z

Young Writers Society

The Heroes of the Shadows

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Hey! TheFantasy14 here! I've been exploring this forum a while and I've decided to give this a try. My story idea is this. The world, imperfect as it is, is filled with crime. The police can't handle it all. As a result, the government starts a top secret experiment in which they enhance a normal persons abilities and make them unbelievingly, inhumanly, advanced. In other words, they tried to create superheroes. But humans are only humans. Something went wrong with the experiment, causing the death of one subject and nasty side affects on the other five. Kirsten, a show magician whom they tried to make truly magical, lost both control over her powers and her memory. Leon, meant to be Kirsten's partner, went completely insane. Scarlette, armed with telekinesis and strength enough to break through solid iron, lost all control over her emotions, ultimately killing two scientists. Carlos, a small Latino boy graced with super stamina and invisibility, didn't seem any different. until he sneezed. Somehow, the scientists had given him the ability to breathe fire as well. (Completely on accident of course) Astral, meant to be the leader of this team, was given the most extraordinary gift. Super inelegance. Astral is the only one who didn't seem to have any problems, they kept Astral in the lab, shutting down the experiment and dumping the other four mutants in he most remote locations on earth. And they have been hiding in the shadows ever since, because according to the government, none of them exist
The personality and appearance of the character you choose to play is up to you, I will be playing Kirsten and Leon, so if you wanted to play them, I'm sorry to say they've already been claimed. I'm hoping to hear from you guys soon. The fate of the world rests in your hands...

45 Reviews

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:54 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Chapter One: Kirsten
I trudged through the empty whiteness of the tundra, snowflakes snagging in my midnight black hair, the tails of my black dresscoat flapping in the biting cold wind that whipped relentlessly at my clothes and skin. I was hungry, and tired, and cold, but I hardly cared, today I was getting out of here. My name is Kirsten. Kirsten Rhett. At least, that's what the goverent told me. I don't remember anything before I woke up strapped to a hospital bed and the government official sitting next to me told me my name and dumped me here. Let's hear it for our amazing government, folks. I trudged on, my feet getting drenched as the freezing snow melted beneath my feet and soaked my socks through my black dress shoes. I traveled a few more yards north until I reached the place I was looking for. A large chunk of ice where I had carved the teleportation pentacle earlier thet day. I had tried before to go through this portal, but it didn't work. Magic confuses me sometimes. I had gone back to my camp to do a little more research on the spell and it turned out one of the glyphs was wrong. I changed it now, and the portal flickered to life. "Yes!" I celebrated. "I knew all that research would pay off!" I stepped through the portal and when I came out the other end found myself in a vast desert. "Oh for the love of--" I turned to where the portal used to be "This is hardly any better!" I shouted into the emptiness. lousy spell. I bent over and began to draw the glyphs in the sand, when I noticed something. Footprints. there was someone else here.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:40 pm
View Likes
Snoops says...

Carlos

Even breathing felt like hard work in this hot air. The top of my head could fry an egg and every step I took felt worse than the last. I wanted to lay down on the sand, but even that world burn me to pieces, not that the sun wasn't trying. How did I get here? Well, that is....something I would rather not discuss. Basically, it was my own dam fault. I was the one that got me into this mess, so of course, I needed to get myself out. I had been in this desert for five nights. Five days of burning and five nights of freezing. A perfect hell if you ask me.
Until now the only other life form I had found was a scorpion who I tried to follow hoping he would lead me to water, but instead I lost him after he hid under a rock. I don't think he liked me that much. After that, I lost my only friend. Not that he thought I was. As for the desert hallucinations I was waiting for-nothing. I couldn't even imagine water. I took a deep breathe. Come on, there has to be some life here. Camels! Snakes! I will take anything! As long as I knew, the whole world could be fighting off a alien species and I wouldn't know better. I kept three words in my head: Don't give up. It was as cheesy as it could get, but it helped. Even if I did have to repeat it every second. I stopped for a few minutes and lay down, the burns weren't as bad anymore, but I didn't dare look at my naked feet. The “beautiful” landscape in front of me consisted of a huge sand box. I swear to god I would change it even for Antarctica. And that's when I saw Antarctica. Not kidding. It was as if a round whole had opened up and I could see only ice. And a girl. She was just as pale as the ice behind her, but her hair was he exact opposite- pure black. Yep, know I must be loosing it. Before you knew it I would see dragons! The girl walked towards me and I felt my instincts work. I was turning invisible. We'll get to that later. And then the giant hole was gone, but the girl remained. She seemed disappointment: I don't think she wanted to be in the desert.
“Oh for the love of-” she said. But she never finished because she was looking at my feet. Oh I forgot about footprints! Great! What should I do? Should I say hello? She was obviously real! In my imagination no girl would be black haired! I like them blond. Not that I really mind, just....my brain would of picked a blond. I smiled awkwardly when I remembered she couldn't see me.
“Umh hi” I said. Before turning visible again. Her eyes widened and I couldn't wait to show her my fire breathing! Now that would freak her out.
"Keep calm, drink tea and hide under the bedcovers"

Previously Lau2001

45 Reviews

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:16 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Kirsten
"Umh, hello." Bleated a voice. It was slightly high-pitched, and dorky, but It was obviously a boy's. I looked around, but I couldn't see anyone. great. five seconds in the desert and I'm already hearing voices. Just then, he appeared. he was small and slim, with dark skin and hair that made his bright green eyes seem out of place. okay, so there could be the tinyest chance I'm not going batty. I squinted at the boy, and before I lost my nereve, reached out and poked him in the nose. The boy jerked back. "Ouch! What was that all about?"
I rapidly drew my hand back. "Sorry! Sorry! I thought you weren't real!" The boy sat up, rubbing his nose tenderly.
"Well, I am. My name's Carlos."
"And [i]I'm[i] glad I'm not crazy."
Carlos stayed silent. he was obviously waiting for me to properly introduce myself. "Kirsten." I said. Carlos grinned impishly.
"Glad to meet another form of life around here." Then he seemed to remember something. his grin grew Cheshire-Cat-Wide. "You ever seen fire breathers at the circus?"
I looked at him cluelessly. I hate amnesia. "I don't think I have..."
"Watch this, then." Carlos inhaled deeply, then blew out. a jet of flames shot from his mouth. I couldn't help wondering if that burned his tongue. I licked my thumb and forefinger and pinched a small flame that was alight in my hair, snuffing it out. "What spell did you use?" I asked him calmly. Carlos looked confused and a little crestfallen. "Spell? What spell? I have [i]fire breath.[i] You're not at all freaked out by that?'
I shook my head.
"Not really. I mean, I just teleported from the tundra, so I guess you and I have the same sort of problem."
"You can breathe fire too?"
"Uh no. But I can do this."
I pointed at the ground, and golden light flowed from my finger. when it touched the sand, the ground between us immedeately turned to crystal blue water. Carlos gazed down at the water as if he could hardly beleive what he was seeing. He probably couldn't. he looked back up at me, that What-The-Hades-Just-Happened look still on his face.
"Huh. I see." Was all he said.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:08 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

"Welcome back." A calm voice filled my ears, but behind the voice was pure dominance. I couldn't see his face but I knew he was smiling. Smiling proud of what he turned me and the few others into. What that was, I'm still not sure. I shiver.
"Where- Where am I?" I ask as I try to sit up. But, something stops me. At first I assume it's the pulsing headache or the fatigue I feel, but then I look down and notice my whole body is bound to a cold silver table. He walks over to the table and looks down at me with a cold and eeiry admiration. I try to look away from his black eyes, and focus on the restraints. After a moment he must have noticed my interested glares torwards the metal restraints.
"Magnesium alloy. One of the strongest metals in the world. It's just a precaution. Your body won't feel stronger until later, but safety first...You side affects seem to include nausea, fatigue, and migranes. Sorry for any...inconvience." He explains. I wanted to believe his kindness, but something seemed off.
"What! Wait..Where?!" I struggle to look around as much as my restraints would allow. All around me were other people. 3 other lives just like mine getting turned upside down. They all seemed around my age. I was the only one conscious.
"What the hell is this?" I ask as my heart begins to race.
"Don't worry Ms.Fawn. We are almost done." He pulls a syringe from a metal table, and fills it with a grayish liquid.
"What is that?" I pull at my restraints. Nothing.
"Now calm yourself Ms. Fawn before you do something rash."
"Why won't you answer any of my questions!" I'm panicing now.
"Ms. Fawn-"
"Answer me!"
"This won't work unless you stop moving." How can he stay calm in this moment?
"No! Stop! Please help!" I scream. I feel the prick of the needle and explode. Shards of metal go flying in every direction. I have destroyed the restraints into a million pieces as if it was glass, and the room goes silent. My breathing is heavy and my heart continues to race as I scan the room.
"Oh no...oh no no no no no. Oh god!" I jump up from the metal table and run to the man who know lays in the corner covered in blood.
"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry. Please wake up! Wake up!" I pull the large piece of metal from his chest.
"Wake up dammit!" I yell as he groans.
"What have we done...what have I done? God my family." He seems dazed. Almost like he doesn't care who I am anymore. "Tell them I love them...tell my daughter how..the story ends..." His eyes slowly close as he takes his last breath.
"What story! What story? Please no....please no." I feel warm tears brush my cheeks. What have I done? I murdered someone.
"What have you done? You monster!" I turn to see a young women staring at me. She wears the same lab coat as the scientist before her.
"It was an accident...I didn't mean...I'm-"
"Oh God!" She runs quickly to a red botton placed on the wall and pushes it. Red lights begin to flash, and sirens blare. She heads for the door pulling out a radio.
"We need help on level 8! We've got 1 fatality, and an awake patient! Code red!....Albert is dead."
"No! It was an accident! Hey wait! What's going on? What's wrong with me?" I yell as I run after her.
She continues to run faster torwards the floor entrance before the floor goes in lockdown.
"Hey stop!" I yell as I continue running, and she listened to me. She stopped right in her tracks. My eyes go wide as I stop running. The door closes and the alarms sounds go off. In their place a voice echos throughout the corridor.
"Ms. Fawn. Release Mrs. Richardson, and return to your room or we will shoot you on site." They demand.
"Release? What? What are you talking about?" I ask.
"You have 10 seconds. 10...9...8" As the countdown continues I look at the woman.
"Release....done...go." She doesn't budge.
"5...4...3.."
"Stop counting!" The young girl hands shake as my mind races for a way out.
"Stop it!" I look at the gun in its holster on the young women's hip.
"Go!" All a sudden she pulls out her gun and places it to her own temple and shoots.
"No!" I run to her ignoring the countdown. Her eyes were glassed over and lifeless.
"I'm sorry. No that's not what I meant to do. I never wanted to kill them!" After what feels like hours the voice reappears.
"Congrats Ms. Fawn. You will not die today, but you have killed two innocents. It is all your fault...your fault...your fault....your-" The rest of what the man says becomes a blur as my head begins to spin.

"Aaaahhhh! No! No! Stop!" I sit up screaming covered in cold sweat. Around me is the jungle that has become my home. A stranded island with no way off. My punishment for my mistakes. Every night it is the same dream. Watching the life of innocent people leaving them, and feeling my heart lose more pieces of it's already shattered existence. I wipe the tears from my eyes and look up into the canopy of trees.
"I'm a monster"
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:29 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Kirsten
Night had fallen in the desert. The sand was cooled down, but it was freezing. Of course, I had lived in the tundra for two years, so it didn't really bother me, I just missed the warm sun of the desert. Beside me, Carlos shivered. I Don't know what made me do it, but I leaned up against him, warming him with the heat from my own body. Carlos didn't seem to mind, but after a while he said, "Why don't we start a fire?" I leaned back, feeling slightly guilty that I had made him uncomfortable. "Sure." I agreed. Within minutes a fire had been started with the sparse kindling we could gather, and a small string of fire Carlos had spit onto the twigs. It wasn't much, but it was enough to somewhat warm us through the freezing night. We sat in silence for a moment. The quite here was so thick I could almost feel it pressing against my ears. Back in the tundra, there was always the sound of the howling wind to fill the space where life should have been. Here there was nothing. Nothing but me and Carlos. And the stars, glittering like small chips of Ice on a thawing black lake. I Looked away from the sky and into the dancing flames. "Carlos, how did you get here?" I asked him.
Carlos stood and fed a stick into the fire. "I could ask you the same thing about the tundra." He said evasively.
"I was just dropped there." I answered, sensing he didn't want to talk about it
"Exactly."
"But why?"
"I might as well get it over with. I'll warn you though, this may get a bit depressing.
I lived with my mum most of my life, but a while ago, I met my dad, and I ran off to Venezuela with him. He said we'd have a better life together...then one day I woke up and he was gone. That was when the scientists came. They took me..."
Carlos's bright eyes clouded with pain, lost in the terrifying memory. "They did things to me. Terrible, awful things.."
For some reason, I felt myself sypathysing with the young Latino boy. Was it because this had happened to me? If it had, I guess it would be the first thing to be added to my list of benefits of my lost memory. "I can't remember why they brought me here. It probably had to do something with my magic."
"Question: You lost your memory, right?"
"Yeah."
"Then how did you remember you had powers?"
"Funny story actually. You see, when i was first dropped off, I sort of panicked and blew up and ice burg."
Carlos's green eyes glinted with mirth. He barely supressed a snicker. "You blew up an ice burg?" he choked through a laugh.
I almost laughed too. I elbowed him softly. "Hey, that's a serious thing people have to deal with."
Carlos laughed out loud this time. "Alright. as soon as we get out of here I'll be sure to make a generous donation to the Chronic-Ice Burg-Explosion fund."
I hesitated, reluctant to change the light-hearted tone of the conversation so soon. "So...how are we gonna get out of here?"
"We could just do what you did to get here." Carlos suggested
I ran my fingers through the sand. "Maybe...I'm not too good at it yet."
"As long as it takes me out of here, I'm fine."
"Glad you're not picky, because neither is the portal."
"Hey. Look at the bright side. you got to meet me."
I smiled at Carlos. It was good to have a friend.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:38 pm
View Likes
Halfbloodcheetah says...

TYBALT

Tybalt drove his ATV through the desert. He loved the feeling he got when he drove on his ATV, but unfortunately he had no time for feeling the wind in his face, or looking around at the scenery. Besides, even if he had wanted to look around it was too dark out for that anyway. He had orders, he was supposed to meet someone out here. He stopped his ATV, took of his helmet, and looked around. He could see no signs of anyone. He sighed and took out his binoculars and scanned the horizon. He stopped when he saw a small fire burning off in the distance. The sides of Tybalt's mouth went up, "Bingo." He said putting away his binoculars. He put his helmet and got on his ATV and raced toward the location of the fire. He wondered what was so important that he had to rendezvous here, he never asked though. He just did what he was told. He was taught that words get nothing done. Only action could do the job effectively and correctly. As he pulled up to where the fire was he could see two young people talking. Of course they would be kids. He rolled his eyes, now they were sending him to be babysitter. He could hears them talking as he got closer

"We could just do what you did to get here."

"Maybe...I'm not too good at it yet."

"As long as it takes me out of here, I'm fine."

"Glad you're not picky, because neither is the portal."

"Hey. Look at the bright side. you got to meet me."

He decided now was the time to make himself known to them. He cleared his throat and took of his helmet so that his wolf face showed. "Hello. Carlos? Kirsten? I'm Tybalt. HQ sent me to rendezvous with you." He gave a small smile.
Someone needs to make Captain Cold a fursona.

45 Reviews

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:03 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Kirsten
A talking wolf. Defineately not what I was expecting. How did it-he-know my name?was it (or he) on my side? Why am I not used to this kind of stuff by now? Carlos was staring at the wolf person in astonishment-no, not astonishment.-fear. "HQ..." He muttered to himself, his eyes fixated on the wolf.
"Carlos? Carlos, are you alright? what's HQ?" I asked. but something in me remembered, something made me afraid too. Something inside me reached out to Carlos, I felt the need to save him, fight with him. Carlos and I stood as one, watching the wolf warily. "It's alright, kids." The wolf mollified us. his voice was scratchy and abrasive, like sandpaper. "I'm here to help you."
Carlos hastily backed away, his bare feet scrabbling in the sand. "That's exactly what they said!" Carlos argued, his voice was frantic. That's when I figured out what was going on This HQ the wolf was talking about was whatever lab they had taken him to. I readied myself for a fight, golden magic glowed inside my palms. "Whoever you are, L-Leave us alone!" I faltered, my own fear making my voice shake. The wolf only rolled his eyes.
"Look, you two, If I wanted to hurt you I would've done it by now, can't we just-"
"Run!"
Carlos must've spotted the rifle on the wolf's back before I did. Fighting would've been suicidal against the guy. I hared after Carlos, who was surprisingly fast, even for a boy of his size and weight. I heared the roar of an engine behind me, but I didn't dare look back. I had seen that thing roar up on his ATV already. Carlos was yards away by now, aperantly not feeling any fatigue at all, but I could feel myself slowing. My terror outweighed the sensation of my lungs screaming for air, though, and my adrenaline kept me dashing through the sand. But in the end, it was no use. When I forced myself to look over my shoulder, the wolf and his ATV were almost on top of me. he reached out with a large, humanoid hand, an I stopped and let him approach. It wasn't any use to keep going. The wolf swung himself off his ATV, and slid his helmet off, I looked out at the vast expanse of desert in search of Carlos, but I only saw empty sands. How could Carlos just leave me behind? I had trusted him! The wolf put a hand lightly on my shoulder, Now, I couldn't remember what it was like to be captured, but my guess would be that a kidnapper would't be this gentle with their victims. Hope fluttered in my chest.
"My name is Tybalt." he whispered into my ear "And I'm a friend."
"I-I'm Kirsten." I whispered
"I know-"
Just then, Carlos appeared from thin air and leaped on Tybalt's back. The wolf thrashed around, trying to dislodge him. relief washed over me. Carlos had been here this whole time, invisible
"Get the portal working!" he shouted
"Get off!" Tybalt yelled at Carlos
I knealed down in the sand and hurridly began drawing the symbols. When the portal opened, Carlos flung himself off Tybalts back and ran over to join me, dodging Tybalt as he made a desperate grab for him.
"Wait!" Tybalt pleaded.
Carlos gave him one of his signature maniac grins, throwing him a mocking salute before diving into the portal. I gazed at Tybalt, I saw good in the humanoid wolf, and I knew Carlos did too. "Why did you come here?" I demanded, no longer very afraid of him.
"I was sent to protect you."
I glanced over at the portal, it was already growing smaller. "You can follow us if you want, but I-I have to go." I dashed into the portal.

Carlos and I ended up in the jungle. At least it was a step up from desert, though there didn't seem to be much going on. "Jungle." Carlos said simply. "I can live with jungle."
I shuffled my feet in the grass. "Carlos, were you afraid of Tybalt?"
Carlos chortled a little. "Come on, Kir. If you and I were afraid of something wired, we'd be the two biggest hypocrites in the history of the world."
I laughed a little.
"I guess I was more afraid of going back to the Lab." Carlos looked out at the endless stretch of trees. "Race you to the end?" he challenged.
before I could answer, he raced off into the trees. I shook my head at my friend's hyperactiveness, and loped after him. Of course Carlos won. I had to stop and rest several times, but Carlos just kept going. And going. And going. We finally stopped at the site of a campsite. It looked like it had been recently abandoned. the fire had died, but the embers were still glowing. "Let's stop here for the night." I decided.
Carlos stretched. "Alright. I could do with some shut eye. Should we post a watch?
I gazed out into the vast jungle, and thought I could see the eyes of a wolf glinting between the trees. "I think we'll be fine." I told him. we laid down on the hard earth, and I instantly fell into a deep sleep.
It seemed like I had just laid my head down when I heared a female voice gasp "Who are you?"
Last edited by Europa on Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

40 Reviews

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:18 pm
View Likes
Halfbloodcheetah says...

The kids whirled around, they both looked startled. Carlos looked a little afraid and Kirsten looked confused. Carlos looked at Tybalt with a strange look on his face and mumbled something under his breathe.

Kirsten looked even more confused and turned to Carlos, "Carlos? Carlos, are you alright? what's HQ?"

They both stood up at the same time, watching Tybalt warily. It was kinda of freaking him out. He put his hands up to show he was friendly "It's alright, kids. I'm here to help you."

Carlos hastily backed away. "That's exactly what they said!"

Tybalt looked confused. "Wait... What? Who said what?"

Kirsten looked like she was ready for a fight, but Tybalt had no intentions of fighting. He actually wanted to help. Then her hands started glowing. 'Ooooh That's why they wanted them...' He thought as he backed up one step.

She glared at him though he could tell that she was still afraid,"Whoever you are, L-Leave us alone!"

Tybalt rolled his eyes. "Look, you two, If I wanted to hurt you I would've done it by now, can't we just-"

"Run!" The two kids took off.

Tybalt sighed and got onto his ATV and put his helmet. They always had to run, everyone always ran. He revved up the engine and went after them. Kirsten was falling behind, the big wolf felt kind of sorry for her. She suddenly turned and saw him following. He stretched his hand out.

Suprisingly, she stopped and Tybalt stopped and got off the ATV and took of his helmet. The other guy was no where to be seen. Must've been a coward, left his friend behind. He walked up and put a gentle hand on her shoulder, and whispered into her ear, "My name is Tybalt, and I am a friend."

"I-I'm Kirsten..." She whispered back.

"I know..." Tybalt started to say when the other guy attacked him from behind. He thrashed around trying to get him off.

"Get the portal ready!" he shouted while attacking him.

Tybalt tried hard to not hurt the kid, keeping in mind that they were scared. "Get off!" he growled.

Carlos jumped off and Tybalt tried to grab him, but failed. "Wait!" He said. These kids were more than scared... they felt cornered. He kept his distance, but stated close enough. The boy shot him a devious grin and a fake salute before diving into the portal.

"Why did you come here?" Kirsten glared at him.

He hated when people looked at him like that... "I was sent to protect you."

She glanced at the portal which was shrinking, "You can follow us if you want, but I-I have to go" She ran into the portal.

Tybalt wasted no time and dived through the portal after them. "And to think I missed a date for this..."

He landed in the jungle, Now this was his kind of terrain. He could see and hear the two kids talking. He watched them as they ran through the trees, and he followed making sure he wasn't seen. He watched as they stopped to rest at a campsite. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but at one point in the conversation she looked up an straight at him. He froze, not moving until she looked away. He waited until the kids went to sleep, and walked out of the woods and sat near the fire.

As soon as he sat down he heard a voice saying "Who are you?"

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:56 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlett Fawn

"Who are you?” As soon as I say it I regret it. One face I recognize instantly. My eyes go wide with horror as flashbacks from the lab return. They both stand and stare at me in awe. I remember her, but she doesn’t seem to remember me. The girl with the dark hair. The boy with her is a different story. I don’t know him but as he stands I see he is about my size. Small and agile like me. Probably good at running, but I know the island better than them. I slowly back up, and then turn into a full sprint. I see both of them start to chase after me, but luckily I know the island better so I don’t hesitate as much to dive through the thick brush. The boy is right on my heels.
“Dangit!” I yell through thick breaths.
I quickly make a sharp turn buying me some time. I find my way to clearing.
“I lost them...” I breath heavily as I hide behind a log.
"Calm down...calm down. They won't find you...they won't find you." I try to calm my heart rate as the forest goes quiet. After a moment I stand and look around. I take one step when I feel a strong force push me to the ground. I couldn't see him coming. The boy now lays on top of me pinning me to the ground. Just as I'm about to throw him across the clearing he stops me.
"Wait! Please calm down. We won't hurt you. I promise."
I stare into his glowing green eyes. He seems so genuine. My body slightly relaxes as my eyes fill with water.
"Please! Get away from me. I...I don't want to hurt anybody." I plead.
"It's okay. You won't hurt me. I know it." His voice is calm as he slightly smiles.
"You don't understand..." I say. He wipes a tear that falls across my cheek.
"Wanna bet?" He says quietly. Just then the girl with the dark hair runs up out of breath.
"Carlos, are you alrig-...What's going on here?" She questions. Carlos turns towards her.
"Oh. Sorry." He says as he gets off me, and holds out his hand. I stare at it for a moment before I let him pull me up. My cheeks burn red as I take a step away from them.
"Who are you?" The girl asks. I stay silent.
"Look." She says. "We aren't bad people. We just want to make sure you aren't some crazy island lady." She meant it as a joke but it still struck a nerve.
"How did you find me? They made sure nobody could find me here." I say.
"We don't know who you're talking about. We just kind of...stumbled here. My name is Kirsten and this is my friend Carlos." She says. Carlos stares at me with curious eyes. What I said must have meant something to him.
"My name...My name is Scarlette." I say.
"It's nice to meet you Scarlette..." Carlos pipes up.
Behind them I see a figure approach. He has a gun raised.
"Kirsten, Carlos back up! Test subject 423 has been named highly dangerous." He yells.
"Excuse me?" Carlos questions. "How the heck did you get here?" He turns to Kirsten who is now looking at her feet. "You helped him!?"
"You! You lied to me." I yelled in horror pointing to Carlos. "You made me..trust you. God I was so stupid." I turn to start running away.
"Hey!" I hear Carlos yell, but what he said next was a blur as I hear the gunfire. Pain shoots through my shoulder as the world goes blurry. The last thing I hear is someone yelling.
"Why the hell did you do that! She wasn't..." Then it was dark.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:36 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral Venceworth

That day, Astral had woken up and decided to try Chinese water torture.

The drops plinked down from the faucet above him, splashing onto his forehead. It was that infuriating mixture of gentle and forceful, the lukewarm sensation of an infatuated acquaintance. The erring arrhythmia of the drops further increased his annoyance. The suspense of the terribly mundane feeling was close to driving him insane.

Of course, this was the intended purpose. Astral watched the droplets collect in the moist nozzle, anticipating the not-quite-painful splash of water.

“That’s enough, Astral.” The lights switched on, glaring intensely. A man in a lab coat strode relaxedly towards him. “We can begin now.”

“So soon?” Astral muttered as the scientist released the clasps binding his limbs. “I could’ve gone for another hour, at least,” he joked gently, rubbing the red marks left by the chains.

“I told you, seven hours is enough.” The scientist fished in his pocket for a remote, pressing the button. Astral leaped off of the torture machine as it sank into a trapdoor, out of sight and out of mind.

“Ah,” Astral sighed with relief, stretching his arms above his head. “That was so boring. At least waterboarding had some gravitas.” Turning to the scientist, he shrugged out his shoulders. “So, what do we have planned today?”

The man glared back through sickly spectacles. “I think you already know.”

Astral chuckled. He was right. “But the same robots every time, Chuck?”

The scientist, known more covertly as Dr. Charles, shrugged callously. “That’s just how science works, kid. Even you oughta respect that.”

Astral shoved his hands in his pockets, grinning. “I make my own science.”

Dr. Charles said nothing, nonchalantly pressing a different button on his remote. The platform he was standing on lowered beneath the floor as well, the tile sealing over it. Between the platform lowering and the floor closing, there was a window of approximately 0.42 seconds. Enough to jump through. Unfortunately, the hallway below was protected by laser tripwires coupled with some flamethrowers and tesla coils. Any normal person who went down there would know what it felt like to die twice.

“Archaic devices,” Astral mused smugly. He’d already devised the perfect tools to counter each trap, smuggling them within his pockets.

Grinning, he stared up at the high white ceiling, surveying the enormous, blank room he was locked in for the tests. He could leave if he wanted to, but that was exactly what made him want to stay.

A hydraulic whir from behind failed to startle him. Turning, he could see the robot rising into place behind him. A hulking colossus of metal, with a reflective chrome shell at least six inches thick.

Dr. Charles’ voice crackled over hidden speakers. “Alright kid, let’s see what water torture does to a freak like you.”

Astral nodded. “Did you replace the bomb like I suggested?” he enquired innocently.

“If we did, then it’s nuclear now. All in all, that gives you one minute to disarm that thing before you’re a dead man walking.”

“And the guns?”

“Rocket launchers today, kid. But I’ve given you enough info already.” A brief silence came as he pressed the buttons of doom. “Commencing mental test 113.” The robot’s eyes began to glow, motors whirring as it raised its arm. “Here’s to you dying, Venceworth.”

Suddenly, the machine’s neck sparked, its head cocking to one side. Like a puppet on a spasmodic string, it jerked around frantically, smoke pouring from every joint in its body. Flapping its arms, it began an aggressive chicken dance, running in circles around the room before collapsing in a heaping mess.

Dr. Charles’ speakers were shocked into silence.

Astral smirked. “I’m bored,” he proclaimed bluntly to the empty room. “Trapped in this lab, dining on rations - it’s not much of a life. And these mental simulations are getting more tedious by the day. Just drivel for you to jot down on your little lab reports. Laughing at you has gotten stale, doctor.”

He pointed imperiously at the ceiling, exactly the location of a “hidden” camera. “The king demands better entertainment.”

A solid silence extended between them. Dr. Charles’ fear was palpable as he spoke. “What do you have in mind?” he uttered gravely.

Astral chuckled. “Why, to find myself the court jesters! They’re still alive, right?” He grinned maliciously. “You told me you killed them, but I know better. So let me hunt them down,” he offered. “For as with all things, there will only ever be one ruler.”

He could almost hear the painfully slow gears of the doctor’s head creaking as he waited.

“So be it,” the doctor’s voice cracked. “As of today, you will begin your mission of hunting down the other experiments.”

“That’s more like it,” Astral cackled.

With a whir and click, as most things did, a door slid up in the blank wall. Light spilled open from within; the gate to glorious freedom.

Astral waggled his finger. “Ah, ah, ah, doctor,” he reprimanded, “I’ll see myself out.”

With that, he stomped the floor, breaking into the hallway below. As the tile caved in, exhilarated whoops could be heard as Astral broke free from his chains, dashing down the treacherous hall. Neutralizing the lasers and flamethrowers and security guards, he fled on light feet from the prison of so-called science.

And then, of course, the bomb went off.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

99 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:30 am
View Likes
Snoops says...

Carlos Hernandez

I look back at Ty and then again at the blonde girl on the floor. And then back at Ty.
“Why is he here? Did he jump after us? Kirsten?!” I scream. I felt angry that she was hurt, and I still couldn't wrap my head around why. Wasn't she a stranger for me? Then why did I feel my heart beat faster and my bottom lip curl my rage. Kirsten was already between me and Ty when I started to yell and holding me back- she should be holding him back. He's the one that has a gun and is shooting it at innocent people!
“I'm sorry...I just...I let him in because...well...” I ignored Kirsten's “excuse” and turned my head to the blonde girl on the floor. There was a little blood pouring out of her shoulder but I had seen worse scares and judging by the ones I could see on her leg, so had she. I ran over to her and used my jacket to tie around her shoulder. The rest just watched as I did it. Kirsten seemed to feel awful, as if she was the one that pulled the trigger and Ty, well, he seemed conflicted. Like the dad of two kids who were treating a wounded bird and was terrified they asked: Can we keep her? Well, that wouldn't be a problem anymore. He had to go away. Right now if you ask me, but since Kirsten seemed in too much of a shock to actually do anything. Instead I focused on her shoulder and took some deep breathes to calm myself. I could feel my throat heat up with every one I took. The whole situation was stupid anyway, four freaks stuck together on an island. It sounded like something the Whitecoats would have planned. Using Wolfie here to track us or something. But why would he shoot her in the shoulder? I mean, he had enough time and space for a clean hit throw the heart even. Why hit her in the shoulder? The blond girl groaned as I tightened the last bit of cloth around her shoulder. We should just let her sleep it off, it's not like we can do anything else. I make sure she's laying as comfortably as you can on the floor and walk towards the fire pit. With one deep breathe I light it. Funny enough, lighting things on fire helps me calm down. I was already calming down and decided that as long as I stayed close to Kirsten and the blond girl, that I could make them invisible and then together we cold get out of here. All I needed to do for now was to keep an eye on him.
“Carlos?” Kirsten asks gently. With one last deep breathe I smile slightly and turn to her. People always feel better if you smile.
“I'm okay and so will she.” I say calmly.
“Is there anything we can do to help?”
“Can you magic up some water?”
She smiles slightly at the “joke” and sits down next to the fire.

Previously Lau2001

40 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:19 pm
View Likes
Halfbloodcheetah says...

TYBALT

Tybalt saw the girl and he had no idea why but something came over him and he couldn't control himself. He raised his gun and started running after the two. What was he doing? This wasn't part of the mission! Why couldn't he stop himself!? As he came up the girl's eyes widen in fear. He could hear himself speak but the words weren't his "Kirsten, Carlos back up! Test subject 423 has been named highly dangerous." Who the heck was test subject 423? Why was he attacking an innocent... A girl? It was against everything he stood for!

The kids were talking but he couldn't hear them. Something had control of his mind, he watched helpless with a sinking feeling that he was about to break his own code just because some was controlling him. The girl started to run away and the gun went up... 'No...' he thought 'NO!' The gun fired and the girl fell to the ground.

Suddenly he could feel whatever was controlling him let go. He looked at his gun disgusted and threw it to the side. He was ticked. Someone had tampered with his mind, and gave him a totally different mission. He felt sick to his stomach, so he sat down and looked in no direction. He could hear the kids talking, but he didn't care what they were saying. He had just shot a girl, someone made him go against his code. The mission could as well be a failure. His com buzzed in his ear, he took it out and glared at it. Then he answered and spoke into it, "If you ever, EVER, creep in my mind again; I will kill you." He took the com and threw it into the fire.

He looked over to where Carlos and the girl were. The girl looked as if she was going to be okay, but Tybalt still felt extremely guilty. He took out his phone and looked at his picture of Zandra, and smirked. When she found out what had happened, she wouldn't be happy at all. Then he would accidentally "forget" to lock the handcuffs when they wanted a debriefing. He snickered, that would teach them to tamper with this wolf's mind.

45 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:54 pm
Europa says...

Kirsten.
I sat on my heels, watching the moon make slow progress across the night sky. Tybalt had wanted to take first watch, but he had seemed to be really shaken up by the whole "Shooting Scarlette" Thing, so I had taken the first shift for him. A cool breeze blew through the humid jungle, ruffling my ebony hair. I stared out into the vast foliage, my nerves abuzz. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself, but my nervousness returned in seconds. I could't help thinking there was something out there, watching me. I was still watching the trees when I saw it. for the briefest instant, I could see the a human form silluhetted against the trees, my already jangling nerves crashed together like a wind chime. Fear ignited in the pit of my stomach. "Hello?" I called softly. no answer.
'Danger!' screamed my instincts. I remembered what Carlos had said about the Whitecoats and the lab. If they were here, I would't let them near Scarlette, or Tybalt, and I sure as anything would't let them hurt Carlos. I could feel my palms get hotter and knew my hands were glowing. I crept nearer to where I had saw that shadow. "If you're one of...them, stay away." I warned the seemingly empty woods. suddenly a rush of bravery made me take a few wide strides into the forest, my palms glowed brighter. "I'll fight you!"
Then, something jumped forward and grabbed me from behind. I tried to scream for help but the whoever-it-was clapped a hand tightly over my mouth. the person leaned in so he was just within my line of sight. A boy. His hair looked grey...maybe just a trick of the moonlight? His yellow eyes seemed to glow in the dim light. His mouth twisted in a smirk "Shhhh." He hissed in my ear. "You would't want to wake the others, would you?"
I nodded, before sinking my teeth into his index finger. I could't make a sound, but he sure would if I had my way. The grey haired boy hissed a breath through clenched teeth and I bit down harder, tasting the metalic taste of his blood as I broke the skin
'Scream, darn you. Scream!'
I urged silently. Instead I felt something stick into my thigh. Every muscle in my body relaxed immedeately. My mind started growing fuzzy. my quickly weakening legs buckled under me, and I slumped against my captor, completely helpless. I fought for conciousness as I was dragged through the jungle, but the drugs of whatever he had stuck me with were strong, and I found my eyes closing against my will as I gave into the emptyness of sleep.

99 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:01 pm
View Likes
Snoops says...

I wake up with a soft kick to my stomach: Ty. With a gasp I stand up and look around quickly. I can see Scarlet on the floor sleeping meters away from me and Kirsten is-
“Where is she?” I scream. With rage I grab his shirt and push him against the nearest tree. Even I had to admit it was pathetic, but Ty didn't react. He just kept his arms up in surrender.
“I don't know. That's why I woke you up.” he confessed. I tightened my grip around his shirt until my knuckles turned white. Why would he grab her and then wake me up to warn me? What sick game was he playing? I need to find her. Now. But I can't just leave Scarlet behind with him. Or whoever he was working for. I looked back at Scar and then at the woods. Maybe Kirsten just went for a walk? No. she was on watch. No way she would just leave us for a hike. Okay, that meant she was in real danger. And if Wolfie over here wanted to kill us he would of already. So, conclusion, Wolfie is coming with me. Scar would be fine, and we could come back quickly. How hard would it be to find a magic girl with no memory? Can't be that hard.
I let go if his shirt and turned around towards Scar, and I felt my hands tremble: fear. I was scared to go into those woods. Whatever got Kirsten would kill me in a second. But I can't just leave her. Come on Carlos! Get yourself together! Kirsten wouldn't even hesitate to go find you and here you are being the chicken everyone knows you are. I took deep breathes and tried to calm myself.
“Come on, we're going to find her. We'll leave Scar here and come back before she wakes up. She'll be terrified of us though.” I told him.
“You stay here, I'll go and find Kirsten and you can-”
“No. I told you we're going together. Now” I ordered and couldn't believe the strength in my own voice. Ty nodded and we started to jog into the woods before sprinting. My eyes never left his sight. Kirsten was my priority but Ty, he was the one I kept my eye out for.

Previously Lau2001

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria