Young Writers Society

The Maths Thread

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 pm
View Likes
TopKeks says...

Every day man's on the block

Yooo, in case this wasn't already obvious, I'm hella bored at work like all day every day, so I joke about online with friends, on forums, on social media, on help support desks, you name it.

I do enjoy a good maths though. I've got an A-level in Maths, and got a first in a mathsy module at uni. So hit me up in this thread, post equations, algebra, whatever. I can't guarantee I'll remember everything from school, but I'll help wherever I can.

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:56 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

Consider the steps for determining the quotient of Image .
The quotient will be (an imaginary/ a polynomial/ a rational/ a quadratic) expression.

Complete the statements to choose a numerator and denominator to represent the quotient.
The numerator of the simplified quotient is (1 / 3 / x / 4x).
The denominator of the simplified quotient is (1 / 4 / x – 4 / 4x – 8 ).
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

@queenshadowgem psst can I supply an explanation >.>

So the first step you've to do is flip one of the fractions and turn the division sign into a multiplication sign, right?

That gets us 12/(x-4) * (x-4)/4. The bottom number of the first fraction cancels out the top number of the second fraction, so we end up with 12/4, which simplifies to 3. This means the quotient will be a rational expression. The numerator, the number on top, is 3, and the denominator is 1 (you can't see it but 3 is technically the same as 3/1).

does that make sense? <3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:15 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

a little bit :O thank you <3 i made a thread for my math so i didnt completely clutter this one I need help with my math adfghjkl. ty <3
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy