z

Young Writers Society

Here's one you YWSers will love: Find me some poetry!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:50 pm
View Likes
Cade says...

For my Creative Writing class, I have to paste 10 poems in my journal and respond to each one. I'm wondering if you guys have any favorite works you think I should read and write about in this journal. Obviously, no stuff from on here, it has to be published and legit and all.

I don't want:
-Poetry that is very difficult to interpret/understand without sounding like an idiot.
-Really long poems. Use your common sense. It's a regular composition notebook and I don't want to fill up more than two pages pasting a poem in.
-Highly experimental stuff.

Links would be appreciated! I have to hand this in on February 16th.
Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 pm
sabradan says...

"Tourists" by Yehuda Amichai
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:50 am
Meshugenah says...

Robert Frost! Fire and Ice is awesome.. The Road Less Traveled, I think is the other one I'm thinking of by Frost.

Annable Lee -- Poe! That's a good one, but a bit long. Actually, almost anything Poe.

Tennyson is good, too.

Want something completely differeny? Casey at the Bat (don't remember who wrote it) baseball poem! From a huge baseball nut. What else, what else... I can think of more, if you want!

And Shakespeare! Gah, can't forget the Bard, can we? Just do a search for Spakeaspeare and sonnets -- you'll get tons. Pick and choose!

A friend loves Sylvia Path... only read one or two of her poems, but what I've read was awesome.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:55 am
sabradan says...

Casey at the bat is a great poem!

What kind of poetry are you looking for? That will enable me to help you better. (i.e. time periods, subject matter, the like)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 am
LowKey says...

[url]www.shadowpoetry.com[/url] has some good ones.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm
Myth says...

cadmium wrote:I don't want:
-Poetry that is very difficult to interpret/understand without sounding like an idiot.
-Really long poems. Use your common sense. It's a regular composition notebook and I don't want to fill up more than two pages pasting a poem in.
-Highly experimental stuff.

I was going to suggest Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky, it is fun to read especially the strange words. I always loved the words Bandersnatch and manxome.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

758 Reviews

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:51 pm
Cade says...

Oh, Lewis Carroll.
I'm not looking for any specific type, I just don't really want to see old stuff that's super-long and hard to just read. As in, no Paradise Lost.

Thanks, all!
Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 am
Chandni says...

http://www.rosabelleilles.com/preview4.htm

Might want to look, highly enjoyable :)

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:33 am
Trident says...

The History Teacher by Billy Collins

Don't have a link, sorry.
Perception is everything.

758 Reviews

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:58 am
Cade says...

*hugs Trident* I love Billy Collins. I do believe I've read that one. 'Tis good.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:17 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Shel Silverstein has some good/funny poems. I liked one of his poems called "Homemade Boat".

Um...I don't know what else is out there besides what has already been said, since I don't really read poetry.

Oh I know, how about the Odyssey? *Is joking* That would take for ever to paste or copy in a journal/notebook.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 pm
chocolatechipmuffin says...

I love Robert Frost, he would be great...try "On Going Unnoticed," it's a study of the grandeur of the forest, and man's place in the world. Also, William Blake, who's kind of old, but wrote simplistic poems, mostly about nature. I like his Introduction to Songs of Innocence, and "The Tyger" and "The Lamb"
Quote from Blake's Introduction to Songs of Innocence:
"Piper sit thee down and write
in a book that all may read-
So he vanish'd from my sight.
And I pluck'd a hollow reed.

And I made a rural pen,
And I stain'd the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs,
Every child may joy to hear."
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:19 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Some of Emily Dickenson's work isn't that bad (I think that's how you spell her last name). I like Longfellow's work, though that might be too long.....
ohmeohmy

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 am
Aet Lindling says...

Yes, that is indeed how you spell her name.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:40 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

There's this one poem I vaguely remember. I think it's called "Auntie's Skirts"? Anyway, I seem to remember that it was only like five lines long...but it was a while ago...
ohmeohmy

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo