z

Young Writers Society

Hyperventilating! SAT's!

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:19 am
View Likes
lukas8u says...

Seesh. I am sitting here, and I just realized something. Let me explain. I am 13, and the SAT that I am taking doesn't count. I am part of a talent search program, (really not trying to brag), and I am taking them early, but the date kinda crept up on me. Im taking it in 2 days, on Saturday.

I need some tips! :shock:
Political blog, (with a liberal lean)
Here

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:40 am
View Likes
Mars says...

Hey, brag. That's awesome!
So if the SAT doesn't count, it's practice? or is it an entrance exam to the talent search? Either way, don't freak too much. Just get a good night's sleep and review some stuff. The fact that you're even taking it this early means you're fairly brainy :) And if you don't do as well as you like, you have plenty of time to retake them. So...chill. XD
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:02 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Eat breakfast. I forgot and I ended up getting 600 points lower than when I took it next.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:07 pm
View Likes
Krupp says...

Just relax. If it doesn't count then that should take the pressure OFF of you. It shouldn't INCREASE.

I panicked the first time I took SAT's as a junior in high school. When I retook them my senior year, I realized something: They aren't as big of a deal as everyone thinks of them as. I didn't even study and I took it and did well. I pretty much skipped every math section, but I did so well on the reading and writing that it didn't matter. The SAT's aren't the end-of-all-things, as it were.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:35 pm
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

I've taken it (you're not that special, ha :) ). It's not that hard. Just remember: it's better to skip a question than to get it wrong.

For every question you get right, you get 1 point.
If you skip a question, you get no points.
If you choose the wrong answer, you have 1/4 of a point taken away.
That doesn't sound like much, bu think about it: If you have 1 point, but miss four questions, you're back at zero.

Other tips:
-Use your calculator only when you need to. You'll waste time punching "3+4" in the calculator. Doing simple arithmatic by hand is quicker.
-Don't read the reading comp. passages. Skim to get the gist, read the questions, and then go back and read only the parts of the passage that will help you get the answer.
-Don't try to think algebraically. If you get a problem with variables, you can plug in whatever you want!
-If you are plugging answer choices into an equation, start with C, the center answer. It will help you know if you need to guesss higher or lower. It is also the correct answer a lot.
-the answer "the answer cannot be determined" is almost never right! The SAT writers add that answer to difficult questions so kids think, "If I can't solve it, no one can!"
-Read the questions carefully. Very carefully.
-Be sure to drag quotes and examples from literature into your essy. They love that.
-Don't worry about simple grammatical errors. Your essay will be graded like it is a rough draft.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:26 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I wouldn't freak out too much. Like you said, it doesn't count, and at the very least, it will be good practice.

I second Haruno's tips. Also, go on to collegeboard.com and try some of their SAT Questions of the Day or other practice problems. I did and it relieved my nerves a lot. I ended up doing really well.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky