z

Young Writers Society

Specific/Density Impulse

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 am
View Likes
Hippie says...

I have to do a physics report on a manned mission to Mars. It involves choosing fuel types for the ship. I've narrowed it down to liquid hydrogen or hydrazine. Hydrogen has a higher specific impulse, and hydrazine has a higher density impulse. I don't have a clue what these terms mean, and my teacher says he's never heard of them before.

Any Einsteins out there?
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:52 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

I don't remember ever having to do anything like that when I did physics. But here ya go.

Specific impulse is a way to describe the efficiency of rocket and jet engines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse

As for 'density impulse' I can't find a reference to it. Though maybe if you read through that article it will give you an idea. I'm thinking that it might refer to the amount of impulse you get being more for a similar amount (which is why they use density).

Good luck!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:59 am
View Likes
Hippie says...

Thanks. Now that I know the units for specific impulse I could find out the rate of fuel consumption which is what I needed.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:13 am
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Glad to be of help. =P

^_^ Keek

(Seriously. I never got to do any projects like this. >_>)
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte