z

Young Writers Society

"Dessert" in French?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 12, 2007 5:03 pm
Emerson says...

For French class we have to make a menu for a restaurant.

I'm not exactly sure what to call my dessert section. Dessert is a boring word, and apparently, a cognate. I could call it "plat de apres diner" but that is also kind of odd.

Any suggestions?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat May 12, 2007 5:59 pm
Trident says...

I could ask someone I know who spent years in France immersed in stuff like this. I'll see what she comes up with.
Perception is everything.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat May 12, 2007 7:00 pm
Trident says...

All right, Clau, I've talked to her. She said that a fancy word that is used on recipe programs (I'm guessing she means television shows and the like) would be 'entremet'. She also said that it used to be used for a type of porridge served between meals, but the meaning has somewhat changed. Your French teacher might not know what you're talking about if you use it. though.

She did say that 'dessert' is used most commonly, so it might just be best to go with that.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 12, 2007 7:06 pm
Emerson says...

“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato