z

Young Writers Society

Song help!

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:37 pm
xlilxzox says...

for english iv gotta write a song or rap about me and my life, and i have no idea what to do! i am pathetic at writing songs/raps! i really dont know what to do! give me a poem to write anyday, but songs, i cant do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :? :(

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:29 pm
Snoink says...

Pretend it's a poem and write about your life. Then post it in the YWS lyrics section and have us critique it. Lyrics are going to be slightly different, since they have to be easy to say, but they're really not so much different from poetry. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:14 pm
View Likes
Mickiemoo says...

yeah, try writing a pom, then try singing it, see if it sounds right, and maybe change it abit, and you could always post it on the boards1 good luckx

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:47 am
Mr. Everyone says...

write a poem, and put it in lyric form, the only thing different between poems and songs is the timing of the words and the music
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:54 pm
sabradan says...

Well, do you just need to write lyrics, or music to it as well? Because theres a big difference there. If you just need to write lyrics, then all you need to do is write basically lyric poetry, just make sure its a rhyming verse style, with rhyming at least every other line. Also, make sure the flow/meter is good and even and "sounds" songy.
If you have to write actual music to it, its more complecated because the lyrics SHOULD match the music. If this is the case, PM me, I have multiple years of music/songwriting background.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:09 pm
RoxanneR says...

One good thing is that it doesn't have to rhyme. I mean, it can if you want it too, but that's gotta be a lot harder than just writing a peom and singing it!

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:24 pm
xlilxzox says...

no, we just have to doa song with a steady rythem..you know what i mean...no music...luckily!
When one door closes...another one opens...I think I've gone through ALL the doors in the world...

You say tomatoe i say tomato...?
I say potatoe you say potato...?
I say date you say...? Yes

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:20 pm
View Likes
de_budding says...

[Edit] I was foolish enough not to check teh dates, and i assume this work was handed in long ago... >.>[Edit]

Can anyone remember what rap is derived from?..

R.A.P...

Rhythm. And. Poetry!!!

It IS poetry and like you said you would have no problems writing a poem.

Only difference is once the poem is written a *producer can add some **meter maybe in the form of some pathetic hip-hop drum loop and hay-presto! You got your first RAP smash hit.

Just bear in mind that when writing a 'RAP' that you need to [traditionally] indicate spaces where you breathe in. This is indicated with a forward slash '/' (but I don’t think your teacher will expect that... in fact she would probably scorn you for not using grammar to indicate breathing placement,)

it is hard to ask someone with absolutely no musical background to write a 'RAP' because it involves.. The complex division of the meter done in even steps or alternatively the multiplication of the meter. This gives you 'Hit points' which are the structures of the rhythms you speak. Any musicians will know that there is no steady rhythm for the lyrics, the lyrics embellish the song with triplets, semi-quavers, even demi-semi-quavers with some of the faster artists like Twister. The rhythms change all the time and are actually more complex than some the artists realise I think.

So... considering that, I think your teacher is basically asking you to write a poem but just trying to change the context for some of the students who might be less enthusiastic about that

Only way you can make a poem, without music, more like rap is to add some more rhythm to the lyrical structure.

Google 'consonance' and 'alliteration', these make for great rhythmical tools, also traditionally RAP does rhyme, this is what sets it aside from poetry and helps us to perceive the end of a ***bar.

*Producer – In hip-hop a producers generates the ‘music’ of a song for the lyricist to add his lyrics
**Meter- In music is the ‘rhythm’ or ‘timing’ of a song
***Bar – in music a bar is a full circle of a length of time indicated by the ‘Meter’ (e.g. 1 2 3 4 – 1 2 3 4- 1 2 3 4.) in that example “1 2 3 4” indicated one bar

dan x
"One who understands much displays a greater simplicity of character than one who understands little."
-Alexander Chase

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead