z

Young Writers Society

Interview questions needed

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:54 am
View Likes
LowKey says...

I'm interviewing women 70 years and older about the changes that have taken place in [American] society in recent decades, with regards to women. I'm planning on interviewing 6-8 women of different ethnic and economic/social backgrounds. Example in the spoiler.

Spoiler! :
For example, I have one person who is descended from royalty, who was taught piano, guitar, singing, dancing, and art right along with math, science and literature, traveled the world. who coasted through the depression, not struggling, but not flying high either, who got her AA degree and has been working her whole life. I have another who was born and raised in Oklahoma, lived in tents and shacks growing up, went to school off and on until about 5th grade, had a father who was a bootlegger, has some intense prejudices, and was a stay at home wife and mom for most of her life.

I've got the skeletal questions written already, but I'd like to have some that went by decade. For example, one regarding World War II:

In World War II, due to a great number of men being pulled to fight the war, women began to become a recognizable part of the workforce. What were your impressions of this at the time, and did you participate?

^^ Something to that effect. Questions that are based in different decades. The flappers in the 20's, the war in the 40's... If anyone has any ideas, that would be awesome.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

20s:

How did you feel about the sudden shift in morals? Did you mother embrace them or reject them?

40s:

Did you have a loved one go off to war? How did that change how you viewed it? If you didn't, how do you think your perception was different from someone who did?

50s:

How did you feel about women suddenly being told to stay at home after they held good jobs in the war? Did it impact your family at all?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:21 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

General:
Did things really change so much from decade to decade?

20s/30s:
How important were the vote and women's rights to you?
How aware were you of popular sports, like horse racing (Seabiscuit)?

I know the Seabiscuit one may seem silly, but I have wondered whether it was such a phenomenom as Laura Hillenbrand says it was.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14