z

Young Writers Society

1984 Book Reports

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 am
mandeyy says...

I have to write seven entries , three hundred words long , on anything about 1984 . Characters , motifs , symbols . I'd rather have a ten page research paper with a purpose .

Anywaaays , helping me out would be very nice :D
I wrote three already ( though the third is not done ) , and aaaaany assistance ( Critiquing is one , or more ideas for other entries . Or other entries ;D ) .

x-x-x

I am rewriting my paper, so ignore what you read before.
Right now , I have nothing to show you , but I have questions that I would love for you to answer ! :D
Alright .

I have the other two . What does " Freedom is Slavery " mean ?
Last edited by mandeyy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
i sleep under yer bed .

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:42 am
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

My biggest problem with these is that they're just telling, really.
Don't get me wrong-- they are written fine -- but this 1984 we're talking about! There's so much symbolism in this book. Don't just give us a little summary of Oceania's government!

Here are some themes or more interesting things to write about:

--Language as Mind Control (think of Newspeak)
--Psychological manipulation
--Control of Information and History

Some symbols:

--Big Brother (mention how her represents Stalin and psychological oppression)
--Glass Paperweight
--St. Clemens church

PM me for anything -- this is my favorite book! :D
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:44 pm
KailaMarie says...

Some ideas for more entries could be:
-Was the ending sucessful, and why?
-Should Winston be considered a hero?
-Talk about Winston's inner struggle
-Talk about Winston's family, and Julia
-Why Big Brother is so sucessful (can't die because it's not a specific person, doublethink, turning kids against their family at such a young age)
-Talk about the proles and how they are the only hope

There's a lot you can do with this book. I loved when we did it in school. PM me if you need help.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

28 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:30 pm
mandeyy says...

Thank you guys !
For my next few I'm going to write about Newspeak , Big Brother , and maybe something on Love and Human Nature ?
Any additions to these three topics would be loved .

And I'm sorry about the telling . D: I know that's like a key rule in writing but when it comes to writing things like these , I just get so fed up !
i sleep under yer bed .

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:38 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

Heya! I think 1984 is the most awesome book I have ever read.

lives under a strange and tyrannical government

1) 1984 foretells what Orwell believed Britain would turn into after the Second World War; he did not believe that democracy would survive.

2) It is not strange to the people and is not strange to us, really; it's a totalitarian regime except they do actually have control over people's minds through forced patriotism.

There is actually so much you can talk about in this book. The entire section of the book (supposedly) written by Goldstein is probably the most important. The ending is also essential as we gather Smith has to give in, and there is no hero. The fact of the matter is the government is right in his world, and there's nothing he can do about it.

So. Yeah. Just thought I'd offer a little pointers. =D
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

28 Reviews

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:24 am
mandeyy says...

Thank you guys !

I've rewritten my whole thing because I couldn't stand it , see above edit on original post .

<3 help appreciated .
i sleep under yer bed .

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:03 am
Snoink says...

For "Freedom is slavery," I think it's important to note it in context. Remember that the quote is:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Also, remember that in this world, newsspeak is becoming the ideal. They are trying to cut words out. So, by making war = peace, freedom = slavery, and ignorance = strength, it's basically making those words, which are powerful words, into nothing. Which is what newsspeak is all about -- turning something with meaning and bastardizing it so that there is no meaning left to the point that there is nothing more to say.

An interesting side-reading, which may make this more clear, is George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" which is located here: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

In this short essay, he explains how meaning is sucked out of words. I think you will find it very helpful. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love