z

Young Writers Society

Questions about Punctuation?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:38 pm
Emerson says...

So, I'm writing my essay. And I never know what kind of dashes are supposed to be in numbers. How would you punctuation this sentence?

At the time of their meeting, Wilde was thirty eight years old, and Douglas was only twenty two years old.

I know there is a certain way to do numbers, like you spell them up to 10 or something but I don't....know the exact rules.

Here's another one I can't figure out.

In Queensberry’s many attempts to hurt their relationship, he left his card at a club, and on the back wrote: “For Oscar Wilde, posing as a somdomite[sic]” (Linder).

Since its writing, do I put it in quotes? Should I use the colon? If I use the colon, do I even need the quotes? I'm so grammar stupid.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:57 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

I would write out numbers properly what ever they are.

I would be tempted to put yours in italics, just to clarify it is something not your own. Although I dont think it really matters.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

2058 Reviews

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:01 pm
Emerson says...

I got the first part, thanks! but isn't there some funky way to punctuate numbers, with dashes and stuff? Or was I dreaming?

I would be tempted to put yours in italics, just to clarify it is something not your own. Although I dont think it really matters.
What?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:15 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Numbers - Not that I know of

What? - Id put

"For Oscar Wilde, posing as a somdomite[sic]"

Into italics (minus quotes). But the quotes can be left if you do not use italics. Thats what Id do whether its right or wrong lol.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:38 pm
Firestarter says...

With ages, you should use hyphens:

John was twenty-two years old.

Harriet is forty-two.

Because they are compound numbers, or something exciting like that.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

2058 Reviews

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:55 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

See, I knew there was some crazy something behind numbers and punctuation....

Thanks Backo Scocko!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:16 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

When you spell the numbers 21-99 out, use hyphens (twenty-one; ninety-nine).

That's all I can think of for now! Oh, and also (if you're using really big numbers), please use them in number form! Who wants to read 845,345,789 in words? :P
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green