z

Young Writers Society

Literature Anthology

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:55 am
CrystalSorceress says...

For Language Arts this year, I have to create an anthology of literary works. It requires that I have a novel, a drama, four short stories (by different authors), and four poems (by different authors).

I think I know what I'm doing for the novel and the drama, and I have an idea for one short story, but other than that, I have no clue what to use for this.

I need to be able to get a decent length reflection on the piece, so I'd like something with some kind of meaning to it.

If anyone has any suggestions of authors of poems or short stories, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

-Sorceress
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.- Theodor S. Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:20 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I like 'the man he killed' by Thomas Hardy but there are many good poems. Perhaps something by Simon Armitage? Here's a site you can browse - http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/ - there should be a poem you like there.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:53 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

ohh! Fun! I always like Virginia Wolf (well, the bit I've read) as well as Vonnegut, Card, Orwell, Bradbury, Asimov, and yes, that is a rather sci-fi trend you see :P Harrison Burgeon is a favorite of mine by Vonnegut.

As for poets, I tend to really like Frost and Plath and Poe, nothing in particular. Poe's short stories are awesomely morbid, too, if you like that.

Um... I'm trying to think what else I've read and liked.. is there a theme you're looking for, here? Any genre you like, or would like to see more of?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:59 am
View Likes
CrystalSorceress says...

It's really pretty much any genre or author that I want. But we're not allowed to use things that have yet to be published, and we also are supposed to use "widely read authors". Apparently things like Chicken Soup for the Soul are not read widely enough.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If anyone has any others, I'm still happy to hear them. I haven't gone to the library yet.

Thanks!

-Sorceress
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.- Theodor S. Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss)

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:41 am
View Likes
Meep says...

I'd suggest The Raven for a poem. It's one of my favorites.

If you're into fantasy, Firebird and The Green Man and Waifs and Strays are all collections of fantasy short stories by various authors, and they're all very good.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:05 am
Meshugenah says...

Oh, yes! Firebird is good! Both anthologies, actually. Speaking of Anthologies... Legends (and Legends II) are good as well, and more on the fantasy side of things. There's some widely read authors in there, too.

Isn't Waifs and Strays all Charles DeLint? I know I have that somewhere at home, and I loved it.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:58 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

That is correct, sorry. Waifs and Strays is entirely Charles deLint's work.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:29 am
-KayJuran- says...

For the poems, I really like 'Tiger, Tiger' by William Blake. =)

It's written in a pretty simplistic style, but in a good way, and I think it's an all ages thing.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:00 am
Firestarter says...

Anything by Yeats or Tennyson for poetry.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown