z

Young Writers Society

Books on Writing

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 pm
ah1705 says...

Hello!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful fall day! I recently have begun reading a little book called, The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White, for school. I'm only a few pages in but as I've taken another course in English Syntax, at times it seems as if the book contridicts many of the rules learned in my syntax class. I was just wondering if anyone has read this book and can give me a few pointers on how to break down the book and absorb it better or maybe even suggest other books on style or writing? It'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
We are still masters of our fates. We are still captains of our souls. -Winston Churchill

Live without pretending.
Love without depending.
Listen without defending.
Speak without offending.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:36 pm
Stori says...

Well, Ah, I do happen to know a book about writing. It's titled Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook by Ann Mazer and Ellen Potter.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

One thing to remember is that different syntaxes are appropriate for different contexts. You speak much differently than you write, and you write academics different than fiction. This, in turn, might be different from journalistic writing and instructional writing.

I'm not exactly sure what your English syntax class covered, but if you broke down the times one type of syntax is appropriate over another, it might help? The thing to remember is there are no absolutes in writing. It's all about what works best for you and your audience.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:27 pm
BenFranks says...

One of the best books for all this and formatting for publication is the 'New Hart's Rules', which is Oxford Press.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 pm
carbonCore says...

Could you give an example of a contradiction between Strunk & White and your previous knowledge? I've read Strunk & White, and I have the book on my shelf.
_

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:59 am
View Likes
AGWilliams says...

Stephen King wrote one called "On Writing"

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:14 pm
FireFox says...

Stephen King's book, "On Writing" is absolutely fantastic. I refer to it very often when I am stuck and don't know what to do next. :) I highly recommend it. It is easy and amusing to read and written by my favorite writer! You can even read it online for free: http://ge.tt/8wI1LCS/v/2. Hope this helped!
Check out The Cost of Living and leave me a review! Constructive criticism appreciated!

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 am
katerinawilson says...

I just finished a book called Your Name in Print by Elizabeth and Timothy Harper. It really helped me to figure out what and how I want to write and its especially for TEENS!

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:00 pm
Robusto says...

I recently purhased a book called "Writing For Children and Teenagers" by Lee Wyndham. It explains all the neccessary steps to not only write books that appeal to Children and Teenagers, but how to sell them as well. Sure its outdated (published in 1987) but i'm not beyond revising it in my head to apply to modern times. I would recomend it to any young writer.

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris