Malley leaned back in his chair, contemplating for a moment, still studying Kaito closely.

"Aren't you the least bit curious as to what you can really do?" He asked.

Kaito pursed his lips. "Well... sure, but -"

"You won't pass this class if you don't try."

That might've been good to know before Kaito apparently made himself look like an idiot.
"...Oh."

"Where are you at right now, with your powers?" O'Malley asked.

"Farther than I was yesterday."

O'Malley wasn't impressed.

Ok, ok, nevermind. No jokes! "Uh-uhm, like... well, I mean, I don't... really use it often. Not intentionally anyway. Sometimes tweeting just translates into words in my head. Or animals will come to ME, and I can understand. A few times I've been able to talk back, I guess."

"Any weakness, lack of clarity?"

"Um, well, I guess it depends. Sometimes if there's a lot of noise from a lot of animals at once it feels like my mind's working too hard at trying to translate it all or something, and it hurts my head. It's really not the same. With crowds of people talking, that doesn't happen. But as I said, I dunno man. I honestly haven't really tried it out that much. Animals... kind of annoy me."

"Ah." O'Malley nodded, eyebrows raised.

Just "ah?" What did that mean?

He began to laugh, "Interesting."

Spoiler! :
@Gravity @TinyJarStoredDreams Hope this is ok for now!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

271 Reviews

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:03 pm
Gravity says...

Bela Singh

When class ended, I walked out of the building next to Keigan. She was talking about science-y things and her group, the impression she got of the people in it.

"What did you think about the people in your group?" she asked.

"Well, there's this girl. Well, guy, their name is Christie. But Christie is a shape shifter and was originally born Chris. Briony can make copies of herself and Jay turns invisible. He's really goofy, I feel like he's going to end up being the class clown."

"I think that's the most you've ever said at one time," Keigan said, laughing.

I blushed, but I blushed at everything.

"I turned into a kitten for them, to show them my power," I offered.

"Awwww! That's so adorable." Keigan exclaimed, "What kind of kitten?"

"Small and completely white."

"Oh my goodness!" she said as I opened the door to the dorm for her. She wheeled into the small elevator, for handicapped kids only. The others trudged up the stairs.

The elevator dinged and I felt the familiar pressure underneath my feet as we traveled up. It stopped, dinging open, and we went into the hallway with the flow of kids. Keigan and I headed back to our rooms, but some of the kids stayed in the hallways to chatter.

I shut the door, exhaling in relief as I walked to the trunk at the end of my bed and pulled out clothes. I took out a pair of white, denim shorts that went to the middle of my thighs and a navy blue shirt with black converses. I let my long hair down, flowing almost to my butt after I brushed it out and the curls settled.

Keigan changed as well, wearing short shorts and a low cut tank top with flip flops. I laid back in my bed, feeling tired enough to get under the covers, but I didn't because I knew if I did, I would sleep forever.

"How were your other classes?" Keigan asked.

I rolled over and mumbled into the covers. "Mmmuphgnt."

"Huh?"

"Mgytumph."

"Okay?"

"mmmph."

I heard Keigan chuckle as I stared into the blackness behind my eyelids, my face smushed in the pillow.

"Smush," I muttered, except it came out like "thmsh."

I sat up slowly, reluctantly getting out of bed.

"Whatchya doin?" she asked as I stood up.

"I'm gonna go for a walk. See you in a bit?" Keigan nodded and I left, weaving my way in and out of chattering students who hadn't yet made their way to their rooms.

The hallways had calmed down quite a bit, but I saw students milling around campus, walking into the recreational building or even just sitting on the grass and talking with friends.

I made my way to the recreational building, which was settled between the girls' and guys' dorms.

The first floor had the cafeteria on one side and a gym on the right, with the pool downstairs. The building was built on a hill, so it appeared the pool was only visible from one side of the building, the back. I walked up the stairs, following a steady trail of milling students up to the game rooms. There were sofas and bean bag chairs with tables and a shelf full of every board game you could imagine. There were even tables for pool and foosball. Off the large floor, there were several rooms with TVs and game consoles and sofas.

I kept walking up the stairs and inhaled, smelling what I really wanted to smell. Just as I suspected, large shelves came into view. The shelves were full of books and the smell of dusty pages and stale ink filled my nose, immediately comforting me.

The desk was empty and there wasn't anybody else on the floor. I noted there were several shoeboxes stacked on the desk and I opened the first one the read A-C. Inside the box were notecards, each adorned with the title on the book. There were names and dates inked on the cards, and I knew that this was the system they used rather than computers.

As I looked through the cards, one of them read Tromlui, A History of the Genocide. The book was by a woman named Beth Alaric.

I froze at that title. Genocide? Normally when I heard the word "Genocide" I thought about the Holocaust. I'd never heard the word Tromlui.

I bit my lip, looking for the "A" shelves, only to realize I was in the fiction section. I laughed at myself then, how could I be so stupid as to look in the fiction section for what was so clearly a reference book?

I moved to the reference section, skimming the titles. I didn't see the book, so I looked again.

I walked back to the shoeboxes, looking for Beth Alaric's name. I took 4 other notecards that had that word in it and were by the same author, moving back over the shelves to look for the books in question. None of the books were to be found.

I furrowed my brow, but immediately dismissed my concerns. More likely than not, somebody was doing a project and just didn't turn the books back in. It didn't look like anybody really cared about the library, so it was likely nobody but me had even noticed the books were missing.

I ended up grabbing a book by Laurie Halse Anderson, writing my name on the proper index card and leaving the library, walking back to where Keigan was in our dorm room.

"Went to the library?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at the book I held.

"Yeah," I replied, sitting back on the bed and cracking it open.

"Okay. I'm gonna go down to dinner in half an hour. Want to come?" she inquired.

"Sure," I said, giving her a reassuring smile before turning back to my book.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 pm
LordZeus says...

Oren Blackburn

I regarded the school as the car I was in came up to it. Well, it's certainly very posh.
I thought as I noticed its luxurious appearance.

"Need any help with your bags?" asked the chauffeur. I politely declined and wheeled my single suitcase into the entrance.

I strode into the front office, where a woman was tapping at a computer. After waiting for a few minutes, I coughed to get her attention.

At that, she looked up, looking annoyed, and said, "Yes?"

I replied, "I'm Oren Blackburn. I'm here to get my room number and class list, please."

The lady sighed as she checked up my name on the computer. "You're very late, you know. Everyone else signed in last week."

"I know."I replied. "But I received the invitation letter late. Maybe some problem with the mail?"

She promptly igored me nd just handed me a packet.

"That contains everything you'll need." she said. "Oh, and after you have dropped off your things in your room, Headmistress Queller will want to see you in her office. Since you missed your orientation, she will be explaining everything to you.

I thanked her and went to my dorm room. After dropping my suitcase on the bed, I headed to the Headmistress's office (which I found by asking directions from a student).

I knocked on the door and went in.

"Ah, you must be Oren." she said with a smile. "Please sit down." and she gestured to the chair on the other side of her desk.

I sat down nervously, not sure what to expect. I wasn't used to having one on one conversations with teachers, although Headmistress Queller didn't seem to be too strict.

"Well," she began. "As I'm sure you know, you are not an average teenage boy. You are...special."

My heart started to beat heavily. Does she know what I can do? I thought. But then I reassured myself. I had hidden power too well to be found out. Ör so I thought.

"Special as in...Intelligence?" I guessed.

The Headmistress chuckled. "I have no doubt that you are intelligent, Oren, given your grades. But that's not why we chose you for this school."

My heart rate increased. "So what then?" I asked.

Headmistress Queller leaned forward, her eyes focused on me. "I think you know, but I'll say it all the same. You have a superpower. As do I and everyone else in this school."

I gulped (feeling rather uncertain then) and replied, "You have a superpower too?"

She nodded and disappeared. I gasped at that, and stood up and looked around. How could tat happen? I thought nervously. Suddenly she reappeared in front of me and I leaped backward in surprise, causing my chair to topple to the ground.

"You have...invisibility." I said faintly, feeling like I was going mad. To be truthful, I had been rather hoping that she would laugh and say that it was all trick. But she didn't.

"Yes." she replied with a nod. "Now, you are not allowed to tell anyone what happens in this school. You signed some paperwork when you came in whih binds you to that rule. Please read the handbook you were given carefully. It will tell you evrything else you need to know. Understood?"

"Yup." I replied.

She smiled again and replied, "Good. Now, ordinarily, I would like to talk you through everything in this school, but you have already missed your first two classes. If you hurry, you might just make it in time for fitness. If you have any qustions, feel free to ask me or any teacher. There is a map of the school outside my office, so please check it to find your way to fitness."

I nodded and walked out of the room. As soon as I did, my mind refused to believe what had just happened. Okay, I thought. That didn't just happen. The Headmistress doesn't have invisibility and I am not in a school of super students.

At that point, I heard a sound above me, and looked up to see a boy around my age crawling on the ceiling.

Seeing me looking at him, he said, " 'Sup" before continuing on his way.

I stared into space for a few more seconds before I finally accepted everything that I had just been told. It was, after all, a lot to take in. Okay, I am in a school of uper students. Then I laughed out loud as I realized how funny that thought sounded.

"You okay?" said the boy who was crawling on the ceiling, looking at me as if I was crazy.

"Yup. Better than I've ever been." I replied with a grin. And I meant it.

At that moment, fo the first time in a long while, I felt free. Free to be who I was, without fear of people's reactions. Well, no point in hiding it now. I thought as, still smiling, I tensed my fists, feeling the air molecules around me.

Then I lifted myself up three feet into the air and shot off towards my first clas at my new shool, which I was starting to think was going to be far better than I had anticipated.

271 Reviews

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:07 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Aaron Van Amsberg

I spent the few days after day 1 sobering up. I experienced cravings and some withdrawal from the prescription drugs I was taking that weren't actually prescribed to me. I'd been taking them for a short time, my other vices were more prolonged. I still felt the awful cold sweats, vomiting, and my limbs were on fire. Like fire fire. Not real fire, but there was a lot of pain.

I woke up Thursday morning craving a cigarette. That was the one thing I couldn't quit.

"Uggghhhh," I moaned, as the alarm clock went off.

I rolled over to look at Stetson who was getting up and ready. He didn't particularly like me, so the look he shot me was of annoyance until he got a good look at me.

"You look like hell, Van Amsberg."

"I feel like hell," I moaned, clutching my head. I could feel everything in detail. I could feel his groggy but refreshed attitude and slight sympathy for me. Part of it was annoyance, but that ebbed as he looked at my face.

"What's wrong?" he asked me.

"Withdrawal," I responded, "From drugs. Alcohol. Everything except cigarettes.

"Whoa. You quit cold turkey? Are you nuts?"

"O'Malley told me to," I sat up, pulling jeans over my boxers.

"And you just decided because O'Malley told you that you were going to quit. Something tells me you've never followed instructions in your life."

I felt a little anger bubble up inside me, but I fought to contain it. "It's none of your business," I muttered. I saw his fists clench, which ordinarily wouldn't have happened. The argument wasn't that big of a deal. But I knew I was projecting my anger, he was feeling what I was.

"What is this?" he asked. "I wasn't angry a minute ago."

"It's me," I said, "I can manipulate emotions and feel the emotions of anyone else in a room. That's why I blacked out when I first showed up, and that's why I drink. Drank." I corrected.

He exhaled, running his hands through his hair before he tossed me a pair of khakis from the closet. "Seriously dude, didn't you read the dresscode?"

I dressed but decided not to eat breakfast, I didn't think I could hold anything down. I walked to the nurse's office in the administrative building. I also knew I couldn't deal with everybody's... feelings.

The nurse looked fairly calm when I stepped in, she was working on her computer. She was very short, with mousy brown hair and glasses that took up most of her face. She was dressed in slacks and a plain white button up blouse. She looked more like a nerdy college student, but she must have been in her early thirties at least.

"Can I he-oh." She had turned in her chair and got a good look at my face. I'd seen it before I left the room. I was pasty, almost greenish, with dark circles underneath my eyes. My blue eyes were bloodshot and rimmed with red and my otherwise shiny, amazing hair, hung limply on my forehead.

"Have a seat," she said. She placed her hand on my arm, shutting her eyes.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Feeling your symptoms. Feels like withdrawal." guess there was no faking with her.

"Well, not anymore. I'm just about finished with it, I think." I told her, my bones still aching.

"I agree with you. But I don't think you're telling me the whole story." she pursed her lips, writing on a clipboard.

"It's my power," I felt ashamed to admit how weak I was, "I can experience and manipulate... feelings. That's why I blacked out on the first day. I couldn't handle it." her eyes lit up with recognition, she remembered me.

"So you used substances to control it." she said, not as a question but a statement.

I nodded.

"Here's what I'm going to do for you," she said, "I think it would be wise to try putting you on antidepressants. I don't condone taking drugs before trying to fix problems, but I think it may work as a set of training wheels until you figure out how to control your ability."

I nodded, but I was uneasy. Was she telling me I was crazy?

Spoiler! :
@Savvy

271 Reviews

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:49 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Jay

I was in fitness Friday afternoon, trying not to stare at Lilah as we ran around the gym when Matt spoke up. It was me, Kaito, and Stetson running with Matt in a group, seeing who could run the fastest. But we ended up just running together, laughing and joking.

"Hey so, I managed to get a key to the pool," Matt spoke up, looking over at us.

"Awesome," I said, "But what are you gonna do with it?"

"Well," Matt said, "I was thinking about throwing a party tonight. The pool's in the basement of the rec center so admins wouldn't hear us or anything."

"Are you serious?" Kaito spoke up, surprised.

"Yeah. I mean we could always get some snack food from the student shop, but I don't know where we'd get booze," Matt replied.

"I think I have a pretty good idea of who we can get it from, I'll take care of that. Not sure if I'll go, though," Stetson answered, grinning.

"I'm in. Even if the party gets busted I won't get in any trouble," I said, vanishing for a split second to punctuate my point.

"Sounds good. Pass the word around then? Tonight after lights out, maybe at midnight or so?" Matt asked.

"Sounds good," and then we continued running, not wanting to waste our energy on talking.

-

After we all changed and showered into our regular clothes, Lilah and I walked to band.

"So what were you guys whispering about in the gym? You sounded pretty excited," she asked.

I stuck my hands in the pockets of my khakis. "Matt got a key to the pool and he wants to throw a party tonight. You know, since it's the first week of school and all. So we're gonna spread the word, it's tonight at midnight."

"How do you expect to get that by the dorm adviser?" she asked.

"We're probably going to have Maddy compel both of them so they don't see anything," I replied smoothly. Nobody knew Maddy (cough cough, NPC) but we figured she could do it.

"And cameras?" Lilah asked.

"They can't see me. They won't be able to see anything if I cover them. Besides, there aren't any cameras in the dorms or the rec center. Only educational buildings. Didn't you look?"

"Okay, I'm in. Unless I see something that tells me it's not a good idea," she paused for a moment, her eyes glazing over.

"It'll be fine," she added, snapping out of the trance. If Lilah said things would be okay, I believed her.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:50 am
View Likes
mcleo1 says...

Briony Carter
Well, the first day didn't go as smooth as I had expected it to. But hey, Murphy's law: whatever could go wrong, would go wrong. The next few days went The rest of the week was pretty average after that. Classes went by slowly, so slowly, and the first week was well full of a lot stuff. Some schools have it here the first week is slow and you get eased in, some have it where it's thrown at you all at once. It's definitely thrown at you all at once.
Well Cora didn't have one of her little scenes like she did on the first day. She seemed to be calmed actually. It was strange, she seemed to always look forward to Power Development classes. She didn't tell me much about them, but she always seemed calmer after them, more relaxed. Almost as if she was under some kind of influence.
I couldn't really complain though. I was loving my development classes. We were just testing our limits and trying to see how far we could push each other. I wasn't sure how this class would be later on, but this seemed to be only the beginning.
O'Malley telling us to test ourselves, see what are limit is. And then telling us that we can do much more than that. My other classes besides that were not much interest. Art was strangely going to be the hardest one to keep up with. I like to think myself a creative person, but let's just say you can't expect someone to have artistic talent in less then a week.
Chemistry and History won't be that bad, and Fitness; I can handle that, but it would still be an uphill battle. Well, besides classes, there was also a Party tonight apparently.
It was apparently being held in the basement of the Rec Center. One of the guys, Matt I think, had somehow gotten a hold of one of the keys and had decided to throw a big beginning of school bash. It sounded, well it sounded like it would be a bit risky, but it'd be nice to throw myself out there.
I wasn't sure if this was Cora's thing, a party surrounded by a bunch of people, I assumed she might've freaked. So I decided to just go. Jay apparently was the one helping people get into the Rec Center. I wasn't sure how long his power would hold out, taking multiple people back and forth, but it was a good idea at least.
I soon made it into the party, and I had to say, it was pretty crazy just at the start of it. People were certainly making good use of the pool. A few kids swimming casually, some guys throwing in some poor girl. (It was quite mean, but jokes on them when she hit them with a mini tsunami).
I saw Trixie and Kaito, and of course Wren on her shoulder, surveying the lot. I waved at them and smiled, but didn't go over to them. I just looked over the party-goers. I wasn't much of a parties, that was more of my sister's style. It was fun to watch, but I never quite got the jist of the momentum.
I never drank, I never really danced for fear of what others would think of me. I didn't really have anyone to go with, and loud noises were very annoying. I leaned against the wall, still watching people. I saw Oren doing the same, he seemed like he wasn't really into this as well, but like me, had decided to stay.
Some people did some party tricks actually, a girl levitating over the pool, someone icing over part of the pool. It was pretty amusing actually. like some kind of TV show with shenanigans.
After awhile though, I decided to I needed some air, or maybe I just wanted to go to bed and leave the hecticness behind me. I finally made it out, far enough to where the blaring music was only a distant sound. I was relieved actually, away from it all.
I started to walk aimlessly around campus when someone ran into me. We both fell backwards, I heard a drunken groan and looked to the fallen form of some guy. As I got up, I helped him up as well. He didn't seem to have much sense in his intoxicated state.
"Are you alright?" He looked up at me and I realized who he was, Matt.
"Ugh, my head... S-sorry about that. I wasn't watching... where I was going." He said apologetically while stumbling over his words and speaking choppily.
"No, no.. It's fine.. Do you need some help?"
He waved his hands in disapproval, "No, no.. I uh, I'm fine." He said as he tried to take another step but tripped. I couldn't bear to watch this. I also couldn't leave him like this here, it'd be disastrous. Especially if one of the guards or a staff personnel found him.
"Here, take my hand." I grabbed his arm, putting it over my shoulder to help steady him. We started to walk towards the guys dorm. As we got closer, Matt seemed to be getting heavier, but it was more like I was dragging him because he wasn't actually walking. I sighed, splitting into two people again.
The other me went to his other side to help hold him up. In his slurred speech, I made out the words, "There.. two of... red heads..." I ignored it though as we finally made it inside. (Thank god it was open, I don't want to know why or how though).
"What's your room number Matt?"
"Um.. 4..45" I nodded, continuing down the hallway towards his room. I nudged him once we got to his room to open his door, but he wouldn't budge. He just kept mumbling about Space Unicorns or something.
Other me reached into his pocket though, grabbing the key and then unlocking the door. We half carried half dragged him into the room and laid him gently on one of the beds. I wasn't sure if it was his, but it didn't really matter at this point.
I sighed in relief when I became one again, it always felt better. I turned towards Matt who was sitting up now, he had gained a bit of consciousness. "I.. I'm sorry. I'm not usually one fo-for drinking.."
"It's fine Matt." He shook his head though, putting his head in his hands.
"N-no it's not.." I heard him muffling something in his hands, and soon I realized that he was crying.
"Matt? Matt are you alright?" He didn't answer me though and just kept sobbing. I wasn't sure why he was crying, but I couldn't leave him like this. I sat down next to him a bit awkwardly. "Matt.. It's going to be alright okay..? Look at me." I put my hand on his shoulder. He looked up at me, his eyes red from tears and bulging from the alcohol. It was going to be a long night.
Spoiler! :
@NicoleBri I hope you like it.
Swimming in murky water is one of the more interesting things in life. :mrgreen:

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:25 am
View Likes
MariaRowlands says...

Lucifer Shi Gohan

"You all packed kiddo?" Grandpa called from outside the hotel room

"Yeah Gramps. Just give me five to-" a burning smell filled the air as Lucifer accidentally caught on fire again. Something about leaving England just did that to him. He sighed and grabbed his flame proof bag and left the room.

"Honestly boy. You're worse than lightening on a dry crop! Here." He handed him one of those fire blankets off the wall and Lucifer wrapped it around himself, suffocating the flames again.

They walked out and were greeted by family. Everyone hugged and said goodbye for another year before catching a cab to the airport and having a mad dash to the plane. As usual there was a special seat for Lucifer in case he flamed out in my sleep. Thankfully that only happened once and it was at home in his flame proof room. After takeoff, Lucifer read for a half an hour before calling it quits and sleeping until touchdown in New York and was unable to sleep the whole car trip home with his Grandma's driving.

---------------------------

"Hey Gran! What's this letter here for? Can I burn it?" Lucifer called when he walked into his room.

"You burn that letter and you will have no hope of learning to control those powers of yours! It's from Oceanside Academy! They can teach you to control your Pheonix! We don't need another crop burnt to a crisp because you've lost control again. So you are going to that school. The term started at the beginning of the week! Don't unpack! Pack more things for the rest of the year." And with that, Lucifer slammed his door shut.

---------------------------

Driving up to the school, it looked different to the others and sent a chill up Lucifer"s spine. His Gran kept talking about how wonderful it would be for him and how much fun he"d have but Lucifer just couldn't get in it. He felt so much fear that he was surprised he hadn't caught fire again. The car stopped and he got out after saying goodbye to Gran and Gramps, who had bee silent the entire time oddly enough. Gramos got out and helped Lucifer get his stuff out of the back of the old Holden ute, constantly muttering how he was sorry that he had to go to the school here instead of at home and all that before giving him one last hug and getting in he car before Gran drove off home.

Home. This is home now. I don't have a home to go to in Mississipi anymore. Lucifer walked forlornly to the office and got a map to his room. He put his stuff away and looked around the school. It started to get late when he heard two voices. One very familiar and the other he didn't know at all.

"Come on Kaito! Tell me what he said! It can't be that bad. Wren has been twittering so excitedly all day! Please tell me." It was the girl speaking.

Trixx? He followed the voices into a building and down some stairs. He started to hear music. A party? Cool. He continued to follow them until they reached the pool. There was too many people in the room for his liking so he retraced his steps until he got back to his room. He walked in and went to bed, falling asleep almost instantly.

Not long after he was woken by two people coming into his room. One must have been his room mate, Matthew, and the other was a girl. He quickly rolled off the bed onto the floor to hide on the opposite side. Looks like he wasn't going to get any sleep tonight.

Spoiler! :
@mcleo1 @NicoleBri @soundofmind Hope I did good guys!
May The Blood of my Enemies Flow Like Rivers to the Sea

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:34 pm
LordZeus says...

Oren Blackburn

I smiled as I got into the pool room, wearing a pair of swimming trunks and a black t shirt. I surveyed the room warily, noting the music, kids chatting in small groups, and a bunch more swimming and laughing in the pool.

I breathed slowly. Parties were not my comfort zone. When I got together with my friends, it was usually for night of video games with KFC home delivery for dinner. Not this. But my roommate, Chris would probably be here, and I hadn't met him yet. Also, everyone in the school was probably here, so It was a chance to meet everyone and get acquainted with people, though I doubted I would actually do that, being as shy as I was.

So, instead, I just picked up a can of coke from an ice box that someone had brought, and stood by the side of the party near the wall and just observed everyone else. Across from me, I noticed Briony doing the same thing.

After a while, I decided to move near the pool. As I was walking towards it, i slipped on an unnoticed wet spot on the floor, and gave a cry of surprise as the floor hurtled towards me. However, just before I hit the ground, I stopped, and found myself frozen in place, my face inches from the floor, and slowly, without me doing anything, my body moved, against my will to an upright position.

After that confusing event, I looked around to see which person I had to thank for that.

"That was me." said a girl in a wheelchair with a smile.

I smiled thankfully back. "Thanks." I said. "I see you have telekinesis."

She nodded, confirming. "Yup. What's your power?"

"I can fly." I replied with a grin.

"Wow, that's cool!" she said. "The name's Keigan Halter. You?"

"Oren Blackburn." I replied.

"Nice to meet you Oren." said Keigan. "And wow! Flying, huh? Could you give me a little demonstration? I showed you mine, after all."

I blushed as I replied, "Umm...sorry, not here. It'll attract too much attention."

She looked at me curiously before saying, Well...okay. Now, if you'll excuse me, my friend Bela has gone to get a drink, and i think I'll join her. See you later, Oren."

"Bye." I muttered as her wheelchair drove past me. Well, congratulations. I told myself. You managed to talk to someone new at a party! That's something you've never done before.

As I started to feel better about myself, another thought came from my unhappy side. It's something you should've done a long time ago, though. I thought. However, i managed to shake it off as I came to the pool.

I stood by the pool for a while, watching people swim along, and was wondering whether I should jump in when someone from right behind, shouted, "HURRY! SAVE HER!" from right near my ear.

That shocked me and made my powers accidentally activate, causing me to shoot up ten feet into the air, earning me more than a few stares from a number of fellow students. As I came down, I blushed with embarrassment. I wasn't used to that much attention.

While I was still lowering myself, a bunch of boys threw a struggling girl into the pool, splashing them and the spot where i had been standing. She started splashing about furiously.

When i had got back on the ground, i turned to the person who had shouted at me, who happened to be a beautiful blonde girl (her looks were the first thing I noticed).

"What was that abou-?" I started to ask her when I heard one of the boys who had thrown the girl say, "Hey, what's happening?" and I turned to see that the girl who had been thrown in, who had managed to splash herself to the middle of the pool, seemed to be struggling.

Suddenly, her head disappeared below water. "She's drowning!" someone cried out, and instantly, my lifeguard instincts kicked in, and I ripped off my shirt and dove into the water. I then began swimming furiously towards her.

Being a great swimmer, i had once taken a part time job as a lifeguard at a children's pool, so I knew how to handle situations like the one i was being faced with. I swam to where the girl was, and started to bring her back to the pool's edge, keeping her head above water.

Reaching the edge, I pulled her onto the side and sat next to her. I realized that she wasn't breathing, and her eyes were closed, and my heart raced as I tried to remember what to do. In a flash it came back to me, and held her upright with my left hand, resting her head on my shoulder, and then I pressed chest hard with my right hand to try to get her to breath again.

Thankfully, that worked, as it caused her eyes to flutter open, and she coughed up water before finally breathing again (to my relief).

"You saved me." she murmured. "Who are you?"

"I'm Oren Blackburn." I replied, still supporting her back with my arm, trying to keep her upright as she swayed. "What's your name?"

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson