z

Young Writers Society

Choosing Topic for Public Speaking

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 am
TheLittleLoser says...

Hello everyone!

I'm assigned to do a speech in two weeks time. The theme given is "Regeneration and Renewal". I need your help in choosing my topic.

I thought about doing a topic on "Renewable Energy". But that might too boring. Something less technical?

Any ideas? Help me!

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:57 am
LowKey says...

Of the options available under that category, I actually think renewable energy might be the most interesting. Could pull a bit of history into it. Dunno where you are in the world, but with Pacific Northwest History (Washington and Oregon State) your could pull in the dams and how they effected the environment and local indian tribes. Depending on your side, of course, that could work for or a against you. Talk about the towns in Mexico that have installed solar panels on every single rooftop of their buildings, talk about Japan's model car that runs on water.

You could do recycling, and not just plastics and cans, but water as well. Expand the report to include the parts of India where all the computers and parts that people throw away end up. Talk about recycling batteries and other electronic things so they don't end up in spots like that.

Just tossing ideas off for you. All topics in this area have the potential to be boring and technical, if only because we're tired of hearing about them. It's all in how you approach it. And just because it's boring to research doesn't mean your speech and report needs to be boring. You can spice it up, add your own thoughts, word your sentences and present your information in ways that make everything seem new, even if they're old news, make things sound cool, even if people have been regarding them with yawns and glazed eyes. You're a writer, right? Put your skills to use and make this an awesome speech. :)
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:54 pm
TheLittleLoser says...

Hey finally a response! Hooray! Haha. This is my first time posting btw. After being silent in this society for almost a year. I mean my 2nd post, the 1st time should be the one on top... oh well you get my point.

Yeah I thought so too -- about that renewable energy part. Nay I'm not anywhere near Pacific Northwest. Though I can include some of its histories in my speech. The effects of that dam to the Indian tribe sounds interesting :D Never heard of it to be honest.

Yes I'm a writer but not a good one. Well, I guess its time to wear my thinking cap and get this speech written. Spices spices, I need spices! lol.

Anyway thanks for you opinion. It helps a lot. I really appreciate it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:47 am
Minimal says...

Does the topic for regeneration and renewal only allow for energy, technologies and so on? Or can it be associated with the many different topics? If you can talk about anything, then I would suggest a speech on religion which can be very fascinating.
You can apply it to any religion and any time period. You can talk about the Protestant reformation, or the many sub-divisions of Calvinism in America. You can concentrate on The Great Awakening and the regress to fundamentalism being experienced now. I only suggest Christian topics because it is the only religion I know anything about, but I am sure it applies to every religion there is out there.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:38 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

Short and sweet: Choose something comfortable and not very popular.
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 am
Gahks says...

There are four kinds of speeches: informative, persuasive, political and cultural. Maybe think around these four areas and see what comes up.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:03 am
J_Fang says...

You could do a speech about how Hollywood (or major film production center in your area) moves in cycles constantly renewing old movie themes and ideas. How certain genere's get revived consistantly in correlation with the economies.

There is a correlation to how the economy fluctuates and what types of films are produced, so it could make for an interesting piece.

Of course, this would be easier or harder depending on how big of a movie fan you are. Though if like me you have a favorite genere you could even go into detail on how that specific genere of film and even literature is renewed by outside influences.

I may be stretching the idea frame here, but it seems possible.

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale