Young Writers Society

The Maths Thread

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 pm
View Likes
TopKeks says...

Every day man's on the block

Yooo, in case this wasn't already obvious, I'm hella bored at work like all day every day, so I joke about online with friends, on forums, on social media, on help support desks, you name it.

I do enjoy a good maths though. I've got an A-level in Maths, and got a first in a mathsy module at uni. So hit me up in this thread, post equations, algebra, whatever. I can't guarantee I'll remember everything from school, but I'll help wherever I can.

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:56 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

Consider the steps for determining the quotient of Image .
The quotient will be (an imaginary/ a polynomial/ a rational/ a quadratic) expression.

Complete the statements to choose a numerator and denominator to represent the quotient.
The numerator of the simplified quotient is (1 / 3 / x / 4x).
The denominator of the simplified quotient is (1 / 4 / x – 4 / 4x – 8 ).
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

@queenshadowgem psst can I supply an explanation >.>

So the first step you've to do is flip one of the fractions and turn the division sign into a multiplication sign, right?

That gets us 12/(x-4) * (x-4)/4. The bottom number of the first fraction cancels out the top number of the second fraction, so we end up with 12/4, which simplifies to 3. This means the quotient will be a rational expression. The numerator, the number on top, is 3, and the denominator is 1 (you can't see it but 3 is technically the same as 3/1).

does that make sense? <3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:15 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

a little bit :O thank you <3 i made a thread for my math so i didnt completely clutter this one I need help with my math adfghjkl. ty <3
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous