Young Writers Society

Stablewright Boarding High School for Troubled Teens

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:53 am
View Likes
Editor says...

Story:
You're here at Stablewright Boarding High School for Troubled Teens because you are just that: Troubled. [Troubled meaning mental illness or drug use, NOT just average trouble.] The teens here are suicidal, depressed, have used or are using drugs. The works and more. On the side, many of them were sent here because their parent didn't want to deal with them anymore and dumped it on the trained professionals at the school. Half of the students stay here for the summer because they need extra councelling. There are specialized curriculums so that the students get special help with lots of on-site therapists. However, plenty of the kids don't care for this and try to create as much chaos as possible to make up for it. The school has many drug dealers hiding right under the teachers', counsellors', and therapists' noses. Many of the students cut and most cry themselves to sleep. You are one of them. Go, have fun, and don't do drugs, kids! (I guess.)

Character Template:
Name:
Mental Illness (If any):
Drugs or not:
Characteristics:
Physical apperance:
Anything Extra (Not required) :

Rules:
-As you can tell by the theme of the story, this may not be the most PG13 storybook. Swearing is fine, as it is kind of expected that teens in these situations may be more prone to this, but mentions of sexual activity is to be kept to a minimum.
-No Godmodding. You guys know what this is, come on. I have no need to really go into this.
-Use present tense in posts.
-OOC in the DT
-One character per person.
Last edited by Editor on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ï' ø вøɾε

9 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 9
Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:08 am
kat13254 says...

Hope Addi's good :D
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

7 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:11 am
Editor says...

In the DT, Kat^^
ï' ø вøɾε

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:28 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Jasper Mendoza

"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

"Jasper," Mom says, her spanish accent ringing in her voice, "We're sending you to this school because we believe you could do without any... distractions. Your father and I-"

"Jack," I interrupt, "Is not my father."

"Jack," she repeats, "And I think you're confused and that it would be best for you to get away for a while. Get your head on straight."

"Jack is a pig who cheated on you. Why don't you leave? Do you really have no self respect?" I snap at her and feel bad for it, I love my mother but she has no spine.

"Jack and I have our differences," her voice is firm but her eyes are on the floor. "You leave tonight so I suggest you get packing." She closes my bedroom door quietly, the door so paper thin that I can hear her relieved sigh through the wood.

I do as she tells me, throwing a suitcase on the bed angrily and shoving clothes in. They are sending me away from "distractions", aka Ian. The guy I was caught making out with. But I don't need to be away from him, I need to be with him. He's the only one who can help me figure myself out, whether I'm gay or something else.

I pull out my phone.

We need to meet, parents sending me away, I leave tonight. The text sends in under a minute.

Meet me under the fire escape, My phone chimes and I climb out my window, walking slowly down the rickety stairs. It's not my first time sneaking out.

As I jump down onto the pavement, I see Ian's dirty blonde hair come into view. His blue eyes are as piercing as ever.

"They're really sending you away?" He asks as he takes my hand in his. I nod, pushing my hand through my caramel brown hair.

"Yeah, it looks like it. I'll probably have my phone taken away at the school but they should have payphones there. I might be able to sneak in a phone call or two."

"No," Ian says, "You need to be careful. You can't call me, you can't write me. You can't even tell people there you're questioning. People at those schools are brutal, most of them druggies. You can not get mixed up with them. Keep your head down and do what you're told. Capiche?" His hands move to my cheeks, framing my face.

"I just want what's best for you," he says, kissing me. His lips are warm against mine and I feel a shiver move down my back. A good shiver.

"I need you," I say, "You're what's best for me."

He smiles, "I'll do you no good if you're locked up in there forever. You need to stay true to yourself. Do what it takes to survive. I'll be thinking about you everyday."

I feel my lip quiver, "Goodbye, Ian,"

"Not goodbye," he insists, "This isn't goodbye. I'll see you later." He kisses me one last time. "Okay?"

"Okay," I whisper. And then he's gone, swallowed up by the darkness of the streets.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:53 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Samantha Hawthorne

"You don't have a choice in this." Samantha couldn't for the life of her remember the name of the case worker that sat in front of her. Martha? No that wasn't it at all. Martha was the second case worker. The one that looked like a pug. Sandra was the third, stupid bitch thought all Sammy needed was a home with strict discipline. Their form of discipline didn't work on kids that fought back. Samantha smirked at the memory of the man's bloody and broken nose. It was so worth the two nights she spent in jail.

"Like hell. I don't need to go to some stupid mental facility. There is nothing wrong with me." She growled as she crossed her arms definitely over her chest.

"I wouldn't call it a stupid facility. This is your last chance before you get put in a girls home or worse juvy until you are of age, is that really what you want? You've gone through nearly all of our case workers, every judge knows your record by heart, and there isn't a single foster home in the state that will even think about taking you in. Let alone your psychiatrists seems to think you are trying to get yourself killed." The woman pinched her short pointed nose as her eyes shut. "I'm not so sure she is wrong either. The judge gave me two options, see if the school does you any good or juvy. Honestly, I don't think juvy will do you any good so the school it is."

"Whatever." Sammy huffed. "Send me there, we'll be sitting here again in a few days."

"We better not! I don't want to see you until you are eighteen and making something of yourself." The woman snapped as she stood up to her full height. Sammy had to give her that, after she scared her last caseworker to near death they had given her one that towered a good foot over Sammy's five foot two frame. The woman was probably best friends with her trainer too.

"You've a better chance at winning the lottery." Sammy muttered.

"What was that?" The woman snapped. Carol? No, that wasn't it either.

"Fuck you." Sammy snapped glaring at the woman. Allison, that was it, Allison Conner.

"Really? What have I told you about that kind of language!" Allison snapped clenching her fists together.

"That I don't give a fuck what you say." Sammy smirked. "I'll do as I damn please, send me to the school. We'll see how long this lasts."

"An officer will be here in twenty minutes to take you to the school." Allison said her jaw muscle working over time as she sat down. Sammy had to give it to her, most caseworkers had lost it by now. "Go sit in the hallway and you better be there when he shows up."

"Wow, are you trusting me to stay put, Mrs Conner?" Sammy sneered.

"No, I know you wouldn't make it past the front doors. Get out of my office." Allison replied with a shake of her head.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:09 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Wil Johnson

Everyone constantly tells me sorry. Not because they did anything wrong, but it’s because they feel sorry for me. They all know about the depression, and the bipolar disorder. They also know how I was the one that found her. The lifeless body of my mother on the bathroom floor. Bottle of pills and all. The only thing I can really remember from that night was my screaming. I yelled so loud, because I thought that would somehow wake her up… It didn’t.

Everyone seems to act like they know everything about her, but no one truly knew who she was. They all saw her as this porcelain doll expected to fall off the shelf and break. My mother loved me, but life became too much. My love was not enough to save her from herself.

I am just like her. I suffer from depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. I do everything I am supposed to do for my father’s sake. I go to school, maintain good grades, take care of myself, and take my pills. The less of a burden I am to my father the better.

I mainly succeeded in doing so until the night it all went to hell. On my way home from school one day these girls were joking about my mom being crazy, and that I would end up just like her someday. They also kept talking about how she was now in hell, and was saving a spot for me. I always try to ignore comments like that, but that day I snapped. I ended up breaking the girl’s nose, and stabbing her in the hand with a pencil. As a result her mother pressed charges. I tried to explain, but no one believed me because this wasn’t the first time something like that happened when I snapped. My father had two options: pay off the expensive bills that we didn’t have the money to pay for, or send me to some correctional facility for the rest of the school year and maybe into the summer. My therapist pushed for the school. She said I needed it, and as you might have guessed he chose the second option. So here I am on my way to some
school that will supposedly help me get better.

As we drive the images of my mother flash through my head.

“Wil...Wil!?” My dad says knocking me out of my daydream. (Or nightmare)

“Oh what?! I’m sorry I must have zoned out. What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I just wanted to let you know we will be there soon. “

“Oh…okay. Thanks dad.”

My hands begin to shake as we continue on down the road. I only have to here a few months. I only have to be here a few months. I keep telling myself. Do as you’re told. Stay out of trouble. Do as you’re told. Stay out of trouble. It isn’t until my cheek is stained with salt that I notice I am crying, and I now I am scared.
Why doesn’t anybody look hard enough to see something is wrong? Why can’t they see I am not alright? I guess it’s because I am fine.

Right?

I am fine…
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:56 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

Jasper Mendoza

My Mom waves goodbye to me on the bus, the bus that shows up in the middle of the night with chained prisoners and cops and metal gates sectioning off the aisle.

"Are this many people going to the school?" I ask, looking at all the people in orange.

"No," the cop says gruffly, "Only a few." He shoves me towards the back and I land haphazardly in a seat, next to some guy wearing way too much eyeliner. As I look around, I see there are some people wearing clothes like me, those must be the ones going.

I have no idea how long the drive takes, but eventually night fades into day and I feel the need to relieve myself. I ask the cop guarding my section and he doesn't respond. But then we pull in front of the school.

It looks like a prison and for all intents and purposes, I suppose it is. It's a gray building surrounded by barbed wire fencing, the lawn is brown and I can see teenagers walking around in uniforms like it's some kind of prep school. I scoff on the outside, but inside I'm quaking. All I want to do is be with Ian.

I step off the bus after we pull through the gate to multiple security check points, there's a group of more security guards there at what looks like will be something like airport security. They pat kids down, confiscating cell phones and weapons. In another area, they dig through suitcases, looking for drugs or anything else they don't approve of. After opening each suitcase they bring the drug dog by it, and if he sits, he suitcase is taken away and searched again.

I put my duffel bag at the check table and then put my arms up to be scanned. They take my cellphone and my keys and they're zipped into a plastic bag before being marked, labeled and filed away. Then I'm moved forward into an assembly hall full of kids with multiple piercings, saggy jeans, red rimmed eyes and tattoos.

I sit as far away from them as possible.

There's a woman up front, her eyes are stern and her hair is jet black, she wears a pantsuit and it makes me want to grin. I always thought it was funny when women wear pantsuits. But then she clears her throat, speaking into a microphone.

"Welcome, newcomers, to registration for the new semester. I have a few rules to go over with you.
For those of you who have broken laws and have a probation officer, you are to check in with them every Saturday at 4 pm in the guidance office which is located in C wing of the school.
If you are caught with any sort of weapon, drug, electronic, food outside of the cafeteria or alcohol you will be put in..." a malicious smile crosses her face "solitary confinement." she finishes.

"Any student found to be touching, kissing, or even patting another student will be put in detention. You must be back in your rooms by 8 sharp, lights out is 9:30. Wake up every morning is 6:00 and breakfast starts at 6:45, ends at 7:00. You must be in class by 7:30. You will be given a set of chores to do every week and you are responsible for completing these chores without reminder. You will wear your uniform anywhere and everywhere you go outside of your dorm room. Attendance to class is mandatory and if you get sick you must go to the infirmary. Failure to comply with these rules will result in-" that smile again, "-punishment."

"These are just the basic rules. You will find a student handbook on your pillow in your respective rooms. Are there any questions?" she asks. Nobody raises their hands as she's made it perfectly clear.

Life here will be nothing more, and nothing less than hell.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

7 Reviews

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 pm
View Likes
Editor says...

Michelle Black

"Michelle Felicity Black," my mother yells from outside my bedroom door, banging on it three times. "Open this door right now, or I'll knock it down." I lock my door, running to my window and flipping the locks, sliding it open. Not any more than two seconds after that, my door bursts open and my mother comes through it. Her face is red with rage.
"I'm not going to that school," I say, staring daggers at her. I take my bag and stick my leg out the window. She stares smugly at me while I leap out the window and land in a tree. I climb down, and someone grabs my wrist. I am dragged through my front yard, seeing my mother through my bedroom window and giving her one last dirty look before disappearing into the bus.
I cross my arms, walking to the back of the bus and sitting on the sticky vinyl seat. I scan the people on the bus. The people going to school are clearly the ones in the regular clothes. The ones in orange are probably going to prison. The bus ride is long, but we eventually arrive and we leave the bus, entering the school. I make it through most of the security checkpoints, but I am stopped by a man working at the security check.
"I heard from your mother that you once smoked weed," says the man. "You didn't bring any?"
I smirk. "No, sir," I say, and let them search my bag. Any drugs or weapons I have brought are well hidden, and they are not found. The drug dog can tell that my bag is hiding something, but they search my bag once more and don't find anything, so they brush it off and let me into the school. I walk into the assembly hall and find a seat.
I listen to most of the lecture, and at the end, I pretty much know what I'm supposed to do. I make my way to my dorm room and dress myself in the hideous school uniform. I sit on my bed and flip through the handbook, waiting for my roomate to arrive. I look outside my dorm room, then walk outside of it completely. I see a girl looking lost and walk to her.
She stutters out a quick "Hi," and I pity her a little. She seems scared of me.
"Are you lost," I ask her, pressing my wrists to my sides to hide my cuts.
"I guess you could say that," she says. Her voice sounds like she is trying to sound sassy but nonetheless it comes out as a stutter.
"What's your name," I question her. She could be my missing roomate.
It is nearly inaudible, but I hear her mumble out, "Addi."
"Does 'Addi' stand for Addison?"
"No," she yells while hardly letting me finish my sentence. I roll my eyes slightly.
"I'm looking for an Addison, so if you find her, her room is number 138."
She says something about leading her to the room, but I don't hear much else of it. I smirk and lead her to the room. She stumbles most of the way and runs into me. I open the door, brushing it off.
"So, do you know if it's only the two of us in this room," she asks.
"It's just us," I reply, and look in my bag. I pull out some weed and some rolling paper, rolling them into a joint.
My roomate freaks out. "What are you doing‽"
I roll my eyes. "Come on. Tobacco and alcohol are worse than this, but they're legal," I light the joint, inhaling the smoke and then exhaling.
"It must be illegal for a reason. You can do that, just not around me."
"It's illegal because people don't do their research before saying it's dangerous," I say. I inhale, and then exhale again.
She jumps up. "Ew, that is disgusting," she yells, but she trips. Blood drips onto the floor from her wrists.
I raise my eyebrow. "Real mature."
She walks to the bathroom and I hear the water running. "Do you know when classes start," she yells from the other room.
"They start tomorrow," I reply. She seems to be judging me by my looks and how I speak. That is probably how it will go for the rest of the year.
"Thanks," she says. "I might go expore around the school, if that's fine with you."
"Go ahead. I'm not your boss."
She goes back to stuttering. "Sorry. Habit, I guess."
"You don't need to apologize," I reply. "You learn that quick, at schools like this. People will think you're weak."
"Bye," she says. She rushes to the door and pushes on it.
"It's a pull door," I smirk. She has a lot to learn.
"Sorry. Also, thanks," she says. "I guess I'll see you later?"
"Well, we are roomates."
"True. Well then, I will see you later."
I nod. "Of course," I say, and go back to smoking. I watch her leave. I dab it out on the wall by my bed and am left lying here, alone.
ï' ø вøɾε

9 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 9
Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm
View Likes
kat13254 says...

Addison Lilinith

My parents call me downstairs after my last call from my school. I'm not sure as to why they seem to want to pay any attention to me now considering every other time anything involving me got brought up they changed the subject. They've always hated me. Of course things could've been worse, but I've been left alone since I was 10.

After much thinking over I walk downstairs slowly and sit on the old faded black couch. They look at me like I've killed someone when really, the closest I've ever done to that was trying to kill myself, which is obvious since I'm sitting here, didn't work.

"Well Addison" They speak hesitantly, calling me Addison despite all my previous protests for them to call me Addi. "We need to talk to you. Your school councillor called me and gave me the name of this school. It's one usually for troubled kids, so we figured you'd fit right in." I roll my eyes and cross my arms. They can't even be serious about this. " You're leaving tomorrow night so I'd suggest you say bye to whoever you want." My mother finishes and puts her hand on my shoulder seemingly scared of me. I hear my father throw in a quiet "Who would want to say bye to her"

"I do have people who would want to say bye, father." I throw in with disgust. "Also, why do I have to go to this stupid school? What did I do to get forced to go to this hell?" I stand quickly and push past my parents.

"We told you that you're going so you are!" My father booms, making me slightly jump back in fear. My mother, more sympathetic than my father pushes. "Who said it would be bad? You might meet some new friends?" She obviously doesn't understand this type of place. I'd rather stay here or better yet, just kill myself.

The night after I wait in my room with my stuff packed up, my hair freshly dyed blue. If I'm going to this new school I might as well make a good impression. The doorbell rings and my father calls me down. I'm being forced to go anyways, I shouldn't fight it. I climb onto the bus slowly. I see two kinds of people, those in orange uniforms and ones in normal clothes. I assume this bus also goes to a prison by the looks of it so I sit in the first open seat I see and wait.

After the very long bus ride I get up and quickly run off the bus. I see prison guards and what must be the school. Just from looking at it I start shaking, eager to be free to roam again. I pass my bags to the person who searches them and let them search me. They try to pull off my many bracelets, but I wouldn't let them causing a bit of a scene.

Once I'm through I check the hiding spot in my bag and see my hidden stuff is still there, blades and anything else I wouldn't want anyone to see. I walk into the opening assembly and listen as the teachers go on and on to stuff I don't even listen to. I follow the others for most of the way until it's time to find my dorm.

I wander through the school ending up in almost every place but where I should've ended up. Realizing how lost I am I sit by the wall and watch as more exprienced students walk past me. Me too afraid to talk to anyone and everyone else just ignoring me.

I see this girl walking over towards me, and I tense up, afraid to talk to anyone here. Of course I'm going to have to eventually, but right now when I'm here lost in the hall is not the time. When I think she's in front of me I look up

"H-hi" I stutter out, turning a shade of pink from being so awkward. I look down at the floor waiting for her to laugh at me, or hit me like they use to do at my old school whenever I would be so stupid like this.

"Are you lost," she asks, looking slightly concerned. I look at her suprised, I thought everyone here would be like how the bullys at my old school would have been.

"I g-guess you could say that" I try to say sassily, but it turns out more scared and anxious. It seems I'm not the only one tense as she presses her arms to her side. If I were to guess I would say she's hiding something, but I'm too scared to say anything.

"What's your name?" She questions. I play with my names and almost unaudibly mumble "Addi"

"Does 'Addi' stand for Addison?" She guesses my first name almost insantly

"N-no!" I quickly yell out. No one's allowed to call me Addison. No one.

"I'm looking for an Addison, so if you find her , her room number is 138." I put my now blush covered face down.

"F-fine. My name is Addison, but don't even think about calling me it. I think you would be looking for me. I'm guessing you know where our room is then so if you could lead the way it would be nice."

I quickly jump up and follow her to the room, stumbling most of the way until I eventually don't realize she stopped and I run straight into her back. I quickly run my hand through my hair and stutter out an apology of some kind. I walk into the room and place my stuff onto the floor near the entrance. The rooms aren't terrible, but I much would've rathered staying back with my parents. At least there I could've done whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to.

"So d-do you know if it's only us two in this room?" I ask honestly a bit scared of her.

"It's just us." Oh great. A whole year with her. She pulls out something I can only assume is weed.

"Wh-what? What are you doing?!" I freak out slightly. I've done some bad things but anything near the area of drugs I've stayed away from. If I'm going to be with her this is not happening.

"Come on. Tobacco and alcohol are worse than this, but they're legal." She seems so cool with this.

"It must be illegal for a reason. You can do that just not around me." I try to assert some dominance, but again I fall short sounding like a small child trying to be assertive.

"It's illegal because people don't do their research before saying it's dangerous."

"Ew, that is disgusting." I jump around ending up tripping and causing the cuts on my arm to bleed through the bracelets.

"Real mature" She says and I grab my wrist.

"Damnit" I mutter and walk into the bathroom, moving the bracelets letting water run over the cuts. "Do you know when classes start!" I yell from the bathroom, realizing I still didn't know from not listening when I was supposed to.

"They start tomorrow." I really don't think she likes me. I guess it goes to show that no one will like me. My father's right.

"Thanks. I might go explore around the school if that's fine with you."

"Go ahead. I'm not your boss." She says and I blush as I walk out of the bathroom, grabbing a sweater out of my bag.

"S-sorry. Habit I guess."

"You don't need to apologize. You learn that quick, at schools like this. People will think you're weak." I guess she's right. I just don't want to admit it.

"B-bye!" I say quickly and rush to the door having trouble opening it due to the fact I'm pushing on it rather than pulling.

"It's a pull door." She says and I realize my mistake and pull it open.

"S-sorry. Also thanks. I guess I'll see you later?"

"Well, we are roomates." I really need to learn to not say stupid stuff like that. She must think I'm an idiot.

"True. Well then I will see you later!" I run out the door and almost leave it open, but realize once I walk slightly down the hall and run back. "Sorry!" I close it and continue to walk around the school.
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:32 pm
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Edward Hamilton

"Mr. Hamilton the limo is here." Drawls the officer who is to escort me. She looks around the Hamilton family mansion." Never been somewhere this nice before?" I ask casually. She shakes her head." Born and raised in Tennessee sir." She says as she opens the door for me. She hops in behind me." I'm surprised the school lets you do this." She said, looking at the leather interior." Well after my saintly father decided to enroll me in the fine school we are going to, he made a very big... Ah what's the word? Ah yes, donation. Sadly doesn't give me any leeway with things, but at least I get to travel in comfort before I am subjected to that heathen place they call a school." She nods in understanding. I wipe my hands on my suit pants, wiping the sweat away. Not only am I going to this school, but I'm also sneaking in some... Goodies for the school year. I snuck them in no problem, but I wasn't sure about what uprgrades they had made to the security system.

Soon we arrive and I stretch my legs. Already I can see the new kids staring me down. Trying to find their place in the hierarchy and assuming that I'm the rich kid, I'd have to be taken down a notch. The poor souls didn't realize that I had already gone through that the year before and already found my place. Which happens to be near the top. Sweating nervously I walk through the the security section as the officer leaves with a friendly smile. I grin at the guards who glower at me." Ah Simon, it's so good to see you again! I've missed your bubbly smile!" He mutters something to himself as they scan me. Praying to all that was holy I waited for a beep. Not a peep. Than they patted me down.

"What is this Mr. Hamilton?" A guard asks, pulling something from my suitcase. Everyone me swerves to look at me. "A pack of 5 gum my good sir." As he begins to place it in the confiscated items bin I casually lean against the metal detector. I smirk as I say."Expensive equipment all of this isn't it?" He freezes as I wink at him. Quickly he places it in my case. I smile. "Good man." I knew I had just used basically my only wildcard, but the price of a pack of gum? I was a businessman. Good think he hadn't found the other six packs. Or the condoms... Or the porn mags (not for personal use, but some people get lonely) or the birth control pills... Or the drugs. Everything was going great.
I looked over at the newcomers, some who were trying to stare me down. But my eyes caught on a girl. The guards were going through her stuff again. She had hidden something, but they weren't finding it. They were a little annoyed as they waved her through. I would have to keep my eyes on her. She could make a good business partner... And I wouldn't deny she was attractive. Not everyone's style, but she had that punk look. It was exotic. I liked exotic.

I got to my room and groaned. They had placed me with a first year. Just great. No doubt a narc. Putting on my best game face I walked in with my suitcase and backpack and stuck out my hand." Pleased to meet you. I'm Eddie. Eddie Hamilton." The kid looked up as my two... pals? Shall we say leaned against the door. Todd and Greg grinned at him. He opened his mouth and spoke.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

7 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 am
Editor says...

Elliot Himura

My lip quivers and the hairs on my arms are standing up. I finally have my parents' attention, I am standing in front of them. I can't back out now that they are expecting me to say something important. I breathe in and then out, opening my mouth to speak.
"I have something to tell you," I declare. "I'm gay."
My mother and father look at each other, confused for a moment. My father stands up, looking around the room. "Alright, where are the cameras?"
"Dad, this is not a joke," I reply. "There are no cameras."
"What do you mean, this isn't a joke," he yells. "It has to be a joke!"
My mother grabs his arm. "Kazuo, sit down."
"I did not raise my only child to be gay," he continues. He grabs a pamphlet from the pile of junk mail. "This school! This will scare you straight!"
--

My bag is packed and the bus is on the way. I sit on the stone steps leading up to my home. I should not call it that, because as they say, your home is where your heart is and my heart certainly isn't here. I call my best friend for the last time in what will feel like forever.
"Kirsten, I have good news and bad news."
"Let's hear the good news first."
"Okay. Good news, I came out to my parents."
She sighs, knowing what's coming. "And the bad news?"
"I'm being sent away," I say, and tears stream down my face. I can't hold them back.
"How long will you be gone?"
"For the whole school year, but that's if they don't keep me for the summer."
"Elliot," she starts, but I cut her off.
"The bus is here. I have to leave."
I hang up and stand, making my way to the bus as slow as I can. When I am at the doors, they swing open and I step inside. I sit in the seat closest to the front and dry my tears. An officer looks at me like I just grew cat ears. "Are you lost?"
"Well, is this the bus to Stablewright or not," I reply. The officer sighs and goes back to what he was doing. From looking around at the people on the bus, I can only assume the bus goes to a prison as well. I close my eyes and within what feels like seconds to me, I am shaken awake by the same officer. Without a word, I stand like the others and we are lead off of the bus and into the school. I go through security check, in which my cell phone gets confisticated. The drug dogs don't sense anything out of the ordinary in my bag, so I make my way to the assembly hall.
--

After the assembly, I file out of the assembly hall like everybody else and try to find my dorm room. I find my room and enter. I am the first person into the room, so I change into uniform and read the handbook. I unpack most of my stuff into the chest at the end of the bed. Behind me, I hear the door open, so, naturally, I turn around.
"Pleased to meet you. I'm Eddie. Eddie Hamilton."
This older guy was standing in front of me, holding out his hand. I shake it. "My name's Elliot Himura," I nod, and then turn my back, going back to my bed. "I won't be disturbing you."
I sort through my bag, finding my black horn-rimmed glasses and putting them on. My vision gets clearer. I then walk to the door, forgetting to close my bag, and try to push the pull door. I notice my mistake and pull the door open, leaving the room.
I exit the dormitory and roam the courtyard, not knowing what to do. I am not like anybody here. I am awkward, physically weak, and can't hold my own if I end up in an argument. I am not here for a crime or a specific mental disability that is in urgent need of fixing. I find a spot by the wall of the courtyard and sit down. I lean my head back, closing my eyes, but soon hear footsteps coming my way. I look up, finding myself face-to-face with a stranger.
ï' ø вøɾε

110 Reviews

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:29 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Samantha Hawthorne

Sammy was happy when the guards put her in the far back corner of the bus. She crossed her arms over her chest and watched everyone as they came onto the bus making a mental note of anyone that wasn't in an orange jumpsuit. They were probably going to the same school she was and she would need to know who to watch out for. Though from the looks of them so far none of them really looked like they would be much of a threat to her. Course that was saying she found anyone to be a serious threat.

Once they were at the school she didn't miss the limo that pulled in and a too-good-for-the-world kid stepped out. He was obviously from money and she had learned a long time ago to stay away from his type. They had enough money to have others do their dirty work and never get their hands dirty. Even if he was at a school like this, he probably didn't go by the same rules. Though if she needed a fix he was probably just the person to talk to.

"Miss Hawthorne." A stern voice snapped pulling her attention to the guard that was standing in front of her. "Any weapons you would like to tell me about before we search you."

"I don't need weapons." She sneered at him as she put her arms out for the female guard or whatever they were called started to search her. Weapons were for cowards in her opinion. People who wanted to distance themselves if even a little from the damage they were doing.

"We are well aware of your record, Miss Hawthorne. I'm sure you are well aware that we will not allow that type of behavior." The male guard said standing tall. If he thought he was intimidating her he was mistaken.

"Don't worry, you won't have to deal with me for long." She smirked at him. The female officer stepped away empty handed and Sammy's smirk widened. "Told you, I don't need weapons."

Once they were done searching her bag, and coming up empty handed yet again, Sammy made her way to her room. Whoever was her roommate wasn't there yet so she stashed away her bag after double checking to make sure her rolling papers and pot were still hidden securely in the false wheel. Soon as she got out she'd have to left Ali know that her little invention had actually worked.

She fixed the wheel back on her suitcase and tossed the uniform they had given her in the trash as she walked out of the room. She slowly worked her way down the stairs and to the courtyard glancing around. There were a few of the students wandering around. Some were alone and some were with others. They had probably been to the school the year prior.

This is going to suck. She thought finding a spot in the grass and plopping down so she could watch everyone that came into the courtyard.
Want a Readers crit???

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:34 pm
TheForgottenKing says...

Eddie

Once I had my room set up I put on the uniform. Had to kiss the authorities for a little bit till I knew my enemies and allies. I walked out of the room, my two boys falling in behind me. I approached the courtyard and put on my sunglasses. I took a deep breath." Smell that boys? That right there is called junkies, cutters, wackos and sluts. Let's make the best of it." As I was walking through, some kid came at me. A newbie by the look of it. Trying to put on a show no doubt. Trying to find his place the poor sap.

I ducked under his swing and hit him in the ribs real quick, than backed up as the security guards flooded the area, pulling the kid up and dragging him off to solitary no doubt. I shivered. I hated that place. I turned to the other guys." Well, you know who to find. Tell them to meet me tonight at midnight by the bell tower. We need to discuss this years... Rules. If they bring anyone else, that's there call. You know the drill, get to it." I grabbed Todd by the shirt." Someone's going to try and impress a newbie. Let them tag along. You know what needs to happen. Keep on eye on the first years. I don't want a narc. Than it'll become personal, and no one wants another Cold War. Last one didn't end to well." I let him go.

I liked those two. They were loyal and smart, and they knew how to use their fists. UFC trained both of them, so you can guess why they got in here. I readjusted my watch and sat on a bench. I watched as kids came and went. Watching... That's all I was doing. Last year I was the hired gun so to speak. Carlos Mendoza, a cartel kid, ran one of the black market rings in the school last year. he had taken me under his wing and told me about all the secret places. Than the "war had started. Two other dealers trying to make a quick buck. Now they were both in comas, and his two boys were spending life in prison probably. As his pupil, I knew what I was doing. I played this game pretty damn well, and I wouldn't hesitate to ruin the lives of those who interrupted me. Than I noticed the poster going up. School dance? Really? And no doubt you had to stay out of each other's bubbles. That would make life interesting. Than my mind shifted.

I loved girls. I mean, come on, who doesn't? I started checking the girls out. You see, I didn't want a sycophant. I need someone who was just as smart as me. And hell, some of the New Years were hot as hell. I noticed the shadow behind me and stopped laughing. I turned around to face a girl, wasn't sure what year, but I hadn't met her before. She was new. She opened her mouth to speak.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:10 pm
Nike says...

Katarzyna Curus

It's not like I was insane for doing what I wanted to do. I was just being a normal kid. Sneaking out of the house occasionally, drinking at parties, smoking hookah... like all of this was normal.

But I guess for my father, it was far from it.

He said I was getting to emotional, I cared about things I shouldn't have cared about. So he sent me away to seek professional help. In a school where all the kids were mental. Like, really mental. Like, I would get killed for looking at them the wrong way mental.

I wasn't sure why I was being sent here. But then again, you don't know you're crazy unless someone tells you you are. I know I am not crazy though, I'm just at times mentally unstable.

That isn't the same thing.

The head mistress of the school welcomed us with a smile and threats. The school looks very prestigious, as if instead of being crazy, we were just very bright Harvard students. I wouldn't mind staying here for a while if it wasn't for the fact that I was here because I was sick.

I observed all the students. Everyone was different. I couldn't find two people that were even remotely the same.

I'm sure I didn't stand out though, because colourful hair is something most of these kids had.

I wandered around the halls, just taking in the area. I knew that the heads of the school wouldn't appreciate that, but this was my way of seeing where I was and accepting that it was real.

That was another problem I had, depersonalisation. At times I managed to feel like I'm in a dream because my life turned three hundred and sixty degrees in a matter of seconds. And it either lasted for a day or for a while, depending on how I coped.

It was time to make my way to my room. I looked at the binder they gave me when I first walked in. Flipping it open, I got to the first page that read my schedule and where I'll be staying. Looks like it wasn't that far.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

110 Reviews

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:57 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Samantha Hawthorne

Sammy watched as the rich kid came out of the dorms two guys behind him. She hadn’t seen them with him before now and they had her interest piqued. They were fighters, no doubt about that, in fact the way they carried themselves said they may as well have been his own personal goons.

She saw a kid that had been on the bus with her shove up off the ground and go at Rich Kid. He was going about it all wrong though. There was no surprise to the attack and it was painfully obvious the kid had no idea what he was doing.

Rich Kid’s reaction surprised her though. He skillfully ducked under the swing and landed a solid looking punch to the kids ribs. Just like that it was over. She noted how quickly the guards made it over dragging the kid away. She needed to know where they were at all times. Getting put in solitaire confinement wasn’t going to get her out of here. She had to figure out something big enough that they had to kick her out, but didn’t put her in prison.

She watched as someone started hanging up posters talking about a school dance. She let out a bitter chuckle as she shook her head. The school was just now starting. Did they really think it was a good idea to start the drama that would ensue around a dance? She never understood the anxiety girls got over not being asked out. It was all a complete waste of time.

Sammy's mind went back to the two guys that had been following Rich Kid around. At a school where it seemed half the kids would be on meds and the other half watched like hawks a person wouldn't need goons. Unless there was something important being done or someone important being taken care of. Though he seemed to fit the profile of the second, he had dismissed them as if to go do a task. She had a feeling it was something important that was being done. If he had money she would bet he would be the one to get things from the outside world. If she was going to be in here a while he would probably make a good ally of sorts. She pushed herself up off the ground and headed of towards him. When he turned and faced her she instinctually crossed her arms over her chest.

"Not a good thing already having people out for you on the first day of school." She mused.
Want a Readers crit???

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle