z

Young Writers Society

Study Techniques

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:08 pm
View Likes
Remrock says...

Soo... I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

Anywho, I was wondering what my fellow YWSers do to study? I'm looking for some other, new ways to study.
"Play on
When you're losing the game
Play on
'Cause you're gonna make mistakes
It's always worth to sacrifice
Even when you think you're wrong
So play on
Play on"

- Carrie Underwood, "Play On"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

My study technique (my most effective one, anyway) is application. I try to get into as many discussions on the topic as I can and keep applying it to new situations. I also can do mini (or full sized) projects on a topic to better understand it.

Standard "studying" doesn't work for me, really, primarily because of the way my memory goes. I need lots of application and analysis to make sense of anything.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm
View Likes
canislupis says...

Depends on the subject and person. For example, I learn through reading words, or watching movies. Diagrams, people talking, or 'hands on" things just don't work for me. On the other hand, my little sister is a very kinesthetic learner and physically MUST be moving around when she learns to do things. People all learn in very different ways, so studying habits that work for me might not work for you or anyone else.

That said, I think a cyclical pattern works best: Listen/read a lecture, apply it, review old work, move on to the next thing. Repeat. Taking notes is important for memory, and so is review--do it as much as you can without getting bored.

I'm still not exactly sure what you meant by the question, but that's my $.02 anyway. ;)

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:52 am
View Likes
RinSuru says...

The best you can do is try different things and figure out what tends to work from what doesn't. The statement "everyone learns differently" doesn't even capture the tenth of it. A generally helpful, yet basic, self assessment comes from asking questions of concrete v abstract, book smarts v street smarts, and/or hands on approach v lecture based learning.

When you think of a new problem or situation, what is your typical 'gut instinct' to first make sense of it?

Do you tend to relate and link things better with more well defined pictures and visual presentations in front of you, or do you break it down and build on smaller pieces (like abstract concepts behind numbers and words) more internally? See if you can identify your general subconscious gut-approach to new material. I'd say there's no better starting place than that.
In the interest of actually getting somewhere and accomplishing something, I'll be 'wrong' and you can be 'right'.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:23 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

People focus on facts. Arbitrary text that our mind just processes to mean something. I don't study, I am up at 2:00 in the morning on school nights, don't eat healthy and half the time don't pay all that much attention in class, and yet I have a 93 in Earth Science. My other grades are kind of low because we just had a mid-term(math) and we all did terrible...

How do I remember? I try to enjoy it, then apply it, then take it farther. I also don't try to remember facts. I remember what was happening the moment the teacher says something or what I was doodling, etc. I remember the moment in time, not the fact. Nor do I work at vocab, it distracts from the actual content. Remember everything, and think logically.
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:12 am
View Likes
hynkle03 says...

bought this book for my son who has entered the police academy at the age of 20. He has always had trouble testing as he blanks out and gets nervous.

There is no room for lacking grades in this academy as the lowest score can only be an 80% with only one retest allowed. He failed the first test by 2 points. That%u2019s when we bought your study book.

The academics are hard learning all the laws and statutes; the days are long starting class at 6:00 am finishing at 17:00 and a very hard physical training at the end of the day in the high heat.

After focusing on the main ideas in your book, telling your friends don't call till the weekend, I need to study every night, getting with other students to find out what works for them and forming study groups with them - things have seemed to change.

My son feels more confident before each test, takes his time using the allotted time for the test, leaves the questions he is not sure of and goes back. The new result is he has the second highest grade in the class for last two tests.

Hopefully I am not tooting his horn too early but I think if he continues to focus and continues these new learned habits he will he fine. I am glad I found your book as it as sure made a difference in my son%u2019s study habits.

He has learned that just reading the book or any book is not the answer - you must apply what you read.

why don't u try this books. it so convenient. visit this webpage for more info ]]
http://3ee5a2-h-ho-4zbbt5yktzvk6m.hop.clickbank.net/

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:36 pm
View Likes
Anoia says...

The only way I ever get any independent study done is if I am helping someone else with their work or telling them about a subject I study...
Not the best for self-motivation... ;)
"What we're trying to do is to write cricket bats, so that when we throw up an idea and give it a little knock, it might...travel."

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 am
Lavvie says...

I can remember things very well so just reading a textbook in one sitting, I can remember most information. For Sciences, I use flashcards for terms. Most of studying is reading the given material and since I can memorize extremely well, everything sticks.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 am
PiesAreSquared says...

I usually study the sciences by listing down the formulas and getting them in through rote. It's worked!
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:32 pm
klotrox16 says...

I usually take notes on the subject using the textbook oncthe sections we've covered and to cncentrate study in two different rooms and listen to the classical music station on pandora in the background. Seriously it helps. It has to be instrumental only otherwise it is distracting.
In memory of 1411

394 Reviews

Reviews: 394
Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm
KnightTeen says...

I'm homeschooled (Duh), and that's one thing that is really hard for me is time management. Especially since there are days when I'm looking out the window and thinking, "It's so nice outside, I want to go play with my dogs and work in the garden."

But yeah, getting all of my work done on time can be hard.

So, first off I use a planner that I bought from Wal-Mart to write out my schedule for the month.

And then for each separate subject I study I create a weekly checklist.

Then I take subject, lets say, English, and I work on it for an hour.

If I accomplish what was scheduled for that day in the hour, great! If I do more even better! If I don't get it all done in that hour, then I just work on it more later.

While I study more than four subjects, I never work on more than four in a day. I schedule it so it's only ever four, and so that it's stuff that I can get done. If I don't get done what I needed in that hour, I work on it after supper.

Maybe this seems like a lot of work, but what it boils down to is that I use a checklist. As I get things done, I check it off and go to the next thing. It works for me, and seeing the list of things I need to do get smaller as I work helps me relieve stress.

This doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me.
Screw Yolo. I'm a cat. Nine lives losers!

I think I used to be HomeschooledTeen

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality