does anyone know about the real story behind the Salem Witch Trails

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:54 pm
Fishr says...

...except I despise Wiki to no end for a researching tool. XD

Have you tried researching on your own? Because no one here is going to do the work for you. That being said, I posted on your thread in the Research Forum. If you have start researching, where exactly are you "hung up" on? Basically, what exactly do you need help with? Be specific with your questions. What you're asking is too broad.

Welcome aboard. (Psst... Try and remember to use proper grammar. This is a Writing Website, however. ;)).
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:24 am
scotty.knows says...

Try reading the court transcripts of the Salem Witch trials.

Follow this link, here.

This is, word for word, what happened.

It's very enlightening.

I might also read the Malleus Maleficarum, the "Witch Hunting Guide" the colonists used. It's a fascinating read.

I agree with Garrison, anyone can look up the wikipedia article by themself, you don't need us to look there.
'Merikuh!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:39 am
Monki says...

Ooh! I learned about these at the beginning of this year (eighth grade advanced)! But, I'd be of no help to you because I didn't pay attention to the movie and take notes like we were supposed to (no one did). Sorry. Lmao. Good luck.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:46 pm
Lynlyn says...

My favorite explanation is Ergotism - i.e., their bread grew weird funguses and they were all tripping - though barely any historians support this theory. It is, however, the one that would make for the most interesting story (albeit my idea of interesting is probably different from yours).

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=2167
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1037.htm

Again, I wouldn't go around trying to convince people that this is the answer, but to me it's a lot more, er, intriguing for research purposes than the other options.

If you're looking for some psychological background you can read the Crucible - it's fiction, but it might give you a good idea of some of the tension that was there at the time.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:02 pm
~Volant~ says...

hm....I can tell that this was a long time ago, but I can give some information....:lol:

Three girls were playing around one day reading each other's fortunes. They were caught by their parents, and they feared punishment. Witchcraft, after all, was a terrible crime. So, they decided, how could they be punished if they weren't accountable?

They agreed to act possessed. They'd suddenly stop what they were doing, crawl under something, and start rambling in strange languages. Or they'd have a sudden fit on the floor. Or freeze up and stare off for a long time. The priest asked them who did it, and they chose a few people at random that no one liked. These people, though innocent, were burned.

It should've ended there, but the girls realized they had power. They were given names, which were echoed back to the judge in a courtroom. And that's when it all began.

But that's all I know....*is frustrated* I have to look into it more...
Where are we going?

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 pm
Kaylyn says...

Okay the Salem Witch trials were siad to have started after two teenage girls ate hazardous fungi on some moldy bread. They accussed their maid of being witches. Of course a really good literature piece to read if you're looking for is Witch Child by Celia Rees. It was a really good book, even if you aren't doing it for history. I love studingy on the Samlem Witch Trials.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:17 am
Medusa says...

look down
Last edited by Medusa on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:18 pm
Medusa says...

"Giles Corey of the Salem Farms" a play by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The HP Lovecraft books
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley