z

Young Writers Society

Need help on debate

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:54 am
jules4848 says...

In Language Arts class for the past weeks we have been working on debates based on presidential candidates. Anyway we have everything written out only we can't put that on our index cards. We are only aloud to put key points. Plus we are on a time limit!

My part is the crossfire, which is really hard to prepare for because I have to almost make it up as I go but still stick to our main issue, which in this case is Energy.

Anyone have any tips for when I go up there and basically talk the life out of me in hope of a good grade.

Just some additional info:

time limit: 2 mins
grade based on time: grade drops if go far under time or far past
points are taken off for long glances at note cards
my whole grade has never done a debate before so were all in the dark here
how do I do the crossfire if I don't know what they are going to talk about, you can only say so much in 2 mins.
how would I prepare
points are taken off for going off topic

THANK YOU TO ANYONE IN ADVANCE WHO HELPS!!!!
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

Reviews: 1
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:45 am
RavenHeart says...

I wish our class had stuff to do with debates :( They are fun! All you have to do is be confident with your points and keep it organised!!!!!! And if your crossfire is like rebuttal, then you should pick out maybe two or thee strong point and hammer them with that. And you shouldn't be worried about going off topic if you have such a small time to do it in. And as for preping for corssfire, think of points the other person/team might bring up, then research them. Research is good; it means that if you get stuck you always have somewhere to fall back to. Besides, it is hard to argue solid points xp

Anways, that pretty much all I can think of right now, and I hope this isn't late.......... And if it is, sorry xp
RavenHeart.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:47 pm
jules4848 says...

ya... I should probably have taken this off. I had my debate last Wednesday. I got a solid score in everything but the time.

My team had this plan that at thirty second we would put out an index card saying 30 Seconds and at fifteen seconds we would put out a card saying 15 seconds. Well at 30 secs. my teammate accidently put out 15 secs. so I rushed through my last two parts that would noramally take 30 secs. of course then they realizes they were wrong an switched it but I didn't have anymore information.

So I ended up being like 20 secs under. So Instead of getting in the 90s like I should have gotten I got and 84 all because of my time. It just killed my grade. And this project counted at 30% of my grade so I was really pissed.

Plus I hate this teacher because she makes us write essays and she grades it out of 6 so everytime i would get 5/6 which equals an 83. And then there was that one time I got a 4/6 which equals a 67. Yah I think I failed her class I did extra class, but I have no clue if it helped!!!

Thanks anyway!!!
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats