Young Writers Society

Discursive Essay

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:16 am
View Likes
Lost_in_dreamland says...

I posted this on my blog but got no replies so I decided to post here:

I'm in serious need of help, and I mean serious.
Anyway, I'm working on my essay, yes, working on it! Finally, after only seventeen hours of avoiding it.

Anyway, it's a discursive essay, basically you choose a topic that's rather controversial and discuss the arguments for and against &c. &c.
I'm doing: Does literature have a positive impact upon society.

I've split it up into three sub-arguments:
Argument I
Controversy in literature - having controversial issues or characters and how this impacts upon society, one argument for having controversy in literature, one against and then a case study (a book that has controversial ideas/ characters in it.)

Argument II
Setting ideals for society - how some books shaped society's ideals, and what we think of as 'right'. One argument for setting ideals, one against and a case study.

Argument III
I haven't quite thought of this one yet.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions on my choice of arguments and a help on what books to choose as case studies.

For Argument I I'm not sure what book I'm going to use, some suggestions would be good.

Argument II I'm thinking of choosing some Shakespeare, as he dealt with a lot of moral issues &c. But! This is subject to change and if anyone can think of anything better I'd be much obliged.

Basically - Do you think these arguments are valid for the point I'm trying to make (Does literature have a positive impact upon society?) ?
Do you think the arguments are strong ones that could be argued for both sides?
And finally;
Could you possibly help me choose some books for my case studies (It was my idea to use books as case studies, so I kind of need these. xD)

For my case studies I'm thinking of using Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, and finally, I need a little help with choosing a final argument and final book, note: The books I am doing are old books, 20th century backwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'd be much obliged.

xD
for what are we without words and stories?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:54 am
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

Some of the top censored books:

--Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

--Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

--Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling

I have more if you need some... ^_^

~Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:52 am
View Likes
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Some more would be great Sakura, but don't worry about it, thanks for the suggestions.

8)
for what are we without words and stories?

The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill