z

Young Writers Society

French pronouns... *growls*

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue May 01, 2007 11:58 pm
Emerson says...

So, I'm doing a review for a test. I need to know how to use two pronouns in a sentence that is passé composé and negative.

The whole two pronoun thing is fine with me, I know the order. The thing is, I tend to forget where the "ne...pas" goes. Around the avoir/être and the past participle or...?

As you can see, I haven't a clue.

Merci pour m'aidez! (Heck, I'm not even sure that is right...)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed May 02, 2007 12:22 am
Crysi says...

*thinks*

So, I'm assuming you mean like negating "Il m'en a donné," correct? I'm pretty sure the "ne" goes after the subject (in this case, "Il") and the "pas" goes between avoir/être and the past participle. Let me check... (as if you're aware of the time lapse, lol)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right. I always get confused with negatives in the past tense and using pronouns, too. Too many variations! *laughs*

Good luck!
Love and Light

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 am
JC says...

Ne -infinative- pas.

Except in some rare casses =D

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 02, 2007 12:32 am
Emerson says...

lol, Thanks Crysi!

JC- I think you aren't sure what I'm speaking of? PC has no infinitives...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah