z

Young Writers Society

Debate: School more important in teaching values than family

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:17 am
View Likes
Squall says...

Hey guys. I'm looking for critques for my debate. It's on the above moot and I desperately seek any help avaliable. Any advice offered here I'll take into careful consideration. Thanks :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Andy Lo and I am the second speaker on our team. Today, I will be talking about what are family values, why they are important, respect and the family in premature years.

In my opinion, schools are not as important in teaching values as family does. A family is a group of people which you belong to, containing members which are related by birth, marriage or adoption. From the moment a child is born, they belong to a family. By today’s standards, they are clothed, fed, and provided accommodation by the parents' until they decide to leave their parent’s accommodation, either by choice or by force. Even after that, they still belong to the family and for the rest of their lives. Unlike school, a family actually cares for one another. Feelings and concerns are also communicated throughout a family. In moments of joy and happiness, the feelings are shared throughout your family. In moments of sadness and peril, family members would try to cheer one another up through discussions and physical signs of affection. For example, it has become a popular tradition to celebrate Christmas with you family. Members of a family would get together, regardless of how far they live and share a feast together. Gifts are exchanged and time is spent together during this holiday. It is the strong trust and physical and emotional intimacy that you share and experience in family that distinguish family from a school, influenced by family values.

What are family values? Family values are a set of moral beliefs. In social and religious perspectives, they are used against the decline of personal moral beliefs in various nations across the world. They are set and passed down from generation to generation by members within a family and are designed to fit the needs of that family. They are not the same. In each family, there is a different set of family values depending on the culture, economy, political beliefs and religion of a family. The values are based around these factors so that they would be influenced to be the best possible person based on the family’s status and the individual’s preference. For example, a Christian family may believe that it is inappropriate to allow gays and gay marriages and many hold a prejudice against gays and gay marriages. This is because it is against their religious belief, influenced by the teachings of God, Jesus and the Bible. However, in a family who believes strongly in human rights, they believe that gays should be treated equally and fairly, just like any other human beings. Their beliefs are influenced on the concept and idea of equal rights for all humans, regardless of race, appearance or beliefs.

In this case, family values are important. It allows family members from their perspectives to be able to distinguish by themselves on what is right and what is wrong. This allows people to believe in what they want to believe in. It also allows people to make their own choices in life and strive to fulfil their goals and ambitions. Schools, however only teaches values which allows students to succeed in their academic learning and to cooperate with other students and the staff within the institute. This means the values taught at school are really a “one size fits all.” They are broader than family values that they are almost pointless. Also, the time that you belong to a school is only a fraction of your life. Once you leave school, the school will not care about you. The family, however, will continue to care and support you even after your schooling. It is the values taught within a family that will influence your character in life, not the ones taught in school As the 1st speaker, Holly said: Family is for life. School is temporary phase. You don’t only need values age 5-18. An example would be Thomas Edison. Thomas Edison was an American inventor and businessman. He developed many devices which played a great influence in the lifestyle of the 20th Century. He invented such things as the light bulb and the telegraph. However, Thomas Edison was not very successful at school. He had a late start in schooling. He was underestimated and insulted by the teachers and he lacked the ability to concentrate in school. This ended Edison’s three months of formal schooling. His mother willingly took over the job of schooling her son, despite the school giving up all hope on Thomas Edison. Her mother encouraged and taught Thomas to read and experiment. By the age of twelve, he was partially deaf, yet he did not give up on life. It was the teachings and values of his mother that Thomas became the successful and famous inventor that he was in the majority of his life. Thomas Edison quoted “My mother was the making of me. She was so true, so sure of me: and I felt I had something to live for, someone I must not disappoint.” This showed that Thomas’s work was greatly influenced by the values taught by his mother’s righteous teachings. If it wasn’t for his mother, it would be most likely that he would not have become that character in life. This also showed that Thomas had chosen to respect his mother.

Respect is to show consideration or regard to a particular person or a group of people. Respect can be shown by a person if they possess the value to. Often, respect is mistaken for a synonym for politeness or manners. Instead, these are behaviours that show respect. Respect is an attitude that someone has the choice to show or not. In a family, you have the choice to choose who to respect. You can choose to not like your father, your mother, your brothers or sisters or even your grandparents, yet it is likely that you will still remain a part of the family and that your family will still look after you. If a person does disrespect their family to a certain extent, he/she could grow up with no sense of value. They could grow up lonely and turn into a criminal. Regardless of the consequences, it is their own choice that they choose to disrespect their parents. In school, however, you have to respect them no matter what. This is because in order to accomplish the purpose of a school, respect needs to be shown by students and staff so that the school provides a pleasant academic learning environment. Also, a person is forced to show respect to their friends whenever they are at school. A person’s friends are treated like any other student by the school. This is so that their learning will not be disrupted and hence that the school follows their requirement of providing a safe and pleasant learning environment. The school is not obliged to provide friends for a person. Friendships made in the school are a privilege, not a right. Take this as an example. If a person does disrespect a member of the school, they are placed under disciplinary action by the school. Repeated offences could lead to being expelled, which is considered to be the worst case scenario if a person decides to disrespect members within a school. If a person does get expelled, they are not doomed. They can still learn values from their family and can still be prevented from becoming a delinquent in life and in the society. If a person gets expelled from a family due to disrespect, who is going to teach them values so that they will have a successful life? For starters, the school can’t help, because that person does not even have parents to make him/her able to apply for a school, or more to the point, any school available. Of course, a person could not even possibly be prepared for school if they are not looked after during their premature years.

Family in premature years is very important. What a person experiences from birth up to the age of 7 plays an enormously big influence on the mental development of the child. During this time, a person’s mind is the most active. They will attempt to copy and learn from their parent’s actions and voices. From babyhood, a person learns how to walk and learns how to eat solid foods. In early childhood, a person learns how to use the toilet and how to talk in their mother tongue. Lastly, during late childhood, they learn how to get along with peers and developing skills in reading, writing and calculating. This is not possible if they are not taught and influenced by their parents. How would they be able to move around the school if they not taught by their parents? How would they know where is the appropriate place to go toilet? How would they eat food? How are they going to get along with the other students in the school? If they do not learn these abilities by 7 from their parents, then it would prove difficult for a child to catch up. Erik Erikson was a famous psychoanalyst who specialized on the psychosocial stages of development. His works on childhood adolescence and adult life became a great influence from the 1960’s onwards. According to Erikson’s psychosocial theory, he believes that the psychological behaviour and development of a person varies from 8 different stages in life. He uses a rope as a metaphor to describe the development of a person. How strong that rope is depends on how a person confronts each of the 8 different stages in life. In his theory, he uses an infant as an example, where if the child did not received predictable nourishment from parents and did not experience feelings of safety and warmth would not develop a strong sense of trust in the world. If the infant did not trust anyone, he or she could not progress onward to the next stage. It is through a person’s parents that a child progresses through school and the other stages in life.

In conclusion, family values are a set of moral beliefs set by family members influenced by the culture, economy, political beliefs and religious beliefs of a family. They are important because it helps members in a family can distinguish on what is right on what is wrong in the world and in life based on the factors. In a family, you can choose who to respect, because a family cares and supports for one another. However, you are forced to respect the members in a school because it helps the school in providing a safe and effective place for people to learn. Family in premature years is also important for the development of a child. Without nourishment and guidance from the parents, a child would not have been able to make it into school and throughout life.

Next up from our team, we have Ruri, the 3rd speaker who shall talk about the values taught in school and why they are so general that they not as important as family values.
Last edited by Squall on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:16 am
View Likes
Jennafina says...

In my opinion, I believe

These mean essentially the same thing. You don't need both.

By today’s standards, they are clothed, fed, and provided accommodation by the parents until they decide to leave their parent’s accommodation, either by choice or by force.

Should be parents', since you're talking about both of them.

This is not possible, if it isn’t for family values.

I don't understand this sentence.

For example, a Christian family will believe that it is inappropriate to allow gays and gay marriages and many hold a prejudice against gays and gay marriages.

I'd change 'a Christian family will believe' to 'a Christian family may believe'. Will implies that all Christian families don't believe in gay marriages, when I know that's not true.

However, in a family who believes strongly on human rights,

In instead of On.

Family in premature years is very important. What a person experiences from birth up to the age of 7 plays an enormously big influence on the mental development of the child.

I know it doesn't matter because you'll be reading this out loud, but try to spell out numbers under twenty. So it would be seven.

If the infant did not trust anyone, he/she could not progress onward to the next stage.

I'd just write out 'he or she'. It's easier to read.

This won't look so scarily long if you give it more paragraphs. Even though you're reading this out loud, it would be easier for people to critique it if there were more. I lost my place about ten times, lol.

About the subject matter, what you said is true if the child has a loving, supportive family. That isn't always the case, though. I think maybe you should mention that, or something like that. School could help a child who didn't have a family learn life values.

Thanks for posting, I hope this was helpful. :) Good luck in your debate!

-Jenna
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:01 am
Squall says...

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Andy Lo and I am the second speaker on our team. Today, I will be talking about what are family values, why they are important, respect and the family in premature years.

In my opinion, schools are not as important in teaching values as family does. A family is a group of people which you belong to, containing members which are related by birth, marriage or adoption. From the moment a child is born, they belong to a family. By today’s standards, they are clothed, fed, and provided accommodation by the parents' until they decide to leave their parent’s accommodation, either by choice or by force. Even after that, they still belong to the family and for the rest of their lives. Unlike school, a family actually cares for one another. Feelings and concerns are also communicated throughout a family. This is influenced by family values.

What are family values? Family values are a set of moral beliefs. In social and religious perspectives, they are used against the decline of personal moral beliefs in various nations across the world. They are set and passed down from generation to generation by members within a family and are designed to fit the needs of that family. They are not the same. In each family, there is a different set of family values depending on the culture, economy, political beliefs and religion of a family. The values are based around these factors so that they would be influenced to be the best possible person based on the family’s status and the individual’s preference. For example, a Christian family may believe that it is inappropriate to allow gays and gay marriages and many hold a prejudice against gays and gay marriages. However, in a family who believes strongly in human rights, they believe that gays should be treated equally and fairly, just like any other human beings. Their beliefs are influenced on the concept and idea of equal rights for all humans, regardless of race, appearance or beliefs.

In this case, family values are important. It allows family members from their perspectives to be able to distinguish by themselves on what is right and what is wrong. This allows people to believe in what they want to believe in. It also allows people to make their own choices in life and strive to fulfill their goals and ambitions. Schools, however only teaches values which allows students to succeed in their academic learning and to cooperate with other students and the staff within the institute. It is the values taught within a family that will influence your character in life, not the ones taught in school. As the 1st speaker, Holly said: Family is for life. An example would be Thomas Edison. Thomas Edison was a famous American inventor and businessman However, Thomas Edison was not very successful at school. He was underestimated and insulted by the teachers and hence it ended Edison’s three months of formal schooling. His mother willingly took over the job of schooling her son. Her mother encouraged and taught Thomas to read and experiment. It was the teachings and values of his mother that Thomas became the successful and famous inventor that he was in the majority of his life. Thomas Edison quoted “My mother was the making of me. She was so true, so sure of me: and I felt I had something to live for, someone I must not disappoint.” This showed that Thomas had chosen to respect his mother.

Respect is to show consideration or regard to a particular person or a group of people. Respect can be shown by a person if they possess the value to. Respect is an attitude that someone has the choice to show or not. In a family, you have the choice to choose who to respect. You can choose to not like your father, your mother, your brothers or sisters or even your grandparents, yet it is likely that you will still remain a part of the family and that your family will still look after you. If a person does disrespect their family to a certain extent, he or she could grow up with no sense of value. They could grow up lonely and turn into a criminal. Regardless of the consequences, it is their own choice that they choose to disrespect their parents. In school, however, you have to respect them no matter what. Also, a person is forced to show respect to their friends whenever they are at school. A person’s friends are treated like any other student by the school. This is so that their learning will not be disrupted and hence that the school follows their requirement of providing a safe and pleasant learning environment. The school is not obliged to provide friends for a person. Friendships made in the school are a privilege, not a right. Take this as an example. If a person does disrespect a member of the school, they are placed under disciplinary action by the school. Repeated offences could lead to being expelled, which is considered to be the worst case scenario if a person decides to disrespect members within a school. If a person does get expelled, they are not doomed. They can still learn values from their family and can still be prevented from becoming a delinquent in life and in the society. If a person gets expelled from a family due to disrespect, who is going to teach them values so that they will have a successful life? For starters, the school can’t help, because that person does not even have parents to make him/her able to apply for a school, or more to the point, any school available. Of course, a person could not even possibly be prepared for school if they are not looked after during their premature years.

Family in premature years is very important. What a person experiences from birth up to the age of 7 plays an enormously big influence on the mental development of the child. During this time, a person’s mind is the most active. They will attempt to copy and learn from their parent’s actions and voices. From babyhood, a person learns how to walk and learns how to eat solid foods. In early childhood, a person learns how to use the toilet and how to talk in their mother tongue. Lastly, during late childhood, they learn how to get along with peers and developing skills in reading, writing and calculating. How would they be able to move around the school if they not taught by their parents? How would they know where is the appropriate place to go toilet? How would they eat food? How are they going to get along with the other students in the school? Erik Erikson was a famous psychoanalyst who specialized on the psychosocial stages of development. According to Erikson’s psychosocial theory, he believes that the psychological behaviour and development of a person varies from 8 different stages in life. He uses a rope as a metaphor to describe the development of a person. How strong that rope is depends on how a person confronts each of the 8 different stages in life. In his theory, he uses an infant as an example, where if the child did not received predictable nourishment from parents and did not experience feelings of safety and warmth would not develop a strong sense of trust in the world. If the infant did not trust anyone, he or she could not progress onward to the next stage. It is through a person’s parents that a child progresses through school and the other stages in life.

In conclusion, family values are a set of moral beliefs set by family members influenced by the culture, economy, political beliefs and religious beliefs of a family. They are important because it helps members in a family can distinguish on what is right on what is wrong in the world and in life based on the factors. In a family, you can choose who to respect, because a family cares and supports for one another. However, you are forced to respect the members in a school because it helps the school in providing a safe and effective place for people to learn. Family in premature years is also important for the development of a child. Without nourishment and guidance from the parents, a child would not have been able to make it into school and throughout life.

Next up from our team, we have Ruri, the 3rd speaker who shall talk about the values taught in school and why they are so general that they not as important as family values.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shortened version of the essay for my debate.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:43 am
Riedawriter23 says...

I loved it Andy! I agree on your side as well so that helps. lol:)
Here is my version at 1478 words:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Andy Lo and I am the second speaker on our team. Today, I will be talking about the meaning of family values, why they're important, and family respect that plays an important part in premature years.

In my opinion, schools are not as important as families are when it comes to teachings and values. A family is a group of people that one belongs to. It contains members in which are related by birth, marriage, or adoption. From the moment a child is born, they belong to this family. They are clothed, fed, and provided accommodated by the parents until they decide to leave this accommodation.

Even after that, they belong to this family for the rest of their lives. School cannot provide this same comfort as a family does. They actually care for one another. Feelings and concerns are often communicated and in moments of joy and happiness, feelings are shared. In moments of sadness and peril, family members try to cheer one another up through discussions and physical signs of affection. This being something that school could never fully replace.

Families celebrate holidays together, share feasts regardless of how inconvenient the timing or distance. Gifts are exchanged and time is spent together. It is the strong trust along with both physical and emotional intimacy that you share and experience in a family that will distinguish it from school. Even the clear line that splits these too subjects wouldn’t be visible if not for family values.

Family values are a set of moral beliefs. They are set and passed down from generation to generation by members within a family, and are designed to fit the needs of that certain living environment. They also have a tendency to vary. In each family, there is a different set of family values depending often on culture, political beliefs, and religion. The values are based around these factors so that they influence the best possible person based on the family’s status and the individual’s preference. For example, a Christian family will believe that it is inappropriate to allow gays and gay marriages, many holding a strong prejudice against both subjects. This is because it is against their beliefs, influenced by the teachings of God, Jesus and the Bible. However, in a family who believes strongly on human rights, it could be said that they believe gays should be treated equally and fairly, just like any other human being. Their beliefs are influenced on the concept and idea of equal rights for all humans, regardless of race, appearance or beliefs. Most of these subjects aren’t even allowed to be discussed in some schools.

In this case, family values are important. It allows family members to distinguish what is right and what is wrong. This allows people to believe in what they want to believe. It allows people to make their own choices in life and strive to fulfill their goals and ambitions. Schools, however only teach values that allow students to succeed in their academic learning and to cooperate with other students and the staff within the institute. This means the values taught at school are really a “one size fits all”. They are so much more broad compared to family values that they are almost pointless. Also, the time that you belong to a school is only a fraction of your life. Once you leave school, the school will not care about you. The family, however, will continue to care and support you even after your schooling. It is the values taught within a family that will influence your character in life, not the ones taught in school. As the 1st speaker, Holly said: Family is for life. School is a temporary phase. You don’t only need values age 5-18. With help from family values, one also learns respect.

Respect is a show of consideration or regard to a particular person or a group of people. Respect is also something that one can choose to do. Often, respect is mistaken for a synonym for politeness or manners. Instead, these are behaviours that show respect. Respect is an attitude that someone has the choice to show or not. In a family, you get to choose who to respect. You can choose to not like your father, your mother, your brothers or sisters or your grandparents, yet it is likely that you will still remain a part of the family. If a person disrespects their family to a certain extent, he/she could grow up with no sense of value. Regardless of the consequences, it is their own choice to disrespect their parents. In school, however, you have no choice of who to respect. This is because, in order to accomplish the purpose of a school respect needs to be shown by students and staff to provides a pleasant academic learning environment. It is also mandatory that a person’s friends are treated like any other student at school. Friends made at school are privileges, not rights. Take this as an example. If a person does disrespect a member of the school, they are placed under disciplinary action. Repeated offences could lead to being expelled, which is considered to be the worse case scenario for showing your opinion. If a person does get expelled, they are not doomed. They can still learn values from their family and can still be prevented from becoming a delinquent in life and in the society. If a person gets expelled from a family due to disrespect, who is going to teach them values so that they will have a successful life? The school couldn’t help to replace that affection. Of course, a person could not even possibly be prepared for school if they are not looked after during their premature years.

Family in premature years is very important. What a person experiences from birth up to the age of 7 plays a big influence on the mental development of the child. During this time, a person’s mind is the most active. They will attempt to copy and learn from their parent’s actions and voices. From babyhood, a person learns how to walk and eat solid foods. In early childhood, a person learns how to use the toilet and how to talk in their mother tongue. Lastly, during late childhood, they learn how to get along with peers and develop skills in reading, writing and calculating. This is not possible if they are not taught and influenced by their parents. How would they be able to move around the school if they weren’t taught how to walk by their parents? How would they eat food? How are they going to get along with the other students in the school? If they do not learn these abilities by 7 from their parents, then it would prove difficult for a child to catch up.

Erik Erikson was a famous psychoanalyst who specialized on the psychosocial stages of development. His works on childhood adolescence and adult life became a great influence from the 1960’s onwards. According to Erikson’s psychosocial theory, he believes that the psychological behaviour and development of a person varies from 8 different stages in life. He uses a rope as a metaphor to describe the development of a person by concluding that the strength of the rope depends on how a person confronts each of the 8 different stages in life. In his theory, he uses an infant as an example, where if the child did not receive predictable nourishment from parents and did not experience feelings of safety and warmth they would not develop a strong sense of trust in the world. If the infant did not trust anyone, he/she could not progress onward to the next stage. It is through a person’s parents that a child progresses through school and the other stages in life.

In conclusion, family values are a set of moral beliefs set by family members influenced by the culture, economy, political beliefs and religious beliefs of a family. They are important because it helps members in a family distinguish what is right and what is wrong in the world and in life based on the factors. In a family, you can choose whom to respect, because a family cares and supports one another. However, you are forced to respect the members in a school because it helps the school in providing a safe and effective place for people to learn. Family in premature years is also important for the development of a child. Without nourishment and guidance from the parents, a child would not have been able to make it into school and throughout life.

Next up from our team, we have Ruri, the 3rd speaker who shall talk about the values taught in school and why they’re generalness makes them less important than family values.

--------------------------------------------------------

There you go Almighty one. Hope you do great and feel better! Get some rest!

~Rieda
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:49 am
chocolatechipmuffin says...

Okies, it's so long, it's scaring me, so I'll read it as I go. Ready? Okay! [/ditzy cheerleader impersonation]
red=spelling correction
green=grammar correction
blue=revision
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Andy Lo and I am the second speaker on our team.

No offense, but that has got to be the most boring introduction I have ever read. It kind of scared me away from the rest. And, honestly, if these people are watching a debate, they know you're the second speaker. They can count to two. You could say that you are supporting the _______ side, etc., but "I am the second speaker" makes it seem like you don't think the judges can count to two. And if it wouldn't be considered rude (I don't know who's judging, make a wise choice) try a more informal greeting. If kids are judging, go for "Yo, whassup," rather than "Good afternoon." If teachers are judging, stick with the formal greeting.

Today, I will be talking about what are family values, why they are important, respect, and the family in premature years.

The way you've framed that first green bit, it sounds like a question. You need to do something more along the lines of "what family values are."
You need to have a comma after "respect," because it is part of a list.

In my opinion, schools are not as important in teaching values as family does.

This should be "is," you are describing what the family is, not what the family does.

A family is a group of people which you belong to, containing members which are related by birth, marriage or adoption.

Should be "who," because you are describing people.

By today’s standards, they are clothed, fed, and provided accommodation by the parents' until they decide to leave their parent’s accommodation, either by choice or by force.

Why is there an apostrophe here (the first green)? "Parents' " is the possesive form of "parents." You have made the most commonly made grammatical error, and I'm afraid that my grammar SS men are going to have to take you to prison now. TAKE OUT THE APOSTROPHE!!! *aims machine guns threateningly*
(the second green part) I can't tell what you aactually wrote here, my computer's being mean. So, just in case you got it wrong, it should be "parents' "

Even after that, they still belong to the family and for the rest of their lives.

Should be "and they will for..."

In moments of joy and happiness, the feelings are shared throughout your family.

Before, you were being impersonal, using "a" and "the." Now, bringing in "you" is wrong. You're switching POVs. Not good. Pick one POV and stick to it. I'd recommend you stick with impersonal, it sounds more proffessional.

Members of a family would get together, regardless of how far they live and share a feast together.

Should be "...far apart they..."

What are family values? Family values are a set of moral beliefs.

The question-and-answer introduction is something I've never liked. It sometimes gives you a little pizzaz, but it always reminds me of poorly-written sixth-grade paragraphs. If you can assume a deeply philosophical attitude while doing this, it's okay. Ish. But while you're saying it, you CANNOT look down at your paper. And, if you're going to use it, can you at least not restate the question in your answer? Just rephrase that second sentence and the question-and-answer thing will be acceptable.

In social and religious perspectives, they are used against the decline of personal moral beliefs in various nations across the world.

You need to find another way to say that, it was confusing. Really confusing. Try not to use the same words so much. Oh, wait, you didn't. Oh, well. It's late, I'm tired...I need to read simpler stuff, but I started this, I have to finish it. *deep breath* Going on...

It allows family members from their perspectives to be able to distinguish by themselves on what is right and what is wrong.

BEEPBEEPBEEP. Grammar crime number two! *brings in tanks. You'd best be careful, missy, the Grammar Nazi is watching..."It" is a singular pronoun. The subject "family values" is PLURAL!!! Use "they." *stiches red triangle onto Squallz's clothes*

Schools, however only teaches values which allows students to succeed in their academic learning and to cooperate with other students and the staff within the institute.

*drags Squallz off to grammar prison camp* VALUES is a PLURAL subject, so use the PLURAL form of the verb!!!!!!! ALLOW!!!! No S!!!
I'm pretty sure this should be "institution"
I know it's the central point of your argument, but would you mind saying the word "family" alittle less? If you could find a way to do that without destroying your paper, it'd be great.

This means the values taught at school are really a “one size fits all.

Should be one-size-fits-all, I believe.

They are broader than family values that they are almost pointless.

This sentence makes no sense, it should be something like "They are so much broader than family values that they are almost pointless."

As the 1st speaker, Holly said: Family is for life.

Numbers are not good outside of math and science. Try to use other words, like "my predesessor" (which I most likely spelled wrong), or leave out the modifier and just put Holly, maybe gesture at her (actually you should gesture at her anyway, you should be gesturing the whole time, albeit gently. It distracts people from any nervous movement you may be making.)

School is temporary phase.

SHould be "School is a temporary phase."

You don’t only need values age 5-18.

Should be "You don't only need values from ages 5-18."

His mother willingly took over the job of schooling her son, despite the school giving up all hope on Thomas Edison.

You've already stated his first name, now it's okay to use just his last name, it sounds much better, and it's less repetitive.

It was the teachings and values of his mother that Thomas became the successful and famous inventor that he was in the majority of his life.

Should be something like "It was the teachings and values of his mother that made Edison the successful and famous inventor that he was for the majority of his life," or "It was through the teachings and values..." Either way, use Edison, not Thomas. Several million THomases have walked this planet, comparatively few Edisons have made their mark in history.

Thomas Edison quoted

To quote is to say what someone else has already said. Ise a verb that means to say something. For instance, said, stated, etc.

This showed that Thomas’s work was greatly influenced by the values taught by his mother’s righteous teachings.

Just cut that out. It's awkward.

If it wasn’t for his mother,

Should be "If it weren't," I believe it has something to do with the subjunctive tense, not sure...that's what it's called in Spanish...anyway, I know that's the word you should use there.

In school, however, you have to respect them no matter what.

You can't have a pronoun without an antecedent. That is, you have to specify the subject before you can replace it with "them." You can't say "The Man," without saying who the Man is. Sorry.

From babyhood, a person learns how to walk and learns how to eat solid foods.

Change that to "infancy," it sounds better.

According to Erikson’s psychosocial theory, he believes that the psychological behaviour and development of a person varies from 8 different stages in life.

Lemme get this straight: Erikson has a theory about what he believes? Most people know what they believe, they don't need to theorize. Cut out that "he beleives."

That's all I've got time for, sorry!
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare