z

Young Writers Society

20 Minute Presentation...

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:59 pm
Mira says...

I'm doing a major project for my English AP/GT class. I had to read The Merchant's Tale from the Canterbury Tales and a story that matches it almost exactly called The Blind Man and His Wife.

Now, my project consists of two parts: written essays and a presentation that has to be a minimum of twenty minutes. I've already written five out of my six essays, but I have to begin planning the presentation part.

So, my question is this, what tactics can I use to lengthen my speech? I'm not good at talking in front of people, so I'm a bit worried. I need to find things that would 'waste time' yet still get what I need to talk about across: plot, setting, gender dynamics, role of society, and how the two tales are almost the same.

Please and thank you!
~Mira
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

Easy thing to remember about presentations is, you structure them like an essay: Tell people what you're going to say, tell them, tell them what you just said.

As for lengthening, go NUTS on the examples. Give as many examples on each point as humanly possible, going from your essays. I recently had to do a (much shorter) presentation, but I was too low on time-limit. A half-dozen examples and little-known facts later, I had reached the time limit!

EDIT- Also, speak slightly slower than your normal speaking speed. This not only makes it less likely you'll stumble; it also means you give more time for listeners to follow your train of thought and lengthens your presentation.

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:17 am
Mira says...

Thanks for the advice, Rosey! I appreciate it. :)
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights