Abhorrent

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:37 am
FadingBrighter says...

From Above

This is not a gentle world.
Then again, it never was.

Though the organization Radiance maintains peace on the sky city Vivarion, those dictated unworthy are forced to live on the floating island’s underbelly- the Grey zone.
There, the city is rife with energy- anxious youths itching for freedom and fighting one another in order to thinly grasp at some pre-established sense of purpose.
Live. Fight. Die.

These are the iron rules of the new world. They hold true for some more than others. In the Grey zone, everyday life
And then there are the Abhorrents. Beings with the appearance of man but with powers that threaten the stability of Radiance and all it stands for.
One day, you discover you are one of these Abhorrents.
Whisked away and sent to the surface, you discover the cruel truth behind Vivarion and the lies Radiance has fed you since the moment of your birth.
The surface is indeed habitable. But only by those strong enough to survive the decaying metropolises of long lost civilizations and the monsters that lurk there. Other Abhorrants, each like yourself thrive within the darkness - gifted with extraordinary speed and strength as well as other unique abilities.
A battle system where the winner gets to survive and the loser is left to starve.
Rewards for destroying the deformed Beta creatures that roam the city's outskirts.
And all are ruled by Regis, master of this strange domain- a figure shrouded in mystery.
From Below

Things are unchanging here in the shadows.

But maybe it is better that way.

Every day is a challenge- at any moment you could be the next body to grace the sky with ash, no more than a smudge beneath the vastness of clouds and grime.
This is how it has always been.
The only way to survive in this world is to fight to become the strongest. The more battles you win, the better the perks. If you fail to succeed, you will disappear along with the innumerable masses. It is a dog eats dog world, but its the only world you've ever known.
Live.FightDie

These are the rules that govern this fragile excuse for a society, and no one is above these laws. All are equal in life as they are in death- the Regis is not one to take pity on the weak.
And yet, within this endless grey, something seems to be changing, and a sense of doom hangs in the air. Will you be able to survive the oncoming storm?
Live.

A new world, a new life thrust upon you. Only challenges lie ahead.
Fight.

Abhorrents run rampant here, some stronger than others. Survival means being the strongest.
Die.

But, if you’re lucky, you might still have a chance at survival.

RULES
*Please send me your profile before posting to the storybook.
*LANGUAGE IS ALLOWED, however, only if the later part of the curse is starred, as to be respectful of other readers
*Please, no sexual content. Kissing, hugging, holding hands- that's all well and good. BUT SEXUAL CONTENT OF ANY SORT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
*No God-moding. For each character's ability, there should be a draw back. In other words, the stronger the ability, the more qualifications it should require to be able to use it.
*The DT is your friend. Once we get a few submissions for the storybook, I will create a DT thread where we can discuss our plans for the storybook. A good DT can make or break a story, so please make use of it. Your opinion is valued.
*I will leave the length of each post up to you, but please do not post twice in a row. The general rule will be one in two- you can post again only after two other authors have submitted. That way, everyone has an opportunity.
*HAVE FUN!

Link to the DT:
Abhorrent

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
Image:(Preferably anime)
[color=#008040]Name[/color]:
[color=#008080]Gender[/color]:
[color=#0080BF]Appearence[/color]:
[color=#0080FF]Romance?[/color]:
[color=#00BF80]Personality[/color]:
[color=#00BFBF]Background[/color]:(Vivarion or the Surface?)
[color=#00BFFF]Likes[/color]:
[color=#00FFBF]Dislikes[/color]:
[color=#808080]Ability[/color]:(Special ability as well as strengths in battle)
[color=#00FFFF]Song[/color]:(optional)
Last edited by FadingBrighter on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Omnia mutantur, nihil interit (everything changes, nothing perishes).”
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:45 pm
FadingBrighter says...

~~~~~YUREI~~~~~

“…take…”
The voice came to me as if through heavy static. Everything around me was pale, colorless, immemorable. I floated there in pallid darkness, body sinking even as I drifted through unconsciousness as if floating atop a pool of water.
“Don’t…”
Through the emptiness there rose up a sudden feeling, a choking emotion that broke through my weary drifting, bubbling up from deep within me.
Melancholy. Regret.
“…keep…”
I opened my eyes, lazily stretching out my arms above me as I released a long yawn. The gentle glow of evening filtered through the window, casting long shadows in the small room. Daiki looked up from the book he was reading as I slowly sat up, attempting to force my way from the last dreary cobwebs of sleep.
“Is something the matter?’ He asked. I didn’t respond. Instead, I lazily leaned forward and cupped my chin in my hand, gazing at the doorway on the opposite side of the room, attempting to recall the dream that, upon the moment of my awakening, had slipped from my mind- leaving only a sense of lethargy and emptiness.
Daiki said nothing, simply closing his book and leaning back in his chair, gazing at me without a word. He’d wait until I was ready to speak- no matter how long that was.
As the dull coppery glow faded into darkness, I finally released a long low breath, running my hand across my face.
“It was that same dream.” I stated, though he’d probably already guessed. Daiki nodded, gaze unwavering. I’d been having this same dream for as long as I could remember. I knew it was the same, for every time I awoke it felt as if my chest were about to burst, as if every nerve in my being had been plucked like a violin string- leaving me vibrating chaotically. And upon trying to recall it, I felt… murky, as if I were gazing through gritty water.
“Should we go?” Daiki asked knowingly. I nodded. I didn’t want to stay still any longer. I had to move, had to distract myself.
Standing, I slipped into my sneakers and made for the door, stepping into the waking darkness and heading towards the city of Vivarion’s dark underbelly- deep into the heart of the Grey zone.
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 am
Chaser says...

Richter

“I’m...dying…” Those were the first words out of my mouth.

“Hey!” Her voice rang through the morning air as she ran back down the road towards me, her blond twintails bouncing, and her white dress flowing in the wind. I couldn’t help but smile at her boundless energy, despite the burning pain slowly inflaming my arms.

“Come on, Rick,” she huffed as she neared. “We’re gonna be late!”

Every step felt like agony as I trudged uphill. “And...whose fault is that?”

She grinned, shining in the sunlight. “Details don’t matter. Now come on, put your back into it!” Easy for her to say. Travelling up the roads of Vivarion, up to my neck in shopping bags of all sorts; that was a punishment more horrid than death. The morning sun burned into my dark hair, addling my mind further. And all she was carrying was a purse.

Vivarion had some pretty steep roads, too. It was a city organized in levels, which were a pain to move between. Far beneath us lay the bustling shopping district, where we had come from, and high above us was the business sector, where we were headed. It was still a long way up.

Reluctantly, I doubled my pace, falling into step with her. “But was it really necessary to purchase twenty legs of ham, Madame?” I asked, trying my hardest to ignore the pain.

She frowned, gazing forward. “Of course it was. You know how Daddy’s bosses get. I mean, they’re sort of pigs themselves.” She giggled, then turned back to me sternly. “And how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Tsubaki when we’re alone.”

I bowed apologetically. “Sorry, Madame.”

Tsubaki cuffed me playfully over the head. “Enough with the ‘Madame’ already. You’re not that much older than me, don’t act so grown-up! Besides, Richter,” she blushed, averting her gaze. “You don’t have to be so formal because you’re my butler.”

I felt my cheeks burning, and quickly concluded that the heat was getting to me. Breaking away, I took a moment to admire the clouds. The weather was lovely. So was the sun. So was Tsubaki-

Cheeks flushed crimson, I tripled my pace, leaving Tsubaki scrambling to catch up. The pain had long been forgotten, and I desperately tried to take my mind off of my master. My loving master, whose side I had stood by for as long as I could remember. Even then, thoughts of her flooded my conscience.

I quickly recollected myself, using the technique handed down through many butlers before me. Clear your mind. Focus.

My name was Richter Hellsing, and I was a fifteen-year-old butler in service to Lady Tsubaki Sora. We had lived upon the fair city of Vivarion all our lives. Her father was a high-ranking official of Radiance, Vivarion’s governing body. And today was his birthday. Which was why we had gone all the way down to the shopping district to get him the greatest meal of his life.

There. Everything nice and neat and as it should be. No stray thoughts whatsoever.

Fully calmed down, I stopped and waited as Tsubaki caught up to me. “What’s with you?” she demanded, “You don’t have to take it like that! I...I just don’t want to grow apart from you, that’s all.” She twirled her hair absentmindedly as she spoke.

“Right.” I dismissed her words flusteredly, an odd ripple of disappointment piercing my chest. I redoubled my stride, shoes tapping on the tarmac. “We’d better get a move on if your father still wants a feast for lunch.”

We walked in silence, neither of us daring to say a word. The stillness was equal parts gentle and excruciating. Tsubaki suddenly grabbed my shoulder, pointing. “Look!”

As I turned, I saw an enormous metal bow, plowing its way through the sky just to our right. We watched in amazement as it rose higher, revealing the rest of the airship, parading through the clouds. Seven grand sails and a giant silver hull laced with intricate designs made quite the impression on any who saw the airship voyaging through the morning sky. We were no exception.

Tsubaki raced to the edge of the faded asphalt, smiling and waving to the people crowded on deck. I stood beside her, taking in the surreal sight. Supposedly the airships had been modeled after the pirate ships of old, but such an aesthetic was lost on someone as young as I. Besides, the ancient vessels had sailed upon water, while these...did not.

And such a method of travel was immensely popular among Vivarion residents. Why, you ask?

Simply put, it’s because Vivarion could fly.

For as long as I could remember, I’d been living on the floating city, suspended high above the clouds in a fantastical mechanical castle. The world below had been devastated long ago, and the founders of Vivarion had sparked the ingenuity to engineer this miracle that saved mankind. Supposedly, the Sora clan was among these founders.

Tsubaki waved after the airship as it shrunk in the distance. Grinning, she stared after the majestic steel beast rumbling across Vivarion’s skyline, allowing the people’s lives to move forward.

A thought struck me, and I turned to Tsubaki, annoyed. “Why didn’t we take an airship?”

Tsubaki shot me a smile. “I did this for you, dummy. Aren’t you the one who always moans about not being able to feel the wind?”

“How thoughtful of you,” I muttered spitefully. Still, I supposed she was right.

“Although,” I said, casting my eyes toward the azure sky. “It is quite lovely today, isn’t it?” A soft, warm breeze ruffled my hair, and set the edges of Tsubaki’s dress aflutter. It tugged playfully at my clothes, gently flowing over my skin. The very feeling of it invigorated me, filling me to the brim with delight.

“You’re smiling, Rick,” Tsubaki giggled cutely. “I love it when you do.”

My mind and soul were suddenly engulfed in a mortified blaze, my cheeks blushing red as fire. “A-ah,” I stammered, my heart pounding out of my chest. “That’s...pleasing to hear, Madame Tsubaki.”

“Well it’s pleasing to hear that you’re pleased, Richter.” Adorable. That was the only word to describe her.

“Still,” I regained my focus with a shake of the head and sighed. Staring up at the citadel platform, our destination, raised thousands of feet above our heads; it felt so far away. “It’d be nice to have a lift up there. Maybe I could sprout wings and fly us up? Y’know, like an Abhorrent.” I tilted my head, watching for Tsubaki’s reaction.

Her gaze was like daggers of ice. “You shouldn’t joke about Abhorrents, Mr. Hellsing.”

Shocked numb, I nodded and swallowed my next remark. Although Vivarion was a veritable paradise, it was far from perfect. The Abhorrents, for one. Strange humans born with powers that threatened the peace and security of Vivarion. Thusly, they were cast out by the righteous hand of Radiance, and sent down to the surface, where they would inevitably succumb to the dreadful conditions and die. Apparently it was a bit of a touchy subject with Tsubaki.

Too ashamed to speak, I continued up the steep path. Tsubaki walked beside me, coldly staring ahead. A silence extended between us as we walked, thousands of times more painful than the last.

“But the wind is truly exquisite this morning,” I said, desperately attempting to make conversation. “I can’t thank you enough for bringing me here, milady.”

Tsubaki remained stone-faced as she looked out across the clouds. “It’s not just for you, believe me. I love the wind just as much as you do; probably even more.”

“Is that why you purchased so many cans of beans?”

“Oh, shut up.” She smiled playfully at me, the frightening ice quickly melting. As we continued up the road, laughing and joking all the way, I couldn’t help but reflect. Life in Vivarion was good.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:28 am
EnixAddict says...

~Daiki~

The walk into the Gray Zone was a quiet one- at least between the two of us. Yurei was his usual self and I was just keeping an eye on the streets. There is always the threat of being attacked. I swore to protect the little pip-squeak next to me, so that is what I plan to do.

"So where are we going again?" Yurei asked about half way through our walk. I looked at him with a little sigh before answering. "We're a little low on food and supplies. We're going to go restock as much as we can." I put my hand on his head and pet Yurei's head a bit with a small smile.

"You two seem easy enough."
A voice sounded from behind us. I stopped Yurei and looked towards the voice. A thugish looking man had appeared holding a long pipe.

"Yeah man. Just two of 'em should be easy enough."
A buddy of the first guys appeared from the sidelines. Also holding a makeshift weapon. Soon, more members appeared around us looking for a fight.

"Look guys, you don't want to fight us. We were just on our way doing our own business and I'd prefer not getting into a scuffle." I said, hoping to avoid a conflict. Unfortunately, a fight couldn't be avoided.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:02 am
Basil says...

Nekisa

The clouds are always thick during the day. Except in summer. I hate summer. Too much sun. But no matter what the weather is like, there is always one shadow that remains, as dark as night. The shadow of the floating cities. I can dance through them all day, even when the sun is beating down. And today is one of those days where the sky reflects the colour of my eyes, a lovely deep shade of blue, with a white sun blaring over the wastelands of the Surface. And I’m going to spend the entire time jumping through the shadows.
Halfway through the day some clouds meander across the blue sky, and I stop wasting time when my stomach rumbles. My booted feet hit the ground with a soft thud, and I brush my clothes off of any dust particles that had attached themselves to my clothes during my jumping escapade. I head off in the general direction I know to be a supply of food, skipping through the shadows of the clouds whenever I get the chance.
When I make it to the slums of the ruined city, I pause. Here there is usually someone cooking food, or preparing a meal. I watch the skyline until a thin coil of smoke catches my attention. I dart through the buildings until I come to a large over hang. I peer around to see two men sitting around a fire. There is a huge pot of something boiling in it. The smell reaches my nose, and my stomach makes a loud growling sound.
The two men turn around and notice me. I shrink back, but they grin at me.
“It’s okay, we have plenty of food for hungry travellers,” one of them says.
I trot over to them and sit down. My clothes are ruffled and dirty, and my face is streaked with all different colours of dirt. I probably look like a total mud monster. That’s okay, I like looking like an urchin.
“Here,” the second man hands me a bowl and I eat with them in silence. As soon as I’ve finished, I hand the bowl back and stand up. “Leaving?” The same man asks, a little disappointed.
“Afraid so,” I curtsey. “Thanks for the food.”
“No problem child,” the first man says.
I curtsey again and disappear into the shadows.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

31 Reviews

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 pm
FadingBrighter says...

~~~~~~~YUREI~~~~~~~

It's not that I enjoyed vilonce.
My fist found the first man's jaw, sending him kereaning backwards, his hands pinwheeling as he attempted to regain his balance. Straightening, his eyes zeroed in on me, and he lurched forward again, something glinting in his right hand. He thrust the object towards me, and I easily dodged, but he redirected his blow, aiming it for my side. Daiki, who had been dealing with the second man, pushed him into his companion, enabeling me to get away from what could have been a fatal blow.
I glanced up, meeting his gaze and giving him a quick nod in thanks before being swept up in the fight once again.
No, it's not that I enjoyed moments like this, but sometimes you have to do things in life that don't suite your tastes. I was good at fighting. With Daiki at my side, I could take on just about anyone. We could take on just about anyone. That's why it had become our job, our source of income. Small brawls like this, or the larger ones that brought a sea of energetic onlookers. Each had their own merit- each payed for their meals.
Daiki's eyes flashed as he gave one final blow to the man with the pipe, knocking him out before leaning his limp form against the wall. I joined him in searching the thugs pockets for any cash they might be carrying.
"Find anything?" He asked. I nodded, holding up a meager wad of bills.
"There's dinner. What do you want? I think Lizzy's place is having some sort of event today or something."He straightened, dusting off his knees and sending me a smile.
"Sounds good."
Lizzy was an old friend of ours, one we'd known since our days in the orphanage. Both she and her mother used to bring whatever scraps they had leftover from the day, combining them into something unique and delicious. After her mother had passed, Lizzy had taken over the small restaurant and still maintained it today. Daiki and I would visit her from time to time, when we had enough money. She made the best caramel cream cake.
The diner sat between two smaller buildings- standing out with it's gleaming windows and only somewhat faded blue paint. Lizzy liked the place to look clean, and her regulars kept the fray from causing any trouble. Daiki opened the door to reveal the bustling interior- this place was never empty. Other than our personal reasons for coming here, Lizzy's restaurant was a community center piece in the Grey zone- a sort of middle ground brimming with information about both the zone itself as well as above.
Making their way to their usual seat, the pair was greeted by a loud cry.
"Daiki! Yurei!" A girl about their age with curly blonde hair and warm brown eyes came running at them from the back, pulling them both into a warm embrace.
"It's been to long! I was starting to worry. I told you, you can come by whenever you want!" Lizzy huffed, pulling away to glare at them both.
"Sorry Lizzy." Daiki laughed, guiltly rubbing the back of his neck.
"Sorry." I responded.
"Geez, you two. As long as your together, there really is nothing to worry about, is there." She stepped back, shaking her head. Daiki laughed, grabbing me and pulling me close, affectionately rubbing my hair.
"You got it Liz. As long as I'm around I'll make sure that this guy doesn't get into any trouble!"
"You're the trouble maker Daiki, not me." Lizzy snorted.
"You are both infamous for causing trouble. Now sit down. I'll have the cook bring you the usual." She turned, her thin form vanishing into the crowed, and once again the dull murmur of voices filled my ears.
So sit we did. Daiki gazed out the window, gold eyes soft with thought. I stared down at my hands, slowly focusing in on the conversations around me.
"...and then she said...."
"They asked for that much?"
"I still can't find ..."
"Revolution."
A single word sprung from the uproar, immediately catching my attention.
"...today, supposedly. They're going to open up one of the gates to the top."
"Are you sure you want to do this? Radiance won't just let something like outright disobedience go easily."
"Yeah, but what happens after doesn't matter. We are finally getting a chance to pay back those stuck up bastards. I'm not just going to sit idly by. This is our chance to finally do something."
"You're right."
"Oy, Yurei." Daiki's voice grew me from my concentration, and I looked up to met his gaze.
"You alright?" He asked. Alright? Maybe. I wasn't really certain why the conversation had drawn my attention in the first place. Revolutions were the errands of martyrs. There was no reward for fighting for ones fundamental rights or beliefs. In the end, you would only lose more than yo had the potential to gain. The only way to get by in this world was to survive. There was no point in dying for concepts such as freedom or equality.
"Yes, I'm fine." And he was.

ELEANOR

The man left my payment in the bowl by the door.
I liked that bowl- made of a pale pink glass that shimmered even in the little light that trickled in through the cracks in the blinds, I'd found it one day in one of the abandoned lots, miraculously still intact. I couldn't help but wonder who it had belonged to before. What had their life been like?
Wrapping the sheets around my torso, I walked over to the window, lifting the blinds and letting the grey afternoon light pour in.
Had they ever looked at the sky without looking at all. What had it looked like to them? From here, I could see small patches of blue through the murky cloud of dust and ash that persistently hung in the air. Perhaps it would rain soon, and then I would be able to see that stunning blue expanse for a few days before it would vanish again.
Running my fingers leisurly through my hair, I felf a small smile play at my lips as I thought of a distant time- of a distant person.
I...missed him.
Glancing back, my eyes landed once again on the bowl, filled with a mixture of cash and change.
What was his life like now? Was he happy? Did he still smile like he had at that time.
"Eleanor..."Turning back to the window, I leaned my head against the sill and closed my eyes. My chest ached. Everything ached. I was angry, I was lonely, I was sad. Gritting my teeth, I turned away, moving to shower before heading onto the streets.
Perhaps something fun would be awaiting me there.
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:02 pm
StupidSoup says...

Clay

I never liked waiting.

Which is probably why I was getting my face kicked in by a two ton bear....thing.

Ya see, we don't really have animals here, we have like, pure evil instead. Its not that bad once you get used to it. If your me its really fun, if your not me your probably dead or dying.

I dodge to the left as the abomination smashes its foot down on where I had been a second ago. I smile in anticipation.

"Hey!"

The beast barrels towards me and I run towards it. It raises its claw preparing to strike. That's when I use my awesomeness.

Grinning from ear to ear I turn gravity behind my fist, essentially making it twice as fast and twice as powerful. With about the weight of a metal bar, I smack aside the beast's claw and land two more punches right in it's face.

Oh how I love screams of pain.

I dance away. No seriously, I love pirouettes. The bear thing charges at me again and this time I go in for the kill. Taking a running start, I go down on one knee and apply gravity to my arm again, once, twice, three times, I smile in triumph and....

I'm smashed into the ground as the bear bulldozes over me.

I stumble to my feet and take off running as the beast charges again. There's a time to fight. That's most of the time. Then there's a time to run. I don't think about that part but when I do I run from massive bear things.

I book it, bounding over fallen pipes, ducking under broken street lamps, and finally sliding beneath a fallen building. The bear, in all its stupidity, runs straight into the building, causing it to shake slightly. I stick my tongue out at it and make obscene gestures, then scramble outta there.

That was a definite win in my book.

I open my clenched fist just to check If I got them. There in my palm are three massive teeth. The exact amount. That crazy witch was gonna get her stupid teeth and I was gonna get my food.

Yup, definite win.
Last edited by StupidSoup on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:40 am
Chaser says...

Richter

Mr. Sora’s face was priceless when we burst into the boardroom.

“Surprise!” Tsubaki yelled as I kicked the door off its hinges, as per her orders. Following her into the room, I began to unpack our supreme lunch in front of the flabbergasted board members.

A squirrely, bespectacled man to our left was the first to speak. “W-what are you doing here, Ms. Sora?” he stuttered.

Tsubaki grinned shamelessly, her hands on her hips. “Bringing you lunch, of course! Richter,” she gestured to me, and I nodded.

Drawing a knife from my pocket, I began to toss our purchased items into the air, dicing them with humble expertise. Deftly kicking plates across the table with my feet, I rained down lunch to the board members, who watched in awe and astonishment. Apple slices, ham legs, steak rinds, all of it became a scrumptious storm, assembling themselves neatly on their plates. I quickly drew a second knife, doubling the speed until-

“Mr. Hellsing!”

The stern voice made my hand slip in surprise, and I lost control of a particularly juicy slab of ham. The meat flew across the table and, in a twist of fate, slapped onto the speaker’s face with a plop.

Tsubaki gasped. I winced. Of all the people to strike with accidental flying ham, it had to be him.

Mr. Sora did well to conceal any rage he felt as he peeled the meat from his face, dispensing it to the floor. “Tsubaki,” he said evenly, a vein pulsing in his neck, “why are you here?”

Tsubaki gave a quick grin and chuckle. “W-well, it’s your birthday, Dad! We’re here to give you the best feast ever!”

“Aren’t feasts traditionally dinners?”

“W-well, uh…” Tsubaki scratched the back of her head, a habit she had when things got awkward.

I sighed in amusement. “I told you so, milady.”

Mr. Sora’s glare immediately blazed against me. “And Mr. Hellsing, if you would be so kind as to get down off our table, I would be immensely appreciative.”

I gulped and stepped down.

Mr. Sora coughed once, and seemed to relax. Though a handsome man, his face was often drawn in a severe scowl. It comes with the job, I suppose.

Ryuuji Sora was head of the Public Relations board; in other words, he made Radiance look good. It was a stressful job, trying to broadcast Radiance’s greatness to the whole of Vivarion, but he performed excellently nonetheless.

But this was perhaps one of his more tenuous days. Mr. Sora touched two fingers to his forehead, a habit of frustration that I was all too familiar with. “Alright,” he said finally, gazing around the table, “we were about to break for lunch, anyway, so we might as well oblige my daughter’s generosity. Everyone,” he nodded, as though the decision carried much more weight, “Dig in.”

The board members glanced at each other briefly, then dove into the food. Tsubaki was right: in some sense, they were pigs. I fought back a smirk as the thin-lipped women and triple-chinned men tore into the meat, ripping savagely at their lunch.

Taking the initiative, I quickly prepared the most select roast for Mr. Sora, spicing it with the most delectable combination imaginable. But upon presenting my masterpiece to my master, I was immediately shot down.

“Mr. Hellsing,” Ryuuji said severely, his eyebrows furrowing into a sheet of stormclouds. “What have we discussed about my daughter’s safety?”

“Master!” I exclaimed a little too loudly, stammering to reply. “I-I assumed that...what with the upcoming laws, the lower districts-”

“You fool!” my master yelled, cutting me off. “Now is the most fragile time of all! The Grey Zone is practically on the verge of eruption! The lower districts are the most dangerous place in Vivarion!”

Quailing beneath his crushing words, I immediately dropped to the floor, bowing frantically. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

“Stop it!” Tsubaki burst, running between us. “It was my idea! I made him come with me! Don’t blame him for it!” she exclaimed to her father.

Ryuuji’s expression softened slightly. “He should never have let you go, dearest. The Grey Zone is just too dangerous right now.”

“That’s what you think!” Tsubaki persisted stubbornly. “We used to visit by all the time, and Mom-”

“Enough!” Ryuuji roared, making the room tremble. Everyone immediately halted, staring at him.

Drawing a deep breath, he took a long sigh, and walked back toward the table. Repositioning himself at the head, he slammed his palms onto the wood. “Lunch break is over.”

Scattered grumbles filled the room as the council members slowly dispensed of their short meals. Once they were done, Mr. Sora cleared his throat, and began again. “Now, pertaining to the new legislation-”

“I object!” A voice rang out from the end of the table, where a smartly dressed young man stood up in challenge. His objection carried the impudence and spirit of conviction.

“And what,” Mr. Sora replied calmly, “would you be objecting to?”

“The invasion of people’s private lives! It’s not right!”

“Not right? No, it probably isn’t.” Ryuuji’s eyes were tranquil; his voice like an eerie calm. “But it’s the only option left. This decision wasn’t mine to make; the heads of Radiance formed this plan by themselves. We’re sending the Corps down tomorrow, so any objections have been long ignored.”

The man began to look unsure of himself, opening his mouth and closing it again. Defeated, he sat heavily back down.

Ryuuji sighed and continued. “As I was saying, the best way to present the legislation is as protection from Abhorrents, through government-run medical checkups.”

“Even though you’re testing to see if they are Abhorrents?” The words slipped out of my mouth, carrying the precarious tone of challenge. They hung in the air, a phantom echo traveling through the room.

Ryuuji’s eyes snapped towards me, katanas stabbing into my confidence. “Is there a problem with that, Mr. Hellsing?”

“The Grey Zone, mainly. They’re not going to take kindly to this. And when they resist, there’s going to be conflict. Aren’t you the least bit concerned for them?”

“The Grey Zone!” Ryuuji roared. “I’ll tell you about the Grey Zone, Mr. Hellsing. They are criminals, cutthroats, and brutes, and that is all they have ever been and will be!” Spittle flew from his mouth as his tirade crashed over me.

“You can’t just say that!” I felt Tsubaki tug on my sleeve, but I shook her off. “You can’t just say that those people are evil, just because someone killed your wife!”

There. The words rang, loud and clear, in the boardroom. I kept talking, heedless of my surroundings. “We all have dead people, Sora. And if you think you can just selfishly decide that they’re all evil, then you’re no better than the man who killed-”

“Don’t move!” I heard the fatal click of a gun’s hammer cocking back. Slowly, dreadfully, I turned my head. I had allowed my vigilance to lapse in my anger, and was about to pay for that mistake.

“Don’t anybody move,” the man hissed, his gun pressed to Tsubaki’s head. His other hand clamped over her mouth, muffling her frantic attempts to cry out.

“Tsubaki!” Ryuuji and I yelled simultaneously. Her eyes were frantic, wet with fear. She struggled in the man’s grip, hands desperately prying at his arms.

“I heard everything,” the gunman growled. “I’ve finally got the dirt on you, Sora. And as a gift for being so kind to all of us, I think I’ll kill you.” Lowering his face, he licked Tsubaki’s ear, grinning as she recoiled in terror. “And maybe keep your daughter as a trophy.”

That was all I needed to hear. I leaped into the air, shadowed by the ceiling light to my back. The criminal made the mistake of looking up at me, and was slightly blinded as a result. Raising his gun in fear, his finger tightened on the trigger. But the pistol was smashed from his hands by a brutal dropkick, smacking against the wall and misfiring with a bang.

As the board members took cover, I stepped forward, swinging my hand around. Without hesitation, my palm’s heel found the man’s chin, carrying the weight of unbounded rage behind it. The criminal yelled as he crumpled backwards against the wall.

Tsubaki shook herself free, running towards me. Jumping into my arms, she sobbed into my sleeve. “Why’d you do that, you dummy?” she pouted. “You could’ve been…”

“What, you’re not even going to think of yourself?” I chided teasingly. “I couldn’t just leave you.”

“Richter…” Her watery blue eyes stared up into mine, and I began to lose myself, my heartbeat quickening-

“Urgggh.” Oh. Oh yes, the gunman.

Storming over to him, I hoisted him up by the collar. “What now, you dog?” My voice dropped to a bestial growl.

“Heh...you’re...one to talk,” the man muttered.

I drew my fist back, my grip tightening further. “Why, you little-”

“I’m not the last.” I jerked back in surprise. His voice had changed to calm in an instant, as though there were some unseen force behind it.

“What’re you talking about?” I snarled.

The man gave a deep, harsh, chuckle. “Take one last look at your beloved city, you bastard. The streets shall run red,” he laughed, “and justice shall reign.”

Grimacing, I hesitated for a moment, the man’s smug expression frozen before me. Quickly, I administered a sharp blow to the neck, striking the nerve cluster and rendering the criminal unconscious.

Letting the body drop, I turned to Ryuuji, unsure of what to do next. He was distracted, pressing an earpiece to the side of his head. Gradually, his face blanched, his body stiffening. “I...I see.”

“What’s wrong, Dad?” Tsubaki asked worriedly.

“Mr. Hellsing.” Ryuuji refused to meet our gazes. “You must take my daughter to safety. Our mansion’s panic room-”

“What’s going on?” I stepped forward in challenge. “What did he mean, Sora?”

Ryuuji pressed his lips together, pointing a remote at the boardroom screen. “This,” he said. The screen flickered into a live camera feed, angled towards a gate from the end of the street. A police barricade had been set up to deter any illegal crossings. The gate was an iron door of death, locking the impoverished in the Grey Zone. And there…

I staggered backwards, blood draining from my face. Hundreds upon thousands of people were storming through, armed to the teeth, flooding into the streets of the city. The mob surged up the road, rushing towards the police barricade, smashing it apart. Yelling, they continued their stampede.

The worst had come to pass. Vivarion was at war.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg