z

Young Writers Society

Calculus

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:14 am
View Likes
order says...

Can someone please give me some help with comparitve differentiation, as in differentiation with shapes?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:18 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Sample problem, please?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:22 am
Incandescence says...

order,

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. There are Frechet derivatives and Fredholm operators, but these are concepts from functional analysis and are probably beyond the call of what you're looking for.

In my study of mathematics, I've never encountered "comparative differentiation," or differentiation with shapes. An Euclidean derivative (the ones encountered in calculus I-III) is a measure of the rate of change of a curve. Even at the level of vector calculus, you are still studying rates of change though now you are doing so in three dimensions.

As Snoink asked: Could you give us an example problem?

Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:35 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

yeah, examples, please? I'll be needed help in calc soon enough, and the more on the bandwagon, the merrier.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky