z

Young Writers Society

Proper Analyzation Paper?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 am
View Likes
bookworm27 says...

Eeks! I have an analyzation paper of Downeaster Alexa by Billy Joel due on Friday--I'm having serious writers block(gasp I used that phrase)!!!
Here's all I have so far, and it stinks:::
I probably need a longer intro, and help! I need tips, tricks, everything!
Time is of the essence!

Billy Joel’s stardom can be attributed to his ability to create anecdotal ballads that reflect the resilience of the human spirit. Through his songs, Joel exuviates his superstar image and invites listeners on a walk down memory lane, a journey that reinforces his humble beginnings as “the piano man.” In his eleventh album, Storm Front, Joel entwines social commentary and soulful musical arrangements to produce addictive hits that pay homage to his inception as an artist.
While many of Joel’s songs invoke feelings of hope or reminisce about previous times, Downeaster Alexa, provides insight into the plight of the ordinary man and the struggles of the working class. The song is written in the perspective of an indigent fisherman, caught at the bottom of hierarchy of society. As he is assailed with the comminatory challenges that accompany his position in a moribund trade, the fisherman laments his barren future and the sacrifices he made to conserve his lifestyle......
“Maybe it’s fate that Hound ate the map. Maybe we’ll discover soemthing wonderful while we’re lost.”-The Penderwicks

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs