Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:02 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Can someone please tell me the

Meaning of
[b[califragilisticexpialidocious[/b]

Thanks
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm
View Likes
Horserider says...

Isn't there supposed to be "super" in front of it? I have a little dictionary that has this section in the back that lists the longests words in the English language and that word is actually in there. In this dictionary, the meaning is listed as "a word to say when you don't know what to say" I believe. Don't hold me accountable though.

Why?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 pm
View Likes
Krupp says...

This cannot be a part of a school-related thing...no school would ask a kid to try and get a definition out of that.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:17 am
View Likes
Lava says...

We were asked to get a bunch of the longest words and I didn't know what this meant and couldn't find any info on it either.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 am
View Likes
madel says...

i heard a children's song uhm diddle diddle uhm diddle ay

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Even though the sound of it is something quite atrosicous!

If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious

hahaha i heard that song from the cd of my baby

cousin even i don't exactly know what it means hahaha
think of a way to get what you want

without giving up more than what you have....

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 am
View Likes
Ducati says...

Watch Mary Poppins. What are they teaching kids in school these days?
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 am
View Likes
anti-pop says...

Why not try antidisestablishmentarianism?

Here's a tidbit of an article on Wikipedia that might be of use to you:

The word "antidisestablishmentarianism" itself is often referenced in English-speaking popular culture due to its unusual length of 28 letters and 12 syllables. It is commonly believed to be the longest word in the English language, excluding coined and technical terms not found in major dictionaries.

Longer words typically have been coined by specific authors in relatively modern times, or are obscure technical names. For example, floccinaucinihilipilification, first used in prose by William Shenstone in 1741, is 29 letters long, but was thought to have been coined as a nonsense word by a single person or small group of students at Eton. It is rumoured that this was intended to mean "to value something at nothing" or to describe a lack of value. Another word specifically coined to be the 'longest word in the English language' is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from the song of the same name in the film Mary Poppins. Chlorofluorocarbonation is also a word that is almost as long as antidisestablishmentarianism, meaning, "the act of putting chlorofluorocarbons into the air."

Recently, the 2007 edition of Guinness Book of World Records listed "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" as the longest word in the English language. The medical term is a lung disease, caused by the "inhalation of very fine silica dust from volcanoes." The disease may make it harder to breathe, and people with it need to be hooked up to a lung machine (an artificial lung). This too was a purposely coined word, with the explicit intent of being a long word.

Hope that helps. ;)

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:25 pm
View Likes
Horserider says...

Why not try antidisestablishmentarianism?

I love that word. It means the link between the opposition of church and state. It was my favorite word even before I knew what it meant.

"pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" as the longest word in the English language

Really? I had a little dictionary that listed the longest word in the world as having over 1,000 letters and meaning something scientific. Not that it was a real word since I don't know anyone that could pronounce it.

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane