z

Young Writers Society

See, this is why I hate math.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:28 am
Icefire63111 says...

Basically, I missed a week and a half of school. My uncle died, and my whole family was in Quebec. Can someone please help me with my math makeup work? I'm completely buried, and I need to study for my History final this Friday...

PROBLEM 1!

A. Chris manages a clothing store. He receives coats that cost him $85 each. The percent of markup for the store is 70%. what is the consumers cost of one coat?

B. the owner of the store tells Chris to sell the coats for $127.50 each. what is the percent of markup per coat?

Problem 2!

Susan is driving to see her cousin,who lives exactly 646. If she averages a speed of 40.3 miles per hour, it will take her 16 hours.
However, Susan wants to get there in 15.5 hours. Write and solve a proportion to find Susans new speed.

problem 3!

A n engineer is building a water tower with a scale of 1inch = 5 feet. The tower's real dimensions are a height of 82 feet and a diameter of 26 feet. what are the scale dimensions of the water tower?

Suppose the engineer build a tower that is 20 inches tall. What is the new scale of the water tower model?
REVIEWS! IF You Need Them, PM me!
You Can make it all go away
The pain the suffering
The Hurt You Put her through
Let you won't;
You can't
So for every love She knows
Another stich she sews

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 am
Snoink says...

Icefire63111 wrote:Basically, I missed a week and a half of school. My uncle died, and my whole family was in Quebec. Can someone please help me with my math makeup work? I'm completely buried, and I need to study for my History final this Friday...

Sorry about that. :(

PROBLEM 1!

A. Chris manages a clothing store. He receives coats that cost him $85 each. The percent of markup for the store is 70%. what is the consumers cost of one coat?

The percent markup is basically a way so they can make money. Therefore, in order for them to make money, they need to sell it at a price more than it was worth. In this case, they want to sell it at a price 70% more than it was worth.

So!

70% = 0.70

Now! You're going to multiply that number with the amount it originally cost you.

85*0.70 = ?

And yes, I'm too lazy to do the math, lol.

Then, whatever number you get, you add that to 85. That's the price you're going to sell it at so you can be a billionaire! Don't forget to do that step... otherwise you'll be selling them at a loss. Bad stuff!

B. the owner of the store tells Chris to sell the coats for $127.50 each. what is the percent of markup per coat?

Well... first of all, you subtract 85 from 127.50. You'll get a number kind of close to 50, but not quite. I'm too lazy to do the math, lol.

Anyway the number you get (we'll call the number Bruce, just because) will look like this:

Bruce = 127.5 - 85

also

Bruce = (ze percentage of doom) * 85

You know the number Bruce (don't worry, I'll never tell!) and you know 85. You don't know ze percentage of doom. So, basically, you divide Bruce with 85. The number you get is ze percentage of doom! :)

Problem 2!

Susan is driving to see her cousin,who lives exactly 646. If she averages a speed of 40.3 miles per hour, it will take her 16 hours.
However, Susan wants to get there in 15.5 hours. Write and solve a proportion to find Susans new speed.

This is essentially a ratio! You know how they have miles per hour? Well... that basically looks like this:

Miles/hour

Yes! Miles are on top of hours! *insert suggestive joke here*

Anyway, if your teacher were nice, this would simply be a matter of doing this:

646/15.5 = speed you want!

However, you can't do this. But it's a good checking mechanism!

Instead, you get to do something more annoying:

40.3/16 = (speed you want!)/15.5

Solve for the speed you want! And you can do this by multiplying both sides by 15.5.

problem 3!

A n engineer is building a water tower with a scale of 1 inch = 5 feet. The tower's real dimensions are a height of 82 feet and a diameter of 26 feet. what are the scale dimensions of the water tower?

Suppose the engineer build a tower that is 20 inches tall. What is the new scale of the water tower model?
[/quote][/quote]

Woot! I'm an engineer! :D Though. Um. This seems to be your stereotypical civil engineer, lol. Which I am not. :P

Anyway, you can do ratios to figure this out too!

You need to find height and the diameter. So you separate them! Let's do height.

Height = 82 ft

We need to find the little height... which we will call Jeremy.

So it looks like:

So!

Jeremy / 82 ft = 1in / 5ft

Solve for Jeremy!

Also, if you would rather do this by unit conversions, it would look like:

82 ft * 1in / 5ft = Jeremy

Not sure which one looks easier for you, but it's essentially the same thing.

Hope that helps! :D And remember... math is your friiiiiiend... just a particularly evil one.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 am
Icefire63111 says...

THANK YOU SOO MUCH SNOINK!! <3
But I'm having a probelm with number 2..
I got 39 mi per hour, which logically doesnt make sense.
If she has to get there in less time, shouldn't her spped be higher?
REVIEWS! IF You Need Them, PM me!
You Can make it all go away
The pain the suffering
The Hurt You Put her through
Let you won't;
You can't
So for every love She knows
Another stich she sews

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:11 am
Snoink says...

Oops! You're right. And, according to our check, it ought to be 41.67 miles per hour! Or close anyway. So... um...

You know how it said "per hour"? Yeah... oops.

So what happens is that you put mph over mph and 1/hour over 1/hour.

AHHHHH! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

It means it looks like this:

(ze mysterious and ever elusive number)/40.3mph = (1/15.5hr) / (1/16hr)

So then, if you put a line through it, it would look like:

(zmaeen)----> (1/15.5hr)

and

40.3 mph-----> (1/16hr)

So it kind of corresponds with it!

And yeah. The reciprocal is kind of important here... if you don't put it under one, it freaks out and makes you slower. Why? Because you're looking for the hours within a certain time frame (per hour).

So yay!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil