z

Young Writers Society

With Regards, Repoor

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:07 am
jumpingsheep says...

Welcome to Eramtin. The year is 2080.

You live in a world where a powerful group of leaders known as the Council of Five rule your city with iron fists and stone hearts.

Books, music, and other forms of art have been banned, unless they’re riddled with Eramtin propaganda.

Ninety-nine percent of the population lives day to day, struggling to keep their jobs in the decrepit factories. Children hardly go to school, and only a lucky, smart few are able to enroll in the Academy, where the next generation of the Eramtin police force is trained. Citizens lives in fear of the Eramtin police force. For unknown reasons, the Eramtin police force seems to know about any acts of resistance before the rebellion even fully develops.

Life look bleak, but there is hope.

You have received a mysterious message under your door, inviting you to meet at Jay’s Tavern by sundown. The message is simply signed “With regards, Repoor.

So, who are you? A struggling factory worker who found this note under their front door? A child enrolled at the Academy, who found the note on their dorm room floor? A teen who found the note before his patriotic parents did?

I will be playing the part of Repoor, but you may write any other character. You can even be a member of the Council of Five!

Stay active.
Stay alive.
Join the Resistance.

Spoiler! :
Players:
Council of Five:
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Other players:
@jumpingsheep

Character Profile Template:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Hobbies:[/b]
[b]Family and Friends:[/b]
[b]Other details:[/b]
hello there

53 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:22 am
View Likes
jumpingsheep says...

Repoor

Repoor offered a faint smile towards the stack on envelopes before them. All completed, all addressed, the letters were ready to be sent.

Repoor had picked their targets carefully. Repoor had been watching for so, very, very long, waiting for the right people.

The first boy, Ruis, Repoor had seen using an illegal transmission recording device. He could be useful.

The second, another boy, Adam, was quick thinker. Repoor remembered watching from a nearby tavern the scene that transpired the day Adam had been caught by the police. Smart kid, took risks. Repoor liked him enough, even if he was now at the Academy.

The letter to one of the girls, Kriss, had been different. Her father was a revolutionary, one that Repoor had known very well. Kriss had a motivation to join the Revolution. Her letter was harder to send, being that she worked in the factory, where her mail was routed through, and so Repoor had disguised the letter as a condolence letter.

And finally, the last went to Leonas, another Academy student. Normally, Repoor wouldn’t have even considered a kid like Leonas. He was an Elite, first of all. However, Repoor could sense that the boy was harboring secrets. Leonas snuck out at night, quite often in fact. Leonas was worth a shot.

And so, with the letters ready to go, Repoor delivered them one by one. They would be discovered by that morning, and the group would receive their first task, if they chose to accept the invitation, by that night.

Though each letter was tailored to its receiver, they all ended the same, with the same signature that Repoor used on every correspondence. Using their adopted name, Repoor had carefully signed

With Regards,
Repoor.
hello there

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:10 pm
View Likes
EscaSkye says...

Leonas Chase

"...meet me at Jay's Tavern by sundown. We need you, Chase.

With Regards,
Repoor."

By sundown, huh? It's going to be hard to leave before then.

"So?" Samantha broke Leonas's train of thought as she slipped into the bench before him. His eyebrows furrowed.

"What do you mean by 'so'?"

"Are you going to the Tavern?" she inquired, bringing a spoonful of rice to her mouth. "It sounds sketchy, Leon. What if someone from the admin found out about your nightly escapes and are luring you? That's instant discipline and we both know what happened to Fort. The guy's been scared of being a delinquent since."

Leonas snickered, cutting the pork chop on his tray. "Then you'll just have to nurse me back to health and kick my ass if I get scared, because I recall promising to take you with me on one of my runs."

Sam choked on water. "Not so loud! Mike'll kill me if he finds out."

Of course, Leonas rolled his eyes, Mike the disciplinarian strikes again. I wonder how they were like as children, Sam being more of a free spirit than her cousin and all.

"Yes, ma'am," he smiled. His friend looked more irritated than amused.

"Anyway," she said, "you found it under your door this early morning when you came back, right?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "it does make me wonder how it got to the dorms, especially with the guards patrolling around."

Sam sighed. "Let's just hope they're someone as good as you in finding routes, otherwise, I'm going to end up a medic for a while."

"I don't mind," Leonas winked. "I get the lovely Samantha Warren all to myself. I'm sure most of the Academy men would pray I get healed quickly by then."

"Keep that up and I might just be in bed with you, pretty boy," she waggled her eyebrows. "Recuperating, that is."

The two friends laughed, bickering and joking with one another until the end of their lunch break. As they were about to leave through the metal double doors, Sam placed a hand on Leonas's arm, grasping it tight.

"Hey, Leon?"

Leonas looked at Sam, noting the serious expression on her face. He knew where she was going with that uneasy smile.

"Kidding aside, be careful. You don't know who this Repoor guy is. Come back safe, okay?"

He smiled. Sam's always like this, worrying herself.

"I promise," he said; with that, he ruffled her hair and walked her to class.

I promise.
Not anymore.

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:37 pm
View Likes
ThePhoenix says...

Adam Mava

Adam tightened the rope and tied it around his bedpost. He carefully placed the pie on the mini catapult. He wanted to test it, but there wasn't any time. Adrastus would be opening that door any second now, and hopefully get a faceful of the pie.

"I'm hungry..." Adam wanted to leave so he could get something to eat, but that would set off the trap. "I really need to make a secret exit..."

He wondered if he could climb out of the window in broad daylight. It would be difficult, but not impossible. His thoughts were interrupted by the opening of the door and the pie whizzing through the air, smacking into Adrastus' face.

Adrastus wiped the pie filling off his face. "Adam, for once, just be normal."

Adam pretended to look disappointed. "Aw, you didn't even taste the pie."

Adrastus simply rolled his eyes and tasted a bit that was on his hair. To his surprise, the pie was delicious. "Wow, blueberry. Where'd you get it?"

"Made it," Adam replied.

Adrastus was skeptical. "You know how to make pies?"

Adam clarified. "Avery made it."

"Ah, that makes sense." He went to grab a towel from his room. "But seriously, can't you just be normal?"

Adam was confused. "Pranking my roommate isn't normal?"

"Uh, well. It is, but... you know. Can't you do normal guy stuff? Play sports, uh, talk about... girls? Adrastus said the last bit hesitantly, not sure if he actually wanted to include it.

Adam looked at him like he was crazy, which was ironic since Adam defined himself as crazy many times. "Why would you want to talk about girls...?"

Adrastus had a little bit of trouble forming an explanation. "Heh, well you know. Maybe you like one of them... and hormones and... stuff."

"Well, do you like any of the girls?" Adam asked.

Adrastus stuttered. "Uh, well no."

"Well, neither do I. So we have no reason to talk about girls. Unless Avery's around and even then we probably won't." Adam started spinning around in his chair, kicking against the table for momentum. "Besides, I tried being normal once."

"Oh, how'd that work out for you?"

"Worst five minutes of my life," Adam stated matter-of-factly.

"Ah, ok," Adrastus grabbed a change of clothes. "Well, I'm going to take a shower. See you later."

"Yeah, bye." Adam stopped spinning and stood up but fell right back onto the chair from the dizziness. He almost threw up his lunch on the floor but managed to keep it in as he didn't feel like cleaning up any mess. He somehow was able to drag himself to his bed and fall asleep.

6:00 AM The next day

Avery swiped her card across the scanner. A green light flashed and a beep came from the scanner. Her muscles tensed. Students weren't allowed to enter other people's rooms, especially of the opposite gender. She wasn't even supposed to have a card that could enter another student's room, but Adam had given her one that he secretly made from the 3D printer the school owned.

She wasn't sure how he did it, but she was glad he did since she had something important to tell him. Well, both Adrastus and Adam. But it was really important and couldn't wait.
Actually, it could, but she didn't want to. She was impatient that way.

The door slid open and she ran inside, but she just saw a white envelope on the floor and managed not to step on it.
She bent down and picked it up.

Envelope? Who uses envelopes anymore? She thought to herself.

She was curious, though. On the front, it said "To Adam Mava". They had studied old methods of communication before and Avery distinctly remembered that envelopes had return addresses. She flipped it over and back again, finding no such information.

Interesting. Her curiosity was really high right now. She was struggling not to open it. She wasn't sure if Adam would mind or not.

Avery couldn't hold back her curiosity, she just had to know what was inside and she definitely wasn't going to wait for Adam to wake up, nor was she going to wake him up. She figured he'd take a while to actually "wake up".

She flipped the envelope over and tore off its seal. She pulled out a rather clean piece of paper, although there were little bits of dust scattered across it.

Hello Adam Mava,
No doubt you're wondering what this letter is about. I would be too. And as to why I'm using such an old form of communication, well, it's more discreet. And that's exactly what I needed in order to be able to get this letter to you.
The fact I was able to get this to you should be compelling evidence that I know what I'm talking about. But let's actually get to what I wrote this letter to you for.

You are useful, I've seen you before you were enrolled into the Academy. Outsmarting those police, thinking your way out of situations. Not to mention having to guts to prank the police.
Now, this may come off as creepy, but I assure you. I have no intention of scaring you, although I don't think I can.

But basically, I want to recruit you for my rebellion against the Council of Five.
Yes, I know. Crazy. The police force will find out before we can even start. But that's a chance we'll have to take.

If you are interested:
Meet me at Jay's Tavern. More information will be provided there.

With regards,
Repoor.

Avery read the letter over and over again.

It can't be real. It's probably a trick. Someone's probably playing a prank.

But the fact this "Repoor" person was able to get the letter here was indeed compelling evidence as the school did not have envelopes. All information was either online, transferred by email or messaging apps.
She had to show this to Adam.

She ran to Adam's and Adrastus' room, waking them both up.

"Huh, what?" Adam said groggily. "Avery? What're you doing here?"

Adrastus didn't say anything and simply fell back asleep, with Adam doing the same.

Avery groaned. She found a cup and poured a cup of water from the bathroom. She ran back and poured the water on Adam.

He sat up and shook the water off, slightly annoyed at Avery. "Hey! It's only..." He looked at the digital clock that was perched on the wall. "6:07. Why'd you wake me up?"

"Read," Avery demanded, shoving the letter in front of his face.
Everyone Will Fall.
The Key Is to fall with style.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Kriss Vaughn

The factory buzzes with noise. People scramble around like bees in a hive working to please the queen. Everyone knows what they must do, and they do whatever they can to get their next paycheck.
I check my fathers watch on my wrist for the time.

"7:30." I sigh. "Only 30 minutes till payday."

"If only it was 30 minutes to retirement." I turn to look at my friend Spencer. Like me she has dirt and sweat all over her face, and her messy blonde hair is pulled into a loose pony tail.

"There isn't retirement for people like us Spence." I say looking back down to my work.

"Save it Kriss. You and I both know that if you just went back to the academy they would take you. You were one of their top female elites. How could they not take you back?"

"And leave Sammie to fend for himself? I don't think so. I wouldn't have been able to provide for him till I got a position anyways. It's been a year, and I've managed just fine. They wouldn't take me back even if I tried." I say.

"Your mother though."

"My mother can't do anything. All her money goes torwards her habit. Not us. I love her, but I can't leave him with her."

"I know. It's just I don't want to see you end up like me. Going into your 30's as an unsuccessful factory maid." She says.

"I won't. I don't intend for this to be my life forever." I explain.

"Good. You want to go get a drink at the tavern after this?" She asks.

"Can't. Tonight's Sammie's birthday and I always get him one of those tarts from Talias bakery. I always save up enough money for him every year."

"Well, alright. Tell him I said Happy Birthday."

"I will." I smile.
We both go back to our work until the clock strikes 8. Then the faceless voice comes over the loudspeakers like it always does at 8 o'clock on the dot.

"Another productive day here in Eramtin factories. Today is the 3rd Friday of the month. That means workers with last names T-Z can pick up their paychecks in the office. We appreciate all your hard work. See you again tomorrow for another wonderful day!"

"Bull shit" I think. The pre recorded message must have come from a time when working conditions were safe, and paychecks were higher than dirt. I follow the lines to the offices where everyone is picking up their checks.
The lady with the large glasses hands me mine and I stare at it wide eyed.

"Wha-What?" I ask.

"You're bonus for the year. Now get out of here and keep the line moving." she says emotionless. I slowly walk outside till I reach the dark streets.

"This has to be a mistake." I say as I start heading torwards Talias Bakery. I enter the small business and smile.

"Hey Kriss! I've got Sammys birthday gift all wrapped up and ready to go." Talia says.

"Change of plans Talia. Can I get one of those chocolate cakes?" She turns and grabs one.

"You know these arent cheap right."

"Yeah I do know." I smile as she wraps it up.

"That will be 15 dollars." She says as I hand her the money. On my walk home I have a little more pep in my step than usual. My usual fatigue after the 14 hours at work feels completely lifted off my shoulders. I stand in front of the toy store. My last stop before my house and walk in. I grab one of the small teddy bears on the shelf and take it to the register.

"That will be 7 dollars." I hand the man the money and grab my bag.

"Thank you." I say as I walk out the door. I can't help but run the rest of the way home.
My house isn't much. A little worn down shack like the rest of the street. I've lived here my entire life aside from my two years at the academy. The only way I can tell it apart from the others is the yellow flowers growing outside. They always grow every year, and they always come back every year. It's strange but I love them. At the door is a small envelope.

"Condolences seal." I say as I slip into my back pocket. I step through the door to see Sammy sitting on the floor watching the old monitor. Mom sits in a chair knitting a scarf. The news talks about the new patriot group. Sammie turns to see me and his face lights up.

"Krissy!!" He runs over to me and hugs me tightly.

"Happy Birthday kid." I smile as I hand him his gifts.

"Whoa! How?" He asks.

"Don't worry about it. Anything for my favorite little brother. You only turn 10 once."
He laughs and gives me a big hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Now. Let's dig into that cake!" I stand to see my mom looking at me disappointed. I already know what she'll say.

"We could have paid our rent with that money." Or "We could have paid our bills."
I don't care though. All that mattered today was Sammie. I've never gotten a birthday gift, but I always made sure Sammie got somthing on his birthday. Expecially today.
We spent the rest of that night eating the cake and smiling. It was most I've seen him
smile in years. It was worth it.
After the news finished I took him to his room.

"Best birthday ever!" He said jumping on his bed.

"Calm down." I laugh. "Anyways, you deserve it kid. Love you. Now time to go to bed." I kiss him on the forehead and tuck him in.

"Night kid." I stand in the doorway.

"Night Krissy. I love you." He says as he cuddles his new teddy bear.

"Love you too..." I say.

I walk back into the living room, and clean up the cake mess. After I finish I walk into my small room and pull out the letter from the door way.

"Kriss Vaughn,

Condolences to your fathers death this past year. I must unfortunately let you know the truth of your fathers death. It was no accident. I must keep this message short, but I must let you know that we need you. Come to Jay's Tavern by sundown tomorrow night to learn the truth. This could mean a better life for your brother. We highly suggest you accept our offer.

With Regards,
Repoor"

"What is this? It...it wasn't an accident. This is crazy. No just...no"
I reread the letter over and over praying that the words would somehow change.

"With Regards, Repoor..."

I have I know the truth. I have too.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:37 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

"Agh. You smell that Matthias? I smell fresh recruits, ready to strike back at the Council." Sergeant Davis grins as we enter the warehouse. It was at the edge of the city, a good spot to hide illegal activity, but it very secure. I stared at the recruits and sighed. Boys and girls. Mothers and fathers. All here because our recruiter, Repoor, was sending us ones he knew were patriotic. Repoor had promised us a fresh batch, good ones, but I was worried. I studied the group as I heard the whispers.

"It's him." "It's the Hunter." "Over a hundred police kills I hear." "Most wanted."

I ignore the whispers and turn to Davis. " My guess is that none of these people have training of any sort. We're not turning them into fight patriots. We're turning them into victims. We get caught, the Police suspect something, these people are screwed. We can't hide them at Headquarters. Too high risk for them to go missing." Turning to the gathering of would-be resistance fighters, I do a quick survey, than send basically all but 5 home. They go away with glares and grumbles. With the remaining 5, 3 men and 2 women, I have Davis do their opening exercises. Mal nourished, weak, but strong of heart. I turned to him as we watched them do a lap.

" These people don't need training and fighting skills Matthias." Davis commented." They need food and rest. And lots of it." I nodded." Which we can't provide. At least not for long." He nods than jumps when his radio goes off." You've gotta get out of there! Police squad, closing." I nod at Davis." Get them to HQ, and I'll hold off the Police long enough to give you a good head start." Nodding he gathers the small group and leads them out. Calmly loading my pistol, I await the smoke that would hail the beginning of a Police raid... I had led a few of my own. Top student 5 years ago, and if I knew correctly, a couple of my records still remained. Shrugging back my nostalgic mentality I whispered my mantra." I am become Death, I am the destroyer of worlds." I kissed my mothers bracelet and went to work.

A little bit later

With a duffel bag filled with Police equipment and gear, I left the smoking building, listening to the approaching sirens. I knew my work. And I knew what I was capable of. Didn't mean I enjoyed it... But perhaps a perverse part of me did. I shook my head, clearing it as I paused in front of a TV station, and watched the breaking news report.

"It seems a resistance cell was crushed today. The Police haven't confirmed wether or not there were any casualties, either resistance or Police, but the criminal known as The Hunter, is still at large. Citizens, this man is a highly trained terrorist who's only goal is to tear down our peaceful and thriving city. If you have any sighting of the man known as The Hunter, or anyone claiming to be him, please contact your nearest Police station immediately."

I turned around to watch the small group gathering around the station." Three cheers for him I say!" Some shouted. There were a few muted cheers. Someone hissed." Quiet Malcolm. Want the police breaking down all our doors!" The man known as Malcolm retorted quickly." I'd rather go to my death proudly Henry, if I had a gun in my hand, fighting side by side with The Hunter than letting the Police and Council rule me like a slave." There were some angry remarks as I quickly walked away. These people needed heroes. Not just a hero. I hope you know who your recruiting Repoor, I thought as I headed for the Headquarters of the Resistance.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

53 Reviews

Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:17 am
View Likes
jumpingsheep says...

Ruis
It’s five in the morning, but I could already here the factory humming to life. Voices echo off the stone walls as workers signed in for the day.
I rub my eyes and put on my tool belt, preparing for another fifteen-hour day. Another long day in a series of long weeks, long months, and long years. The work was never ending, each day blurring until I realized how much time had passed and how little had changed.
My coworkers join me in the mechanic’s room, all of us silent as we prepare for the long day ahead. As our team leader, Gavon, who is clearly hungover, runs through the shift schedule for the day, I pop open my locker.
I’m startled when I see the faded white envelope sitting at the bottom of the locker. What the heck?
The postage system had been dissolved years before, so whoever sent this must have hand delivered it. My stomach drops as I realize the implications of this. Whatever is in this letter is important, and secret. Two things that are never a good combination.
My fingers itch, but I wait until I leave the mechanic room to open it. Hidden between two large tanks in the boiler room, I slit the envelope open and begin to read.
Dear Rius,
No doubt you’re a little confused right now. Maybe even scared. I can’t tell you much, but I know there’s fire in you yet.
Come to Jay’s Tavern by sundown to receive your instructions.
With regards,
Repoor.

I turn the letter over. No more instructions or information.
God, this was all so weird. This person obviously seemed to know something about me. And the line about the “fire in you yet”.
Is this… a rebellion?
I stuff the letter back into the envelope, my heart beginning to race. This couldn’t be a resistance front, right? My father was executed for committing an act of insurgency. I jump up, slipping the letter back into my vest, and trying to think clearly. Why me?
Okay. I didn’t have to meet up. I could shred this letter and never consider it again.
But you wouldn’t do that.
As much as I was afraid of what this letter could bring, it wasn’t in my being to refuse Repoor’s offer.
I would go.
Come whatever this would bring.
hello there

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:54 am
Steggy says...

Marcus Killien

Walking around the bedroom, Marc placed a heavy hand on forehead; it had been two weeks since he had last heard from his sisters and family. The only thing he remembered from them was the note Ocka had sent before Lisa and her left, leaving his family in the corners of a poverty, and noticed a little note inscribed on the bottom stating clearly his mother and father were dead. He was still in the Academy with only seven more years to continue on and during the next break, he was planning on going to his family surprising them with a trip to the upper place- but he had no one left except some friends that didn't have any classes with him.
Marc stopped to look outside, the city lights of Eramtin shone brightly down below of the Academy building with people walking around; mainly the people of Eramtin are poor, weak, or even died of natural causes (which was to blame about the pollution). Marcus sighed, stepping back from the window and walked to his desk. On the desk were papers and books, foreign to most of people of Eramtin and only the students at the Academy could only have the books if they paid a certain amount for whatever they are study; Marc was lucky for only studying the beginner's classes and got the books half off.

The door next to him open and walked in was his friend Handrex. With puffy cheeks and a stout nose, Handrex was a loud spoken person with an anger issue and it wasn't always his fault for his pitchy fit. His parents were the judgemental type pointing out Handex's flaws and comparing him to other students of the Academy. In some comparison, Handrex and Marc would perfect together and nothing could separate them.

"Hey Marcus," Handrex greeted, closing the door. Marc nodded studying for an upcoming test they had in the next daylight. Handrex sighed walking towards Marc setting down a pearl letter next to him, on top of a pile of papers. Marcus looked to the side of him and looked glanced up to Handrex.

"What is this?" Marc asked concerd. It could be one of two things; either a letter of sincerity, meaning he was kicked out of the Academy or a letter from one of his teacher's telling him that he has to remake the class up again.

"It was outside the door when I came in," Handrex stated before walking into the kitchen. Marc took the letter in his hands feeling around for anything sharp or dimensional but found nothing, but instead of what felt like paper. In the next minute, he ripped open the letter and read it. It read:

Dear Marc,
By now you are probably confused as of what has happened right now. Maybe a little scared. I can't tell you much, but for what I know, you have a fire in your heart. Come down to Jay's Tavern by sundown to receive more instructions.

With Regards,
Repoor.

Who was Repoor? Was he a lost uncle Marc never knew he had or maybe a code name for his father or even his sisters?

"Hey Handrex, I have to go somewhere." Marc said getting up from his chair.

"Cool. Do you want me to-" and Marc left the dorm room without even hearing what Handrex had to say.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:26 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Kriss Vaughn

My impatience grows as the day goes on. I called into the factory today stating I had a stomach bug. Sundown is still many hours from now, but I still wait across the street watching as the regular customers come in and come out. Nothing unusual. So why Jays? Why such an obvious place?

It's a trap.

Soldiers sniffing out patriots. So they can pluck them out one by one. I am not naive, but at the same time if there is any info about my father I need to know. If I never find closure I may go mad.

It was no accident.

The letter keep flashing through my mind as I stare at Jays.

Do I dare take this chance?

Do I dare put my life and my brothers life in danger?

I...can't.

But I have too...

"Agent Vaughn?" I turn to see a face I haven't seen in a long time.

"Miss Vaughn now. I lost my title when I left." I say emotionless.

"Oh I apologize. Miss Vaughn. I forgot. It's been a while." He looks embarrassed.

"It has. Two years. It's good to see you again Agent Killien." I say.

Marcus Killien.

Narcissistic rich boy.

Always tried to one up me in courses we had together.

Childish.

"You as well." He says.

"So...What brings you into the city today?" He rips his gaze from across the street to me.

"A simple patrol mission. Nothing to spectacular."

"I see." I say.

That's strange. His status at the academy surely would have earned him a higher position than city patrols.
Unless he failed in the past two years.
Unlikely.

"Well it was good to see you again." He says.

"Yeah..."

I watched as he walked off uneasiness in his stride.

Strange.

I knew him, but not well. As one of the few top students at the academy we were in most classes together. We fought against eachother a lot. It wasn't until I got the news about my dad that he actually had a conversation with me.
It was mainly him yelling at me. Telling me that I should stay in the academy. That I was a fool thinking my life would be okay if I left. It was almost like he actually cared. Only now do I realize he probably just liked the competition, and didn't want to lose the glory of beating me. All well. What's done is done, and I have a new goal.

My gaze returns to the Tavern. The daily routine continues for the tavern. In and out. In and out. Sundown can't come fast enough.

When sundown finally does arrive, I slowly make my way inside the tavern. It's almost empty, because this is the time of day before all the drunks come out for the night. I sit at the bar and order a water. The bartender looks at me with curious eyes.

"What's a pretty young girl doing at a dump like this at this hour?" He is middle aged with a scar above his eyebrow.

"Aren't you not supposed to criticize your business?" I ask.

"Sweetheart, I can do whatever I want. Got a name?"

"Not my type." I say. "A little old for me."

"No my intention missy. I've got a good family..." He looks away, and I feel guilty.

"Look, I'm sorry." I apologize. "I've had a long day."

"Haven't we all?" He says.

"Touché. My name is Kriss." He eyes me for a moment before speaking again.

"Kriss. Just a moment." He says as he starts torwards the door leading to the back. He comes back, eyes serious.

"Come with me." He says. I eye him for a second, but I entually stand following him to the back.

"Enter this door, and follow the lights."

"Uh..."

"No questions. Now go!" He pushes me into the hall, and closes the door forcefully behind me.

"What the hell is going on?" I say to myself. I follow the lights to a black door. I knock once and a young man opens it.

"Welcome Kriss. Glad you accepted our offer."
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

279 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:38 pm
Steggy says...

Marcus Killien

The wind thrust in Marc causing a shiver to run throughout his body while he hunched forward, blending in with the poor traffic of Eramtin. Many were venders trying to make end meat for their families but got nothing by the end of the day, returning home with a stuck sadness and starving stomachs. Marcus felt bad but was told not to feed them by his friends as they thought they would chase after you like a rabid dog, wanting more of your money. Most of the poor venders wore only what they had which wasn't much and only, if lucky, a coat with enough insulation to keep them warm through the cold months.
As Marc was walking down the main road, a beggar with small blue eyes and wrinkles dancing along his old face. The beggar stopped in front of Marc, shivering with a piece of cloth in his hand. Marc raised an eyebrow and look at the old beggar questionable.

"I don't have money to give you," Marc stated starting to walk past the beggar. When he did this, he stepped in front of Marc shivering. Marc sighed. One of those beggars.

"Look, all I have is a nickle and that is it. Please move out of my way." Then the beggar nodded unfolding the cloth to show a shivering newborn kitten, mewing honestly trying to keep warm.

"I know you don't have money to help me but please take my kittten," the beggar begged, handing Marc the cloth who took it without thinking. He walked past the beggar setting the kitten in his top pocket, en route to Jay's Taven. He glanced around wearily seeing the sun setting behind the tall Hall building while the air around him grew colder, soldiers near him were poking at the beggars and sometimes the ring of a firing gun would still the cold evening. He didn't mind not did it make him want to fight back because it was common in Eramtin since the weaker links would be killed off while the stronger of the weak were tossed to the side of the street, waiting to be killed next week.

Marc continued walking towards Jay's Tavern, looking ahead when he saw a familiar face looking around dazed and confused- Kriss Vaughn. Miss Vaughn was the closest friend before he went to the Academy and they had worked together as agents at some point in time. He smiled to himself walking faster until he accidently bumped into her.

"Agent Vaughn?" Marc asked, hoping it would get her attention. She turned around her face bare of emotion and white from the cold.

"Miss Vaughn now. I lost my title when I left," she sadly responded. Marc knotted his eyebrows feeling rather embarrassed.

"Oh I apologize. Miss Vaughn. I forgot. It's been a while."

"It has. Two years. It's good to see you again Agent Killien."

"You as well," Marc said looking across the street at sun setting. He better wrap this conversation before he forget where he is going.

"So...What brings you into the city today?" Miss Vaughn asked, causing him to look back. He couldn't flat out say it to someone he hasn't seen in forever. The kitten in his pocket was meowing louder of the cold.

"A simple patrol mission. Nothing too spectacular," he lied and Miss Vaughn nodded. It was an awkward silence between the two as Eramtin continued dying.

"Well it was good to see you again." Marc finally said as he walked past her keeping his pace slow and steady. He had hopped Miss Vaughn had bought the lie and wouldn't call him back for some more small talk.
The sidewalk was became more congested as from the day when he finally encountered Jay's Tavern. A friendly bar that welcomed everyone- even if you were poor or rich, you could also express any opinion you had and if an fight happened you were escorted to the Light Room. No one has made it to the Light Room nor escaped the Light Room.

Marc walked into the bar, that had barely anyone but a few drunks and a bartender at the counter. He looked around while the bartender looked up.

"Are you looking for someone, sir?"

"Sorta."

"Why don't you have a drink and wait until they come?" The bartender suggested as Marc nodded, walking and sitting on a stool near the counter.

"What's your name, sir?"

"Erm... Marc. Marcus Killien," responded Marc. The bartender stopped pouring the drink and looked up.

"Killien?"

"Yea?"

"You must come with me quickly," the bartender ordered, stepping out from behind the counter. Marc was confused but followed the man like a sheep. They walked down a dark corridor until they came to a large iron door with some ancient writing.

"What is th-"

"Don't ask questions. All of your answers will be answered from behind this door. Just go!" and with that Marc was pushed into a dark room. The kitten in his pocket was mewing as Marcus looked around for a light switch, but relentlessly couldn't find one. Suddenly another door opened as a figure silhouetted the light spewing from behind.

"Welcome Marcus. I am pleased you have accepted my offer."
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:57 pm
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Matthias

After setting down the equipment I had... Borrowed from the police, I sat down in a leather chair as our small underground headquarters came to life. About 30 trained Rebels walked up to the table to admire the new weaponry as Sergeant Davis approached, covered in ash." They hit us before we could get back safely. So no new recruits. Also, The mystery man, Repoor, left another letter. It's in your office as always." Sitting up with a grunt, I march to my small room, which doubled as a command center. I sat down my rifle and other equipment, picking up the letter from my desk. I slit it open with my combat knife and read.

To the most illustrious Matthias,

In response to our earlier correspondence, I will help you find real fighters, those who burn with the fires of patriotism. I've chosen them carefully and am having them meet at your safe house of Jays Tacern. I picked the place because it's known to you. But beforehand, I'd like to meet you face to face, man to man, to discuss what must be done. Please meet me at Dock 12 in the traders district. Bring men if you wish.
I look forward to meeting you,
Sincerely, Repoor

I sat it down with a sigh. In our earlier letter, the person who called themself Repoor, had expressed interest in my Revolution. And it seemed I was to meet him. I grabbed my combat knife and placed one of my disguises on. That of a Eramtian trader. An expensive outfit, but it got me into places I usually wouldn't have ever entered. Davis already had 3 of our best dressed up as members of the Guards guild. Usually ex officers or from officer family's, the Guild hired out their people to the rich or those that had many to afford. They had their pistols and other equipment ready. Davis saluted." I hope this isn't a set up." He said as he handed me the keys to one of the speed bikes we had liberated from a delivery ship. I grinned as I revved the engine as my "Guards" got onto their own bikes.

"Whoever Repoor is, they'll pray it's not an ambush." With a whoop I hit the gas, and the bike shot forward. I quickly made my way to the Traders district, for the more well to do populace... If that really counted as well to do. Quickly finding the docking areas I inched my bike towards dock 12, my eyes peeled for any snipers. I pulled to a stop. My men and I got off our bikes and slowly approached the dock. Than I saw him. A younger man. He waved at me and gestured me over. Followed by my men, I approached him. He smiled.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Matthias." He said, warmly shaking my hand. I smiled at his enthusiasm. He gestured at my men." Please, make yourselves comfortable. I'd just like to talk with your commander." Taking me a few steps forward, he began to speak. I listened for a good while. It had never been in me to be In second command, but he made valid points. Towards the end of his speech he smiled at me again. "That's why we must fight Matthias. I've seen the people. They whisper about you. They'd follow you, but they're scared. Your a good soldier. You inspire. I need you to do that again. I'd like for you to be at Jays tonight to inspect the recruits. But dress up as officers. I'm sure you have some outfits. I'll have some of my friends take their weapons as they make their way to the tavern, so don't worry about any harm. I think you'll be very pleased with their reactions."

I nodded." Good way to see how anyone reacts. Especially if someone's dressed up as an officer. I'll do it. And Repoor, watch yourself. You never know who's watching." He nodded seriously and walked away as I turned to my men." Well, shall we scare us some new bloods?" They all smirked wickedly at the same time.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:22 am
View Likes
EscaSkye says...

Leonas Chase

There are more guards patrolling at this hour than I thought.

Leonas ducked, hiding himself behind a bush. He picked the forest-like trail of the Academy to escape. It was risky, yes, but he knew that there was a fence that he could climb over; plus, it was the route nearest the street that would take him to the tavern. He surveyed his surroundings. The closest guard to him was the one standing a few yards away by a large tree. He had no doubt he could sneak behind him, but he worried that he would be easy prey for the person's comrades, seeing as there were spots he couldn't check.

He shook his head. I need a distraction. Suddenly from behind him, he heard the crumble of leaves underfoot.

"I thought you'd be here," a voice popped up from beside him. He recognized the sly smile and mischevious wink.

"Sam, what are you doing here? Isn't Mike going to find out that you're skipping one of your classes?" Leonas asked, furrowing his brows. "If you get caught here with me, we're both going to get disciplined."

She snickered. "And here I thought you would be happy that I was worried and thought you'd need my help."

Leonas frowned. It wasn't like her to put herself in trouble, especially when she knew that any problem she causes would instantly be reported to her parents. He didn't want to risk getting her hauled away from the Academy.

"Well, I appreciate you coming here but --"

"Shh," Sam placed a finger over Leonas's lips, staring intently at the sight to the left. "Stay quiet if you don't want our cover blown."

He was confused for a while, but after a moment, he realized what was going on. The guards he saw ran past them, appearing as though in a hurry, in order to get to the other side of campus. The brief mentions that he heard coming from their mouths was that some trouble happened at the shooting range. The guards were needed to alleviate the situation.

Someone was shot?

"Sam, if you did this --" he started, but Sam gripped his wrist and started to run.

"I would never harm a student," Sam said, dodging trees and holes. "But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my plan."

"Sam, you got a someone shot."

"And that someone is Mike," she grinned. Leonas wondered how she could be happy that her plan hurt her cousin, but after a while, the glint in Sam's eyes made him understand.

"It's an act, isn't it?"

"Yep, yep," she nodded, "he didn't want to do it at first, but I got him to say yes. I said it was either he help me make a distraction or I get in trouble myself. Don't worry, we'll be able to fix it."

Leonas's expression relaxed. Somehow, despite the situation, part of him felt warm upon the knowledge that his friends would be there for him no matter what, especially Samantha. He made a mental note to bring her something good when he comes back.

"How'd you even know I'd be here?" he asked, watching her as they stopped in front of the cobblestone fence.

"I remembered the map you showed me before," she started, lunging her right leg forward and placing her hands above her knees. She nodded at Leonas. "And I thought you'd choose the mid-choice, because the other path would be suspicious at this time."

He stayed quiet, impressed by her memory.

"Now if you're done interrogating me, I'll boost you up."

Leonas nodded, pacing a few yards back and breaking into a run. Once he was near Sam, he placed a foot on her palms and she tossed him in the air, letting him land at the top. He looked down at her.

"Stay safe," she reminded him. "And bring me and Mike back some cake. That's the least you could do."

He laughed. "Got it, commander."

He then dropped off to the other side and made his way to the Tavern.

Apparently, he wasn't the first one to make it there. When the bartender led him to a relatively dark room, there were three others. Everyone had a serious look on their face and it made him a little on edge. He wondered just what it was they were supposed to do.

"Just a few left," a voice said. "Once everyone is here, I'll give you all the instructions."

He checked his watch. Looks like dessert delivery is going to take a while.
Not anymore.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:37 pm
Steggy says...

Marcus Killien

"Welcome Marcus. I am pleased you have accepted my offer."

The light from the door, outlined a figure with a brown cloak over his bent figure. Marcus raised an eyebrow unsure whether this figure was Repoor or a stranger with a weapon.
"Who are you?" Marcus asked. The figure stepped out of the light, as the door closed and the room was suddenly dark. With a snap of a finger, the whole room was illuminated. Marcus was blinded as he lifted a hand over his eyes as the figure walked to a counter.

"To answer your question, Marcus Killien, for I am your letter and the next letter. But in the meanwhile, would you like some tea?" Marcus blinked, adjusting to the lights and shook his head

"That doesn't even answer my question," Marcus stated as the figure made tea.

"I don't like to give answers directly. Seems to drag away from the point and you should know the answer before you ask a question," the figured said as Marcus knotted his eyebrows. He had came all this way for Repoor and got some person who speaks in riddles. At this moment he could be studying for a test and be in bed, listening to the outside traffic, a madhouse lullaby. He sighed, sitting at a nearby desk and put his head into his hands. The figure he met, soon started pouring tea and sat across from Marcus. He slipped quietly watching Marcus with a peaceful gaze then set down his teacup.

"Now Marcus, Repoor has promised a letter with the next clue and surely enough I have the letter."

Marcus looked up and chuckled. "I don't even know you. All I know this is a prank and at the end, I get nothing. I found a kitten on the sidewalk shivering in the cold, and that is the only adventure that seemed to be. That kitten reminds me of Eratim and how the poorest live on the street.
"Now if you excuse me, I should be leaving. Tell Repoor that he should be the one bringing the letters instead of sending someone, including him, that I don't know. " Marcus stood up and walked to the door.

"Wait!" the figure yelled as he abruptly stood up. Marcus sighed, resting his hand on the doorknob.

"Repoor wishes to see you."

"Why isn't he here then!"

"You're looking at him," the figured stated as he reached up and removed his hood. Under the hood was a small face with sparkling blue eyes, lines of insomnia created grey bags. Repoor had fading grey hair that only covered the top of his head, wrinkles danced on his forehead. Marcus made a o with his mouth, shoving his hands into his pockets. The kitten in his shirt pocket, now moving, peeked to see the old man.

"Thought you would be much younger," Marcus said as Repoor's face fell flat.

"That's what they all say but that isn't matter. You see, for being an oldster like myself I have always wanted the enjoyment of fun but I am old now so all you expect is a monk in a fitted hood." Repoor said, walking towards the table. "Now in the beginning, sitting at this desk with a light, I wrote some letters to others as I wanted them to go on a quest that I cannot do.
" Now the choice is yours. Either you want to do the quest or don't, it doesn't matter really. Just an adventure worth doing."

Marcus walked around the room. It was the only chance he could do it and besides, the last adventure he had was when was a kid and chasing chickens in the street. That was the past. This was now.

He turned around to face Repoor and said,"I accept." Repoor smiled, reaching into his robe pocket and pulled out a vanilla card. He reached it out to Marcus, who gingerly accepted it. He carefully read it and looked up at Repoor.

"You want me to read a forbidden book of Eramin?"
Repoor nodded.

"I never could."

"You have thousands of books," Marcus exclaimed, pointing at the bookshelves that lined the walls. Repoor sighed, shaking his head.

"Those were from my time at the Academy. Those books are worthless. The one I want you to read is Eramin's History and Plans, then return back to your dorm room where the next set of instructions await. Now that you accept, leave and walk to the library." Repoor stood up and pushed Marcus out. "And don't tell anyone about any of this." Marcus nodded as Repoor smiled.
"Good luck," and slammed the door. Marcus, before he left, settled the kitten outside the door and walked to the Academy's library. When he got outside, the cold wind bit at his face as Marcus pulled up his coat collar. The lights were off in the buildings, few people were on the sidewalks- mostly the beggars, and the winds were picking up. Marcus trudged on fighting the strong wind as it filled his lungs with cold air- he coughed, pulling his coat around his body tighter, to trap the heat.

When he made it to the Academy, the local guard was outside spinning a baton while whistling the Eramtin's National Song. He caught sight of Marcus and stopped.

"Who are ye?" the guard asked with a slight accent. Marcus fumbled in his pocket and grabbed his identification card, holding towards the guard in the light.

"What'ch you doin' at this light, eh?"

"Er.. I was looking for-"

The guard let out a laugh. "I'm just't messing with you. Have a great night, eh." Marcus blinked and shrugged, walking into the building. The lights and warm heat barely made him snug, as his mindset towards the latest challenge given by Repoor was boring and could be easily done. Marcus walked down the hallway towards the library as few people were there, opening doors and cleaning the walls. Each person was doing something special they had to do, while Marcus was going to read a book he had read at least twice.

The library was a big open space with shelves lined with books. In the center of the library were four desk with small books with a pen neatly next to it. The lights were dimming, as most of the lights were since the money of Eramtin was going towards the police forces and government. Very few Academy students got lighting for studying and used fifteen minute flashlights.
The paint was peeling off of the walls and there was mold spots on the ceiling from exposure to rain. Overall, it was a cozy library with millions of books for whatever you could be studying.

Marcus walked into the library, looking around the area. Most people, at this time, would be asleep or walking around aimlessly then leave without a book. Tonight it was different as people were rushing around for last minute staudying. Marcus shrugged and walked towards the counter, that was swarmed with students asking millions of questions. He said excuse me and still was surrounded. From the corner of his eye, he saw a waving hand and found the only desk open. Some of the other students saw this and walked towards it, like moths to a light.
Marcus sighed, deciding it was best to go look for it himself.

two-hundred and one books later, he found Eramtin's History and Plans sitting down a desk hidden in the back. He flicked on a lamp next to him, getting cozy and started reading. The information was incredible as it gave a new insight on why the Academy was created and how Eramtin was found. As reading, Marcus found something surprising in a newspaper clipping stuffed inside.

Three teens dead- reading banned books. No one knows why or how the kids got the books but they all had a letter signed with Regards, Repoor. If anyone has info about Repoor or the kids killed, call...

Marcus glupped. He shut the book and replaced it back on the shelf. He knew this job was a tough one as reading that kids were killed in the process of finding whatever was needed. He only hoped he would survive.

53 Reviews

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:39 pm
View Likes
jumpingsheep says...

Ruis

For the rest of the day, I held onto my letter tightly. I was too afraid to hide it anywhere, and the fast pace of factory work didn't allow me any opportunity to memorize and destroy the letter.
This sort of thing had happened before-- rebellions had been organized-- and the police found out every time. Every damn time.
The police were always one step ahead. When I was little, maybe five or six, I remember seeing a raid. In the inn across the street from my friend's house, there was a large meeting, probably twenty to thirty people. My friend and I watched from his bedroom window to try and put sense to what was happening. The people were angry, and a speaker's call to action spilled outside the inn and into the street.
And then, with a swiftness that only the police had, lights were on the inn. Two police convoys pulled up on either side of the inn.
There was gunfire, and smoke. My friend and I ducked away from the window as screams filled the cold night air.
The police always knew.
But this was just a letter. A quick meet up. They couldn't possibly catch me.
Immediately after my shift ended, I started off for Jay's Tavern. The streets were filled with the underlife of Eramtin, and people rushed past each other, no one making eye contact. I ducked down a few more side streets, these ones less populated that the main ones.
Shadows clung to the buildings and steamed exhaust filled the air. My jacket provided little warmth, and wind whipped through the narrow spaces between buildings.
I approached Jay's Tavern just as another person left. They paused for a minute before placing a kitten down next to the door. They then hurried off, disappearing into the smoke and shadows.
Upon opening the tavern door, I was greeted by loud, rambunctious laughter and the faint sound of patriotic music.
I approached the bartender.
"Hi... erm... I was asked to meet here."
Dammit, Ruis, way to stay incognito.
The bartender looked up at me. "Name?"
"Ruis. Ruis Quirk."
The bartender ducked below the counter and pulled out an envelope. "Read this later. Not here."
He turned away to serve a customer and I was left standing there with another faded letter in my hand.
Trying my best to disguise how nervous-- and excited-- I was, I headed home, although not before stopping back outside the tavern and picking up the kitten. My younger sisters would be delighted.
And as a few brave flakes of snow spiraled through the air, my mind spun as I imagined the consequences of what I was doing.
hello there

279 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:07 pm
Steggy says...

Marcus Killien

What have I gotten myself into? Marcus thought, laying awake. The sounds of Eramtin slowly died out being replaced with the sound of the cold, harsh winter wind. Marcus shifted in his bed, kicking some of the blankets off and turned to stare out the window. It was earlier that he was at the library, turning through dozen or so books that Repoor had requested for him to read. It seemed to be a simple task, and Marcus liked to read. Just books that could possibly get him killed, lingered in his mind.

Maybe I am being overdramatic about the situation? I don't think Repoor would really send me on a quest like this. More or less, a quest that can kill. Marcus spent the entire night, thinking about the dangers and before he knew it, it was morning. The sun shone through the window causing its rays on Marcus's late sleeping face. He groaned, trying to cover up the sun but it was useless. His college dorm buddy, Handrex was patiently watching and waiting by his bed, so they could go to class together. When Marcus caught a look at him, he fell out of bed and onto the hardwood floor.

"What are you doing here?" Marcus asked, rubbing the growing bump on his head. Handrex let out a chuckle.

"We have classes today."

"Shit," Marcus said. He stared at his clock, and it was past the time of going to their first class. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier!"

" Because you were still sleeping, and you looked cozy and-"

"Can you jusr leave, dude? I have to get dressed." Handrex nodded, slipping out the open door. Marcus groaned, placing two fingers on his forehead. Eramtin came alive once more, little shops were open, rare cars were driving on the road, and well-dressed people were talking back and forth. It seemed a little colder outside than it was yesterday.

A few minutes later, Marcus and Handrex were running to their class.

"Can you slow down? I have to catch up with you!" Handrex would yell ever so often as Marcus would greatly ignore him. It was his fault they were late, but it didn't seem to get into that stupid brat's mind.

"Who's fault is it that we are late, and stuck in afternoon traffic?"

"Okay, look, I said I was sorry."

"Sorry doesn't make-up late classes, Handrex. Now, come on!"

~~~~

Later, after all the classes, Marcus was outside waiting for the bus to come. He could've just walked back to his dorm but there was ice on the sidewalks and god knows what else. The chilly winter wind blew around Marcus's heavy coat, but stung his visible ears. He groaned, jumping a little.

When was the bus going to come? It was only a matter of time that Marcus had realized that buses do not come during the night, but in fact come during day.

Why do all the bad things have to happen to me? At that sudden moment, it started to snow. It was flurries at first, gently laying on his coat. As he stood there, staring at the fresh snow falling. On the cars, on the road, and on the houses across the street. He was being surrounded my carefree white brush strokes, creating a winter wonderland of warmth and cozyness.

Winter is where the pretty things die. Marcus remembered reading that somewhere, maybe in a textbook or a poem. It didn't matter, really. It was almost calming for him to be standing outside in the snow, as it would blur the light poles and the city's buildings.

He had remembered something else too, but it was like a reflection. His mother would often bring home sweets from the local bakery, and they would sit by the window and watch the snow fall. The warmth of her hug and taste of the sweets brought back memories he wished to forget. A week or two after that, their house was sold and left homeless. Marcus would try to do work different jobs at a time to pay back the house, but it was useless. When he left for the Academy, his mother was on the verge of dying. Marcus would visit his mother everyday for the past two months until she died a peaceful death.
It hit him hard, as she was his only friend. Handrex wasn't around yet, and he was left with piles of homework from the Academy. Somehow he made it through, being top of the class in both years. His mother's death was only an obstacle to this hell we call life.

He shook these thoughts from his head. The bus wasn't here, and it was starting to snow harder. There must be a place he could rest for a while. All of the stores on the street were closed or sold, blackness cloaking their welcome signs. Marcus sighed, shoving his hands into his coat pocket.

I could walk home.

"Which home, though?"

He looked across the road at the small, houses that were clustered together. Some had lights on, while others were silent and dark. Maybe they will let me in.

There were no cars present as he continued walking, the cold wind pushing into him. He stung his eyes, and limbs. He already had a stuffy nose earlier, rubbing it ever so often on his coat sleeve. His whole face felt frozen, contorted in an awkward glance. When he got to the houses, a sudden wave of sleepiness rolled over him, covering him with a blanket. He yawned, wondering what time it must be. It was then that a voice was calling out to him, a soft and kind voice. Before he could see who it was, Marcus fell on the cold sidewalk and slept.

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein