z

Young Writers Society

Camp of Almost-Heroes SB

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:04 pm
ladcat13 says...

This is a summer camp.
Well actually, it's currently a winter camp.

Admittedly it's a well-kept camp. The bathrooms are clean with some hot water, the mess hall food is edible if not gourmet, the five log cabins have two bunks, warm fireplaces, and are clean. The mountain forests are beautiful and snow-covered. But it's still a camp. It's run by the Time Travel agency (whose agents and workers don't actually appear as people- think invisible, unspeaking ghosts). Your character is a Byronic Hero, Anti-Hero, or almost-bad-guy. Someone in their life who cares for them contacted the Time Travel agency and paid for a three-week session in advance, finally putting their foot down on your character's antics. They believe that the camp will do good for Mr.-Grumpy-Byronic. They sent their errant friend/loved one to the camp despite ardent protests. There are ten members attending, and they're dragging their feet getting here, but they're coming. Hopefully coming to camp and making some 'friends' can help them solve some of their life problems... Hopefully. The camp is cold at this time of year, and will soon be sealed off with snow. Already there's a two-foot-thick blanket of white over everything. The forests are secluded and wild, full of wildlife: bear, moose, wolves, and your typical woodland creatures. The woods have a certain untamed, dangerously alluring beauty at this time of year. But the campers had better be careful!

Spoiler! :
This is a great way to experiment with a character of your own or to have fun with one of your favorite characters from literature.

Rules:
Spoiler! :
1) Your character (Byronic Hero or Anti-Hero) can be your original creation or one that already exists (Like Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera or Charlotte Brontë's Mr. Rochester.)
2) They can be from any time period, dimension, or situation, since the place is run by the Time Travel Agency
3) They are allowed to bring one suitcase and a pet, if they have one.
4) Characters cannot kill each other off. No one dies unless the character's owner kills them.
5) Keep it rated PG-13. Cursing is allowed but keep it tasteful.
6) The camp is twenty-one days or three weeks long. Please put the day of the week and the number on top so we can all keep track. Everyone arrives on Monday of the first week and does not leave until the 21st day, a Sunday.
7) If your character has made any friends while there, the Time Travel Agency will give them a communicator so they can keep in contact.
8 ) The Time Travel Agents DO NOT appear, manifest, or speak. They are invisible and silent, period. They just run things.
9) Every day, everyone is summoned to the fire ring in the center of camp to talk to each other. It's part of the therapy. Also, the ten members are split up into five cabins, so there will be roommates. The invisible Time Agency workers will organize activities- hikes, group quests, etc.- that the campers MUST participate in, no matter how distasteful they might find it. Remember, they are doing it for the sake of someone they love.
10) Put character profile in sidebar, please!
11) Ask for a slot in the DT
12) Keep all discussion in the DT
13) No duplicate characters: we can't have more than one Phantom of the Opera running around and generally making psychopathic messes. I think even the Time Travel Agency wouldn't be able to handle all that.

Character profile:
Spoiler! :
Time Period/ Dimension:
Typical Clothing:
Basic Personality Description:
Pet Description (if applicable):
Short Backstory:
Who Sent them to Camp:
Relationship to that person:

Slots:
Spoiler! :
1) King Dominik Cadeyrn (@ladcat13)
2) Avery Plasket (@TinyJarStoredDreams)
3) Silver Raine Blade (@SharraeWilson)
4) June Ebborsyn (@Holysocks)
5) Nira Barshuna (@AMDDOG)
6) (@JKHatt)
7) Wizard Howl Pendragon (@TakeThatYouFiend)
8 ) Tais Worthrik (@happyslappy13)
9) (@Kanome)
10)
Last edited by ladcat13 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

120 Reviews

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:21 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

1st Post! Monday, Day 1: early morning

Dominik Cadeyrn

I reined my horse in at the top of the road and pulled my cloak closer to ward off the biting chill. My battle charger danced to one side nervously as a gust of wind whipped the fallen snow up off the ground and into his flank. He wasn't sure what to make of this strange world with its hugeness, its black-paved roads, acrid smells and bizarre machines. Neither of us were. I had been offered some modern clothing and a ride in one of those self-powered carts- I believe the dossier had said they were called cars- but I had respectfully declined. It was weird enough to come here at all, and especially without Arwyn.

At least the camp seemed rustic enough- a little more my speed. I could deal with camping. The road curved off to the left and ended in a large oblong pool of pavement with marked-off spaces for the cars when they were stopped. A long, low building with paneled doors and softly glowing lamps squatted at one end, and they looked a good deal like stables. The brow of this large hill was cleared of trees for a huge area, with five comfortable-looking log cabins set back toward the trees. At the very center was a fire circle with a raised bench and a podium. Behind this was a long dining hall of sorts, and behind that a lavatory. In the early-morning dimness it all seemed deserted and eerily empty to me. With a shiver I turned me horse's head toward the stable-looking thing and cantered there, riding easily in the saddle. My horse was the best money could breed and I would be disappointed to have to leave him there. People felt a natural deference to mounted men, especially six-foot four mounted men who wore a sword and cape and whose horse was built massively.

The door to the nearest stable lifted with a mechanical sound, as if it automatically sensed that I was there and that I wished to enter. My horse shied a bit, as did I, until I noticed a figure approach through the snow. Obviously they had operated the mechanism. But seeing them did not put me any more at ease. The clothing had shape and substance, but that substance was invisible so that it looked like the coat and scarf was walking on its own. I made a sign to ward off evil as I dismounted even though I had been told exactly what these things were... Time Travel Agents or something of the like. It tried to grab and carry my bag from the saddle for me but my horse whinnied shrilly, side-stepping and threatening to kick the specter. The hat turned and I think if it had had a visible face, it would have been shooting me a glare that said 'why the hell didn't you just take a car like a normal person?'.

"I am the normal one. To me you are all strange and abnormal," I muttered under my breath as I unfastened my bag and handed it to the thing while taking care not to touch it. It occurred to me as it turned away that it probably couldn't hear me and I was just imagining things, my superstitions were fueled by the foreign ghostliness of this place. I looked forward to the following three weeks with dread. No doubt I would be forced to participate in sickeningly cheesy camp songs with people who wanted to be here less than I did, the food would be mediocre at best, it would snow buckets, and worst of all I would not see Arwyn for the best part of a month.

The Time-Travel Agent followed me silently as I led my horse into the stable-looking thing. Obviously it was meant for cars and not horses, as the floor was stone and the walls were bare. But evidently someone had thought ahead and considered their guests from other time periods. At the far end there were a few large stalls with clean straw, water, and food already laid. I chose the largest and the nicest for my own steed and untacked him, rubbing him down briefly with the curry brush that was there before picking up the saddle and bridle and carrying them with me out of the building. I didn't trust to leave them hanging on the pegs that were provided for that purpose, out in the open where other people came and went. I was fond of that saddle- it was well broken-in and shaped, comfortable from frequent use and attentive care.

The Agent took me from the building and silently began to lead me toward the cabin on the far left. I shook my head and stubbornly headed off right- toward the one that was closest to the lavatory. The Agent stamped its foot and pointed one gloved hand to the one on the left, but I sneered at the thing.

"I might not be a king here, but it is still below my dignity to go and do as others tell me. I will pick my own cabin, and if you don't like it I shall simply carry my own bag,"

And with that I turned and continued toward the cabin of my choice. I heard the Agent thingy turn and follow huffily, or at least, as huffily as a thing with no face and no voice could. It dumped my bag on the porch rather unceremoniously and stalked off toward the dining hall the second we reached the cabin. I wasn't sorry to see it go.

Inside the cabin, I bristled when I saw the room. There was a fireplace with cut wood neatly stacked aside it, two dressers, a table and two chairs, and heavy curtains over the windows to keep out foul weather. The wooden floor had no rug or mat but was polished smooth enough to avoid splinters. Overall it seemed comfortable enough. But what made me recoil was the set of bunk beds. Bunk beds! Of all the asinine ideas for this place, a bunk bed! It made me want to leave right that second and go home to my wife. But then I remembered that the aforementioned wife had sworn before I left that if I came back early I would return to a cold bed, and it would stay cold for twice the time I was supposed to be gone. I would not put it past Arwyn to make good on that threat- not by a long shot.

At least the bunk beds were sturdily built and had thick mattresses as well as heavy blankets for the cold winter nights. I had made it here before anyone else, so I dropped my bag next to the lower bunk and stretched my lanky frame out on it, satisfied that at least it was tall enough and wide enough to accommodate my height comfortably. My roommate would no doubt be bitter that I had claimed the lower (and thus less annoying) bunk, but I had arrived first and thus was allowed first choice. The thought of a roommate made me cringe. I hadn't shared a room with anyone in my life! I'd sooner dive off a cliff side.

Actually, that was probably an exaggeration. There might have been a time in my life when depression could have driven me to self-harm, but now I had Arwyn, who would kill me if I killed myself. I had something to live for. Two things, in fact, I amended myself with a small, fleeting smile.

Staring at the underside of the bunk above me, I wondered how they were doing. I hoped Arwyn's ladies-in-waiting were doing a good enough job of making sure she got her rest, and just taking care of her in general. She was too much on her feet, too reckless with her health. She thought that just because she was with child did not mean she was automatically an invalid. But I worried about her. If I returned in a month and found that she was ill, I might start beheading people regardless...

Speaking of beheading, across the campsite I picked up the sound of one of those infernally noisy engines revving up the hill, no doubt bringing another unfortunate camper with it. This countryside was ridiculously steep, folded into high peaks and low, watery valleys. It was a wonder those bulky machines made it anywhere on the winding mountain roads without crashing. If I was lucky, maybe this one would catch fire.

But bleed from thorns

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 pm
View Likes
AMDDOG says...

Day one
Nira Barshuna.

I stepped out of the old vehicle with a scowl. I handed the driver a small chip, containing the money of my time, and walked away ignoring his baleful glare. I held only a small messenger bag containing my tablet, lap-screen, and hover board. Everything else had, supposedly, been taken ahead of me. I flicked my sunglasses down and turned it on. Music played in my head and my vision turned green. Everything around me was downloaded into a digital map, for me to use later. I passed a snotty animal, which my computers identified as a horse, trying to kick at the Time Agents. I smiled extremely faintly and walked to the cabin, where my bags where resting on front step. I picked up the cases and walked into the cabin. It looked fine, thought the only problem was the, how do I say it, odor? It was strange.... I mean, I loved finding what little nature is left in my time, and I love the smell of wood but..... It almost smelled like, decay. I poked through the cabin unable to find anything. I sighed, these are going to be very long weeks.
"I hide myself with music I never show my feelings, always keeping things bottled inside. I hate to be you when I expose it all. When I tell you how you've made me feel, you'll never be able to look at me the same way again"-HPLYRIXZ.com

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Apparently the time agents wanted Howl to come into their dimension in a car, by using a simple portal. But Howl wasn't like that.
Over the fields, looming like a cliff of obsidian stone, the moving castle ground its way. Black smoke burst from the tall chimneys, and stood out against the dullish pink sky. Birds flung themselves from bushes as the mountain of stone swaggered towards them on short, spindly legs.
The castle did not come all the way to the camp however. It stopped, in a woosh of smoke from the chimney, and lowered itself to the ground, crushing the underlying shrubbery. From the camp, someone with exceedingly good vision might just make out a figure, stepping down from one side of the castle. Someone with the aid of field binoculars might even see him putting on a pair of chunky looking boots. Carefully, the distant figure turned to face camp, and vanished.
In a rush of cold winter air Howl appeared in camp, with his ornamental blue and gold coat billowing dramatically. In one hand he held a pair of impractically long shiny buckle boots, and with the other he was struggling slightly to remove a boot-like contraption from his left foot.
The time agent stood watching this with an air of grace only obtainable through invisibility and practiced ease. Something about not having a visible face made the agent's unamused expression all the more obvious.
Howl removed the contraption. It was a ten league boot, with a slight adaption to allow it to travel different distances.He hastily put on his other boots, then stood up, giving the time agent a winning smile.
"So, are you going to give me a tour then? Show me the bunk houses and all?"
The time agent said nothing, but took out a slate and chalk, and wrote in unemotional block capitals "where is your luggage?"
Howl grinned, and clicked his fingers, which sparked slightly. A suitcase, black with a gold edge, appeared beside him. The time agent then started walking away, and made a quick gesture with his hand that Howl should follow. Howl clicked his fingers again, and the case levitated a few inches of the ground, and as Howl confidently followed the Agent, the case obediently followed Howl.
Howl was taken to a box like cabin. A wooden sign was shoddily nailed above to door, and in black tar-like paint were written the words "Male Bunkhouse." Howl immediately wondered where the women's bunk house was. He turned to the Agent, about to ask, but before he could, he was handed a small key. As soon as the key entered Howl's hand, the clothing that had described the whereabouts of the time agent disappeared. Left like this, Howl pushed open the door of the bunkhouse. It wasn't locked, so Howl pocketed the key for later use. The bunk house was small, neat, basic and cold: the chill of the winter air. Although lessened, was still noticeable. On one of the bunks sat a man in some sort of doublet and quite quite aggressive looking clothing. The only air of sophistication about him was the scarlet cape/cloak he wore around his neck. Howl looked down at his own clothing: His trousers were topaz blue, with black shiney long buckled shoes, and he wore a blue and gold coat with extremely long sleeves over a silken slightly frilly shirt. He was perfumed, and he had made sure he was fully prepared and ready at the start of this camp.
This other man looked up. His face was thick-set and stony, and even without expression looked aggressive. Howl sat on the the other bunk and reclined casually.
"Good evening," said Howl cordially, "what's your name?"

Spoiler! :
*leaves @ladcat13 with the difficult task of dialogue and character interaction*
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:15 am
ChimeraMania says...

Silver Blade.

'It's time to leave my love.' I sat there stubbornly, acting as if my love isn't there. I don't want to acknowledge his presence, if I do, I know he'd teleport me there, still against my will. I don't know who let him keep his powers even in death. He always tells me he will still be around and still have them until he finishes his last dying wish. Seeing as I cannot and will not complete it, he has to.

I look in the other direction, towards the packed bags as they disappear before my eyes. I wish the Travel Agents had denied his request. I don't need to go to a camp, I don't need to learn how to be social after my love. I am capable and fine on my own.

'Darling, it is time.' He says after the last of my bags are gone. I wanted to glare at him, but that would mean looking his way and I am smart enough not to. He has to look at someone to teleport them in his state.

I felt his essence coming closer, it always calmed me. I felt his cold air brush against my cheek. That's how he feels now, like cold air, not warm and not full, just empty, cold, and air.

'This is for you Raine.' He's always been the only one to call me that.

"No, no this is for you. If it was for me then you'd let me be and continue to see you, but no. You want me to go and move on. Did you love me at all?" I say while looking at him, and then I regretted it when I find myself in a snow covered forest. I groaned into the morning sky, realizing I feel into his trap. He can get me to do anything whenever he says that or something resembling that.

'With my last dying breath, I did my love.' Were his parting words that filled the air around me. I started walking, not caring where I was heading but knowing it would be that dreadful place.

"Thieving bass...always getting to me...lucky I loved his...can't leave me be...I hate...love...ugh....stupid man." I started muttering. I watched as the snow near my feet melted before my feet touched the ground. I was happy with the powers I have, granted to me by my mother and father. Father gave me fire, and mother death, to her it was a curse but to me, I get to see and talk to my love, so I am happy. Will until he uses it to tell me to move on. He should know by now that I can't, but apparently not because he's sending me here as his last attempt.

As I walk everything is silent, not even the animals make a sound, not even the dead in this land moves. Although, I have this feeling, a feeling as if only person person has died in this place. Other than that, I feel the spirits of the others here. These spirits are those who laid down their lives for the man who was killed. In my head I applaud their sacrifice; I was never granted the chance.

When I exit the woods, I come out across a road from a lot of blank space. I groan knowing there are going to be loud, over populated, over used machines to fill us that lot. I like the peace and quiet. Then I hear the noise of an animal, which peaked my curiosity, so I walked in the direction of a building type thing, making me tilt my head to side trying to figure it out.

Walking towards it I hear the animal more clearly, then I see it. It's an animal I haven't seen nor touched since...then. I stare at this animal until something escapes me and I quickly walk away and towards the cabins I choose not to care for. I hear a familiar bark coming from one of the cabins and smile. Baby always knows when mamma's coming.

I walk towards that cabin, and walk up the stairs, greeting him in my arms. "Hello baby." I start to coo, until I walk into the cabin and look around. I'm greeted by an unhealthy cabin along with an unhealthy stranger. Unhealthy to me because of what it is, female. I looked at her for quite some time, than glanced towards the sky/ceiling picturing my love there watching me.

"So not only am I here, I have to bunk as well. If I could spit without it falling back down I would. If you weren't my love nor dead I curse you to death Kin." I finished my whisper/yell, knowing 'female' I have the "privileged" to bunk with can't hear my words. When I talk to the dead no one can hear me but they can witness it. I look down at my only love within this camp and talk to his mind. 'I thought it would be just us, as long as the she doesn't touch my stuff.' With that and ignoring her, I start putting some stuff away so I can go outside and be alone.

Spoiler! :
Sorry @AMDDOG, she doesn't really like other women or girls in her mind, but don't worry she will almost likely to talk to you than any male, whom she'd ignore until fully irritated. The reason why it says "knowing 'female' I have the..." instead of the female or something different is because the way she says it is an insult. She is very sarcastic, although truthful. So I know it may not sound right, but she is still a woman of few words, but a lot of insults (that make since to her).

120 Reviews

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

It startled me slightly when my so-called roommate entered with a suitcase that floated eerily behind him. He managed to make climbing up to and sitting in the upper bunk seem weirdly easy. I took in his flashy clothing and ridiculous-looking smile with a slight sneer as he wished me a good evening, asking my name. He leaned over to peer down at me in my bunk, his wide grin never reaching his blue eyes. It occurred to me a split second before the words were out of my mouth that it might be a good idea to be polite and diplomatic, but something about this queer character annoyed me thoroughly and I was in no mood to engage in pleasantries.

"In case you haven't noticed, it's morning, not evening. And my name is Dominik Cadeyrn, but-"

The person interrupted me. "Oh! Well then Good morning, Mr. Cadeyrn, or can I just call you Dominik? Howsabout-"

"-The proper form of address is 'your majesty' or 'sire'." I re-interjected, turning my eyes back to the ceiling of my bunk as if I had become bored with the conversation. Which, of course, I had. The other man's face darkened for a moment but then his cheeky smile was back again with a vengeance.

"Who died and made you King?"

"My father, actually. I inherited the throne by succession,"

"Throne of where, exactly?"

"Someplace you've never heard of,"

"Oh really? Try me. I've heard of most places, including realms you haven't dreamed of!"

Now he was truly rubbing me the wrong way. The less I could share with this boastful, arrogant little fop, the better. He barely looked twenty-five: I had to be at least half a decade his senior.

"Watch your tongue, boy. You annoy me,"

This only seemed to inflame him further and I was aware that the air around him was humming slightly with something malicious and powerful. Unseen to him, my left hand crept to my waist and curled around the grip of my sword. His smile faded and was replaced by a deep scowl as he hopped down from his bunk to stand next to mine. I remained where I was.

"Boy? How dare you? You have tangled with the wrong man, petty King! I am Wizard Howl Pendragon!"

I snorted dryly. "I take it I'm supposed to swoon now? Good thing I'm already lying down,"

"Good thing indeed! In fact, I think you shall stay lying down until you learn to play nice!"

He raised his hands and out of the corner of my eye I was aware of something shadowy and threatening loom over me, invisible in form but tangible to the senses all the same. With the speed of a snake I rolled from the bed and leapt to my feet, my sword seeming to slide from the scabbard of its own volition. Pendragon whirled and attempted to re-aim the spell at me, but in one quick motion I flicked the blade upward from the waist and cleaved his spell in half. I sensed it fall to either side and dissipate. Pendragon's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open in disbelief.

"How... how did you... That's not possible! Swords aren't supposed to... to..."

"It's enchanted," I explained monotonically as I inspected and sheathed the blade, satisfied that there was no residue on it.

"By what?"

"I should think it is Who, not what."

"Then for the love of all that's holy WHO ENCHANTED YOUR SWORD?"

"My wife,"

With a groan Pendragon pinched the bridge of his nose and fell into one of the two chairs, massaging his temples as if he felt a migraine coming on.

"When this little session in hell is over I have to meet your wife,"

I looked him up and down, cocking one eyebrow sarcastically. He was a young, blonde, strapping and charming man who oozed flirtation from the top of his head to the bottoms of his ridiculous boots. The thin gold wedding band on his right ring finger did nothing to put me at ease. Not to mention, we had just tried to kill each other within the first five minutes of meeting. And worse, I would have to spend three weeks in his company. By the end of this 'little session in hell' I had a feeling that we would most likely be dire enemies. I shook my head.

"Not going to happen."

"Oh please? At least pretend not to be a pompous, moody, arrogant son-of-a-gun! I swear my head might explode if I can't at least talk to the woman,"

I could not help but burst out laughing when he said this. He sounded so petulant!

"I think your head might explode if you do! She'll not exactly be in the mood for your antics,"

"Oh crap. Don't tell me she's worse than you!"

"On the contrary. She's about as close to an angel as a mortal being can get, in the literal and figurative sense,"

"You're contradicting yourself now. I don't like being confused, so please explain yourself,"

I chuckled dryly once more, shaking my head as I moved to begin unpacking my bags. I might as well, to give my hands something to do besides wrapping around his thin little neck and squeezing it. "I have a feeling that, if nothing else, this month is going to be amusing!"

Spoiler! :
@TakeThatYouFiend I thought it would be hilarious if, by the end of the camp, those two were friends. Dominik doesn't really do the friend thing but I imagine they could have some pretty interesting conversations and provide some comedic releif. And if you don't like anything I did just tell me and we can collab ;)

But bleed from thorns

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

In the scabbard Howl had been unable to see it, but now the sword's enchantment was brightly visible to Howl, like a concentrated point of light and heat in the blade. This man (he still hadn't told Howl his name, and that peeved him greatly,) was casually fiddling with it, swinging it around and turning it in his hand, despite its obvious weight.

Howl looked up from massaging his temples so that this other person could see him more clearly. He brushed his long perfect hair back and smiled. "Well I certainly hope it will be amusing, I can certainly see little else to entertain me. So tell me about this wife of yours. You've been very mysterious so far, and your world doesn't seem to be one I have visited."

The other person sat back, and looked pleased to have Howl's attention. "I am king of an island which before my father's reign was ruled by Fae Folk. My father seized control using a star-metal, which he crafted into a sword. However, at the start of my rule, there seemed to be rebellion brewing, and so I married the last of the Fae to enforce my legitimacy."

"Well that's something we have in common at least."

"What exactly? I take it you haven't married a Fae as well."

"My wife sent me here, against my will, as well."

The other man looked confused at this, and Howl grinned, sitting back in his chair, waiting for the question.

"How do you know my wife sent me?"

"Keep up. You are obviously here against your will, and as a king you don't have to take orders from anyone. Anyone, that is, but your other half."

The king ignored the smug look on Howl's face after this explanation, and just said "So who are you exactly. I've told you my background. What's yours?"

Howl smiled. "Well, at the moment I am royal wizard to the king of the lands of Ingary. I reside in a large moving castle with my fire demon Calcifer, who was a falling star who only survived because I gave him my heart." the king looked shocked, but Howl continued. "I was rescued from our oath with Calcifer, which was slowly killing both of us, by Sophie, who is now my wife. She has a strange talent for magic, whereby she is cross at things and they do what she says. When she had an object, for instance a stick, she talked to it and over time she gave it a life force. This is what she did to Calcifer so he could survive without my heart. It's a lot more complex that that, but that is basically it."

"So how did Sophie get you to come here?"

"You don't want to see an angry Sophie."

Howl got up, and stretched. "Excuse me, I have to unpack." Howl walked over to his suitcase, and turned it so it was standing on one end. It was large, and almost as high as Howl himself. Howl clicked his fingers, and it swung open. Inside, was a small room. You could see around the back, but through the aperture of the suitcase was a different room, in apparent defiance of all the laws of physics. Howl calmly stepped in. It was small, with rails on either side, and clothes hanging up all around. A small sink surround with potions and lotions. Howl took a small box from beneath the sink, and walked out of the case, which snapped shut behind him. The king watched him through all of this, surprised, but relatively cool.
Howl placed the box on a small shelf next to the bunk. It was wooden and ornamental, and had no apparent opening. But when Howl waved his hand over it, the top slid off. Inside, was a small stick of chalk, an photograph in an ornamental frame, a small vial of liquid, an alarm clock, and a number of small leather pouches. Howl took out the clock and the photograph, placing them on the shelf, before closing the box.

The king looked at the photograph. "Who's that?'" The photograph showed an old woman, maybe 90, with silvery hair and a wrinkled stern face.

"That," said Howl, "is Sophie."

Spoiler! :
Sophie was under an enchantment for most of the book, but was returned to her youth in the end. Thank you for waiting for me to post @Holysocks.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:57 pm
Holysocks says...

June- Day one.

It wasn't what he had expected. It was quiet – the whole place – workers and all. June had expected there to be people running about ordering him around, folks complaining, tons of fights, and yelling. He had expected a lot of yelling. But there was nothing of that. The yard was completely silent, even the Time Travel agent hadn't engaged in any sort of discussion on their drive... he had heard that they wouldn't, but was that really going to stop him from trying? He had even tried singing some of the most annoying children's carols he could remember from back home, in hopes that the driver would tell him to shut up. But all it had got him was a sore throat.

The Time Travel agent gestured for June to follow him, and he didn't care to object to the man who controlled where he slept. He led him to a little cabin past a few other identical ones that looked somewhat inhabited, with snowy foot prints leading into their entrances. The one that they approached however, had none. The snow was untouched, and June felt a slight pang of loneliness at the thought of being the first in this cabin. He had always grown up with ample persons around him, and so he was used to having someone to talk to. It didn't help that he had no one to talk to for the long drive to the camp... but now there wasn't going to be anyone else sharing his space?

The agent fiddled with a key in the lock, and finally the door lurched open. Inside, was just as cold and lonely as the outside had looked. There was a bunk bed on the left side of the room. Maybe there will be someone to talk to after all... he thought, then quickly scolded himself for being so needy.

“Thank you, sir.” June said to the agent as he fled the cabin, no doubt happy to be away from the potential torture of his eardrums.

June padded over to the bunk bed, and sighed. Apparently they hadn't taken into account his height. He shoved his bag under the bottom bunk and then gripped the ladder firmly. He decided that the top bunk would be best, since both bunks would require the ladder, and if he did end up with a room mate, it would would look less ridiculous.

He climbed to the top, settled in under the cozy wool quilt, and promptly fell asleep.
100% autistic

25 Reviews

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm
AMDDOG says...

I looked at the girl who walked into the room. She seemed.... too.... you know what, I don't even know. I plopped down onto the bottom bunk and unpacked my things. Taking out eight small discs. All about as thin as a piece of paper. I twisted a few knobs and pressed a few buttons until they became about an inch wide. I pushed them onto the bottom of the bunk above me. I pressed a button and a very large cylinder opened. I put my neatly folded clothes into the cylinder. I pushed it up and the disk resumed it's inch wide position. In the others I put, book flats, extra memory chips, and back up food. I'm a stress eater. What can I say?
took the blanket from off of the bunk and hung it so no one could see me from the outside. The window let in some light, so I opened it. The crisp winter air made me feel slightly better. I turned back to the blanket and was surprised to see the one man who I've yearned for since I stepped onto this godforsaken land. Jack Holton himself, poking his face through the blanket. "Well I need to guess your name don't I?" He said with a smile. "yes" my mouth said against my will. I moved surprised to feel mud on my clothing. "Hm... Rose?" He said. "No and get out." I said scowling and pushing the blanket back down. "Hey watch it!" An unfamiliar voice snapped. I blinked and Jack was gone, replaced by the new girl. I sighed. My memory chip had glitched. "Get out." I said pushing her face.
"No"
"This is my personal space GET OUT."
"It's blocking the ladder"
"Suck it up butter cup"
She ripped down my blanket and stalked out.
"Well fine!" I yelled, then I took out my dried ice cream and buried my face in it.
"I hide myself with music I never show my feelings, always keeping things bottled inside. I hate to be you when I expose it all. When I tell you how you've made me feel, you'll never be able to look at me the same way again"-HPLYRIXZ.com

152 Reviews

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 am
ChimeraMania says...

When I was putting my things away, I noticed the redhead start to put her things away, and like she ignored me I ignored her. I went to the bathroom and caw a cabinet and put all of my necessities on the top shelf. When I went back into the room I noticed the bed sheet from the top bunk was covering the bottom.

I thought to myself about what gave her the right to touch my stuff. I was okay with ignoring her but this is something that I can not ignore. I walked over there and pulled the curtain back but before I could say anything she spoke first.

"Yes," I didn't expect her to know I was coming to talk to her. "No and get out." Then she pulls the blanket back down and out of my hands roughly.

"Hey watch it." I huffed out then reopened my blanket.

"Get out." She said again and pushed my face and that almost did it.

"No."

"This is my personal space GET OUT."

"It's blocking the ladder." My emotions just went up a little bit more.

"Suck it up butter cup."

I ripped the blanket down and stormed out the room. That little tyrant just got my blood boiling. "Suck it up butter cup." I mocked her. "Of course she'd say something as idiotic as that. Suck it up butter cup. Who does she think she is?"

I realized that the air around me was getting hotter, yet I felt as cool as a cucumber. I looked down and my hands and feet and saw my hands on fire while me feet burnt wholes in the ground. This has never happened before.

I looked up. "Is this what you want Kin?" I spat his name. "For me to stay here and be like this." I lifted up my hands. "Who's fate have you doom there's or mines? I will go crazy here."

I waiting for an answer, there wasn't any. I waiting for a sign that he heard me, yet still nothing. I waiting for something and I got nothing. So I scream and cursed him for sending me here, for dying, and for not staying or loving me so he could stay.

I don't know when but I dropped to my knees and was crying into the ground, but my flame just burned higher. It was up to my elbow on my right arm. I curse that little redheaded female to the pits of were this fire burns inside me. A bottom less pit of ashes.

I screamed again not even caring if someone hear me and after my scream my flame went out, but I just sat there feeling empty, feeling nothing.

"This is why I didn't want to come here Kin. I didn't want to feel empty Kin."

120 Reviews

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:38 pm
ladcat13 says...

Day 1, Mid-morning
Dominik

In the fire ring atop the brow of the hill I had found a seat on the highest and furthest-back bench away from the podium. Theoretically everyone in camp should have assembled shortly after sunrise, but between everyone filtering into camp, unpacking, and then refusing to respond to the summons bell, it had taken the Time Travel agents an hour and a half to drag our reluctant asses out of the cabins and through the snow to the sickeningly quaint fire circle. I had been told that there would be ten people at this godforsaken retreat but as I looked around I saw only five including myself. I smirked. If the Time Travel Agency or whatever-the-hell-they-were had thought this would be a good idea, they were sorely mistaken. This bunch looked just about ready to kill one another on the spot.

Pendragon was studying the two women approvingly despite the wedding ring on his finger, though considering the way his wife currently looked I couldn't blame him. I didn't know much about that back story as the wizard had refused to say much more, but I did sense that there was a lot I was missing. The redhead was ignoring him, or maybe she wasn't even paying attention in the first place. Her head bobbed slightly to the unheard rhythm of the music which played through the tiny wires in her ears. I'd read in the dossier that the contraptions used electrical currents to manipulate sound waves and that in many time periods is was common for people to enjoy music this way. It was all far beyond me, and at this point I was simply accepting each new oddity as it came and slapped me in the face.

The other woman, who looked and smelled like death and occasionally emitted a puff of dark smoke from her hands, was glaring back at the wizard with eyes that would send Satan running with his tail between his legs. Something about her made me shiver, and I avoided looking at her. I could see why she was here. Across the circle there sat a young man of slim build and strange clothing who had pasted what was obviously a false smile on his face. But I noticed that, like everyone else, he had chosen to sit as far away from others as possible on a bench alone. His eyes met mine briefly and I sneered- I was fond of that expression. Arwyn found it unattractive but she wasn't here, now was she?

Abruptly a Time Travel Agent marched into the fire circle, its invisible feet planting each boot in the snow with forceful indignance. It took the podium in the center of the mulched ring and glared at us all, or at least, I got the sense that it was glaring. Then it removed its gloves and the sleeves twitched back and forth a few inches above the glowing glass surface of the podium. I believed the thing was called a screen, and most of those around me seemed unperturbed so I matched their coolness. The agent finally swept its transparent hands up and a broad, flat projection of light was thrown in front of us so suddenly that I nearly toppled off the bench backwards. Thankfully I had the balance of a cat or I (and Pendragon too, who was also sitting on the top bench a ways to my left) would have ended up with my rump in the snow drift below me. How very undignified that would have been!

On the projection were a few words, obviously what the Time Travel Agent needed to communicate. 'YOU ARE ALL VERY LATE' they spelled out. I saw the boy with the fake smile shrug, and I would have emulated the movement if I had cared enough to. The Agent's posture suggested it was unsatisfied with our reply. The redhead was still tapping in time with her music and not listening, her eyes unfocused and her attention obviously somewhere else. The agent's next message said 'MISS BARSHUNA, PLEASE REMOVE YOUR HEADSETS AND LISTEN UP'.

She probably hadn't even seen the message as she wasn't really facing it anyway. The agent looked pointedly at the other woman as if saying 'can you get her attention please'? The woman did no such thing and, in a motion filled with frustration, the agent scooped up a piece of mulch from the floor and flicked it at the redhead. It bounced off her temple and got her attention, and she huffed with annoyance as she put her headsets away.

'NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, I'LL SHOW YOU THE AGENDA FOR TODAY. BREAKFAST WAS AT 7:00 AM BUT YOU ALL MISSED IT, SO YOU WILL SIMPLY HAVE TO GO WITHOUT. FROM NOW ON THE BELL WILL ROUSE YOU AT 6:00 AM AND YOU WILL REPORT TO THE DINING HALL AT 7:00 AM THEN COME HERE AFTER YOUR MEAL FOR A BRIEFING ON THE DAY'S ACTIVITIES. THE LUNCH BELL RINGS AT 11:30 AM AND YOU ARE GIVEN FORTY-FIVE MINUTES TO EAT BEFORE MOVING ON. THE DAY'S ACTIVITIES WILL END AT 6:30 PM WITH DINNER, AFTER WHICH YOU HAVE THE EVENING FREE UNTIL CURFEW AT 8:00 PM. THIS WILL BE THE ROUTINE FOR THE DURATION OF THE RETREAT'

"Curfew? What do you think we are, children?" pouted the redhead, flinging a bit of mulch at the Time Travel Agent and missing. He ignored all of our obvious indignation and continued to write his messages on the projection.

'TODAY WE WILL START BY INTRODUCING OURSELVES. YOU FIRST, MR. CADEYRN,'

Upon finishing reading the message, all eyes turned to me. I scowled.

'"The proper form of address is-"

"Yeah yeah, we get it, your hiney. Just say your name, not your title," interrupted Pendragon. If I could have reached him I would have strangled him right there.

"Says the man who calls himself 'Howl'!" I retorted. The Agent shot me another one of its invisible looks and I crossed my arms.

"My name is Dominik Cadeyrn," I growled, knowing it would probably be a bad idea to draw my sword on the Time Travel Agent but wishing I could all the same.

The boy with the false smile's name was June, the Satan-woman was called Silver, the redhead was Nira, and I had already met my roommate, who was now walking about with a veritable death sentence hanging over his head. I resolved to put some laxatives in his food later on- that would be amusing. The medicine of this time period was far faster-acting and more effective too.

Once all had been introduced we were allowed a moment to sit and scowl at each other. Then the Time Travel Agent felt the need to write again.

'OUR FIRST ACTIVITY OF THE DAY WILL BE TO TAKE A HIKE IN THE FOREST TO THE ARCHERY RANGE.'

June groaned.

"You're going to make us learn things now? Is that it? Are we going to go all happy-go-lucky camping with each other? What to you expect us to do, hold hands and walk down the trail while passing a sing-along song down the line?"

I didn't see much problem with it since I had been shooting a bow since I was big enough to hold it. And I would be spared the worst of the hike by the fact that I had a horse and I fully intended to ride it. Battle chargers did not do well in stables for long periods of time. The Time Travel Agent did not deign to re-type the message, only put it up once more for all to see.

'OUR FIRST ACTIVITY OF THE DAY WILL BE TO TAKE A HIKE IN THE FOREST TO THE ARCHERY RANGE,'

Translation: we're going to go and you're going to like it.

Spoiler! :
We could go into detail about it or we could sort of glaze over things as they happen, only focusing on the events and dialogue that was happening in the plot. What do you guys think?

But bleed from thorns

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:20 pm
happyslappy13 says...

*delete this post, I have no idea how*
Last edited by happyslappy13 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lelouch Vi Brittania commands you..."

25 Reviews

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:31 pm
AMDDOG says...

I hid a smile. Hiking! I love hiking! With so little trees in my time its hard to find places to hike. I touched the soar spot on my shoulder. I had gotten a tattoo of a rose, to remember jack with. Sadly a smile crept through my defenses and now I was smiling. Snapping out of my dream like trance I realized that a man was staring back at me. He smiled at me, which was basically a half smile. I frowned. Howl, as my computers identified him as, a fellow camper. My shirt slipped down on my shoulder exposing the rose. I hustled to pull it back up and notices Howl studying me more carefully. I gave him a sharp glare noticing his wedding ring. My fiery bangs slipped over my left eye and I let them. I got up and stalked after the Time Agent.
As we hiked I kept noticing Howl glancing my way. He was also watching the other girl, so I was less creeped out. Still I quickly hiked ahead of the Time Agent ignoring his protests. When I was almost certain no one could hear me, I began to sing. In my time, music is outlawed. So as soon as I got here I downloaded as many songs as I could on my memory chip and noticed that I could sing really well. I sang "I'm on my way" (from shrek witch is a REALLY good movie). I didn't even notice the men catching up to me.

152 Reviews

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 pm
ChimeraMania says...

Well I may not like hiking but I know Ryan does. I hid a smile on the inside. I get to put my baby in his snow-fit. Even though his fur keeps him warm during this weather, I still dress him up. I'm going to put him in a red snow jacket. He should enjoy his hike, as long as nobody messes with him. I surprised he didn't attach the redhead when I left him in the room with the female.

I glad Kin made him to where he stays small forever, I can cuddle with him every night and not worry about him drawing blood by scratching me. Although, just because he looks like a puppy doesn't mean he acts like a puppy. Ryan is very protective of me. No matter how much he'll enjoy this hike, he will be keeping these people away from me.

I personally hope he'll howl a threat at Howl. Something about him declares sneaky. I spotted his ring earlier, yet he stared at the redhead basically during this whole thing. I hate cheaters and, no matter how much I dislike the redhead, he decided to act on his thoughts, I'd be happy to give his wife a present.

His probably, along with the redhead, someone who I will not like during this whole...trip. The King, on the other hand, seems like he's never been told no. Then again, all Kings or future Kings are like that. I probably won't have any trouble out of him. The other boy either. He seems like he keeps to himself, and yet, he seems a little friendly. He's speech about himself went on longer than the Kings, well that's because Howl interrupted him. They must be roommates.

I left after the redhead, I don't remember what she said her name was. Okay, well I do, but I don't care for it. She's a redhead so her name is redhead in my book. I followed her to our cabin and got my lovely Ryan ready.

"Guess what Ryan baby." I say while digging through his luggage, of course he has his own bag, he has a lot of stuff he wanted to bring. "We're going hiking." When I said that, he started jumping around in a circle. I knew he'd want to go. Once I found his outfit, I put it on him. No need for a leash, he's an equal, not a pet.

"Let's go Ryan baby." I cooed at him. When I walked out, I noticed the Agents waiting for us a little distance away from all the cabins. I glanced a few feet away from them and notice the scotched spot hasn't filled with snow yet. I shrug; a moment of weakness is what I'm call that spot now. No matter if it was my moment.
SHUGGS = SWEET + HUGS (It makes since in my universe.)

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:33 pm
happyslappy13 says...

Hard, lumping snow fell from the sky, dropping as if without air resistance. He sat in a large vehicle, which swayed through winding roads and around frozen rivers. Tais sighed. A tight feeling gripped him, his mind compressed. He sat with leather straps bound tightly as if in a prison, though the vehicle was no such thing. He should have been surprised to see a surplus of these unusual works of technology, but they were not far from some of the constructions brought about by the Tech Guild in his world.

In his world.

The thought was as alien as everything else. He was used to a place with no more than a few thousand humans, but has been dropped into the past where he's been told there are billions. He wasn't entirely sure why, but he instinctively began thinking them as enemies, and in the back of his mind started to form strategies against his escorts.

Berring Croft. If any other person had asked him to go to this ‘camp,’ he would have refused without a second thought. But this man has taught him incredible amounts of tactics, skills, and abilities; Croft stretched his potential in ways he never considered possible. He was never wrong about the most beneficial option for Tais, as so (after weeks of persuasion) reluctantly agreed. He hazily remembered one of Croft’s rants, something about Tais’ tendency to ‘bringing down the world’ and how it ‘wasn’t good for his mental health.’ To great frustration, Tais relentlessly kept bringing up the fact that in doing so, he prevented a fate far worse than destruction. It did little to change the situation.

Bringing his thoughts back to the car he sat in, the tactician part of his mind never left the situation. He had finished analyzing each escort/guard in the vehicle, and decided that he could take each one of them down. If he wanted. It would simply take a few artful maneuvers to his sides, taking out the guards before the escorts noticed. Then he would simply materialize his Sphere and block any projectile weapons concealed in their pockets, and then…

“We’re almost there. I bet you never imagined this much snow, huh?” Tais’ thoughts broke as one escort shouted to the back.

Ugh. They were attempting to start conversation.

“No, I haven’t.” he muttered.

The escort (who wasn’t driving, of course) leaned back and showed a grin. “You’re late enough as it is. The goal was to get here before the camp got snowed in. But you were among the most difficult campers to round up, let alone you can’t provide transportation for yourself.”

Tais toyed with his hair, still wet from the outside. Drops of water crawled so annoyingly down his forehead. “And what of the other ‘campers?’ Are they all there, waiting? Do I have to endure their stares.”

The escort chuckled, shaking his head. “Time Agent Administrators informed me they’re taking a hike. Team-building exercise. Shame you’re missing out; you need it the most. Alas, you have the night to yourself until they return. I’m sure you will spend it…”

He paused eyeing the young man up and down.

“... most wisely.”

Tais shrugged and glanced out the nearly covered window. Just barely, he could make out the narrowed walls of the Time Agents’ camp.
"Lelouch Vi Brittania commands you..."

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value...
— John Oliver