z

Young Writers Society

Maths - Algebra - Changing The Subject

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm
View Likes
Shizzley says...

Ok, so I am baffled. Any kind of help will be appreciated as I have to complete this questions soon. I am meant to make x the subject in each one and I worked out some (wehay) but the others ahve just stumped me.

1) y = x-b/a

2) y = ax+c

3) y = ax + b/c

4) y = ax-c/b

5) y = a+b+x

6) y = x-a+b/c

Thanks xxx
I'm going to Hagrid's, I've got a good feeling about going to Hagrid's.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 am
Kale says...

Parentheses would be helpful. Right now, I can't tell where the fractions start and end. For instance, is the first question x-a divided by b, or is it x minus a/b?
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

If I understand, you need to "reverse operate," being the best way I can put it. I don't know what its officially called, but... that's not important. And, the parenthesis would be helpful, but with order of operations it shouldn't matter.
I'll also assume that you already handed this in, but I'll post for any future readers or if you don't get it, still.

1) y=x-b/a
2(add B/A)) b/a+y= x
3) Thats it, and if you plugin numbers, it works.

The Second one would be:
1) y=ax+c
2(subtract c from both sides.)) -c+y=ax
3(divide x by a)) (-c+y)/a= x

There, that should be it. I'm not doing all of them. That's just being lazy. I hope the two above will help a little. :D
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne