z

Young Writers Society

chemistry help needed!!!!

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 pm
budding writer says...

1. equal masses of CH4 and H2 are mixed in an empty chamber. what is the partial pressure of hydrogen in this chamber expressed as fraction of total pressure?

2.if air contains N2 and O2 in the volume ratio 4:1 what will be the average vapour density of air?

3.in what ratio by mass, sulpher trioxide and nitrogen should be mixed so that the partial pressure exerted by both gas is same?

4.20% N2O4 molecules are dissociated in a sample of gas at 27 degrees celsius and 760 torr pressure. what is the density of the equilibrium mixture?

5.what is the ratio between the root mean square velocity of H2 at 50K an that of O2 at 800K?

6.the rate of diffusion of methane at a given temperature is twice that of a gas X. what is the molecular weight of X?

7.equal weights of ethane and hydrogen are mixed in an empty container at 25 degrees celsius. what is two fracion of the ideal pressure exerted by hydrogen?

8.at which temp. does hydrogen molecules have the same kinetic energy as oxygen molecules have at 40 degrees celsius?

9.if the r.m.s speed of gaseous molecules is x cm per second at a pressure of p atm, what will be their r.m.s at a pressure of 2 atm and constant temp.?

10. if the pressure and temp. of 4 decimetre cube of carbon dioxide gas is doubled, what will eb the volume of the gas?

11. if hydrogen gas diffuses six times faster than gas A, what is the molar mass of gas A?

12. equal masses of methane and oxygeb are mixed in an empty container at 25 degrees celsius. what is the fraction of total pressure exerted by oxygen?

13.the compressibility factor Z for N2 at T= 223K and P= 800 atm is 1.95 and at T= 373K and P= 200 atm is 1.10 a certain mass of gas has the volume 1 litre at 223K and 800 atm. find the volume at T= 373K and P= 200atm

14. the rate of diffusion of ozonised oxygen is .98 times that of pure oxygen. find the percentage by volume of ozone in the ozonised mixture.
## My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations ##

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 pm
View Likes
budding writer says...

please help guys!!
## My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations ##

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:03 am
View Likes
PiesAreSquared says...

1. equal masses of CH4 and H2 are mixed in an empty chamber. what is the partial pressure of hydrogen in this chamber expressed as fraction of total pressure?

What is the ratio of the masses? According to my periodic table, it is C (12):H (1*(4+2)) From this you should be able to solve the question assuming standard temperature, i.e. 273K
2.if air contains N2 and O2 in the volume ratio 4:1 what will be the average vapour density of air?

N(14), O(16). Therefore, total mass is 14*2*4+16*2. Can you continue from here? http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/book ... on11.rhtml I think that should help.
3.in what ratio by mass, sulpher trioxide and nitrogen should be mixed so that the partial pressure exerted by both gas is same?

Sulfer trioxide=SO3(32.066+16*3), N(14) Equal volume at equal T should have equal p.
4.20% N2O4 molecules are dissociated in a sample of gas at 27 degrees celsius and 760 torr pressure. what is the density of the equilibrium mixture?

Have you found the equiblirium mixture composition? Hint: it becomes 2NO2Rephasing this question to fit SI-units, it would be about 300K and 1 atmosphere, or 101.325kPa.
5.what is the ratio between the root mean square velocity of H2 at 50K an that of O2 at 800K?

Root mean square velocity=(3kT/m)^1/2. Do you know how to find the rmsv of the individual gases?
6.the rate of diffusion of methane at a given temperature is twice that of a gas X. what is the molecular weight of X?

What is the molecular weight of methane? Do you know the principle behind the rate of diffusion? It should not be difficult from there to get your answer.
7.equal weights of ethane and hydrogen are mixed in an empty container at 25 degrees celsius. what is two fracion of the ideal pressure exerted by hydrogen?

two fracion? 25Celcius is about 298K What is ethane composed of? What is the fraction of the combined hydrogen over the compound?
8.at which temp. does hydrogen molecules have the same kinetic energy as oxygen molecules have at 40 degrees celsius?

I’m assuming same Pa. Do you know how c (speed), p(pressure), and T(temperature) is connected?
9.if the r.m.s speed of gaseous molecules is x cm per second at a pressure of p atm, what will be their r.m.s at a pressure of 2 atm and constant temp.?

Answered in the same way as the previous question.
10. if the pressure and temp. of 4 decimetre cube of carbon dioxide gas is doubled, what will eb the volume of the gas?

WHat is the relation between pressure volume and temperature? Ideal gas laws.
11. if hydrogen gas diffuses six times faster than gas A, what is the molar mass of gas A?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... iffus.html The heavier the particle, the more energy required to move it. So what do you think the answer should be?
12. equal masses of methane and oxygeb are mixed in an empty container at 25 degrees celsius. what is the fraction of total pressure exerted by oxygen?

I know of no gas called oxygeb. :P What is the total pressure? The partial pressure of the oxygen?
13.the compressibility factor Z for N2 at T= 223K and P= 800 atm is 1.95 and at T= 373K and P= 200 atm is 1.10 a certain mass of gas has the volume 1 litre at 223K and 800 atm. find the volume at T= 373K and P= 200atm

Look up ideal gas laws. You should be able to find your answer in the laws.
14. the rate of diffusion of ozonised oxygen is .98 times that of pure oxygen. find the percentage by volume of ozone in the ozonised mixture.

Ozone=O3. Its Mr=16*3, Mr(O2)=16*2. Can you work out the percentages with these?

I hope this helps, and if I got anything wrong....
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

"And the rest is rust and stardust."
— Vladimir Nabokov