z

Young Writers Society

Speech help

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Thu May 24, 2007 6:56 am
Sohini says...

Hello there,
I was wondering if you could suggest me a speech.
Actually, I want to try out for the elocution contest at school when it reopens.
We are supposed to chose a speech which will last for a max. of 2 minutes.

Can you help me find a speech? I can’t do a strong-voiced or a patriotic speech cuz my voice isn’t all that powerful.

And if it is from Shakespeare, can you suggest something soft and meek and definitely from a female character? Last year I said Shylock’s speech and I sounded too gentle to be him.

Thanks in advance,
Sohini.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Thu May 24, 2007 9:54 am
McMourning says...

Hello!
I've only done speeches that I've written. But, I do know that they all start at the same place: research. While researching a topic or person you're interested in, you'll probably come across a speech. Select about two paragraphs of it.

The research will help you get a feel for the topic, and an understanding of the background of the speech. That way, you'll be more comfortable presenting.

Best of Luck,

McMourning
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:52 pm
alleycat13 says...

I've only done speeches that I've written

Me too, I'm afraid.

I can't really help you with a suggestion, but I can help with other stuff, maybe. I've done lots of public speaking and have done quite well in several contests.

When you speak, what you choose is only half the question. You say you have a soft-voice. Well, are you going to have a microphone? Do you know how large the room is that you will be speaking in? Will you be on a stage and be able to move or stationary behind a podium? Will it be memorized? Lighting? Where will the judges be positioned so you can address them? If you are going to read it, how well can you look up and engage the audience. These are also things you need to consider.

Anyway, there's some food for thought. I'll keep my eyes open for something to suggest.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Got YWS?

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:11 am
Sohini says...

er, the thing is over. but thanks for willing to help.

Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson