z

Young Writers Society

Romeo and Juliet?!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:07 pm
afamiliarsmile says...

For a theatre assignment, I have to rewrite the balcony scene. I am completely stumped. I want it to be different and funny but I just need some ideas to maybe help me get started...your help will be greatly appreciated :)

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:34 pm
Meep says...

When I read Romeo & Juliet the first time, I was secretly wishing she'd fall off the balcony. It would be somewhat amusing, especially if Romeo caught her. Then at least you could keep with the romantic vibe, but with the addiction of slapstick comedy.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 pm
View Likes
afamiliarsmile says...

Haha, thanks! That would be hilarious :)
"...and in that moment, I swear we were infinite."- Perks of Being a Wallflower

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:50 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Or if he tried to catch her, but Juliet was too over weight and fell out of his arms. That'd also be funny, while still staying ever so slightly romantic.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 am
View Likes
Meep says...

Expanding on Claudette's suggestion, I would like the play 100x more if Juliet were overweight and uncomfortable with her body until Romeo made her feel beautiful (and they found a more productive way to get around their stupid parents than offing themselves).
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:12 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Testing!

(For the record, her falling him missing would be hilarious.. but wouldn't really keep the romantic vibe)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:10 am
Wiggy says...

Oh please make her fall off the balcony! Please! That would be sooooo funny!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Reviews: 2
Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:17 am
View Likes
dittylicious says...

I think the falling is a really great idea...but in order to keep with the romantic vibe it wouldn't work...

...of course, it's always fun to have people talk in uber-modern slang as well. That will always get laughs, but it's probably what some other people in class will do, too.

Isn't Romeo hiding in the balcony scene at first? What if he's like painfully obvious when he's trying to hide?

I don't know, I am tired and it's late and my allergies are killing me, that's all I got! haha
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 am
View Likes
chocolatechipmuffin says...

You know, I have always secretly kind of hated that play. Because, honestly, dying really doesn't send out a romantic vibe for me.
You could try...oh! He's actually only there so he can play a prank on her..maybe so he can TP her house (because...they magically had toilet paper back then...), and then he hears her reading a poem/singing a song/something else romantic, and he falls in love. Also, would you mind making Juliet older? Originally she was fourteen, and Romeo was...twenty-ish. EW!!!! You don't get married when you're fourteen (now).
You could do that, and make it modern-day, stick them in high school, and she's the beautiful, but nerdy/freakish/outcast person, and he's...cool. And instead of their families hating each other, their friends hate each other. And Juliet secretly likes him, but thinks she has no chance. and she doesn't, until he comes to TP her house, and she does something romantic, while he's listening! Yay! And if you get to rewrite anything else, THEY DON'T DIE. PLEASE. :D
Will you post whatever you come up with? I want to read it now...
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway