z

Young Writers Society

Essay on Animal Farm

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:51 am
JC says...

Okay, So for English I had to write about Napoleon's leadership in Animal Farm. Note, I didn't like the book, so it was hard for me not to show that in the essay. That and I'm not the best formal writer in the world. I'm more into stories where I can bend the rules. =D

So...Here it is if you want to read it....

Napoleon, uses a combination of body guards, lack of education on the other animals part, and Squealers speaking skills to both obtain and hold power over the animals of animal farm.

A kind of fear educed obedience has been used by many past power-hungry leaders, and will no doubt be used by many more. In Napoleon's case, nine ferocious dogs bring about this obedience. Every time an animal gets too close to him or raises a question, a dog will growl, restoring order. This is effective because animals-people even-sometimes confuse one emotion for another. The fear created by the dogs could easily be mistaken for respect or an odd sort of trust. This is only effective because the animals that are silenced by the dogs could overtake them if they had the drive to, but because they don't they become willing to be afraid, and therefore, are. And example of this can be seen directly after Snowball is chased away, where Orwell writes, “Four young porkers in the front row uttered shrill squeals of disapproval, and all four of them sprang to their feet and began speaking at once. But suddenly the dogs sitting around Napoleon let out deep, menacing growls and pigs fell silent and down at once.” The pigs didn't have to remain silent, they could have risked being chased by the dogs, for the sake of Animal Farm.

The lack of education for many of the farm animals is also used by Napoleon to grasp further control over the farm an its inhabitants. One such case would be the “important documents” mentioned frequently, but never seen by anybody but the pigs. There were no documents of that kind, it was simply means of getting the animals who couldn't read to do whatever the pigs asked. As seen when Napoleon said, “I could show you this in his writing, if you were able to read it,” This sentence shows the reader that Napoleon was aware that the other animals would not be able to read it, and that he took advantage of that fact. Another case of Napoleon using lack of education to his advantage is with the seven commandments. Those animals who could read-the pigs and those who were sided with the pigs(isn't that handy?)- were also able to change the commandments at any time a question about them was raised, and the others would believe them as if they had simply “forgotten.” The effectiveness was, and wasn't the animals of the farm's fault. While for some, such as Benjamen-who could read and chose not to- there was something they could do to placate the situation, the other animals possessed no ability to obtain the knowledge required.

Squealers speeches and talent with debate is used to it's full advantage in order to keep the animals in control and to keep them from asking questions. He can convince anyone of anything, which is pointed out early in the story, when he is described. “He [Squealer] was a brilliant talker, and when he was arguing some difficult point he had a way of skipping from side to side and whisking his tail which was somehow very persuasive. The others said of Squealer that he could turn black to white.” Throughout the book Squealer uses his persuasive methods to keep the other animals quiet and convince them that conditions on the farm were indeed improving. Squealer was also used to convince the other animals to go against Snowball with his speeches.

The effectiveness of Napoleon's rule is not a show of his own talents or ability, but others. Napoleon does not create fear, the dogs do. He doesn't force the animals to be uneducated, and he is incapable of Squealers brilliant speeches. Even the idea of a windmill-which actually did the animals no good but to be noticed- was not Napoleon's idea, it was Snowball's. It is not Napoleon that led animal farm, it was the animals willingness to believe, because being controlled was all they knew.

Please don't hesitate to tell me how it really is...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:00 am
Mad says...

I think the introduction needs a bit of work, maybe add a tiny bit more context and

Napoleon, uses a combination of body guards, lack of education on the other animals part, and Squealers speaking skills to both obtain and hold power over the animals of animal farm.

The part about lack of education seems a bit awkwardly phrased.

On the whole it was good, I'm not sure about that first paragraph - It has quite a variety of ideas in it. I think it could possibly be broken up into two.

But yea, I think it's pretty good. I'd cut out that
(isn't that handy)
It's true :P but wouldn't go down well in an essay.
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 am
JC says...

The first paraghraph is because of my stupid english teacher saying "your first paragraph can only be one sentence long-your thesis."

I disagree, but I don't feel like having my grade dropped for that...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

227 Reviews

Reviews: 227
Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:30 am
Mad says...

The first paraghraph is because of my stupid english teacher saying "your first paragraph can only be one sentence long-your thesis."

Ahh okay, then it's perfect :P

That is a pretty stupid thing to do, I've never had an introduction limited to a sentence. Well, keep it like it is then.
Last edited by Mad on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sing we for joy and idleness,
Naught else is worth the having. -- Ezra Pound

PM if you're in need of a review.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:57 am
Royboy says...

I like it. I had to read that stupid book, but I never had to write an essay. I'm sorry for you. lol. Also, the point of a conclusion is to wrap everything up. I'd move the part about snowball and the windmill farther up in the essay because it can't just be introduced in the conclusion. Other than any technical difficulties we might have missed, you should be getting an A on this. =]

You should pity me though. I had to do a research essay instead. *blegh*
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:03 am
Sarahcat210 says...

JCobsesed wrote:The first paraghraph is because of my stupid english teacher saying "your first paragraph can only be one sentence long-your thesis."

I disagree, but I don't feel like having my grade dropped for that...

This is also the way I am being taught. So you aren't the only one. :wink:

I think your essay is pretty good :D

SC
One day, one night, one moment
My dreams could be tomorrow

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:35 am
Writers_Block says...

First of all I L-O-V-E that book! Anywho,

Your essay is pretty good, you did actually the best you could without getting into some VERY sensitive subjects, which I just had to do in Social Studies. I think you might want to put the word communism in there to make it a bit more intimidating, but all in all, very good.
If you believe in Bartemius, put him in your siggy!: @(^_^)@

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind