z

Young Writers Society

Some Musical Aid

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 pm
Dream Deep says...

So this isn't precisely 'Homework Help'. But it's close enough. ^_~ Below, the first page of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor, which I've been working on lately.

--

--

The question is on the third note of the piece, a chord that reappears at the beginning of each of the next four measures.

As you can see, this chord appears to be D - so, according to key signature, D#. Yet the recording I have of this piece has the pianist playing it as a C#. Am I merely reading the music wrong or is there some sort of open rule as applies to interpretation here?

All thoughts, questions and suggestions welcome - and if I am being laughably stupid on this note and missing some painfully obvious detail, feel free to whack me upside the head. ^_~

(EDIT: Ignore the pencil scribbles between the notes... the deep dreamer was trying to keep track of everything. I suppose I should have deleted it before I scanned it in.)

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:59 am
Wiggy says...

Too long for me...:shock: Good luck!

Just my two cents-play it by ear. Whichever sounds better to you, go with it and explain to your teacher your dilemma or why you chose what you did. Besides, musicians are supposed to be creative, and we know you have plenty of that! :D

Love ya!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:42 pm
View Likes
Lilyy03 says...

Be warned that I tend to be sucktastic at reading ledger lines, but from what I can see, it is a C#. The note preceeding it is a G#, and the note in question is a fifth down from the preceeding note. And the upper note in the bass clef is definitely a C#.

I think you might be thinking up instead of down?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

!_!

*takes a second look*

Do you know, Lilyy, I think you're right. Let me look into this - curse it, I was thinking up. *head/desk* Okay, that was embarassing. ^_~ It was a painfully stupid mistake after all? Ach. Bloody ledger lines.

But thank you, sincerely - I didn't look at it close enough, and you're right.

*burns the page*

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites