z

Young Writers Society

Story with 2 genres

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:38 pm
Angel17 says...

I need help on a piece of english work. I have to begin too write a story involving two genre's which are fantasy and comedy called 'The secret life' and its meant to be a detective story. I have no idea how i can combine 2 genres.

Any ideas?
Real poetry are those with the best words in the best order

~~~~~~~~Mandy~~~~~~~~~

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:22 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Honestly, it's not as hard as you think, especially since comedy is one of your genres.

My first inclination would be to make it a fantasy story and then completely make fun of fantasy cliches. That gives any number of possibilities, depending on just which cliches you choose to include and could prove extremely amusing.

If you don't like that idea, however, just try to think of what makes a story qualify into one of those two genres. Make lists for both and see how you can meld the two together.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:32 pm
Snoink says...

I once wrote a comedy/fantasy, and it was fun. :) Dusky's right... the easiest ways to combine comedy into fantasy is to make fun of fantasy clichés. Look at fantasies and make fun of them!

For example, after we watched The Two Towers in theater, Mom made the comment of Gandalf the Bleached. Then she created this dialogue about the wonders of clorox bleach. It was hilarious.

Another interesting thing is to put the fantasy world in our own. That provides remarkable results. :) For instance, what if this online friend you met on YWS was a magical pig with wings? :D

Which brings me to the next thing: fantasy doesn't have to be high fantasy. Instead, it just has fantastic elements in it. So don't worry too much about it.

Good luck!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:23 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, all that is required to make a story a fantasy is one element of the impossible. Just write a funny story with one or two impossible elements.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:45 pm
Angel17 says...

thanks for all your help everyone!!!
Real poetry are those with the best words in the best order

~~~~~~~~Mandy~~~~~~~~~

you should no this
— Hijinks