z

Young Writers Society

And... More Calc

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:28 pm
Dream Deep says...

Clearly, this subject should be obliterated.

Oy, here it is.

In this problem, find both the net distance and the total distance traveled between times t=a and t=b by a particle moving along a line with the given velocity finction v=f(t)

v = t^2 - t - 2; a = 0, b = 3

It looks so simple, too, that's what's killing me.
--

Help. Me. Please. *head/desk*

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:06 pm
Incandescence says...

Dream Deep:

I posted this in chat, but I'll repost. You should know the order of physics.

Acceleration=D(Velocity)/Dt
Velocity=D(Displacement)/Dt

Obviously, Displacement=Int(Velocity,a->b).

Which physically makes sense, if you care to think about it.

Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:16 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

All right, this is a little weird, but it works out.

The first thing I did was graph it. This looks like a shallow parabola, it actually crosses the t-axis at t=2.

So, what does this tell us?

This tells us that from 0<=t<=2, the velocity is negative, but when t>2, the velocity is positive.

What net distance means in this case is how far the particle has traveled forward, where the total distance is how much the particle has traveled period.

I know that the area under the velocity curve is equal to the distance traveled. This means that if I integrate, I'll get my answer.

So, to get the total net, this is what we do. We integrate from t=0 to t=2, and that should give us the negative distance. Then, we integrate from t=2 to t=3 to find the positive distance.

To find the total distance, add the positive distance with the absolute value of the negative distance. To find the net distance add the positive and negative distances together.

After integration, I find that the net distance is -1.5, and that the total distance was 5.16667.

To check our answer, let's take a look at the graph to see if it makes sense. Since the majority of the velocity curve is under the t-axis, (from 0 to 2) it's a sure bet that our answer is going to be negative. The positive velocity does kick in, but it doesn't have enough time to move forward.

Our answer seems to support the behavior we see on the graph.

So, where would this be useful knowledge?

It is useful for tracking the movement of an object through space, such as an artillery shell. You would want to know the total distance it travels over time, not just the vertical or horizantal distance.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:37 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

This looks like a Differentiation Question

http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pages.php?page=9

Although Im only doing Advanced Maths Core 1 ( Im started Core 2 soon so I may be better informed then)
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:18 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Phorcys, you're right in that we could use a graph and this information to figure out the change of the velocity over time.

In this case though, the question doesn't call for it. They want to figure out the distance covered, this is represented by the space between the curve and the t-axis.

If we took the derivative of this function we would simply create a new function, that is

f'(t)=a.

Where a stands for acceleration, which is the derivative of velocity.

Incidently, f'(t)=2t-1.

This is useful for finding out how the velocity changes over time, but not so useful for figuring out the distance the particle travels.

It's easier to take the integral of f(t) from a to b.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:05 pm
Swires says...

Oh right, I see now, I was getting confused with rates of change but this is actually something different. We are covering Integration in a few weeks.

!!! - My Maths exam in on Tuesday btw, mostly on graph work and differentiation.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues