z

Young Writers Society

Change in Ideals

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:06 am
WaterVyper says...

I have a humongous project coming up, and it's about the ideological part of Minangkabau culture. I'm not asking about the Minangkabau, but I am having a few issues about how ideals and beliefs change over time. If anyone could help me with this, it would be very much appreciated.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Reviews: 3
Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 pm
Blue Giraffe says...

I'm not sure that I understand the quesiton, but I'll try to help.

The first thing that comes to mind when you say something about the change of ideals and beliefs over time is the old concept that the world was flat. Everyone believed that it was flat, and it was an accepted part of life. Then Columbus and some other explorers sailed around to different parts of the world, and came back with proof that the world was really round. There's a change in beliefs, because they got more information.

So maybe your culture believed one thing for a long time, then someone got brave and explored the concept of it and either proved that it was very correct or very wrong. Does that make any sense?

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:16 am
LilyJamey says...

You mean Minangkabau, as in the one who makes pointy horn roofs? Okay, that's beside the point, I know. Anyway.

We learnt in history that the kaedah lisan (verbal factor), a.k.a. storytelling, makes information twisted and slowly changed. Like, for instance, Lee tells George that the earth is round and 2/3 of it is sea. George says to John that the earth is oval and 3/4 of it is sea. John tells me that the moon is oval and 3/4 of it is sea.

Retelling after retelling, the information gradually changes. Traditional beliefs passed on by word of mouth gradually change.

PM me if you're confused about my explaination.
Got YWS?

Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle