z

Young Writers Society

Small People.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 am
Burrow says...

Well, it is a few hundred years in the future, not yet decided when, but the world is extremely over populated, we are running out of space etc. Running out of food, and many more things. The "big" countries come up with a "plan". The small people project.

It is really simple actually, they develop a shrink ray. Instead of being like we are now, we are half the size, but then that does not work. They again run out of space. They try this again, they repeat this process again, and again.

The humans, once the strongest race, are know weaker than ants, smaller.

They thought that everything would be ok, but what happens when the hunters become the hunted. Half the population are exterminated, by there prey, ants, insects anything that is bigger than us.

It is extremely hard to survive. The humans live in packs of 10-20 people. There is a leader, and doctor, 5 warriors, 3 food collectors. A cooker. And two Hunters. and the rest are simpleton, mostly children and older citizens.

It is a giant competition for survival. Your pack have found a great valley, with a huge river flowing through, abundance of berries and food, caves for shelter. It is the dream settlement. What happens though when, another pack stumbles upon your lovely home. Especially when they are this one...

So this is where it all starts.

There is a max of 20 people able to join this storybook.

All characters are free, message me on which one you want or just tell me on the discussion.

You can choose from:
Cooker.
Warrior Leader.
Hunters.
A food collector.
Doctor.

The task is to survive, and win against attacks from other clans. Start a small civilisation. Then move onto the Frontier, and Bring peace to all clans, all this under the guidance of your leader Jones.

Link to Discussion: Small People

Leader : @Burrow
Last edited by Burrow on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
“The end of suffering does not justify the suffering, and so there is no end to suffering, what a mess I am, I thought, what a fool, how foolish and narrow, how worthless, how pinched and pathetic, how helpless."

~Extremely loud and incredible close

103 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:14 am
View Likes
Burrow says...

Jones

Jones was mulling on this every time he wandered ahead of his clan, the Scavangers. They were set on exploring the world, looking for settlement. They had travelled for years, listening to tale's as they walked.

Jones was their leader, yet he was their scout. He walked hundred of metres ahead, scouting out, He ventured far and wide, for there home, as it was prophesized.

Jones, was to bring peace to all clans. But first he needed to settle his clan, then he would move out, toward the frontier of clans. Each and everyone he would tell the tales. The tales that were truth once, legends once, and myths know. Everyone must know of the Small People Project.

He stumbled over a small rock, he heard it fumble down the large hill before him, he watched the pebble brush through a large bush, that's when he looked up. Looked up to see it. There new home. What a wondrous site, A giant river, no man could conger. Wood in abundance, bushes of food.

Beatrice, was pushing the elderly through a large bush when she noticed Jones running towards him. "Bean's, Bean's I found it, I found our home!" Jones shouted at her.

Jones smiled at her, everyone else smiled at him, there joy in there faces, would not hide no longer.

Welcome to home, Scavangers to Our home, Beyond the frontier of the clans, pass the mountains of Lorden. Across the seas of Dusten. Welcome to the settlement of Copter, home of us.
“The end of suffering does not justify the suffering, and so there is no end to suffering, what a mess I am, I thought, what a fool, how foolish and narrow, how worthless, how pinched and pathetic, how helpless."

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:43 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

The journey hadn't exactly been enjoyable. There were elderly people in the group, people who needed to be cared for. One old man couldn't even walk, so she had been assigned the task of pushing him along in a wheelchair made of a nutshell. This made the journey so slow, when Beatrice just wanted to be out among the grass looking for a meal. The man was also under the impression that she wished to talk to him, which made the journey even more tiring.

Beatrice had felt greatly relieved when the group's leader, Jones, had run up to them, announcing the wonderful news. It was certainly about time that they found a new permanent home and, by the sound of things, this place was a marvel.

She couldn't help but let out a squeal of delight, her curiosity getting the better of her. She had to see this place. Right now, she had to see it. Forgetting how irritated the old man had made her, she began pushing him at an outrageous speed as she ran to where Jones was leading the group.

And then she saw it. How long and wide Beatrice could not tell, the body of water was like something from the legends of the old settlement. It was a perfect blue with glistening streaks of silver, and beside it was her new home. There were a lot of small caves all around the world, but this one was magnificent. She couldn't wait to get inside and examine the crystals which were surely inside it.

Then the thought hit her. With all the people on the planet, how had no one else claimed this beautiful piece of land?
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:53 am
View Likes
SecreteJournalist says...

AJ

AJ stayed a good 10 minutes away from The Scavengers at all times. There were plenty of herbs and plants that they often passed, so she stayed behind to pick and place them into a satchel she carried on her shoulder. They would have medical herbs for months if she kept finding them.

Before too long, her bag was full. So after checking to make sure she could literally fit nothing more into her satchel, she jogged to catch up with her clan, watching as the leader hugged a girl who seemed to be caring for the Elders.

With a smile, AJ relished in the fact that they had find their home. After pausing for a short break, she scouted the area for a place she could use as a Medicine Hut.
"I write for fear of silence." Apartment - Young The Giant

103 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:05 am
Burrow says...

Jones

Jones smile at AJ as she was the last to walk in the valley, he offered to take the bag from her, but she ignored his gesture and ran of skipping down to everyone else.

Jones was tired, tired of searching and finally had found it, found their home. Jones took a seat, watched everyone un-pack and celebrate. People were grasping wine skins out, swinging there babies around. It was a true wonder to watch. He started tossing a small pebble in his hand, it reminded him of something. that's when it hit him. It was the pebble, that made him look up, find such a wondrous place.

He whistled and tossed it up and town, when Beans and AJ came up to him, with large grins. The two sisters, looked nothing alike, but they were both as sweet as each other. Jones had found them, on the out skirts of the frontier, near to death.

Beans smiled at him, and lent up against the tree, and watched the sun lower. They had no tents. It would be a night under the stars. AJ sat next to Jones, her black hair whipping his face, Jones smiled at her, and started piling some stones together. He was making a can, just encase someone wondered of. They knew were the valley was.

He looked over at the two smiling girls, like family they were.

"Enjoy the sunset, I must go to something..." Jones left before they could answer, he wandered of toward the river, taking his shoes of, he waded of into the water, like before all this. He splashed his hands In the water, and started picking up some small rocks, and tossing them, letting them skip of into the huge wide area of water.

Jones lay down on a soft patch of leaves. And watched the stars shine. After all this, becoming so week, he hadn't noticed, that with no pollution the stars truly were a wonder once more.

171 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:28 am
View Likes

AJ

AJ looked at Beans in question. "I wonder where Jones is going." She said in a curious tone. The sun set warmed AJ to her very bones, a perfect ending to a perfect day. "You'll have to excuse me" She recalled to Beans, "but I have to finish setting up the Medicine Hut before it gets too dark." With that, she bounded toward the small cave she'd found near the water that she had used as the Medicine Hut.

On the way, AJ made sure to gather bunches and bunches of sticks and pine. The pine she used to craft several beds for the sick and a larger one for her and her sister. The sticks she stuck to the grainy walls with clay, which would work as makeshift shelves for her medicine until she could find something better.

As the sun removed the last bit of light from the cave, AJ curled up into a ball upon her bed of pine, anticipating what daybreak would bring.
Last edited by SecreteJournalist on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:35 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

Beatrice waved her hand in dismissal at AJ. She leaned against the wide trunk of a tree sapling, cleaning her fingernails, surveying the area around her. It was almost time for sunset, but Beatrice was sure that in the morning she would be able to go off with the other gatherers and explore. This new home seemed to have food in abundance and she couldn't wait to collect it.

"Hey, Banana." She waved at a young girl of about ten years old. She was the sibling of one of the other gatherers, so Beatrice knew the girl well. Her name wasn't Banana, of course, that was just a nickname because her hair was the colour of one.

"This place is cool, isn't it?" Banana sat at the bottom of the trunk. "I'm going to sleep at the mouth of that cave and see if any monsters come get me." She rolled her eyes when she said 'monsters'. Our group had encountered monsters on many occasions, they came in the form of ants and other insects, not to mention the larger animals. But this place seemed to be reasonably quiet.

"I wouldn't speak so soon, Nana, you'll curse the situation." Beatrice slid down the trunk so she was sitting next to her friend. "Shouldn't you be setting up your camp by now?"

"Yeah, probably." The young girl stood up and strolled over to the cave, smiling at everyone she passed. Beatrice decided to sit there for a little longer and admire her surroundings.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

103 Reviews

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:01 am
View Likes
Burrow says...

Jones

War was inevitable, yet they were making there little settlement, in hope of survival in the coming winter and many to come. Jones walked towards a lone tent, far of in the distance, its hard fabric, bent into a triangle, and two large sticks stabbed through them. Jones has asked for it to be set up, while he was away.

He felt bad asking others to do things, but Jones needed some alone time, some time away from the nagging clan, despite his love for them, they were well, a complaining bunch.

He lay down and watched the rest of his followers lay next to the fire, they had no tents like Jones, but there was good reason, why Jones had a tent, very good reason.

The sun rose, over the west hills, shining on the water, reflected the vastness of their new home. Jones was first to rise, soon followed by a hunter, he watched him disappear away into the scrub, its green bushes scarping against his ruff skin.

Jones lent down and searched through his pack, till he found it. His weapon, his axe, its hard iron edges reflecting his hooded face. He wasn’t going hunting, he was going to start building. He was not able to destroy full trees, he was but the size of an ant, but he would cut up smaller fallen twigs and such, start helping the builder.

He had injured his leg, he had broken it on their long journey, which is why Jones stepped up, as leader he must to as such.

171 Reviews

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:30 pm
View Likes

AJ

AJ woke when the sun shined bright upon her once closed eyelids. She stood then, brushing off the few pieces of pine that had stuck to her torn clothing. From where she stood, she could easily watch the clan wake and begin their day. It wasn't very private, but it worked for now. "I ought to make a door sometime soon." She thought whilst combing her fingers through her curls. A dizzying sensation then came to her, and sensing it must be dehydration, she headed for the fresh water.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:22 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

Beatrice grouped together with the other gatherers. This morning they would be going out into the surrounding area of their new home to find breakfast, lunch, dinner and whatever else people wanted. This was Beatrice's favourite part of the day; running around amongst the green plants, being free.

They set off at exactly eight o'clock and walked along the edge of the great water body, the river which they'd found the day before. It looked even bigger up close, like a never-ending lake which continued into the horizon.

As she walked, Beatrice knelt down and laced her fingers through the water, it felt warm and gentle on her skin. She cupped her hands and brought some water up to her mouth, it tasted just like the rainwater they collected from leaves, but perhaps a little saltier. She liked that.

"There it goes." She heard the boy up front speaking. "There goes our camp, we better start memorising our journey now." Remembering the path you took was an important part of being a gatherer, if you just wandered around you would most certainly get lost. Beatrice turned back and watched the figures of her fellow humans disappear behind a large tree trunk.
-Demetri Martin

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous