z

Young Writers Society

math help

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:35 pm
Tassen Spellbinder says...

Anyone here feel like helping Tassen with summer homework? I've got a math packet, and the last 6 problems give me a graph and tell me to "state the dominant range of each..." What the heck is it talking about?
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:19 pm
Rydia says...

I'm not sure. What do the graphs represent? Do you have a list of statistics with them?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

58 Reviews

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:43 pm

No statistics, but if it helps, we're also supposed to tell if they're a function or not. but I know how to do that.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:51 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Sorry, I don't know then. I've only ever found the range with a group of statistics.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:03 pm
Crysi says...

Oh man, calculus has destroyed all previous math knowledge. Let's see...

Telling if it's a function or not... Well, if you have graphs, that's easy: use the line test. How do you do that? Simple. Take your pencil, put it on the paper so it's parallel with the y-axis, and slowly move it across the graph. If at any point you see more than one line on the left side of the paper -- like you have a parabola facing to the right, or whatever -- that means it is NOT a function.

Basically, if any given X-value produces more than one Y-value, then it's not a function. Got it?

Now, as for the dominant range... I'm not entirely sure. I believe the "range" is the set of Y-values, yes? So maybe the dominant range is simply the Y-values presented on the graph -- like 0<Y<5, or something. I honestly don't know, sorry!

Good luck!

[Edit] You know, I was thinking, and maybe it's a typo? Maybe it should be "Find the domain and range of each." One could easily type "dominant range" instead of "domain and range" if one was not paying attention. I'd go with that, especially if you're just learning them! So the domain is all the X-values on the graph, and the range is all the Y-values. If it's a line, you generally use less than, greater than signs, like 0<X<5, to show the values it covers. Actually, if it includes those end values, you should use "less than or equal to" signs, etc. If there are just points, then list the X-values of those points as the domain and the Y-values of those points as the range. Got it? :)

Hope I helped!
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:16 pm
Snoink says...

I think they're talking about the domain, so basically how far the domain (aka y) stretches.

Hope that helps!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

58 Reviews

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Actually, if you look at it right, it could be Domain & range instead of dominant range. thanks.

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna