Young Writers Society

Lincoln Wood Private College Prep

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sat May 16, 2015 1:41 am
Nike says...

I know, I haven't been on.

Rupert Jean Franz

I don't how many days have passed. Or maybe it wasn't days, weeks. What if it was months?

I was hated, it's not like I was stupid, I knew this. No one wanted to talk to me, see me. Nothing. I went to school, went home. Woke up, went to school, go home. Same routine.

I feel so dead.

Without.

Jesus...

I wanted her back so badly.

That's when I felt like my phone was alive again. Maybe someone bothered to ask if I didn't die yet. I held the hold button, turning my phone on. A few seconds later, my phone went ding and I read the name.

That wasn't possible.

She hated me.

Colette

We need to talk. There's something big happening and I need to talk to you before I make any decisions. Is there a time when you're willing to call me? Or even text me?

What happened? Is she okay? Is she dead? Is she getting married?!

I didn't care what time it was in France, I dialed her up and waited.

"Hallo?" she sounded groggy, must be late.

"Cole," I breathed, my heart raced. "Cole, baby,"

I don't know, but I think I felt her smile, knowing it was me. I shut my eyes for a moment, imagining her here, with me, her arms around my neck. She was smiling like I was the world to her.

She was silent, maybe in shock.

"Rupert..." she was breathless.

"I'm sorry, I'm bad with math and didn't think it was this late but you needed to ta-," she didn't let me finish.

"Yes, I needed to talk to you about something very important." It was like just this made her more awake, her voice much clearer. Her French accent was stronger now, or maybe I just didn't hear her speak in a while.

"What's going on?" I paused. "Well, you aren't dead, thank God. Are you married? Are in in danger?"

"Are you married?" She tried to hold her laughter. "That's the most ridiculous question! Are you married?" she mocked.

Okay, so, she wasn't... or she's playing with me. I let myself smile as I listened to her breaths.

"Rupert," I loved the way she said my name, almost making it sound royal. "I'm not married..." she paused, making me sweat with anticipation. "I can get cured."

"You mean?" I let my brain think for a moment. "You can... you can paint again?" I couldn't stop myself from jumping off my bed from joy. "What? How?"

"There's this doctor..."

Spoiler! :
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 am
Gravity says...

Colette
"Cole baby," My heart melted. I thought I hated him. For not caring. But in those few words I heard more love in the world than the most eloquent Shakespeare poem. As corny as that sounds. And he thought I was married. HA. As if.

"I can get cured." So I told him about it.

"The risks are high." I said, still groggy

"How do you mean?" I needed to hear his voice. The deep musical sounds to it, almost like he could be a singer if he wanted to. But I already felt calmer despite the jolt of my cell phone ringing and my nerves.

"Listen..." I paused for a second but he waited patiently. Hanging on to my every word. "There's a pretty good chance of complete paralysis from the neck down. And a bigger chance of me dying."

"What? Cole what are the chances, do you have numbers?" He was concerned, worried. I thought he wouldn't care.

"10 and 15%." I was so nervous and scared, I felt like I was about to cry.

"15% chance of you dying?" I nodded before remembering he couldn't see me through the phone.

"Yeah, kinda." I inhaled, waiting for his reply. He was quiet and seemed unsure of what to do. He spoke up suddenly.

"Can you skype? I need to see you." He asked this and part of me thought he was buying himself a few seconds to think, to clear his head.

"Sure." I hung up on him and called him over skype, plugging in earbuds and sticking them in my ears.

He answered, I could see his headboard in the background as he leaned back. But then I saw his face and I stopped cold. He was pale with dark tints under his eyes. Not dramatically so, but he looked like he'd been through hell. His eyes were rimmed with red and if I didn't know him better, I'd say he'd been drinking or getting high. But he never did that, he was just exhausted.

My hair was up in a messy bun and I was wearing a low cut tank top with short shorts. I self-consciously pulled the covers up to my belly, the soft glow of my bedside lamp illuminating my hands. One side of me was limp, but I'd gotten good at keeping myself upright.

His eyes stared into mine through the screen, he was drinking in the sight of me. And I blushed a little, covering my face with my good hand.

"No, Colette, don't cover up. I just feel better talking to you face to face." I nodded, lowering my hand, something in my chest twinged strongly and it made me smile regardless of the situation.

"My name is Cole," I said giggling, remembering what I'd said to him the day I pushed him against the lockers and threatened him for hurting Thorne. He laughed at that, his voice hoarse and his smile illuminating his face. His beautiful eyes crinkldc at the edges and his black hair fell into his face when he tilted his head back slightly.

"I want you to do whatever you need to do," he said his face turning serious once more.

"Okay..." I trailed off, not sure what he meant by that.

"Colette," he emphasized my name, "You are an amazing girl. It doesn't matter to me if you can't move half your body. I like you the way you are. This surgery is your decision and I will support you no matter what."

I nodded. His eyes were earnest and I could tell he wasn't just saying that to make me feel better.

"I want what's best for you," he said, shifting a little to get more comfortable.

I nodded, a strand of hair falling into my face which I promptly pushed back.

"I don't want to die," I said, "Before I was really hurting. I thought I did for a little while but I don't. And I don't want to be stuck like this either."

"You do what you think is right." As he said this I yawned and scratched my arm a bit, the time and jetlag and emotions catching up to me.

"You're tired," he said, his voice soft and gentle, "You should go to bed."

"You're right," I said, yawning. "Hey Rup?"

"Yes Colette?" My name on his lips still sounded like music to my ears.

"I wish you were here. I miss you. I wish we hadn't broken up."

"Yeah. We need to take things slow. I broke up with you because I thought I was bad for you. I want to make sure you're okay first. Right now you need to focus on you." he paused for half a second "I wish I was there too," he added wistfully.

My eyes were drooping and the covers seemed to weigh down on my body more and more.

"Goodnight Rup,"

"Night' Cole."

Then I ended the call, turned off the light and went to sleep.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun May 17, 2015 3:43 am
AlmondEyes says...

~Merrick~

Heading downstairs to grab a drink of water, I head to the kitchen. The first thing I spot is dad sitting at the enormous Island nestled in the middle like the center piece of an art gallery, staring at what looked like a cup of coffee.

"Hey dad," I close the fridge with a bottle of water in hand and take a seat across from him.

When he doesn't answer, I watch him for a moment, wondering what he's thinking about as he slowly swirls his liquid caffeine in the flimsy cup it came in. Hm. The slight furrow of his brow and distant look in his eyes had me even more intrigued. Dad was usually more alert and thought oriented.

I waved a hand in front his face. "Dad?"

He blinked, and spell we was under broke. His eyes met mine. "Son?"

"Everything ok?" I took a swig of water. "You're not acting like yourself."

He set the cup down, his eyes becoming slightly troubled or sad, or maybe a little of both. He sighed and met my eyes. "You know that I love you and you sister, right?"

I frowned now, starting to worry."Of course Dad. Is something wrong?"

He stood, coming around the island and grasping my should tightly. "No. Nothing is wrong. I just hope you know that I love you and your sister with everything that I have."

"Love you too Dad." I frowned as he kissed me on the top of my head, and with one more squeeze of my shoulder left the kitchen.

"Oh," I heard just beyond.

It sounded like mom. They must have run into each other. She walked in looking a little flustered.

"Something the matter?" I ask.

"Your father's just acting a little odd is all." she put a hand to her flushed cheeks.

"You're telling me." I run a hand through my head with a small shake of my head.

"Did he kiss you too?"she raised an eyebrow.

I scrunched my nose."Not the way he obviously kissed you."

Mom smirked. "He said he was going to take a shower. I think i'll go join him."

With that, she sauntered off after dad. With another shake of my head, I turned back to my water to take another sip. Eyeing dad's coffee, I noticed the Starbucks logo . I stared at it for a moment, thinking. I stood up and headed for the door.

"I'm going for coffee," I call out to mom and dad just before I take my leave.

Looking over the vast number of items on the menu as I step up to the counter, i'm not sure what to pick.

"Hello sir. Welcome to Starbucks How can I help you?" the girl manning the register in a bored voice as she look at me.

Her eyes run over me, her attitude completely changing. She tosses her platinum blonde hair over one shoulder, smiling flirtatiously. Her fair skin looked blemish free, her glossy lips and chocolate brown cat like eyes lined with black liner enhancing her features. I couldn't really see what the rest of her looked like. Not that I was interested either way. Blondes weren't my type.

I smile politely. "I'd like a Cafe Mocha please. Tall."

Her fingers flitted across computer screen, her eyes sliding back in my direction."One tall Cafe mocha for a tall man, coming up. Can I get you anything else?"

"No thanks." I handed her my card.

She took the card, her finger tips grazing my hands, then handing it back to me. "Your name?"

"Merrick."

"I'll call you when your order is ready," she licked her lips.

I stepped to the side and stood to wait for my order, looking around at everything. There were few people from school here, all on their laptops. No doubt patched into the wifi as their eyes were completely glued to the screens. I checked the time on my phone, my mind wandering to to my dad. something had been bugging him, but I didn't know what. This also wasn't the first time. The last time I saw him like this was when he'd come back from the grocery store a little way back. Same distant and distracted behavior like today. My eyes scanned the room, locking on a familiar figure outside. For a moment, everything froze.

Sitting outside at one of the tables was Hawthorne. She was by herself from what I could tell, and with a cup of coffee in her hand. I'd just taken a step toward her direction when I heard my named called.

"Order for Merrick," the blond from earlier walked over to me.

"Thanks," I took my drink and walked off before she could say anything.

I made my way outside to the table where she was sitting. Her hair was down, falling in gentle waves down her back and billowing softly in the light breeze. My fingers itched to run my fingers through it, imagining what it would feel like.

"Is this seat taken?" I ask as I reach her table.

Her vivid eyes lit with familiarity as she realized who I was and gave me a smile that showcased her straight white teeth. "You're Rupert's friend, aren't you? Merrick, right?"

I nodded."That's right. And your name is Hawthorne."

She nodded, but didn't say anything, instead fidgeting with her cup of coffee. Her skin looked smooth and soft, her nails unpainted. She wasn't wearing any make up either. Not that she needed it. The sunlight gave it a soft glow, making it look flawless. Thick lashes framed her unusually bright eyes, slightly slanted and almond shaped. My eyes drifted to her lips, and then I realized she'd been saying something.

"What?" I blinked.

"I was asking why you were here." she took a sip of her coffee.

I shrugged. "Just wanted to get out of the house."

"Me too." she smiled. "I didn't just wanna sit around and do nothing."

"I would have told you to text me, but we don't have each other's numbers." I take a sip of my coffee, hoping I didn't seem transparent.

"That's right. We don't." she pulled her phone out.

She slid her phone towards and I gave her mine. We exchanged numbers and handed them back. She began fidgeting with her cup as she looked at me. "I actually thought about you today."

Good news for me, is all I think as I raise an eyebrow. "Did you?"

She smiled shyly, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "I did. I was thinking about people I might be able to do something with. You were the last person I thought of, but I didn't have your number."

I lean in closer to her. "Now that you've got my number, that situation has been remedied. You can think about me as much as you want since you can get in touch with me."

Her cheeks turned the softest shade of red, and I smiled to myself. Seeing her flustered was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. She cleared her throat.

"And you've got my number too." she kept her eyes on her cup.

"Does that mean I can think about you whenever, however I want?" I ask softly.

The look of shock on her face was priceless, as was the deep shade of red her cheeks turned.

"Uh-" she began.

"Thorne? Merrick?" came a familiar voice.

Spoiler! :
This can anyone @Nike @Shiney *Cough cough* >.>
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon May 18, 2015 4:52 am
Ciblio says...

Collin

Spoiler! :
I wanted to make this post for Collin different and very descriptive, so I'm switching to First POV for more emphasiz(ation?)

Adah was a spur of polka dots. I could see the anticipation in her eyes: she wanted to hurry up and get somewhere, most likely a painting or something of the sort. I follow closely until I hear her announce suddenly, "This one is my favorite."

When I look up, I can see why it's her favorite. A cascade of colors fell from a high base, and I adored it. The lengths, the contrast, the widths of each, it was beautiful. Almost as beautiful as the girl that was next to me. I felt my face turn red at that though, and hoped she wouldn't look over at me.

"That's awesome," I manage to say, after my cheeks cool.

"Not yet," Is all she says before our hands are touching and she's pulling me in, and my face is red again and her hand is warm, and- I laugh.

I don't laugh because the view is humorous. I laugh because it's perfect. It's all the beauty I've been waiting to see in this wretched world. It's a piece of work that doesn't even have to try, like Adah. She doesn't even have to try. This- this is my first date.

Her words float to me as if they were on a cloud, "What's next?"

I want to feel the warmth of her hand again. I want to hold her, explore with her, be with her. I- I feel myself staring at her. And she's staring at me, too. Our eyes are locked, and hers are glittering with pure fascination. I know then where the earth had been hiding it's wonders.

I don't know how long we were there- a minute, perhaps. Or maybe several minutes. It could've been hours and I wouldn't have noticed or cared, because all that mattered was her. Her and I. Us. I feel myself leaning forward, now. We're both leaning forward. And suddenly, she turns her face, as if her attention was seized by something more wonderful than the moment we shared. I blink, and know that my face is crimson.

"Come on," I mumble, and absently slip my hand into hers. The warmth floods through my body, and I can't help but smile. "Let's go somewhere. Walking. Anywhere."

She was quiet- maybe because I'd taken her hand. I didn't know. But I couldn't stop smiling. This was my first date.

"It's raining, Collin," Adah says finally, as we near the doors, but I don't care that it is. "We'll get even more wet."

"We were bound to get soaked, anyways," I grin back at her, and hold the door open. "Plus, the rain won't hurt us."

She finally agrees, and ten minutes later, we're walking down the rows and rows of fabrics and materials that could be used to make anything. I gaze at the assortment of colors, mesmerized by the amount of cloth and yarn and so many more things. We're still holding hands.

"There's so many," Adah notes in awe, and I smile at her. The kind of smile that made her smile. That was the best smile. She catches it, and smiles back, and I'm happy then. My clothes were wet, my fedora was soaked, but I was happy. Happier than I'd ever been.

"Oh!" I remember the store I'd gone to with Harley a while back. One that I was sure she'd like. "Here, let's go. There's another place I want to show you."

"It's..." Adah's eyes say it all. They were bright and they reflected the lights from the ceiling. "Wonderful. Magnificent. Oh, God, Collin, it's just..."

"Perfect." I grin, and pull a leaf out of her hair.

The ceiling was low, but it was covered in images of people who'd been here and had taken pictures for the collage. There were quotes written on the walls, and all kinds of light streaming everywhere. Walls and walls of buttons, stickers, lanyards, all kinds of things lined the place. I'd always loved it here. David Bowie played from the back somewhere, and I couldn't help but hum to the song. It was China Girl. Halana, my old foster mom, used to love this song. We danced to it all the time.

I felt Adah's eyes on me, and when I looked back, her face flushed and I smiled. Her lips were moving. She was singing the song. I can feel my smile widen as I lead her farther down, where the rows of clothing were.

We were in a Thrift Shop. And this was our first date.

Spoiler! :
So, not exactly as long as I wanted, but OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THEY'RE SO FREAKING ADORABLE LIKE NJFKCSUNFDKMSKU
@Sunshine, DOES THIS WORK?!
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

267 Reviews

Fri May 22, 2015 5:58 pm
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto

It's like my whole world fell apart. Everyone left me. Cole decided France was best. Hawthorne kind of pushed me away because she found out about my past. She wouldn't accept me anymore.

And I didn't know why. I wasn't that girl anymore. I've grown. But she still won't believe me.

I has my headphones on as I strolled down the streets of Seattle, more like, the streets of suburb Seattle with the small shops and many parks. People walked passed me, as if I was just the wind around them. I was too focused on Twenty One Pilots to even care. They were my go to when I felt least like myself, they brought me back.

Starbucks felt like a safe place to just sit and read, or binge on Netflix. So, I turned the corner and found one of the few Starbucks that were in this suburb. It looked pretty empty. I walked in, pulling off one ear bud so I could order. A soft hum of classical music strummed in the place, working against my 21. I walked over to the counter, reading the menu above the barista.

There were many choices, especially since we were in the capital of Starbucks, Seattle.

"Can I have a peppermint hot chocolate?" I asked, smiling.

The young girl smiled back, typing something on the monitor in front of her. "That's all?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

One of the other baristas' started brewing up my drink and I stepped over to the left at the drop off area, waiting for my drink. I slipped in the other earphone and listened to the lyrics.

I looked around the coffee shop, eyeing the streets outside. That's when I noticed two familiar faces sitting not too far away from me, smiling at each other. Hawthorne and Merrick. He was playing with his cup while she hid her face behind her hair.

The pit of my stomach felt uneasy, like a mix of lava and butterflies. I felt the hairs on my body stand up as I watched them for just a second longer, then turned back. My cup was sitting on the counter, so, I took it and walked over to the opposite end of the shop and sat down on a bar chair with a high table.

I took my laptop out of my backpack and turned it on. It wouldn't hurt to peak one more time at them. So I did, and now they both had their phones out, smiling at each other.

They were exchanging numbers.

God.

I turned back and found that my computer was up and running. I opened up the web browser and typed in the name to my blog. It was time to write again.

Double D was back

I was pretty much through with my post when I looked up again to see Hawthorne and Merrick gone. The seats were empty and all was left to see were the street lights illuminating the streets. I huffed and pulled out my phone, pulling up my messages and finding Merrick's name.

Hey, what's up?

He tended to reply. Maybe he won't since he has Thorne now. I put my phone on the table just next to my laptop and finished the blog, posting it up for the world to read again.

I shut my laptop and slipped it back into my backpack, collecting all my items to leave. That's when I saw Paul walk in, his face had no emotion while he strolled over to me. My heart almost broke my chest as I froze on my seat.

"Hey," he said softly.

"Hi," I gulped.

"I miss you,"

There were many things a person can say to make your life all that different. This was one of those things and this was one of those times. He knew me so well, I wasn't even surprised. But then again, I was. He can miss me, I am his best friend. But that's the only reason he misses me, because we are best friends. He needs his girl around. But, he doesn't miss me like he misses Isabelle.

"I know," I sighed.

I watched as he took in a deep breath ,unable to look at me for more than a few seconds.

"You look terrible." he murmured.

"Thanks, so do you." I smiled shyly.

His eyes met mine and it was then that I believed the eyes were the door to the soul. I could see everything he felt, and it was so conflicting.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and hopped off the chair. He took a step back, giving me some room to breathe.

"Want a ride home?" he asked.

And this was where I would help him make his life not so conflicted. It was that easy. I'd go with him and we'd get together. Yes, I wanted it. Yes, he wanted it. He's been in love with me since ever. But, it was something we shouldn't do. I lost a good friend of mine because of him, I actually lost two friends.

Paul and Isabelle.

Our friendship will never be the same again. And that's why you don't fuck with feelings when it comes to this.

"I'll walk," I paused, catching the disappointment lining his face. "Thanks,"

"Come on Daf, it's dark out."

"Thanks Paul,"

I took in a deep breath, unsure of where I stand.

"You know Isabelle won't get back with me." he finally started talking.

"That's why you're going for me, cause I will? Cause you don't want to be alone?" This was worse than hearing it's not you, it's me.

"No, Daffy. You know that I've been in love with you..."

"Yeah, you've been, Paul." I let the words dangle in the air. "Paul, you don't love me anymore."

"Yes I do Dafnie!"

"Paul, let's be real. You love Isabelle."

Spoiler! :

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon May 25, 2015 3:03 am
Sunshine says...

@shiney

Adah

I liked thrift shopping. I liked cheap clothes that you don't feel bad ruining, love shirts that don't fit but are still fun to look at, love dresses that are so old you wonder what decade they're from. I'm not surprised that Collin likes it too. There's a certain charm to thrift shops, especially the good ones. This place doesn't smell like old lady, it smells like glue and flowers, and it is probably so good.

How do you thrift shop on a date?

The two of us stand in the hot lights for awhile. When I'm with Jules or Amy or Ina, we go straight to the girl's section and run our hand through the rows of sweaters. Eventually, Collin moves towards the middle of the store, and I kind of just follow him. We weave our way through the rows to a section of men's shirts. Collin seems to know what he's doing, and it's so different than how previously uncertain I had seen him.

He starts shuffling through the shirts. The women's are pretty close, so I know I could lean myself over that way, but don't. Instead, I go on the other side and shuffle right along with him.

I hold up a collared shirt with a floral pattern. "What do you think of this?"

I don't find it all that attractive, but Collin makes things I had thought completely ridiculous look great in my past few weeks of knowing him. I've never seen anyone besides Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy look nice in a Fedora.

Collin scrunches up his nose, and I laugh a little. I hope he knows I was mostly kidding. You know, mostly.

Before I can put the shirt on the rack again, one of the ladies who works there says; "You should try that on, mister. Your girlfriend's right, it would look nice on you."

Even though she made a lot of pressumptions, it still feels nice being right. I hand the shirt to Collin, and he doesn't argue.

As he changes, I shuffle more through the racks. I want to see him in the shirt, of course, but I'm not going to ask.

The worker, a blue-haired woman in her twenties, has no such hesitations. (Strangers, I find, are often helpful in being courageous where I am not.) "We want to see it when you've got it on!" She calls. (Thanks goodness there is no one else in the store, though.)

Collin comes out pink and flustered, but wearing the silly shirt. The woman nods her approval, and because I feel like I have to say something I tell him it looks nice, because it does.

He smiles, and I get distracted by the book section, flipping through old Harry Potter books for what feels like minutes but was probably at least fifeteen. The blue-haired woman clears her throat, and she's standing there with an armful of clothes. Coming from behind her, Collin quietly adds another to the stack.

The confidence l had over the night slowly leaked out of me. "I... I don't...."

The blue-haired woman frowns, and Collin looks bad, and I grab the pile of clothes anyway.

"Fine, but you only get to see the ones I like."

In the dressing room, I yank off my dress. The mirror, standing full length in front of me, causes me to pause. I run my hands down the sides of my skinny frame, feeling for hipbones people are always so impressed I can physically feel. I look at the acne on my back, and quickly pull on the first dress they gave me, only to find the back open. I tear it off, and pull on some high waisted shorts and short-but-baggy sweater. I look at myself in the mirror. I stare at her. This is the girl that wears the red-red lipstick, I think. This is the girl who belongs here, but I don't know if I am her.

"Do you guys have a sunhat or something?"

In a minute, it is tossed into my stall. I unlock the door and wander out. The worker smiles at me, says I look great. Collin does not say anything at all, but I think he looks.

When I go back in the stall, I look at the mirror and smile before I take the outfit off to try another.

--------------

We kill the next hour that way, and Collin gets back in on the action. We laugh at each other in ridiculous clothing, say kind compliments (in Collin's case, critiques) of clothes we do like. I forget about myself and become a million other people, and I laugh and laugh.

I walk out with a bag full of clothes, including those high-waisted shorts, because they were three dollars and why not. I buy a few books and a new tea mug, and feel happy with myself.

By now, the sky is dark, and not just from the storm. It's still raining, and the radio plays softly. I keep my eyes on the road, even if I'm thinking about a pair of pants I really hope Collin wears. There have been too many car accidents from kids at Lincoln this year for me to mess with distraction.

"We should head home now."

"Yeah."

"Do you want me to drop you off your house?"

"Yeah."

I drive through the rain and hope my parents aren't worried. I wonder, once again, about Collin's. When I pull up to his apartment, he doesn't get out of the car right away. In movies, this is where they kiss, but this is real life and I'm not ready.

"This has been really fun, Collin. I'll see you around, okay?" Please.

He smiles. "Remember to wear that shirt, the tree one?"

"I will." I'll do it Monday, Collin. Sure. Why not?

"Um... I'll text you?"

"Yeah." I'll text back.

"I'll see you at school."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I watch him go up to his apartment, and then I get home safely.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

271 Reviews

Mon May 25, 2015 4:12 am
Gravity says...

Adrian
"Adrian!" Cole yelled and I came running. I was scared she was hurt or she fell while getting out of bed.

"Is everything okay?" She was sitting in bed wearing short shorts and a flimsy wet tank top with a neon sports bra. Her blonde hair was piled on top of her head in a messy bun. She seemed a little mussed from sleep, but other than that she looked fine.

"Yeah Ade," she said, "I'm okay. But I have to tell you something."

"Yes?" I had a feeling I already knew what it was about. The surgery. She must've come to a decision. I'd heard her talking to someone last night and based on her tone of voice, it was a boy. I instantly felt protective.

"I want to do the surgery. And I want to do it as soon as possible," she said. I was surprised. She was willing to risk her life for this surgery. I thought she had more common sense than that but it wasn't my business to advise against it.

"That's good," I said halfheartedly and the smiled faded off her face.

"You don't think I'm making the right decision," She said, pulling on a loose strand of hair.

"I think it's your decision to make, not mine." I said slowly.

She nodded. "Will you give me the Doctor's number?"

I pulled out my phone and texted it to her. Her phone dinged two seconds later and she smiled.

"Thanks," she said. I moved closer to her and she wrapped her arms around my neck and planted a kiss on my cheek. "I love you, Ade," she said, "You're the best cousin ever." I nodded, not really sure what else to say.

"Will you help me into my chair?" She asked. I was half a step ahead of her and was already lifting her, somewhat awkwardly, into her chair.

"You know," she said teasing, "For a guy, you're pretty scrawny." She poked my arm and I playfully slapped her away.

"Very funny Colette. I'll be sure to go to the gym and get all muscled up especially for you." She laughed and that was the first time I'd seen her really laugh since she got here. Her smile lit up her face. It took me a moment to figure out why, and then it hit me. She had hope. And based on the conversation with that boy last night, she had someone who loved her. And while I was protective over her, I didn't really care who it was. Just that he made her smile.

"Can we make crepes? I haven't had legitimate French crepes in so long," she said, bringing the back of her hand up to her forehead and throwing her head back dramatically, "It's so torturous, their American Taco Bell is so good. But not as good as crepes." I chuckled, wheeling her to the small dining room table as I got out her favorite crepe filling. Nutella and strawberries.

"You gonna help, Miss Daisy?" I asked teasingly. She smiled and wheeled her chair into the kitchen and getting out the stuff for the crepe batter. It was good to have her back.

267 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 am
Nike says...

Rupert Jean Franz

I had Colette. She was all I wanted. I could already feel her hands in mine as I anticipated her lips.

But it wasn't that easy. My father would never lend me the money to fly out to France, even for the love of my life. I was working, but, I didn't make enough for a plane ticket for tomorrow... that's thousands.

"Open up," I heard someone say.

Looking up at my window, Dafnie stood there with a smile. She was on my balcony and the only way to get there is through the window. My father hasn't gotten into installing a door instead, it's been a few years so I stopped asking and dealt with just the window.

It felt like deja-vu having her there, it wasn't even weird. I don't know, it felt natural.

I got off my bed and walked over to the window, sliding it open. Warm wind brushed my face as I smiled back at her.

"Hey sexy," she said. "Mind if I come in?" her voice always made my skin tingle.

"We're friends again?" I asked.

"Well, we had sex... I can't not be friends with someone that good."

I laughed, stepping aside and helping her climb through the window, once she was stable, I shut the window. Dafnie had already made herself comfortable on my bed, sprawled all over the Queen size. I joined her, just sitting on the edge.

"What brings you to my home?"

I felt her sit up and move closer to me, every move she made vibrated on the mattress. Her hands touched my chest and she relaxed onto my bed, her breath in my ear. I shut my eyes, trying to ignore my temptations. I could already see us kissing, gripping each others clothes, wanting. Every breath made it harder for me. I could feel her want by the way she breathed into my ear, soft. Her fingers trailed up my chest, touching my neck. It felt hot, like fire trailing my skin.

I didn't even know I was doing anything until I noticed she was now on my lap, her eyes gazing into mine. I must have pulled her here.

Her skin was hot against mine.

She licked her bottom lip slowly, eyeing me, seeing that I was at attention. I let myself give in. My hands were at her waist, running up under her shirt to find no bra. My heart jumped and I looked up, seeing a wicked smile on her face.

"I wanna fuck you Rupert," she whispered. "And I can tell you want to fuck me too." she rubbed her hand on my crotch.

Her touch sent lust through my body, begging for more. I squeezed her breasts, watching her shut her eyes. "Rupert," she moaned. I peeled off her shirt, finding soft skin and amazing breasts. I leaned into her chest, biting on her left nipple. I sucked, loving the taste of her skin, sweet. She moaned again, making my suck even harder.

"I want you," she whispered, "I need you,"

She was hot, her whole body was burning. My pants couldn't unzip fast enough. She was so hot down there that when I slid in, I slid in.

My eyes flickered open to the sun blinding me. I felt sweat coating my body as I shifted in bed, realizing how hot it was. My heart was racing and I don't know. I sat up, looking up at the wall in front of me. There was a poster of my favorite soccer team, Manchester United. It didn't calm my nerves and it most definitely did not remove the dream.

"Fuck," I huffed.

Running my hands on my face, I tried my best to calm my body. It was like my body didn't know any other feeling than the one I had just a few minutes ago.

I looked over at my nightstand and saw my phone blink. I picked it up, reading the text.

Hey, wake up! Let's go! it was Philip.

Today was the day.

I swallowed hard and hopped out of bed, staring at the suitcase just at the end of my bed. I hard the rest of my things down a few steps... my room was a bi-level.

Colette, I'm coming, and I have no idea how I did it.

267 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 am
View Likes
Nike says...

Spoiler! :
@NicoleBri I might not at Izzy to this post.

Paul Jenkins

Some of the best relationships last the shortest amount of time. Dafnie had proof for this. I couldn't stop thinking about Isabelle. Our relationship was so random, so fast, it scared me. But, I loved it. It was meant to be.

But I guess not because it came crashing down like a pile of cards.

Was it worth it? That month of love with someone that would leave me right then and there. She didn't even know what really happened. She assumed and jumped at it.

Sure, I loved Dafnie... but I really loved Isabelle. It hurts.

"Do you not like caramel or something?" Collin asked me.

I looked up and saw his eyebrow arched in question, I smiled. He was a friend and right now I needed one.

"It's my favorite," I sighed.

"Okay, then drink up. I didn't pay five bucks for it to stand there." he motioned at my coffee cup.

Sighing yet again, I picked up the cup and downed some of the hot liquid. The sweetness coated my mouth, leaving me happy. Some things that money can buy lighten anyone's day.

"You have to talk to her, you know that." Collin said. "Isabelle is a person who can understand things... if you give her the chance to, that is. And, you're not."

"Dude, I did. I called her, I texted her, I Facebooked her, I Snapchatted her. I tried." I huffed.

He rolled his eyes. "You might as well hang yourself from your phone charger." a pause. "You're an idiot. You have to go and see her."

"Like she will allow that."

"Paul, do you love her?"

I stopped dead, unsure if talking is a trap or not. He waited, playing with his now empty coffee cup.

"Yes, okay, yes I do."

"Than do it, talk to her... now I gotta go, you'll be fine?"

He started to get up, collecting his things. I nodded with a small smile.

"Cool, text me if anything." and he was off.

Spoiler! :
@Shiney I added Collin cause I wanted him to talk with someone and they were friends, no? This was before Collin's date, that's why he had to go. I didn't wanna ruin the date thing, so I did this before it.
@NicoleBri you can make a post including Paul cause he will go and see Izzy.

267 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:27 am
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto

I guess I was determined to be a good friend. Like really determined. Like, so determined that I did a really stupid thing.

It's not like I made millions either. But I had benefits. And I wasn't really using them anyway. Air France was nice to their employees, sad part was, if I wanted to fly out it'd be with someone. And I had two free tickets that were untouched for two years.

Rupert could have used them with no problem, and, he did, cause I'm a really determined good friend.

I guess Colette owed me.

Let's be real, I don't believe in that.

Class wasn't all that fun, it was just me falling asleep as the professor droned on about atoms and cells and all that important stuff I didn't care to know. Most of the class was dead silent, just a small few were talking with the teacher. I had my eyes shut, and I was sure the teacher didn't care that I was sleeping. He always said 'It's your responsibility to pass, if you don't care, than I sure don't either. What a great teacher that really cares about your education.

The bell rang and we all sprang up, happy it's time to go home. My last class of the day was always Biology. Not fun. I got up, swinging my backpack onto my shoulder, not excited for seeing Hawthorne by my locker again.

She's been trying to catch my attention cause it ends up it wasn't her that was mad at me, it was me being afraid of her. She found out about my past and I figured she would honestly hate me. But what really happened was me, I was scared that she wouldn't accept me so I pushed her away.

She knew I didn't hate her, so she's been trying to get to me ever since.
And there she was, all smiles and waving. I couldn't help but smile back even though I really didn't want to. My pride was getting the best of me.

I thought she hated me so I pushed her away, accepting that she didn't and I caused the fuss is hard for me.

I just waved and walked on, knowing that I didn't need anything from my locker and that I could just leave. Maybe she followed me, or she didn't. She has to give me time. Cause what she knows will definitely change everything. I'm surprised she's still my friend.

"Rena! Hey!" I gulped.

This just couldn't be possible. I thought that after everything, and me avoiding him, he would just disappear, and he wouldn't want to talk to me.

Oh boy was I wrong.

He was the only person who called me by my middle name. The one and only ex I've ever had. Yeah, lame, I know. But hey, my love life was never big.

And he could not stay away.

"Reeena," he called.

I had options. One, what I always do, ignore and walk. Two, accept that he's there and be all fake nice and then goodbye it real quick. Three, be blunt and rude and possibly cause an argument. Four... and my thoughts were cut and I had to think quick.

He grabbed my arm and I stopped, turned on my heel to see his smiling face.

"Girl, you're a fast walker." he commented.

My heart raced, "That's what you get when you work at the airport."

"I would know," he paused. "Wanna grab a coffee?"

Tempting, not really. But. "I'm okay, thanks,"

So I was going with none of my options. Maybe I chose four; if I only knew what four was.

His blue eyes matched mine, they were similar. They glistened with lust. No surprise. His strong jaw reminded me of Matt Smith, the reason I went out with him.

"Come on, can't we be friends?" he teased.

And I couldn't breathe now, wonderful. "Not that easy, Stephen,"

"Said my name, progress."

"I gotta go do something more important, like picking my nose, bye." I grunted, turning around.

He took my hand in his and I pulled right away, not okay with the fact that his fingers were intertwined with mine for even a second. My palm felt like it was on fire. Instead of saying anything more, I kept on walking way away from here.

Spoiler! :
@AlmondEyes I made Hawthorne not hate Dafnie. Like I explained Dafnie thought that Thorne hated her when she really didn't, Dafnie pushed her away. I want Hawthorne to try to talk to her.
Thorne knows all about Dafnie's past. One of the pasts that I revealed was a relationship with Rupert. So you can get into that.

She could even go after Dafnie. Like getg Stephen away from Dafnie so they could talk.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:40 am
AlmondEyes says...

~Hawthorne~

First period had gone by relatively quick. Mostly because I hadn't paying attention to a thing that had come out of the teacher's mouth. I couldn't focus on anything for too long, which isn't really like me at all. I frowned to myself, wondering why I couldn't keep my head straight. Then the bell rang, and class was over. Gathering my stuff, I headed to my next class. Most of the day went by in blur, and before I knew it, lunch time had rolled around. I wasn't feeling like food today as I stared at my reflection the locker mirror. My split lip was gone, as was the enormous bruise on my neck. Now it was just another memory of what Agatha was capable of. Another reminder. She was an even bigger monster than father had been, though now I knew where he'd gotten it from.

Closing my locker, I headed for the bathroom. I had to pee. Just as I walk in, I spot Tatianna with two other girls standing by the sink. She smiled when she saw me and nodded. I waved back before hopping into a stall, but not before seeing a blonde throw an ugly look my way.

"C'mon, Tatianna." a female voice urged. "It's been forever, and you still haven't told us how he was in bed."

I stopped what I was doing. Who was she talking about?

"Yea, Ti." another voice chimed in. "Gotta know what i'm in for."

Judging by her attitude, I figured it was the blonde.

"You guys are so damn nosy." Tatianna laughed. "What do you wanna know?"

"How big was he?"

"How big was he? That boy was hung like horse, and sure knew how to use it." I could hear the smile in her voice.

My face turned red as I realize what she meant. I wondered who Tatianna was talking about. Finishing up, I flushed.

"So he was good then?"

"Let's just say he was... very generous." Tatianna said just as I stepped out of the stall.

Walking up to the sink, I wet my hands and lathered up with the anti bacterial soap that would dry out my hands.

"Looks like I'm in for a treat," the blonde flipped her hair and smiled.

Ew. I'm surprised her canines weren't showing.

"I doubt it," Said brunette I hadn't noticed earlier. "Especially since you have a boyfriend. He's also not into blonde bimbos like you."

I snickered, then snapped my mouth shut as I saw the blonde glare at me. I couldn't help but smile as she stormed out of the restroom.

"I'm jealous Ti," said the brunette. "It's too bad Dafnie couldn't get any when she got drunk and threw hersef at him. So pathetic.That guy is so damn fine and you got a piece of him. "

That made me frown. Dafnie got drunk and threw herself at him? Why was she even drinking? I wish she would just talk to me.

"I'd be jealous too," Tatianna laughed, not even acknowledging what was said about Dafnie. "When I took him upstairs, I planned on blowing him away. He certainly knows how to make a lady feel special. Especially with his tongue."

She licked her lips and the other girl giggled. "He didn't!"

She nodded. "Oh yes he did girl. That boy certainly has a mouth on him."

I'd just finished washing my hands for the second and was finishing up the last when the brunette left. That just left Tatianna and I in the bathroom. She was fixing her makeup in the mirror as I finished washing my hands, grabbing a paper towel to dry them with. I rubbed on a little lotion, my eyes flickering to hers. Curiosity was eating at me. Who was she talking about?

The curiosity won out as I turned to her. "Interesting conversation you were having."

She stopped applying her eyeliner and looked at me with a smile. "The sex was much more interesting."

"Must have been some guy." I tuck a lock of hair behind my ear.

"One hell of a guy that's for sure." she leaned a hip against the sink, looking at me. "You actually know him."

I couldn't hide the shock on my face as I tried to play it cool. "Really?"

She smiled again. "If you want to know, all you have to do is say so."

I cleared my throat, fidgeting with my fingers.

"It's Rupert's friend Merrick." She told me.

Merrick. The thought of him made my heart stutter in my chest, my entire body warming and tingling. She raised an eyebrow. "Interested in trying him out for yourself?"

I blushed, looking away. "Of course not."

Me have sex with Merrick? I wouldn't know what to do.

"He would be good for you I think." she smiles softly. "He's a gentleman. You don't find too many who look like him."

"You did." I laughed.

"But I see the way he looks at you." she says softly. "He might be able to stop you from hurting."

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up."What are you talking about?"

"I see it there in your eyes." she answered.

"I have to go." I grabbed my bag of of the counter and turned to leave before she could say anything.

She could see the pain in my eyes? Could she see the bruises? How would she even know? Shaking the thoughts from my head, I checked my phone. There was still a while to go before lunch was over. I decided it best for me to go sit in my car until it was over. Just as I round a corner, I run into Dafnie. We stare at each other for a long and awkward moment.

"I didn't see you there." I tucked a lock of hair behind my ears.

"It's ok." she shrugged.

Another moment of awkward silence. The last time I tried to talk to her, she just kept walking. I didn't think it would hurt that much, but it did. I remembered it was one of the reason I had kept to myself. My grandmother was already hurting me. Having people who actually cared about me brushing me off would always hurt more. I just didn't understand why she wouldn't talk to me. She should know that I would never judge her or think ill of her. the fact that she didn't know that made the hurt worse.

"I tried talking to you earlier," I finally said to break the silence.

"I was in hurry." she ran a hand through her hair.

"To get away from me?" I looked at her.

She looked guilty. "That's not it."

"Then why don't you tell me what is?" I cross my arms over my chest. "I thought we were friends? Have I done something wrong? Why are you shutting me out??"

She opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

Spoiler! :
@Nike. They're talking xD
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

271 Reviews

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 am
Gravity says...

Cole Roux

"Dafnie, what's going on? Why can't I get ahold of Rupert?"

I had called Dafnie after texting and calling Rupert several times. I was going into surgery in 24 hours and I really need him.

"He's on a plane. I had some tickets on hand that haven't been used so I gave him one."

I inhaled, realizing how I'd been such a bad friend. I'd spoken to Dafnie maybe once since I came to France. Part of me was angry with her about not telling me about the relationship she'd had with Rupert. The other part of me was distracted. But I'd realized it was futile to hate her for something she did in her past.

"Thanks, Daf, I really appreciate it. I'm so sorry about being an awful friend lately. I miss you and Thorne I just-"

She interrupted me, "Don't worry about it Cole. You need to worry about this surgery. You are strong and brave and I know you will make it through. In a few weeks you'll be walking using crutches and drawing again. We'll get you back. Okay?"

I nodded before remembering she couldn't see me. "Okay," I said, finally. "Daf?"

"Yes?"

"I love you. I owe you the world. Without you helping me I couldn't have stayed. Anything you need, just ask me."

She stayed silent for a moment before simply saying, "I love you too," and hanging up.

The next day Dafnie texted me the time Rupert would be at the airport and I arrived 45 minutes early. I hadn't seen him in weeks. Adrian helped me shower and I shaved my legs the best I could. I had put on the only dress I'd brought with me. It was a beautiful cranberry color with 3 quarter sleeves and a skirt that reached mid thigh. It had lace and on the top the lace showed a little skin that added a nice touch. Adrian couldn't help me with eyeliner, but he helped me put on at least a little makeup and brush my hair out.

I sat anxiously in my chair with Adrian right next to me. I bounced the one knee that I could and twisted my hair with my finger.

"Why are you so nervous? You said you really like Rupert." Adrian looked at me with concern, his warm brown eyes looking into my baby blues.

"I do it's just... It's complicated." I stared at the gate, my mouth going dry. What if he was still mad at me and just didn't tell me? I'd gotten bigger what with the French food and not moving around. I wasn't fat, but I was bigger. My hips were wider and my thighs were bigger and my chest had filled out enough that Adrian had to take me shopping for clothes. Not that I was complaining, Paris was the fashion capital of the world.

"I look different," I said after a while, "I'm bigger."

Adrian chuckled. "Colette, I'm your cousin. But I'm telling you if I weren't, I would so tap that." I laughed. "Trust me," he said, "You were skinny before. You're curvy now and you look more womanly. I think that would've happened even if the accident hadn't happened. He'd be insane to not like the changes."

Suddenly, a beep went off indicating an announcement was being made. "International Flight 929 from the USA has landed and is taxiing to the gate." That was Rupert's flight.

I made my way to the end of the long hallway where Rupert would come out. My hands were shaking as I smoothed down my dress and Adrian rested his hand on the back of my wheelchair.

"Holy crap, Colette, your bra is showing through your dress!"

"What?" I looked down at my chest as Adrian started laughing and I swatted his arm. People were coming towards us. I didn't see Rupert. Maybe he wasn't there? Maybe he fell off the plane. Maybe... maybe...

And all at once there he was. His dark hair mussed and his wrinkled t shirt that made his (now) sleepy eyes pop.

He dropped his small, black carry on bag and bent down to wrap his arms around me. I sniffed and gripped him with one arm as I tried and failed to keep myself from crying. He pulled away.

"Rupert." He gave me a small smile as he took my face in his hands and moved to his knees so he'd be more on my level. He brought his lips to mine and kissed me like he hadn't seen me in a million years. I kissed him back, and for a moment it was perfect.

271 Reviews

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 am
Gravity says...

Adrian

When Rupert came walking down that hallway, I immediately saw the look on Colette's face. She had been nervous before but as soon as she saw him... it was pure joy on her face and nothing else. And when they embraced, I felt the moment was too private, like I shouldn't be there.

Eventually I cleared my throat. Rupert stood up and looked at me, at first I think he saw me as a threat, not realizing I was Colette's cousin. So I held out my hand.

"Hello, I'm Adrian. I'm Colette's cousin. You must be Rupert." As soon as he heard the word 'cousin' he relaxed and took my hand. My accent sounded foreign in the terminal where most people were talking either fluently or awkwardly in French. I always spoke French, even around Cole. So instead of "Bonjour, Je m'appelle Adrian. Je suis cousin de Colette. Tu est Rupert." It just sounded strange.

"Yes, it's nice to meet you." He released my hand and we walked (and wheeled) to get Rupert's bag.

"That's mine," he said, pointing to a big, bright blue duffel bag.

"Let me," I said, grabbing the duffel and swinging it over my shoulder.

"You sure? I can get it if you want." he said, holding out his hand. I shook my head.

"I got it."

So he took Colette's good hand and we walked out of the airport, hailing a cab.

When we were all settled, I turned to the lovebirds. "My apartment only has two bedrooms, even that's expensive in Paris. But my couch has a pull out bed if you want."

Rupert nodded but Colette blushed a little bit. "Um, if it's okay, Rupert can stay with me in my room." I looked at them awkwardly but Rupert turned to Colette.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be in your way and if you aren't ready for that..." he touched her shoulder and again, I felt out of place.

"It's okay," she said quickly. "And two people can sleep together without... well... sleeping together." I cringed, Colette is always so open and forward about things. Rupert looked at me.

"Is that okay with you?" he asked.

"Fine. I just don't need to hear the details of your sex life. Especially not in the middle of the night when I'm trying to get some sleep." I said this as Colette laughed.

"It's okay Ade," she said affectionately, "You don't have to worry about that." I nodded and turned to look out the window, content with being quiet.

She settled into him since he was on her good side, and they were quiet for the most part. Occasionally he would poke her or play with her hair and she would giggle, swatting his hand away. But other than that, the ride was peaceful.

When we got to my building, the cab driver let us out and I tipped him well since the hassle of Colette and her wheelchair took a little time. Not that I wasn't happy to do it, but that's how he probably saw it.

We eventually made it up the elevator and into the apartment. I held my arms out after setting my keys down. "Welcome to the ritz."

267 Reviews

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:42 am
Nike says...

Dafnie Serena Leto

Cole must be worried sick by now. Or too excited to speak. It sucks I wasn't there with her. But she would rather have Rupert with her there... he was the one that she loved. She needed that kind of support. But damn, it would have been awesome if Thorne and I were there.

I had asked Thorne to stay the night with me, just cause I was nervous and she was nervous and, gosh, we were friends. We needed each other.

She had just showered, her hair up in a towel on the top of her head. I was searching through netflix on my Xbox, trying to find something to watch. I didn't know if humor was the right way to go or maybe drama. I just kept scroling through my list.

"She'll be fine, she has to be." Thorne said with a smile. "You have to stop beating yourself up over something you can't control."

"I just wish we were there Thorne, don't you?" I looked up at her from my bed. She had borrowed a top from me, it was my Fall Out Boy shirt that read 'Girls LIke Girls and Boys' with a tie-dye background. I could definetely see her in a concert.

"Yeah, I want to be there too... but it's better that we're not since Rupert is there. They need their privacy." she joined me on my bed.

I looked at her, trying to read her face, nothing. "You're right."

Hawthorne took a deep breath and took the controller from me, starting to scroll through Netflix herself. My mother had gone to sleep already, so we weren't bothered for the night. Thank God for our fancy apartment that has a good seperation between the rooms.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

In reply, she shook her head. I pulled my phone from my bedside table and scrolled through the new messages. A lot of them were from Paul. And that wasn't right. He shouldn't want to be friends with me anymore.

I miss you, can't we be friends?
Izzy has not called me back, I want her back. I fucked up.
I don't know what to do with myself...
Why do you hate me?
Dafnie, I love you.

I was about to write a nicely worded message back when Hawthorne took the phone from me, shoving it into her pants pocket. I looked at her, seeing the crease between her eyebrows. She wasn't too pleased.

"You can't send that."

"Why not?" I huffed.

"Dafnie, I know you're mad, but it's not worth it. He's in pain."

"He's a pussy, that's what he is." I took in a breath. "All he can think about is himself."

Running her hand through her hair, she responded. "I love you, don't do it."

I could feel my heart swell up as I nodded, looking at the TV. She had chosen Mean Girls. A could movie to calm the nerves. We got comfortable, pulling the comforter all around us and my dog was laying just at the edge of my bed, snoring away.

It was five in the morning before we knew it and Hawthorne's phone went off. Cole had to be done with surgery by now. The both of us just stared at the phone as it rang. I swallowed hard, unable to stop the racing of my heart.

"Pick it up," Hawthorne huffed.

I looked at her, knowing that I looked like I was gonna pee myself.

"Your phone, your answering." I replied.

"That's not a thing."

I shook my head and reached over, hitting the answer button. My heart pounded against my rib cage.

"Hawthorne's phone," I answered.

Spoiler! :

267 Reviews

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:57 am
Nike says...

Philip Masterson

I cannot believe Rupert actuyally flew to France for some girl. Like, yeah, true love, whatever. But is that actually real? I don't know. I think it's just something to use to sell things. Play with the human mind and make money from it.

So, now it was time to figure out how to avoid being murdered by Rupert. Just because he was with Colette doesn't mean he will forget that I got Jessie pregnant when he was still seeing her. Makes me a bad friend or something. Whatever. He didn't really like her anyway.

Jessie was here though, at the movies. And that wasn't the weird part. She was here with Isabelle. They weren't even friends.

I was here with a group of my friends, we were here to see Fast and Furious whatever. They have too many movies.

She seemed okay, she was smiling, but seeing her somehow made my stomach queasy. Did she know? Did she figure out that it wasn't Rupert?

"Phil, isn't that Rup's bitch?" Jake had said with too much lust in his voice.

I looked down at him since her was a few inches shorter. He had ran his hands through his hair as he stared at her.

"Bro, no. Stop," I said sternly. "She is off limits,"

"Why?" he paused, "in love with her?"

Shaking my head, I walked straight ahead towards room five with the screening. The guys followed behind me with their girls. I don't know, they thought this would be a good movie to get it in with. I was smarter, thank God.

As we walked, we passed Jessie and Isabelle, and I looked for longer than I wanted to, just to, I don't know. Her eyes were sad, but her face wasn't. I didn't even notice Isabelle giving me the evil eye. Once I did though, I turned around and entered the room.

Even though Rupert was mad at me, he had managed to message me that he landed in France anyway. It gave me some relief in my chest as it un-clenched.

I dialed up Merrick's number and got to voicemail. No surprise, it was six in the morning. But I still left one.

"Rup probably texted you, but anyway, he's in France. Wanna go for coffee?" and then I hung up.

Spoiler! :

Always do what you are afraid to do.
— E. Lockhart, We Were Liars