z

Young Writers Society

The Great Depression

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:00 pm
afamiliarsmile says...

I have to write a historical fiction story about the Great Depression for Wed. and I have no idea where to start. I've got all the research done and I have my characters, I'm just not sure how to tie it together. Any ideas or thoughts?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:20 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

Have you read Of Mice And Men? I think it was set during the Great Depression.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:10 pm
Via says...

Just start it out like you would any story, I suppose. But...is the family rich or poor? There were the those rich people during the depression, so I guess how you start would have to begin with how your characters are in your mind.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:33 pm
McMourning says...

Hello!
When I start writing an essay or story for school, I usually try to find a quote about that subject.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt wrote:When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
My story might begin something like this:

I definitely feel like I'm hanging on to the very end of something, not necessarily a rope. My world, my family, is losing everything. It seems that all we have left is each other. We don't even have decent meals anymore; the soup kitchen provides for us and many others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, of course that's not the best beginning, but I'm just trying to use it as an example of what you could do for this assignment.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 am
Meep says...

I'm not in love with your opening line. It seems like an info dump. (The quote, however, is very nice.)

Although it's not perfect, I'd recommend at least reading the Wikipedia entry on the Great Depression to get an idea of what's going on at the time, and if you have time, skim through American Girl Kit's books. It'll be quickier, more lighthearted reading than Of Mice and Men, but they're pretty good about being historically accruate.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:00 pm
afamiliarsmile says...

Ha, My teacher has forbidden the use of wikipedia because she has something against it for some reason.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:13 pm
Meep says...

A lot of teachers have something against Wikipedia. [s]Fight the man, use it anyway.[/s] People think it can't be trusted 'cause, oh noes, the masses can edit it. Tch, 'cause the masses clearly don't know anything. </Godless commie>

In that case ... try this site. It's .edu, lets see your teacher argue with that. (*.edu sites are generally regarded as trustable sources, because only colleges can have them.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:38 pm
Fishr says...

Several of my family members went through the GD. Being the nerd that I am, I've asked about it often. My grandmother has been through it, I think more than on one occasion.

Is there a specific question you need answering about the period?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

attempting foot extraction
— Mea