z

Young Writers Society

The Scarlet Letter

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:08 pm
View Likes
Mira says...

Okay, so I have a two part exam next week in AP English over the Scarlet Letter and instead of trying to do it by myself, I was wondering if someone would discuss the concepts and themes of the book with me. ^-^ Please help!

Anyway, one of the main things we talked about in our class discussions was outsiders. Dimmesdale, Chillingsworth, Hester, and Pearl are all outsiders in a way. Of course, according to my teacher, Pearl can never be removed from her status of seclusion. This is true because she cannot take back the fact that she was born from adultry. Hmm... Anything that anyone wants to add? I'm going to have to take a multiple choice test and write two timed essays. Please help!

Other things we talked about:
Sin
Union
Guilt
The effects of sin and lies

Please add anything that you deem important and something that would add to the discussion. Thank you a bunches!!!

@;- Saph
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm
View Likes
guitargrl1323 says...

i'm not quite sure what else to add, but try sparknotes.com if you get desperate.

51 Reviews

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:25 pm
View Likes
Mira says...

Thanks. ^-^ I'll try, but my English teacher likes to make everything super hard. Wish me luck. I start the exam on Wednesday...

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

If you want to discuss it, I'd love to. :D I haven't read the book in a year, but I remember it pretty well, and I have mine with notes somewhere. I wouldn't know what to add to this, but if you have questions or want me to explain themes, feel free to ask. It's an amazing book, isn't it? I adore Hawthorne.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

51 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 am
View Likes
Mira says...

I would love it if you could discuss a few of the themes. My teacher told the class today - in so many words - that it was a pretty hard test. He also said that this will base our grades for the six weeks. Ugh... I'm so not looking forward to it. I'm going through and rereading parts of it, but I would appreciate it soo much if others would put in their thoughts. ^-^ Please and thank you!

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19