z

Young Writers Society

Science Extra Credit

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:07 am
thunder_dude7 says...

This is actually pretty simple. We have to bring in a water bottle filled with 2-10 liquids that form layers. For each layer, we get one bonus point. Naturally, we can't fill it with just water and get one.

So far, I've found four. From top to bottom.

Olive/cooking oil
Water
Body Wash
Syrup

Those last two may be the other way around. They never ended up in the glass at the same time in my experimenting.

I also found some liquids that did NOT work:

Hydrogen Peroxide
Windex
Dish soap

Ideas I am unsure about:

Alchohal
Antifreeze

You don't need to test anything, I just need ideas. Whatever you think of helps.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:11 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

Basically, find things that won't emulsify. Type that into Google to get a few more results. Crude oil? Petrol? Though I doubt you'll have those at home :wink:

Try cream (not milk). It needs to be an insoluble liquid--I forget the rest, haven't done it in ages. Vinegar? Lemon juice? Find something like mayonnaise (which is an emulsion) and take away the emulsifier (in this case, egg yolk) and the rest should be what you're after.

I think.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon