z

Young Writers Society

Heeeeelp!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 pm
AngieCandy says...

IN U.S. History class, we were assigned to do this project. In this project, you must have a collage in the front and a short essay or a poem on the back. The project is "What America Means To Me" Some people (from earlier years; he was showing examples) did themes such as "Freedom Rings" something like that or just what America Means to you! The collage has to have images representing that theme you have chosen. So I want to do something to do with unity/diversity. How people come to this country for a better life and how we really are "The Great American Melting Pot" and how no matter where we come from or how we look we are all Americans and we are very diverse and all of that. I need some help writing the poem and most importantly, come up with the basis of my theme. I know what I want but I just can't seem to put this into words. I have a LOT of problem with that. So please, PLEASE help!

Frantically and worriedly,
Ang
"Everybody stares, as she goes by
'Cause they can see the
flame that's in her eyes
Watch her when she's lighting up the night
Nobody knows that she's a lonely girl
And it's a lonely world
But she gon' let it burn
, baby,burn,baby"

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Well, you seem to have your theme already (America = Melting Pot), so it's just a matter of figuring out how you want to approach it.

Have you tried brainstorming yet? It's sometimes really helpful to just get out a paper and pencil (or word processor) and write out anything and everything that comes to mind about your topic/theme. Once you're done that, you can sift through all the stuff you've written and pick out the ideas that you can make work. You can also post up your poem for critique in the forums once you've written the first draft, or use your WriterFeed Pad to get some real-time input from a willing volunteer.

Another thing you can do is look up the accounts of immigrants and their children. They're very interesting, and reading/listening to/watching them might just give you the inspiration you need for your project.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 pm
View Likes
AngieCandy says...

Thanks! If you would like to see the finished product, I listed it under 'Other Poetry'. Hopefully that IS the right section of poetry for that particular poem. I brainstormed and eventually I wrote a poem!
"Everybody stares, as she goes by
'Cause they can see the
flame that's in her eyes
Watch her when she's lighting up the night
Nobody knows that she's a lonely girl
And it's a lonely world
But she gon' let it burn
, baby,burn,baby"

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert