z

Young Writers Society

Urgent! Mythology...

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:31 am
Angelreader77 says...

This a last minute thing and it just occurred to me that my English project might not make any sense.
Basically we're supposed to do a chart on mythology. Since mythology is a very vast topic I decided( with my sister's awesome help) I would do something called:
What came first, Myth or Fairy tales?
I can't exactly show the chart but I did this write up inside according to which:
a) Snow White is similar to the myth of Jason and Medea.
This myth runs parallel to the fairy tale of Snow White. However, it is changed in the scope of the princess (Medea) saving the prince (Jason) to the prince (Charming) saving the princess (Snow White). Also, instead of Snow White herself turning evil, there’s the evil queen.
Does that make any sense?
"The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears or the sea." --Isaac Dinesen

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:36 pm
Kale says...

Not really. The reason why Medea became evil was because Jason left her for another woman in spite of their marriage, even though Medea had betrayed her own family to be with him. Medea's motivation was vengeance for a wrong committed unto her; the queen in Snow White's motivations were vanity and jealousy.

Medea was also far more active in assisting Jason, giving him the means to succeed at his tasks, and even killing her own brother to ensure Jason's escape. Snow White, on the other hand, was a passive victim who meets the prince for the first time when she is awakened.

The two stories also follow very different narrative structures, with the story of Jason and Medea being quest-oriented, while the story of Snow White is more of a fable; the main moral of Snow White's story could be seen as not taking gifts from strangers, or that it is harmful to be vain.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor