z

Young Writers Society

The Heroes of the Shadows

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

3:40 AM and I wake up screaming covered in a cold sweat. My heart races and my breathing staggers. Frisky, on the floor below my bed raises his head to look at me. Thankfully Matt placed me in the highest room of the house. He told me that no one should be disturbed while I’m up here.

“Nightmares Miss Scarlette?”

“Yes, I’m sorry if I woke you up Frisky. It's just...I’m sorry.”

“Don't be sorry Miss Scarlette. I don't really sleep much. I wasn’t created to sleep...You scream and talk a lot in your sleep. Tonight was a little worse.”

“I was drowning. Someone was holding me under the water, but I didn't know who it was. It felt so real, and no matter how hard I fought I couldn't get out. They were screaming at me, but I couldn't comprehend what in the world it was, but I knew it was my fault. God, it felt so real. I even felt the water fill my lungs.” I place my head in my hands.

“I’m sorry that you have these nightmares.” He says quietly.

“Yeah me too.” I say. I quickly throw my legs over the side of the bed and slip on the pair of old converse I found in one of the old closets at the farmhouse. I climb out of the bed, and I grab my jacket from the edge.

“Where are you going?” Frisky asks.

“For a walk.” I say walking towards the door.

“Would you like me to come with you?”

“No Frisky. I’ll be okay.” I quietly make my way down the attic stairway towards the second floor. The floor creaks slightly, but nothing that should wake anybody. I pass the rooms of my sleeping friends. I recognize the individual noises I have come to recognize. The springs of Kirstens bed rustle because she moves a lot, Carlos snores like a cartoon character, and Astral is so silent you can almost hear his heart beating, and the blood rushing through his veins. It's amazing how much time you have to notice things about others when you don't sleep.

I continue on my way down another flight of stairs when I hear a noise behind me. I don’t turn to see who it is, but I know it’s a person. I dont have the time, or heart to explain anything right now. I rush the rest of the way down the steps, and out the front door. Before I can rush off the porch too a voice stops me.

“Scarlette? Where are you going at this hour?” I turn to see Matt sitting on the porch swing with a cup of water in his hand.

“Me? Why are you up?” I ask avoiding his question.

“Keeping watch. Now it's your turn to answer. Spill.” He pats the part of the swing next to him, and I slowly walk over.

“I just...needed to clear my head a bit. Couldn’t sleep.”

“That’s funny. You used to be the kind of person that would make me go into her room 20 times every morning to get her out of bed.” He slightly laughs. “You were never a morning person.”

“I’m still not, but it's different when your body doesn't know what morning is anymore.” He looks down. I can tell we are both thinking the exact same thing. We haven’t had a real conversation in almost 3 years. Well, unless you count the argument we had earlier today regarding the corrupted messages. But besides that nothing. We’re both very different people now, and even though he is the most important person in my life I still feel like he is stranger.

“How are you?” He asks,

“Please don't try to pretend like everything's okay Matt. We’re not sitting at home watching tv on the couch anymore, where my only problems were whether or not boys liked me. We’re caught in a war now. You and I both know I’m not okay. We also both know that you're the only person I would dare admit that too.”

“Scarlette I was just-”

“I know what you were doing. I'm sorry I snapped. It’s just…”

“What is it Scar?”

“Look Matt you can't tell the others about these things. You have to promise me you won't. It has to be my decision when the others find out. Okay?” He nods. “Look, when we were still trapped in the labs I did some things I regret. I killed two innocent people…They were doctors, they both had families, and they were so scared...of me. I did that, and I can't take it back..” This was the first time saying those words allowed. I’d like to say that it felt like a weight was lifted, but it wasn't.

“Scarlette. Those people tortured you. They treated you like a lab rat.”

“They didn't deserve to die like that though Matt. I forced one of them to kill themselves, and the other slowly bled to death. He was in so much pain, and all he could think about was his daughter…”

“You can’t let the guilt consume you Scar. It was an accident. You were scared. You had no control.”

“That’s no excuse Matt.”

“Look, if you’re looking for forgiveness. I forgive you. You’re still my sister, and I love you more than anything. I’ve always fought for you, and I always will. I promised that I would protect you always, and I will. You can’t blame yourself for the rest of your life. You have to forgive yourself eventually. Those doctors knew what they were getting into. You guys were classified as highly dangerous. They knew the risks they were taking.”

“I’m trying Matt, but I’m going to have to live with it forever. I’ve always been someone who gives people second chances, but forgiving myself is harder than I thought. I can’t tell the others what happened. What would they say? I was a monster that day. I promise I’m trying Matt.” He reached out, and wrapped me in his arms. For the first time I didn't fight it, and I let out my anger through sobs. Matt was always my shoulder to cry on, but the harder I cried the more I thought. And thinking can corrupt us, but it can also help us. I pulled myself from Matt’s grasp, and stood up.

“I’m going for a walk. You should try to get some sleep okay?” I wipe my eyes, and smile. Before he can say anything I’m already off the porch heading towards the stables. I choose to sit on top of the fence surrounding the field. Its empty, because the horses are still shut away in the stables for the night. I pull down my sleeve to reveal the gash on my arm. My skin grows darker every day, and my worry increases. I was going to tell Matt, but I’m afraid of the answer I would get. Right now I have to focus on bringing Astral into this group. To not only save the group, but to save him. I owe him that. If anyone found out about the infection they’d blame him. He’d blame himself. I can’t do that now. Not to them.

“You know, I always felt like this place was more beautiful during the day, but I can see why it's so compelling at night. The sky is brighter with stars than I ever seen.” I quickly hide the gash on my arm, and turn to see the figure walking up behind me.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:09 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral Venceworth

He stomped the ground with heightened force, sending a shockwave rushing through the earth. The horse in the distance bucked, dumping Leon and Carlos from its back as it kicked into the air.

Scarlette and Kirsten helped them up, and turned to look at him as he trudged across the meadow. Good, he thought. That saves me an introduction.

Astral’s expression didn’t change as he walked up to them, casting a bored gaze over the Heroes. Kirsten seemed to twitch, her eyes drilling into his forehead. Leon had a worried look, looking at the two as though trying to peer into their thoughts. Carlos’ hand moved subtly, passing over his chest. Where I shot him, Astral remembered.

Scarlette did her best to smile, but Astral could see the way she hid her arm behind her. He smiled to hide the fact that his teeth were grinding in frustration.

“So,” he said, spreading his arms to address the Heroes, “here we are at last.” He gave them a winning, majestic smile, letting the warmth emanate from his words. “The Heroes of the Shadows.” The wind ruffled his hair as he stood there before them, their magnanimous leader.

His bright aura was quickly doused by the cold stares that stabbed in from all sides.

Kirsten scoffed, turning away. “Come on. Let’s go.” Giving Astral a meaningful glare, she stalked off in the direction of the cottage, not looking back.

Leon looked between the two of them, tensing unsurely. The silver-haired king nodded. The black enchanter threw an apologetic glance at Astral before starting after Kirsten, trekking across the sun-lit meadow.

Astral felt a hand on his shoulder. He shrugged it off immediately, looking the other way. He could feel Scarlette draw back, and hear the excitement escape her chest. He watched out of the corner of his eye as she turned, following the others away from him.

A whinny startled him from behind. Astral turned to see the horse abandon him as well, trotting off to fulfill whatever its equine destiny had in store.

Shaking his head incredulously, Astral looked up and stared at the only person left.
Carlos’ eyes darted around as though looking for an escape, but his feet were planted firmly in the soil. His lips were set into a firm line, but his muscles were tensed, as though he expected to be shot at any moment.

“Well then,” Astral began, smirking as Carlos jumped a little, “I don’t believe we’ve ever properly spoken before.”

Carlos shook his head fervently. “We haven’t.” The boy was looking Astral up and down, unsure what to make of the smartly-dressed, grey-haired genius. Astral courteously did the same.

“You’re scared of me,” he said suddenly, taking a step forward. “Perhaps more than the others. Why is that?”

Carlos seemed to squirm under his vigilant gaze. “Well, it’s not that we don’t want to trust you, it’s just that you can…you know,” he said, making a universal gesture with his hands.

“Quite,” Astral noted dryly, watching as Carlos blushed.

“I...I mean, if I could make swords out of my blood, that’d be pretty cool. I have lost a lot of it lately.”

Astral winced. “You saw that?”

“It was lying on the floor when I came in. I could only assume it was yours. Disappeared when I touched it though,” Carlos recalled.

“I suppose so. Please apologize to Scarlette for me.”

“You mean you haven’t?”

“I have, I just...felt the need to repeat it.” The God of Knowledge tapped his forehead, closing his eyes.

He sighed gently. “You know, I envy you, Carlos Hernandez.”

The Latino boy blinked. “You do?”

“That is what I said, isn’t it?” Astral smirked. He stared at the sky, observing the fleecy clouds. “Only you would grant your assaulter such an unprejudiced audience.”

“Oh. Uh, yeah.” Carlos rubbed his neck. “Makes up for what I don’t have, doesn’t it?”

“Really?” Astral gave him a sidelong glance. “What would you not possess?”

“A robot lion, for one,” Carlos said, eliciting small chuckles from them both. “But yeah,” he said soberly, “I don’t have what I need.”

“The power to protect,” Astral guessed, flopping in the grass wearily. “I’ll tell you right now: You don’t need it.

“I know what you’re going to say. The world’s a bad place. That’s why we were made, Carlos. Did you know that? We were created to fight crime, to bring justice to the entire world. For the sake of argument, let’s say we did.” Astral stared up at Carlos meaningfully. “Then what? Rule humanity with an iron fist? No, this approach solves nothing. It’s far better not to need protection in the first place.”

Carlos swayed a bit, trying to find a joke to say, to change the subject, to avoid this seriousness. “But still…”

“But still, it’s frustrating not to have control.” Astral drew himself up from the short grass, facing the wind. “Well, that’s alright. After all, power only accomplishes so much. You look at me, and what do you see? Power, and only power. No love to speak of.”

Walking forward, he placed his hand on Carlos’ shoulder. “I’ve dedicated my whole life to becoming something greater than human. Something better.” He shook his head. “Perhaps the greatest power of all was the most human one.”

Astral scoffed at himself, releasing his grip. “I’ll stop right now before I sound too cliched to take seriously. Still, remember this, Carlos,” he said, walking past the boy in the opposite direction from the cottage, “you don’t need power. You have friends.”

Astral walked away across the field, hands in his pockets, his chin up. But the sun’s harsh light forced his gaze downward again. "So please, take care of them for me."

“Hey!” he heard Carlos call. “What’re you going to do now?”

Astral laughed heartily, glancing over his shoulder. “Me? I’m going to find some other way to transcend humanity! Wait and see, Carly, I’ll become a true god yet!” Smiling genuinely, he strode into the sunlight, not looking back.

Suddenly, he heard a small growl from within his belly. Realizing that it was his stomach, he picked up the pace until he was sure he was out of sight, then looped around to the cottage for a proper supper.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:29 am
Europa says...

Leon Rhett

I leaned on the fence, staring casually up at the stars. I could feel Scarlette's eyes on me, but I didn't look over at her.

"You have someone on your mind."
It wasn't a question. I was too familiar with that feeling to not recognize it when I saw it.

I heard Scarlette sigh. "I have a lot on my mind."

I gave her a sideways glance. She reminded me of someone...I couldn't put my finger on who, but something about Scarlette was familiar.

"I can tell." I murmur.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it? That we've all had to be ripped from our lives, that out of everyone who the government could have chosen to have their reality ripped to shreds, it would be us."
The tone of the statement surprised even me. I didn't hear any resentment, any bitterness in the words.

Scarlette said nothing. we both stared out at the empty field.

I sigh a little. "Thank you, by the way."

Scarlette looks over at me "For what?"

I turn to look her in the eye.
"For taking care of my sister when I couldn't. And...for showing her what a family can be like. She wouldn't remember it, but our family was never really together. We never knew our dad, and our mom had to work most of the time. It was just Kir and I most of the time."

"I guess that's something we have in common. I didn't have much of a family life either."

Scarlette looked back out at the field, and I recognized with a jolt who she reminded me of.

Myself.

I recognized the pain in her eyes. Something terrible had happened to her. something she blamed herself for.
"What happened?" I asked.

"To my family?"

"No. To you. At the labs. What happened when they gave you your powers?"

Scarlette seemed to shrink a little.
"I...don't want to talk about it."

I nodded silently, and turned to leave, but something made me stop. I reached out, hesitated, then put a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't let yourself fall apart." I murmured. "You'll never piece yourself together again, not fully. You can do your best to rebuild yourself, but there will always be pieces of you that are crooked or missing. That was the mistake I made."

Scarlette only stared at me. I let my hand slide off her shoulder, then turned to go back to the cottage.

What on earth made me say that?I don't even know her!

It took me a while to realize I was doing it again. Waiting for Blak to say something.
It was strange, not having him around anymore. In a way, he was as much a part of me as Kirsten. I climbed the stairs and carefully opened the door to my bedroom. I slid between the covers, not even bothering to take my shoes off. It surprised me the next morning how soundly I'd slept.

Being a fugitive is hard work.

15 Reviews

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:26 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

I keep thinking about what Leon said last night.

Don't let yourself fall apart. You'll never piece yourself together again, not fully. You can do your best to rebuild yourself, but there will always be pieces of you that are crooked or missing. That was the mistake I made.

I know he is right, but I still feel like I’m not ready. Everything is good right now though, and I’m finally ready to get there. I have everyone to help me too.

The next morning after our conversation I walk out towards the fence once more to think. I turn back towards the house, and I see Kirsten on the roof. Something has been bugging her lately. I wonder what it is? When I finally reach the fence I realize I wasn’t the only one with this idea that this was a good place to think, because when I walk up I see someone already there.

Astral.

He sits in a meditating position on top of one of the posts. His back is to me, but you could see his silver hair from a mile away. I slowly approach making my footsteps as slow and quiet as possible.

“Scarlette.” He says without turning towards me. I ignore his tone, and take this as a welcome.

“I was beginning to think you forgot my name. You’d think after spending the past three months with a girl you’d at least acknowledge her.” I joke climbing up the fence to sit next to him. I make sure to keep my distance though. A good 6 feet away.

“Why would you say that?” He says slightly annoyed.

“I’m sorry.” I say genuinely. “I know this whole transition isn't exactly easy for you. Especially with the whole-”

“The whole everyone hates me thing? Yeah, I know.” He opens his eyes, but he doesn't turn to me. “I honestly dont care though. Those mortals should be bowing to me in fear as their leader. Not showing disgust towards me.”

“First, that is not what I was going to say. Second, stop comparing them to mortals. I know you’re still getting used to the whole “you’re not a god thing”, but we’re a team. Which means we’re equal. Which means we need to work together. Not apart. And just because you were...created to be the leader doesn't mean you have to use fear to earn it. Try respect, and understanding first.”

“Some of the greatest rulers in history ruled through fear.” He snaps.

“And look how well it turned out for them.” I snap back. “Let's see...Hitler, lost the war and died. Stalin was hated, and his communism thing never worked out. Al Capone went to prison, and died of young age. Each succeeded until they got caught. The world realized that ruling through fear isn't ruling at all. None of them are remembered for anything good. As history goes on no one will remember Hitler's charm, Stalin’s strategy, or Capone's wealth. All anyone will remember is how they terrorized the world. Why would you want to be remembered for that?”

“At least it’s being remembered.” He says.

“That’s no way to live.” I say angrily turning from him.

“Well that's who I am, and you can't change that! And you need to stop! You need to stop caring!” He yells finally looking at me.

“You’re right I can't change you Astral. I don’t really want to, because I know I can't. Just like you can't change me, or stop me from caring.” I turn and look him dead in the eyes. “I can't change you Astral, but I can encourage you to want to change for something greater. I can't make you do anything. I do this for you. Not me, or my friends. But for you. You can be you all you want, but I also know that you aren’t evil.”

“You know I really hate you sometimes!” He yells.

“Care to explain?” I snap.

“For instance, you see this good in me, but I’m not a good guy. You’re friends see that, so why can't you? Also, you stick up to me. You should be afraid of me. I hurt you, and you still have faith in me. Like, what the hell is your problem? It was so easy when I thought you hated me. It made it so easy not to fa-” He catches himself.

“Not to what? Made what easy?” I almost yell. His breath catches in his throat and he coughs.

“Nothing.” He says his face slightly going red. “God. You’re just so annoying and confusing sometimes.”

“Well put.” I calm slightly. “You’re no picnic either, but nothing can scare me. After everything I’ve been through. After everything we all have been through. Im haunted by everything, but not scared. Not anymore. Especially not by you.”

“Fine. How do I make them stop hating me?”

“First, just try to understand them. Second, treat them like your equal. And lastly, help them. It’s that simple. Respect and care will come later...It worked for me.”

“I’m sorry.” He says.

“Yeah, I’m sorry too.” I look down. “I know it not my job to ‘fix you’. It's just, when you find people to live for, you can't help but care too much. That’s what I do. I care to much.”

“Sometime’s that's what people need. Even when they dont realize it. Everyone sort of needs a person like you in their life. I guess...I kind of need you to.”

“Wow. I'm pretty sure that is the nicest thing you have ever said to me.”

“Yeah dont get used to it.”

“And he’s back.” I slightly laugh, and jump off the fence. I walk towards the forest in front of us.

“Where are you going.” He asks.

“For a walk. Wanna come?” He stays silent. “I see…” I turn walking off without him. A few steps in, and I hear his quiet footsteps behind me. Just like always. “Knew you couldn't resist.”

“Yeah yeah yeah. The only reason I’m here is so you dont get eaten by a bear.” He says defensively.

“Sure it is…” I smile and continue walking letting him catch up with me.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:38 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Kirsten Rhett

The sun was setting when I settled down on the roof again. I rested the palms of my hands on the rough tiles; the grit digging into my skin was an oddly pleasing sensation to me.
Ty had left the day before with Kevin and Zandra. Said headquarters needed him for something. I have to admit, that put me on edge. Why would Ty just leave us like that?
Despite how safe this place seemed, I couldn't help but feel that something horrible was coming.Sooner rather than later.I jumped when I heard someone walking across the gritty shingles and whipped around. Carlos was standing behind me, wobbling precariously as he fought to keep his balance standing on the slanted roof.
"What are you doing up here? You scared me!" I gasped.

"Sorry." Carlos said, windmilling his arms as he nearly feel over.
I chuckled.
"Sit down before you kill yourself." I joked fondly, patting the space next to me.
Carlos quickly obliged and I went back to staring out at the endless fields of the farm.

"Kirsten?" Carlos began quietly. "Are you okay? You've been a little...distant for a while." I sighed, letting my shoulders sag vulnerably. There was no point in hiding emotions from Carlos. He knew me too well.

"I'm just worried. I know we're finally together again, but I can't help thinking, for how long?"
Carlos looked like he was going to say something, but he stayed silent and I continued.
"We can't ever just disappear, Carlos."

"Well..."

"Okay, maybe you can. My point is, we're all on the run right now, Carlos. None of us can drop off the radar. We'll never be really safe. It's only a matter of time until something else comes along and tears us apart again. The only questions we can ever ask is: What? And When? Are we really as safe as we seem?" Carlos hesitated before answering.

"I don't know, Kir. I don't know if we're safe, if we'll ever be safe, or if we'll be torn apart again, the only thing that's certain, the only thing that really matters, is that we're here, together and safe, now."I smiled, scooting closer to him and laying my cheek on his shoulder.

"I forget, were you always this poetic?"

He smiled back, his fingertips brushing mine.

"I do have my moments, Kir."

fingers interlock and we hold onto each other's hand, Carlos's thumb making slow circles around the velvet of my glove.

I looked up at him. He looked taller, older than when I'd first met him. For a fleeting moment, I wondered how he could have changed so fast, how any of us did.

"We're not little kids anymore, Carlos." I murmured. We were so close I could feel his cool breath on my lips. My heart began to pound.

"No," He agreed.
His green eyes sparkled with that familiar humor, and he smiled.

"But we're not exactly grown up, either." I laugh softly. We were both leaning closer, our lips barely brushing...
There was a bang and the sound of shouting from inside the house and we jumped apart.

"What was that?" I thought aloud. The sounds of fighting were growing louder, and I sprung up.
just as quickly as the fighting started, it stopped.

"I'm going down to check it out. Stay there." I told Carlos.
I jumped through the skylight and dropped into Matt's room, which was in complete ruins. The mattress had been torn from the bed, bullet holes peppered the walls and furniture, all of which had been overturned and thrown about the room. The sound of wheels crunching on gravel reached my ears. Car doors slammed, and I heard the sound of people tramping towards the house. Every muscle in my body tensed, already preparing for a fight. I threw the door open, adrenaline lashing through my veins as I sprinted down the stairs.

"Someone's coming!" I shouted to Leon, who was finishing putting the breakfast dishes away. He set the knife he was drying down, and we both turned to the back door expectantly. Through the curtained window, we could see the silhouettes of many people outside.Then two things happened at once. The door burst open, and Carlos screamed.

Carlos.

Soldiers began pouring into the house, and I could hear the motor of a helicopter growling from the roof, and footsteps above us as someone jumped down from it.I froze. The fight around me seemed to slow down.

I have to save Carlos. But...Leon needs me down here.

A soldier pointed a gun at me and my instincts took over. Leaping catlike into the air, I kicked the gun from his hands, I landed inches in front of him, and my fists began swinging, hitting precise pressure points on the man's body. He fell, and as he did, someone grabbed my braid and dragged me back. I felt the cold metal of a gun on the back of my head. Leon yelled something, lunging forward, but the soldiers held him back.

They were going to kill me, and make him watch.

My hand flashed out, swiping the knife from the counter and slashing the braid form my head. My hair fell around my face, and I began to charge again.

"No, Kir! Get out of here! Help your friend!" Leon yelled, fighting against the soldiers holding him.

"But--"

"That wasn't a suggestion, Kirsten! Go!"

I caught his eye. "Stay safe, Leon. I love you."

I sprung up and back onto the roof, looking around. Carlos was nowhere to be seen, and a sleek, black helicopter was already far away, flying over the hill.

No...

I jumped down from the roof, triggering my agility, the earth momentarily blurring in a haze of gold. Every time I'd slow down, I'd jump again, letting my power carry me through the valley at Mach Speed. I was almost below the helicopter in a matter of seconds. I vaulted into the air, and snagged the landing skid with an outstretched hand.
I dangled there, the wind screaming through my clothes, whipping my choppily cut hair around my neck and cheeks, and I slowly pulled myself up, my muscles screaming as I fought against gravity and the vengeful wind. I planted my feet on the landing skids, and quickly reached out and grabbed ahold of the handle of the door.Then the copter banked sideways. My feet slipped out from under me and my hands were jerked away from the door. I screamed, but the sound was snatched away by the wind as I free-fell through the air and towards the ground hundreds of feet below me. The wind whipped my breath away from my lungs and tears clouded my vision. I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the inevitable impact.

I'm sorry, Carlos. I couldn't save you...

Suddenly, I felt a strong arm wrap around my waist, and I was jerked from the air and set down on a cold, firm, metallic something. My eyes blazed open and I looked around. I was on the back of Frisky, and sitting in front of me was Astral, his eyes trained on the sky in front of him.

I glared at him suspiciously. "Why did you do that?" I demanded.
He glanced back at me. "Are you telling me you were planning on falling to your death?" I glowered, starting to say something sharp in response, when something caught my eye. A figure sprinting full-pelt toward the house. We were too high up to make out details, but the blonde hair was unmistakable.

I pointed to the sprinting girl. "Scar."

Frisky began descending, but Scar didn't seem to notice the lion spiraling towards the ground. There was a roar of engines, and we shot back up into the sky, using the clouds as a cover as we continue to watch Scar. She disappeared inside the house and Astral spurred Frisky on faster.
The roar of an engine split the air above us, and Frisky swooped out of the way just as the drone above us began firing, raining a deadly hailstorm of bullets right where we had been only a few seconds ago. Astral grimaced as Frisky wheeled through the air, narrowly escaping the next volley of shots. I bit back a cry of pain as one of the bullets grazed my arm, blood staining the sleeve of my black shirt dark scarlet. We wouldn't last long like this. If we weren't killed in the air, we'd die crashing when the drone damaged Frisky.

"This is getting us nowhere." I shouted over the sounds of battle. I stood, my heightened agility allowing me to balance perfectly on Frisk's spine.

"Don't you dare." Astral growled. I clutched my wounded arm and gave him a look. "Shove off, prick." I said shrewdly, and launched myself though the air and on top of the drone. I held on for dear life as it shot straight up, the tips of my fingers barely holding on to the nose. I slashed a hand across the top of the drone, leaving a golden gash and several cut and sparking circuit boards and wires.

Oh, were those important? Whoops.

The drone sputtered, then began slowly falling form the sky. I let go, flipping though the air and landing back on Frisky's back with a heavy thunk, and bowed grandly. Astral only glared.

"That was the most foolish thing I've ever seen you do." He snarled.

"I thought that would be the fact that I decided to jump on a helicopter." I plopped down, smirking behind my glove. "and besides, it worked, didn't it? We aren't getting shot at." Astral clenched a fist. my smirk widened and I turned my cheek towards him, tapping it with a finger. A voice exploded in my ears. It sounded as if it was coming from inside me, as if someone was shouting at me from the depths of my mind.

Now is not the time for arguing! We're being attacked, you fools!

It was Scar's voice. Astral and I locked eyes. The anger had gone from his pale gaze, replaced with urgency.

So he'd heard it too.

Frisky barreled down from the clouds, hurtling towards the house, and the next moment, we were thrown back as an explosion of fire rocked the earth. We tumbled back, ash and smoke obscuring our vision.

NO!

"We have to get back there!" I shouted frantically, knowing it was no use, already knowing there was nothing left.

"Kirsten--"

"NOW!"

Astral shook his head somberly, and I could have sworn I heard him mutter "On your head be it."

The world after the explosion was eerily silent. I could hear Frisky's powerful wings beating the air, and my own shaky breathing.
We landed at the edge of what used to be the farm.Nothing was left but a huge, smoking crater, and a black bomber, shooting though the sky away from the wreckage.It took a moment to realize that the screams were coming from me. Raw and animalistic. A cry of pure rage. I felt the wight of the magic orb forming in my hands. I launched it upwards towards the plane. The golden projectile sailed through the air, exploding against the body of the massive bomber. It fell from the air, spiraling crazily as the pilot fought to regain control.

"YOU SON--"

The rest of my insult was lost in a second explosion, the explosion of the bomber.

The fall of the the plane that had killed my brother and my best friend.

The plane that had taken everything from me.
Last edited by Europa on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:07 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Matt Fawn

After my oh so lovely talk with my sister, in which she told me to stay away from her, I went for a walk. After a bit of musing I finally heard Ying speak up.

You don't need to be so hard on yourself. She's all grown up now and can take care of herself.

I shrugged. Ying was right, I just didn't want to believe it. I sat down on a rock and began to levitate a pebble. Ying had been training me on how to use my... Well his powers. And they were pretty dang cool. He told me that eventually, I could put thoughts into people's head and basically get them to do what I wanted. That's when I started hearing the whirring of helicopter rotors. Something was wrong, I could sense it. I began to race back to the ranch.

I was intercepted by a small group of men in black tactical gear. I began to fight with them, punching and kicking. Eventually they over powered me and attempted to hold me down. All I knew is I wanted them off and foom!! All three soldiers flew off of me and into the air. I cringed as one slammed his back into a tree with a sickly crunch. I knew the man was dead before he fell to the ground.

"It's one of them!!" Someone yelled and they all jumped on me. I began to calm down instantly when one pricked me with a needle, than began fading in and out of consciousness. I was carried onto a helicopter and it began to float away. I tried to cause some chaos by slamming myself into the side of the chopper, causing it to bank right.

They put another needle into me. Before I blacked out for good, I saw a huge fiery ball of flame erupt from the ranch house. Scar... I thought as I slipped into the darkness

--------

"Well well mister Fawn, you have been naughty. Oh for goodness sakes men, take the blasted bag off!" I squinted my eyes in the light as things began to clear. I sat facing a middle aged blond man. He was sitting on a metal table, his legs dangling off like a little child, studying me curiously. He smiled, and folded his hands." Well sir, I must say it is an honor. From elite black ops, to Army lieutenant, to... Well I suppose we'll call you an anomaly for the moment."

I croaked." Who- who are you?" My throat was dry. The man laughed daintily." Oh my apologies. How rude of me to ignore one of the main rules of being a host. My name is Takar Mu Jahid. And you are in time out young man." He leapt off the table and looked at some files." Sorry about your sister, terrible terrible tragedy." My eyes widened and I struggled against my bonds." What did you do to her!!" I howled. He cocked his head." Well, nothing yet. I meant a terrible tragedy that she murdered two innocent scientists. Friend of mine actually."

"You tortured her." I growled, grimacing against the pain. He looked shocked." Torture!! Young man, we did no such thing. Why, when she murdered them in cold blood, they had been asking her to take her vitamins so she would remain healthy!" He pulled a handkerchief from his lab coat and wiped his sweaty brow. "And your friend Leon? A murderer!! He killed your squad mates in the Middle East! Murdered them in cold blood! They did nothing to deserve it! And I'm sure you now know why the pilot to your helicopter was missing as well!"

------

And that's how it began. Each day, Dr. Jahid spread the seeds of doubt into my head, saying I couldn't trust anyone anymore but him. Even Ying was convinced. And when I told Dr. Jahid about Ying in my head he merely shrugged." We've known for a long time Matt. In fact, if you would like, we could set up some training courses for you to practice your mind capabilities!!"

He had me. I was becoming his. I was no longer Matt Fawn. I was becoming the Talon of E.A.G.L.E. The Bureau of Electromagnetic Anomalies Guidance and Lost Energies. This was the group who had captured all the kids in the beginning. And now they owned me.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

15 Reviews

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:51 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

“Okay.” I laugh. “Next question...What three things would you bring with you on a deserted island?” I ask Astral as we walk. I feel him slightly smile behind me.

“What is this 3rd grade? And why all the questions suddenly?” He asks.

“Dont question it. Just answer.”

“Well...I guess I would take a pocket knife, a sandwich, and Frisky.” I laugh at his answer, but my laugh is quickly stopped as the ground rumbles beneath my feet. Its subtle, but unnerving. “Scarlette?” Astral asks. He must have noticed my expression.

“Something’s wrong.” My assumptions are proved when Frisky runs quickly through the wood towards us.

“We’re being attacked!” Without any hesitation Astral jumped on Frisky’s back.

“Stay here.” He orders.

“You’re joking.” I say.

“I said. STAY. HERE.” With a gust of wind they fly up zooming away.

“God. Does he even know me?” I start sprinting back towards the farm. I’m definitely not as fast as Carlos or Kirsten, but I make good time. When I arrive back at the farm, drones are attacking all around. Fires burn brightly against my skin. I look up just in time to see Kirsten get saved from falling to her death by Astral last minute. I then rush into the house when Leon is fighting off a drone. He smashes it to the floor, then looks at me.

“Wonderful day isn’t it?” He asks sarcastically. I roll my eyes, and I grab his wrist.

“Now is not the time.” We rush from the house where we are met by three droids. The aim their guns for Leon, but he quickly takes them out in one large burst of power. “Nice.”

“No problem.” He nods. A drone suddenly appears from behind the house, gun raised at Leon’s head.

“Look out!” I yell as I rush in front of him. My vision goes blurry as a searing pain spreads through my shoulder. Leon rushes to my side, but I hit him in the shoulder. “Go. Now.” I gasp out, and I look to see the drone approaching. My eyes plead to him. Help the others they seem to say. He nods understanding. He rushes off leaving me in the rubble. I fall on my back and look up in the sky to see Astral and Kirsten once more. They are arguing.

Typical.

I dont exactly know how it happens, but suddenly I find myself yelling at them in my head.

New power. Interesting.

The droid now floats above me, a syringe connected to its robotic arm. It places the cold needle in my neck, and I feel the world start to spin.

Darkness.

Survive somehow. Please.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 am
Snoops says...

Carlos.

The sounds of fighting were growing louder, and Kirsten sprung up.
"I'm going down to check it out. Stay there." Kirsten told me.
Kirsten jumped through the skylight and dropped into Matt's room below us.
“Kirsten! I'm supposedly the man! Okay okay, I know we can have stories about girls saving boys, I mean, guys want to damsel in distress too sometimes...but come on, I can breath fire and become invisible! Lemme help!!!!! Kirsten...and she can't hear me..great...that means she can't see me either so here I come, trouble!” I shouted. “Who am I even talking to?”
“Well, I enjoyed the one way conversation.” Behind me was a man about double my size wearing only black and a ski mask covering his head.
“Oh fudge cakes” I muttered. One of his biceps was bigger than my entire head. Instinctively, I started to walk backwards. Keeping my eyes on the giant bulldog man in front of me. “Umh...sup? It's nice and sunny out here right? Yeah, I love the sun...keeps the vitamin D at our side...” I said, trying to distract him. Jumping off the roof would insure my death and Matt's room was on the other side- bang. The back of my head hit something as hard as a rock and because I'm so dam lucky...it was another one of the bulldog bodyguards. He covered my mouth with his hand and came closer to my ear.
“Got you, subject 009” my skin shivered in disgust as all the memories from the labs came back to me. The pills, the surgeries, the vaccines, the testing, the pain, the screams come from every corner of the building. I wouldn't go back. Not now, not ever. I bit his hand so hard I could taste the blood in my mouth. His grip loosened and I managed to rip his hand off me, running towards the middle of the roof. I wouldn't go back. I wouldn't go back. The only thing I wanted was to get out of here. My mind wouldn't stop buzzing and I couldn't think.
“Don't be scared. Your Papa is there waiting for you.”
I started walking towards the edge of the roof without stopping and I jumped. I could feel my hair wave in the wind as I descended down. I would rather die than go back. And then he grabbed me by my hair. Just before I was out of reach, bulldog number two grabbed a fistful of my hair and pushed me back up. I don't know if I screamed out of pain or horror of where I was going next. He threw me on to the roof and my head banged against the tiles. I felt a small prick in my neck before everything went black.
"Keep calm, drink tea and hide under the bedcovers"

Previously Lau2001

45 Reviews

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 pm
Europa says...

Leon Rhett

I heard someone thundering down the stairs and quickly set the plate I had been cleaning down and snatched a kitchen knife from the knife block. When I saw it was only Kir I casually pretended to dry it.

"Someone's coming!" She shouted.

Against my better judgement, I set the knife down on the counter by the plate. It's not like I'd use it anyway.

Kirsten and I stood side by side, watching the shadows moving around on the other side of the door.

The next instant the door was thrown open and the room was filled with armed sodiers. One grabbed me around the neck and I disappeared, re-forming on the other side of the room. Someone screamed and Kirsten went rigid, looking at me, and them back up at the roof.

I started to tell her to go, but the wind was knocked out of me as a soldier threw me to the ground. I wheezed, trying to get air back into my lungs as the slodier hauled me to my feet. Kir was being held by her braid by a large woman, the barrel of a gun pressed to the back of her head.

I shouted, fighting desperately against the soldier holding me, but more joined him and soon they had me overpowered, immobilized as the woman about to shoot Kir curled her finger around the trigger.

No. Not Kirsten. I won't let them hurt her. Not ever.

Energy thrummed through my body like a dark heartbeat. I could feel the magic coursing through me tainting my vision red...

Before I could blow anything up, Kir snatched the kinfe form the counter and slashed the braid from her head, leaving the woman holding a limp length of black hair. Kirsten whirled on her, and began to attack.

"No, Kir! Get out of here! Help your friend!"

"But--"

"That wasn't a suggestion, Kirsten! Go!"

She looked me in the eye, her gaze softening.
"Stay safe Leon. I love you."

Kir leapt throug a skylight, and was resumed my fight with the soldiers. Gathering up as much enerygy as I could, I let loose a blast of darkness, throwing the soldiers off of me. I heard the roar of motors, and the soldiers retreated as a small army of drones crashed through the windows.

"Oh, wonderful!" I yelled to no one in particular. A drone felw right at me, and I shot it from the air with a blast of black magic.

I ducked as another one swooped over my head, and narrowly avoided being shot right through the heart.

There's no way I can win this fight. There're too many. I'll just have to try and make it outside without getting shot or blown up.

I grabbed a drone out of the air just as the front door banged open.

I smashed the droid on the ground and turned to face whoever had come through the door.

Scarlette.

"Lovely day, isn't it?" I shouted over the droids.

Great, now I'm making jokes? What is it with this girl and making me act wired?

Scarlette grabbed me by the wrist. "Now really isn't the time."

You've got that right. I thought as she pulled me from the house and out into the fields.
Three droids are waiting for us.

I waste no time. Soon, all three droids are engulfed in a shockwave if black magic.

"Nice." Scarlette nods.

"Not a problem."

I never noticed the drone behind me until Scar shouted "Look out!"

I turn just in time to see her rush in front of me and the drone firing.
Scarlette taking a bullet that should have been mine.

I ran to her as she started to fall, but she pushed me back. "Go. Now." She gasped.

I could see the plea in her eyes. She wanted me to save her friends.

I hesitated a moment before running off, leaving her behind.

Suddenly, a deafening bang rocked the valley, and I looked back to see a storm of flames rushing towards me. I spurred myself faster, my breath catching in my throat as I ran farther away from the house and the explosion, but the shockwave caught me, throwing me off my feet as fire and burning debris tore through my body.

I landed heavily just outside the range of the blast, miraculously still alive. The burns stung, blood wet mostly every inch of my body.

I could feel my consciousness slipping.
Through the smoke, I saw the blurry outline of a man bend over me, reaching out to grab me.

It was the last thing I saw before everything was lost in an impenetrable blackness.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:20 pm
View Likes
Snoops says...

I woke up on the hard ground. My feet feeling numb from coldness- they had taken all my clothes, leaving me only with a white shirt and trousers both with the numbers 009 on them. Just like before but the clothes were bigger and new, as if they always expected me to come back.
“Got you, 009” his voice echoed in my head. He did have me. Locked up again in the same tiny cell as before but this time alone. There weren't any screams coming from the corners of the building like before, just silence, and now I didn't know what was worse. Obviously, most of the subjects had either been killed or thrown away like we had. Why not kill us like the rest? Why keeps us just to bring us back to this hell hole? I pushed myself up by the bars, partially because it was too dark to see anything and partially because my body still wanted to go back to sleep. Holding myself up, I carefully walked around, feeling the room out with my hands. Touching the small holes and creases and wondering who else slept here after I left. I walked over to the bed, felt the thin covers and ripped a piece of it apart. I wouldn't sleep tonight anyway. Sitting back on the floor and placing the ripped fabric down with me, I heated it up with my breath until I had a tiny flame in front of me. I exhaled on it again, lighting the fire even more. Sitting there alone, made me think of everyone. Made me think of the way Scar always had bright blonde hair without one tangle even though we hadn't had a shower in months, about Kir and her protectiveness over everyone, about Ty and his unwillingness to relax, about Matt and his determination, Leon and his love for his sister and even Astral and his funny way of talking sometimes. I missed all of them. What could of happened? Would they be stuck in a different lab? Did they escape or did they... I couldn't finish my own question. The thought of it made me sick to my bones. They had to of escaped. Right now they were all together and safe cuddled up by the fireplace or some other nostalgic scene where there okay and not in body bags. That's when I heard a loud scream. In an instant I knew it was Matt and I didn't know if I felt relived that he was alive or angry that they had gotten him too.
“Matt! Matt! Matt!” I screamed. Standing up and running to the bars of the cell, shaking them uncontrollably, “Matt! I'm over here! Can you hear me? Matt?” the scream stopped and I could see two guards running towards me with a needle. As I backed away to the other side of the room, the scientists opened the cell door and came closer.
“Hey...it's okay...this isn't going to hurt...come here..” it was like they were talking to a frightened animal, and in there eyes, I probably was. The taller one grabbed me by my neck while the brown haired one injected me in my arm.
“No! No! Don't make me go back to sleep! Please! Please!” Suddenly I knew why Scar used to hate sleeping. At this moment, it was the most obvious thing around. Sleep is terrifying. The held me down, pushing me against the floor, my screaming becoming slurred and my eyes hazy. In seconds, I was gone.
"Keep calm, drink tea and hide under the bedcovers"

Previously Lau2001

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:34 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral Venceworth

The wind brushed over the plain, stirring the clouds of soot that had once been a sanctuary. Astral leaned against a blackened doorpost, surveying the farmhouse’s charred skeleton. The roof had collapsed completely, giving the cracked remains a broken, entrapping look.

Like a ribcage, Astral mused. His gaze came to rest upon the center of the rubble. And she is the heart.

Kirsten was kneeling in the ashes, head down, not saying a word. God knows what torment was running through her mind; of course, that meant that Astral would know, wouldn’t it?

Astral pushed off of the doorpost, wiping the ash from his back. Shielding his eyes against the sun, he looked out onto the horizon. A silver lion was loping across the green meadows, searching for survivors.

Astral didn’t expect him to find anything.

Sighing, he walked over to Kirsten, who had now buried her face in her hands. Taking a heaving breath, she rifled her fingers through her ebony hair, distraught tremors wracking her body.

Making one footstep a little louder than he needed to, Astral stood beside her calmly. “Interesting tactic,” he observed, leaning down, “but I doubt that’s how medicinal ashes work.”

Kirsten’s baleful eyes glared up at him, like two storming suns. Astral returned it with his own yellow, cat-like gaze. “Are you planning on doing this all day?” he continued innocently, scooping some grey flakes of soot from the ground and letting them sift from his grasp. “It’s a bit loose compared to clay, but I suppose I can see its charm.”

“They’re gone.” Kirsten’s voice was cracked from all her screaming. Unlike with Scarlette, Astral felt no compulsion to give her water.

“That they are,” he agreed, rubbing his chin and turning to look onto the horizon. “It’s quite a setback. We can’t do much if we’re apart.” He shrugged, then sighed.

A low growl caused him to glance behind him. Kirsten was slowly getting to her feet, shaking with anger. “Do you even care?” she spat lividly.

Astral folded his arms, smirking. “Of course I do; why wouldn’t I? I’m your leader, after-”

He stopped short on that note, tripping over his words. No, this wasn’t going to work. Only a fool would employ a failed tactic. Remembering Scarlette’s words, he coughed into his fist. “...Erm, what I meant to say, is that yes, I do care. About all of you.”

He gasped slightly as hands seized his collar, pulling him forward. “Don’t you lie to me!” Kirsten snapped. “I’ve been through enough of this crap to know just what you are. You’re not human. You’re not a god. You’re just an entitled prick who thinks he can run everything.”

Astral’s brow creased, half concern and half annoyance. “Now, now…”

“And do you know what the worst part is?” Kirsten continued, gripping him tighter. “Scar, of all people, thinks you’re one of us. Do you understand? Even when she thought she was a monster, beyond saving, she still saw something good in you!

“You!” she yelled, stabbing a finger into Astral’s chest. “You almost killed Ty, you shot Carlos, crippled Matthew and kidnapped Scarlette! You did it all! And you’re still here while Carlos and Leon are dead!”

Astral put a bit more force behind his voice. “Kirsten, I don’t think-”

Kirsten glared up at him, red-rimmed eyes willing him to die. “You never cared. Not about me, not Ty-”

“Kirsten-”

“Not Carlos, not Leon, not Matt-”

“Kirsten!”

“And certainly not Scarlette,” Kirsten finished bitterly.

It was her reflexes that saved her life. Astral’s fist shot forth, and came smashing down where she stood, pulverizing the earth beneath it. Kirsten leaped to the side, eyes wide. “What-”

A spin kick connected with her ribs, sending her crashing to the edge of the crater. Astral dashed forward, raising a leather shoe over her prone body.

Kirsten rolled out of the way as Astral stomped forward, each footstep slamming down with deadly force. She sprang to her feet as another punch erupted the ground, and she flipped backwards as a murderous hook nearly caught her in the head.

Skidding backwards, she looked up at Astral. “What the-” She froze, blanching.

Astral’s face was contorted in a mask of pure rage.

Roaring, he charged forward, and Kirsten barely got her hands up in time. A golden grenade shot from her palms, spiralling towards Astral. It exploded against his chest, sending up a cloud of obscuring smoke. A second later, Astral burst from the cloud, the blackened air peeling from his skin.

He seized Kirsten by the collar, hoisting her off of the ground. His fingers twitched with bloodlust, and his vision was slowly dyed red. He opened his mouth in a snarl.

And realized, simply, that what he was trying to say and what he was doing were two very different things.

His grip popped open, and Kirsten dropped to the ground. Astral dashed his angry expression with his hands, staggering backwards. The rage receded as he relaxed, releasing the emotion with a hot breath. “Please...forgive me,” he said, eventually, quietly.

“No.”

Astral sighed.

“Excusame? Ah you two Americans?”

Astral and Kirsten snapped their heads at the sound of a very racist joke. A Chinese boy stood in front of them, clad in a red silk shirt, with black sweatpants.

“Ni hao! My name is Yin-Yin!” The boy made a peace sign over one squinting eye. “Can you help me wiz somezing?” He measured every word out in a bad Chinese accent.

Astral glanced to Kirsten, who sarcastically bowed and gestured for him to go first. Rolling his eyes, he walked up to Yin-Yin. Strange, he thought. Isn't Friskington still out searching? Rolling his sleeve up, he checked his watch. Frisky's tracking blip was a little farther out, but still close by. All good, as far as he could tell.

Looking up, he could see Yin-Yin still staring curiously.

“What do you need?” he asked, courteous and cold.

Yin-Yin bowed profusely. “Oh, zank you, sir! Zank you, zank you!” Giving his hands a flourish, he grinned up at Astral, who was resisting every urge to slap the boy’s teeth out.

“You see,” Yin-Yin began, “I wondering if you help me find a friend of mine.” His beady eyes shot wide, revealing pitch-black orbs with crimson pupils. “He is called Leon!”

Astral stumbled back, eyes widening. “Shi-”

Shadows burst from the earth, forming a blade that sliced his arms as he fell. “Yin-Yin” shoved his hands in his pockets, grinning. Tapping his chin, he put on a thoughtful look, and his accent disappeared. “Also, I’d like some fried rice, if you have any.”

Astral flipped from the ground, skidding backwards. “Blak!” he shouted.

Kirsten didn’t miss a beat, dashing forward. Encasing her hands in a golden aura, she swung at the advancing tide of blackness. Her punch carved through the shadows, driving them back. Blak flung a spear of darkness towards her; she shattered it, driving through with a two-handed hammer strike.

Blak cursed as Kirsten’s fists connected with his head, and was immediately blindsided by a lightning kick. Flying backwards, he pulsed his hands into the ground, and the shadows surged up, becoming liquid.

“How are you still alive?!” Kirsten yelled, dashing forward.

Blak raised a finger, and the ebony tide swamped forth, smashing her away. “Let’s just say I’ve had a change of heart. And brain. And - you know what, I changed bodies. Happy?” A flood of blades burst from the shadows, driving Kirsten further back.

Astral stopped short, an idea striking him. “Change of brain…” He turned to his comrade. “Kirsten!” he shouted. “I have a plan! Break his defense on my side, on the count of three!”

She picked herself up and ran at Blak again. Astral could only assume she’d heard him.

“One!” he yelled, steeling his mind. This plan was risky enough if it succeeded; he could only hope it even got that far.

“Two!” he shouted, running towards Blak. His feet whisked him forward, dodging the tendrils that snapped at his ankles. He could see Blak turning, curious, as he approached.

“Three!” He yelled, leaping forward. He saw the blackness cascade backwards, and hope filled his heart. The silver-haired god reached his hand forward, ready to conquer Blak once and for all.

The shadows bounced back up and struck him down.

Blood burst from Astral’s mouth as he hit the earth. Faintly, he could hear Kirsten yelling as she walloped an onslaught of shadow, only to get punched in the gut by a sneaky fist. She hadn’t heard him; or at least, hadn’t listened. Either way, his plan had failed.

Astral pushed strength into his legs, staggering to his feet. Blak grinned widely while the ebony veil behind him attacked Kirsten.

“Hey, hey,” Blak chirped, slipping his hands into his pockets. “You still rocking that king shtick, As-hat?”

“Not a king,” Astral grunted, clenching his fist in some semblance of pride, “but a god…”

Blak broke into harsh laughter, clutching his sides as the shadows whirled around him. “Oh, that’s precious! And just when I thought you couldn’t get any crazier…” He wiped a tear of laughter from his eye. “A god? Seriously! You really never learn, do you?”

Astral coughed up more blood, his vision dimming. “Laugh...while you can…” His regeneration wasn’t working quickly, but he could feel it, like an electric current running beneath his skin.

Blak rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Although, I’m Chinese, so I guess that makes me a Buddhist…”

“Stop.”

“Never,” Blak replied. The darkness began to wrap around his fist, forming the head of a monstrous dragon. Blak grinned as he thrust the entity forward. “Stereotype Drive: Blak-Fu Dragon!”

The shadow shot from his hands, snaking towards Astral. The dragon opened its maw wide, roaring as it charged, growing in intensity. With no time to dodge, Astral braced himself as the darkness flooded over him, dousing the light.

His muscles relaxed, and he began to sink into a black that bubbled around him, snatching at his mind.

Did he seriously just name his attack? he thought.

I should do that.

Those were his last conscious thoughts as he drifted into the darkness.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

45 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:47 am
Europa says...

Blak

He pranced through the ash, humming a dapper and slightly off-key tune as he went. Behind him, the girl thrashed within the shadows cocooning her, muffled yells sounding from the inside of the snare.

Blak chuckled. Little Kirsten's powers were strong, but there was only so much darkness she could defeat on her own. He knelt down, leaning over the dark cocoon.

"Do you plan on doing that the whole way there?" He inquired snidely. "I doesn't take a genius like your little buddy Astral to guess that you can't escape this time, Little Hero."

Through a small slit in the shadow, he could see one of Kirsten's eyes glaring up at him.

He felt a small chuckle bubble up from his chest. Those eyes hid so much. Much more power than even she realized.

A power he could use.

He gave the girl a smirk and turned away from her. The shadows pooling around his feet detached from him, forming a foggy black portal.

"Come on, then. Follow me!"
Laughing hysterically at his own joke, Blak jumped into the murky depths of the dark portal, dragging Kirsten through with him.

They emerged in the infirmary wing of the base. The lights of the military stronghold had all been extinguished, even the light of the sun seemed to be dimmed. The soldiers and scientists who hadn't been killed had long since fled, leaving the Heroes former safehouse at the mercy of Blak.

"Here we are. A cozy place, but It does get lonely sometimes." Blak smirked, propping Kirsten against the wall. The cacoon melted away from her face, spider-webbing its way onto the wall and binding Kirten there along with it.

Blak sat on one of the beds, leaning back on his hands.

Kirsten leered back at him, hair hanging in her face.
"Well, here you are, monster. You have me at your mercy." She spat, obviously not daunted by the truth of her words.

Blak nodded in agreement. "Very true, Hero."

"But why me?" She demanded, he saw no fear in her golden eyes.

The demon chuckled. "Stright to the point, just like your brother. Well to put it simply, you have something I want."

Kirsten scoffed. "What? What could I possibly have that's important enough for you?"

Blak stood, striding over to where Kirsten hung. He slipped a finger under her chin, and lifted her head so her gaze met his cold demonic stare.

"And what would be the fun of telling you? I like to keep my audience guessing. The only thing I'll reveal to you is this:"

His smirk contorted into a twisted grin.

"There's more to you than meets the eye. More than you can see in yourself."

Kirsten laughed, the bitter sound echoing through the empty base.

She stared at him with narrowed eyes, a slight glint of madness sparking in her golden gaze.

"Oh really? Did you figure that one out all by yourself?"

Blak suddenly realized why Astral found this girl so annoying. Perhaps he should have taken the boy instead after all...

With a jerk of his hand the cocoon of shadow was ripped away and Kirsten dropped to the ground, her palms already glowing.

"Oh, we'll have none of that."

Before Kirsten could react, shadows leaped form the ground, entering the girl's body in black ripples.
The light faded from her hands Kirsten fell to her knees, a shocked look frozen on her face as she shuddered violently, choking on her agony.

Blak loomed over her, glowering.
"No screaming this time? How disappointing."

He kicked her over onto her side, Kirsten's body began to pulsate with black light and the tremors intensified until she was writhing silently on the floor,clawing at he sides as black liquid leaked from her mouth.

Blak picked her up by the throat and slammed her against the wall.

"Do you see now, Little Hero?" He spat.
"You're as weak as your brother. The only reason you're alive is because of the potential you hold. If you're interested in staying alive,"

He dropped her onto the floor. The girl had stopped shaking, and Blak called the shadows back. Kirsten's body relaxed, but she continued to glower at him, her eyes dimming as she slowly slipped into unconsciousness. Blak turned from away from her.

"Then I suggest you don't disappoint me."

And with that, he swept from the infirmary, letting the door slam shut behind him.
Last edited by Europa on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

15 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:36 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

"Scarlette it's time to wake up!" I jolt awake from the banging on the door. I look over at the alarm clock on my bed side table.

"Matt. Are you kidding me? It's 8:30am on a Saturday!" I throw myself back into my blankets, and cover my face with a pillow. He bangs on the door again. "Go away!"

"Scarlette. Kirsten called me, because apparently your phone is off. That's the only reason I'm bugging you before 11:30 today." He laughs. "Now get up and turn on your phone ya weirdo!" I hear his footsteps walk off down the hallway. I sit up slowly, and grab my phone sitting next to my clock.

3 missed calls from Kirsten

Crap.

I push the redial button, and wait as the rings echo through my ears.

"Scarlette! Problem!" Kirsten yells through the phone.

"Wha! Kirsten!Calm the voices it's before 9! What is it?" I rub my eyes, and yawn. She's rambling, and I quickly lose what she is trying to explain. "Repeat that?" Kirsten sighs loudly.

"Date. Tonight. Nothing to wear. Mall. Now!" She says frustrated. My eyes go wide, and I sit up quickly.

"Hernandez finally asked you out?" I ask excitedly.

"Yup. Last night. I was super casual about it, and then I woke up this morning. Scar I'm freaking out." I hear a banging echo from the other line. "Shut up Leon! I'm having a mid teen crisis!" I laugh.

"I'll be there soon." I hang up the phone, and rush around my room getting ready for the day. I pass through me and Matt's tiny kitchen on my way torwards the door. Matt looks up from his coffee, but I already know his question. "It's a girl thing. See ya later! Love you!" After a full day of shopping, hating, and buying we finally managed to find her the "perfect" outfit. We're heading outside of the store when a tall figure slams into me.

"Hey! Watch where you're-" I stop once I see his hair.

Silver. Cool.

"Sorry my bad." He says.

"Oh it's cool. Uh...nice hair by the way."

"Oh thanks. Names Astral." He holds his hand out to me, and I shake it.

"Scarlette." I look down at the bag in his hand. Inside is a small stuffed lion. He sees me notice the lion and laughs.

"For my cousins birthday. Old one kind of got shredded so I decided to fix it...anyways sorry to bore you with those details." He laughs. "Hey it was nice to meet you again. Sorry about running into you." He walks off.

"Wow. I think that's the most you've ever talked to a boy." Kirsten says. I hit her on the shoulder, and we both start laughing. We quickly walk torwards the car, but the moment I step in the world goes black.

"Kirsten?" Memories rush back, and I see everything. The tests, the murders, the island, the kidnapping, the torture, the friendship, the farm, the attack. Everything. "Kirsten!" At first the cries are soft, but they progressively grow louder. Crying, and screaming. Both in sadness, and agony. "Kirsten! Where are you!" I cover my ears, but it's no help. Screams everywhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Ah!" My eyes snap open, and reality rushes back. Sweat drips from my forehead, and my hands are bound above my head. I pull at them with all my might but it's no use. "What the heck is going on?" I struggle more, but they simply don't budge.

"You might as well give up now. I've tried everything. By the way. Welcome back." I look up through the darkness to see Leon. He isn't smiling and his hands are bound above his head as well. "They must have used some type of serum to weaken our power usage. That must have been the needle they injected us with. There's no escaping...for now."

"What? Like kryptonite? Where even are we?" I ask.

"I think underground." He looks up.

"How do you know?"

"The smell."

"Where is everyone?"

"Scarlette I don't know. Look I'm as lost as you are. For now we simply have to wait, and then the next step."

"And that is?" I ask.

"Coming up with an escape plan."

45 Reviews

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:12 am
Europa says...

Leon Rhett

The only thing I saw around me was darkness. As I slowly swept through the emptyness surrounding me, I strained to see or hear anything.

Nothing. Not even the sound of my own footsteps.

The darkness in front of me thinned a little, and I saw the pale outline of a person making his way towards me. Once he was close enough, I realized that was all the person was. A shadow. The only thing visible of his face were the two glowing red slits that were his eyes.

Blak.

I stumbled back, my heart speeding up in my chest.

Had he come back for me?

Blak's slow chuckle echoed through the nothingness.

"Leon. It's been far too long. I'd ask how you were doing, but given the circumstances..."

"What do you want?" I demanded, forcing myself to hold his gaze.

"Oh, just a little chat. You see, unlike your friends, I know for a fact that you are very much alive, Leon. And I have some good news!"

a circle of light widened beside him, and scene began forming inside it. Kirsten, bound in shadows on the floor of some building, weakly struggling against the ropes of darkness trapping her.

"So is your sister." Blak smirked.

"What have you done!" I roared, charging the shadow. I struck out, but Blak merely shifted his form, slipping slightly out of reach as I continued to attack, only to strike empty air every time.

Blak disappeared, his cruel laughter echoing around the landscape of nothingness.
The circle of light remained, growing weaker and smaller. I ran at it and burst into the scene.

It was the Infirmary.
Kirsten lay on the ground, wrapped in tendrils of darkness. She was completly still now, her face contorted in pain as the tendrils tightenned, some disappered into her body and she shivered as the skin around it darkeded to a thin vein of black.

"Kirsten!" It came out as barely a whisper.
She didn't even look up. I reached out to touch her but my hand only passed thorugh her.

"Kir. Please, hold on..." I begged as the scene began to fade.

"Hold on..."

I woke to a dark, unfamiliar room. It was cool, and smelled of earth.

I'm somewhere undergorund, then.

Everything hurt. The scientists had stitched up the worst of the wounds, but the ache from the gashes and the sting from the burns were still agonising.

I tried to turn and get a better look at the room, but I was jerked abruptly to a stop. I looked up and saw why. My hands were shackled above me, attached to the ceiling by a long chain.

Not a problem.

I forced myself to focus through the pain, willing my form to dissolve into smoke.

Nothing happened.

"What--?"

I strained my fingers until I was touching the locks on one of my shackles, and passed it over the keyhole.

I heard no click of the lock opening.

Feeling slightly sick, I frantically felt for the magic, forcing the energy up to my hands.

Still nothing.

What did they do to me?

My question was answered by the small puncture wound in my arm. It had been lost among my other injuries, and it was only then that I noticed it.

They must have given us a serum that shuts off our powers.

There was a sound of chains rattling and a familiar voice began shouting Kirsten's name.

Scarlette?

I turned as much as my bonds would allow me, and there she was, asleep.

With a final scream, she snapped awake, but continued to struggle. Of course it was no use.

"What the heck is going on?"

I shook my head, and looked back to the front of the room.

"You might as well give up now."

Of course. That's our only option...for now.

The image of Kirsten, trapped under Blak's shadows, rose in my minds eye.

I'll escape soon. And I'll come for you.

I'll save you, Kirsten.

Even if it kills me.

15 Reviews

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:03 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

It’s been a week since the attack on the farm. A week since I was captured, and Leon and I have not gotten any closer to escaping. We’re under constant surveillance, and scientists enter our cell almost every hour. They collect blood samples, interrogate us, and they inject us with unknown substances. It’s a constant cycle of tests that are making us weaker by the day. Leon however, is doing much better than me. The infection from my arm is spreading much faster. My entire right arm is covered in these dark blue veins, my skin is turning a dull gray color from the lack of blood circulation, and I’ve had fever fits for the past couple of days. The scientists are curious as to why I am not dead. I feel like I am sometimes.

My heart is broken, and I’m so angry. All the people I care most about in this world are most likely dead, and I can’t do anything to save the last person like me. Leon is trying his best to stay positive, but even I can the fire in his eyes begin to die down. He’s losing hope too. We both know that the longer we're stuck here is another day our friends could be dying. I don’t even have the heart to grieve anymore, and it's taking its toll on me. At night I think I can hear all their voices screaming in my mind. I once thought I even saw Astral pass the window of our cell. I must be losing my mind. I’m forgetting things, and everything is hazy. It's like the sickness is taking everything from me. My power, my thoughts. Everything.

“You need to eat. You have to keep your strength up.” Leon looks at me from across the room. His eyes are dark, and his tone is serious. I look at the small sandwich sitting next to me on a silver tray.

“And throw it all up later? I’m fine.” I say.

“No you’re not. If we’re ever going to get out of here you need to get better.”

“Nothing’s working Leon. They’ve tried every antibiotic. They dont know what the infection is, or how to treat it.”

“Damn Astral.” He spits.

“It isn’t his fault and you know that…It could have easily been Kirsten too. Both of them weren’t themselves in that moment.”

“I know...I just wish Kirsten was here, because I know she could heal you.” He sighs. “I can’t watch you die anymore.”

“I know...And we don't know if her power could do that Leon. We don't even know what this is.”

“But all of our powers are connected Scarlette. If Astral’s power gave you the infection. Kirsten’s could take it away.”

“Leon we don't even know if-”

“No! Don't. Say. It.” He interrupts me. “My sister is alive. I can feel it...and she will help you when we find her.”

“I’m sorry...I just want you to promise me something.”

“Stop right there. Don’t you dare start making me the death promises. We’re going to get out of here, and we’re going to get you help. Got it?”

“Leon-” The lock on the door beeps interrupting me, alerting us that someone is entering. Both of our gazes turn towards the door, but instead of the same scientist faces we are used to we are greeted by a young girl. Someone who looks our age.

“Well, well. If it isn't the famous Scarlette Fawn, and Leon Rhett. I’ve heard a lot about you both. In fact all of your team is pretty famous around here.”

“Who are you?” Leon asks.

“Well…” She walks towards him. “Lets just say I’m no one good.” She then walks towards me, and bends down. “There is so much emotion in you. It's pathetic how much you let it consume you at night.”

“Don’t pretend like you know what I’m going through, or how I feel.” I clench my teeth.

“Aw feisty. I like it.” She grabs my arm tightly. “What a shame. I really hope you don't die. One less “hero” could cause problems for us.”

“We’re all alive? And for whom?”

“Oops I guess I wasn’t supposed to tell you that.” She smiles maliciously. “All answers will be answered in the near future. Hopefully you live long enough to see it. And by the way. Thanks.” My eyes go wide as I hear my own voice resonate from her throat when she says thanks. Leon looks just as shocked as me. “This should help me in the long run.

“You...you sound like me?”

I know. Goodbye Heroes.” Her voice transforms back to normal. “We’ll meet again.” She turns and winks at Leon, and waves at me.

“This isn’t good.” Leon says.

“No it's not... We need to get out of here. And soon.”

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar