z

Young Writers Society

A question I need answered :)

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:49 pm
beckiw says...

This is sort of homework help I guess! lol So I will put it here.

I have to come up with a concept/idea for a documentary film I will be making this semester and I am very interested in memory but more specifically the realm of peoples first memories. An extension of this is how we seem to construct memories from photographs we have seen but think that they are true memories and also how different people remember different moments.

So what can you do to help me?

Well I of course need to do a lot of research around this area and I thought well...we have a diverse group of people on this website. So what you can do for me is answer this simple question.

What is your first true memory?

Note: I will be putting this into a workbook/research dossier which will be read by my lecturer and also outside examiners. So if you don't feel comfortable sharing your memories with them, then you probably shouldn't participate. Just a warning ^^ Oh! but I will probably not put your names with it. So it will be anonymous, I may put your age with it though.

Thank you guys so much! x
'The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.' - Hayao Miyazaki

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Bloo says...

Hmm *thinks* Okay, I got it, I think.

I remember it was dark, (so night of nap time) and I think I was like two or three. I remember a lot of pain, and I was crying. I remember somehow getting out of my crib in all the pain, and running to my mom, and I said "it hurts" while I was wailing.

I now know it was because I had fallen and dislocated my shoulder, and cracked a bone around my elbow. So yeah, my earliest memory is me crying in pain. Nice one, eh?
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 pm
Demeter says...

My earliest memory is when my dad was still living with us (he moved when I had just turned three) and he was sort of sitting on the floor and I was sort in his piggyback and I told him, "I have a cough."

That's my earliest memory.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 am
captain.classy says...

So, I don't know if this will help. I have two:

The first one recurred when my father was telling me about my childhood, just a plain topic of discussion. He told me about how, when I was like, three or four, and I was temporarily paralyzed. The doctors never figured out why, but they guessed it was from growing pains. Anyways, when he was telling me, a memory flashed back to me yelling for my mother and father because I couldn't lift up my neck. Weird?!

The second one was recently. I went to a baby shower a few weeks ago. It was held in a district where all the houses looked the same, inside and out. I went into the house, and realized the second I walked in that I had been there before. Turns out, my grandmother, who is dead (stupid cancer) lived in a house just like it. My mother told me of how I used to spend all my time with her at the house. It brought back a lot of painful memories. I only was in the house for a total of about five minutes, before i had to run out, crying.

I don't know if this is what you are going for, but I hope it helps!
~Classy

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:32 am
View Likes
Lia says...

Oh wow! I have many memories from when I was small. I have good memory with events from that time, since it was happy.
My first two memories are with my gran (mother's side)
First one (I just got it) I think I was about 1 or so ( I asked my mum about the time) I was on the balcony with my gran in the city and I was looking through I pair of binoculars that made everything blue. I remember gran was drinking coffee and she gave me a sip.
My second memory with gran is the day she died (I was 2). I remember opening the door to see her in bed and everyone worried around knowing it wouldn't be long so they let me in so she could see me one last time. I stayed with her till the end.

My dad's mum
Umm,and I remember it was Saint Nickolas and I some kids in kindergarten told me there is no Santa and Saint Nick and I was scared and i expected he wouldn't come. I remember there was a also a black-out in the village that night and I was sitting under an oil lamp looking at a picture book( I was with my gran far from the city and when we had heavy snow black-outs usually occurred). The next morning my boots were filled with candy and toys and I knew there was a Saint Nick :lol: .
The truth is that my dad drove all night from the city to come and put the presents then left immediately.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:45 am
Rena0421 says...

First off, this is a cool assignment. Second off, Lia's memory was so sweet. Ah, I love your father for that and I don't even know him.

Okay, my earliest memory would be when I was three. I used to suck a pacifier although I was far too old for that. We were at church and my grandmother took the only one I had with me that Sunday. And I can remember crying and not being able to breath as she was walking to her car and my mom held my hand because it was Easter Sunday and we had to take pictures(which I never appeared in because I was hysterical) and no one could figure out what was wrong with me because I couldn't calm down long enough to tell them.

Obviously, the fact that I know it was Sunday or Easter Sunday for that had all been filled in for me. And we have these gorgeous pictures of my sisters and cousins in their suits and dresses when we were all younger and I'm nowhere to be found. It's a shame, really. I missed out. They still tease me for that one, too.

Hope this helped.

-Rena.
rena;;let the future pass and don't let go

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:34 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Mine is rather simple. xD

I remember snow. I must of been very young, because I was living in New Jersey and it was the first time I had seen it. I remember looking outside and seeing this blinding whiteness and being fascinated by it.

Hope that helps at all. :P
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:30 am
Carlito says...

I don't know if this was the first but it's definitely one of the first....

I remember being able to run under my kitchen table and I thought it was a lot of fun. I have no idea how old I was but I was small :)

Good luck!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:05 pm
View Likes
fluteluvr77 says...

Hmm, I think I was 3 or 4?
I was in Singapore and there was this guy who lived the floor below in the condo we used to live in. My sister, this other girl, and I went to visit him. They served this really spicy vegetable noodle soup thing. And the guy's little sister kept pulling my hair really hard and I started crying. And then the guy started laughing.
Lovely memory, I know...:P
Peace, love, and chocolate,
Flute Loops<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:15 am
View Likes
tuckerluvr says...

Mine was when I was about 3 when I started daycare. Terrible times.
the purposes of a man's heart are deep waters but a man of understanding draws them out

- Proverbs 20:5

You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"